Coronavirus Impact on Football for 2020 in all Classifications

Coach Rab

These are just a few thoughts and a nice topic of discussion for all classifications.

1) I believe these huge layoffs will benefit schools with heavy Senior classes.  Without the 4 weeks of being able to touch the football during the spring for lower classifications and the inability of spring games for 5 and 6A this will look to benefit experience.  Throw in the idea that this could last through all of June, we are also missing out on reps for younger kids in hours allowed each week during the summer, meaning you are leaning on experience and maturity.

2) How will this affect the level of play that we are used to seeing?  I feel that we are going to have a solid 50% of the kids coming in out of shape and unprepared for the 2020 season.  

3) Towns with "at-home resources" will thrive.  At home gyms and naturally athletic families will shine in 2020, especially early.  Watch for the kids who worked out at home with dad and uncle etc to be your All-State early front runners.

4)  How is technology playing a role?  We are using Hudl to work offense and defensive installs with our staff and kids.  These are mental reps, but how much will these resources impact week 1?

Now for you East and Central Texas folks, what schools do you see separating from the pack due to these weird unconventional times?

Feel free to take this topic anywhere.

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

These are just a few thoughts and a nice topic of discussion for all classifications.

1) I believe these huge layoffs will benefit schools with heavy Senior classes.  Without the 4 weeks of being able to touch the football during the spring for lower classifications and the inability of spring games for 5 and 6A this will look to benefit experience.  Throw in the idea that this could last through all of June, we are also missing out on reps for younger kids in hours allowed each week during the summer, meaning you are leaning on experience and maturity.

2) How will this affect the level of play that we are used to seeing?  I feel that we are going to have a solid 50% of the kids coming in out of shape and unprepared for the 2020 season.  

3) Towns with "at-home resources" will thrive.  At home gyms and naturally athletic families will shine in 2020, especially early.  Watch for the kids who worked out at home with dad and uncle etc to be your All-State early front runners.

4)  How is technology playing a role?  We are using Hudl to work offense and defensive installs with our staff and kids.  These are mental reps, but how much will these resources impact week 1?

Now for you East and Central Texas folks, what schools do you see separating from the pack due to these weird unconventional times?

Feel free to take this topic anywhere.

I seen kids up at the field running and throwing the ball around... Staying active is the key right now and the skill position players are still working out here the best they can

3 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

I seen kids up at the field running and throwing the ball around... Staying active is the key right now and the skill position players are still working out here the best they can

Seen lots of kids at fields doing whatever...... but is that really smart with what’s going on now?

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Seen lots of kids at fields doing whatever...... but is that really smart with what’s going on now?

We shut down our school and fields.  We encourage our kids to work out with their dad or brother.  Stay away from groups

4 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

To be honest they are high school kids and they are goin to do whatever they want to do because like most high school kids they are invincible in their minds

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

To be honest they are high school kids and they are goin to do whatever they want to do because like most high school kids they are invincible in their minds

Every HS/college coaches dream, kids doing whatever they want (and not following the law while at it.......depending on how big groups are). 

3 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

If the schools post signs near the entry areas of the fields that say they are closed to everyone,  90% of the athletes will obey.

With a little talk from law enforcement, most of the other 10% will stay away. 

48 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Kids will do what they want a lot, but in an instance like this, I would think the parents would have a say....unless they are also not concerned about the current situation...

Exactly. Kids may “do what they want to do” but that is only because they are allowed to. I have a daughter with a very rare lung disease. Do you think she has left the house ?  Absolutely not. Do you think she wants to ?  Well hell yes she does. But when it comes to health and safety my rules override her desires. I know not everyone has a kid with the problems that mine has but if you think about the ones that do just a little you will adhere to the guidelines. 

3 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Actually it's looking pretty good for the fall. As far as spring is concerned, I think Carthage will be just fine. That dude can prepare in a small amount of time better that anyone I've seen in HS.

COVID-19 projections

I think this situation definitely swings things in favor of experience and great coaching. If Carthage has quite a few returning starters, they’re going to be even stronger than normal, given how good that staff is. As far as my Joaquin Rams, I have a ton of confidence in our staff, but we’re gonna be very young this year, and our youngsters needed the spring and the 7-on-7 experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoHogg said:

Underlying health conditions are going to be or should be a major consideration when schools reopen.  Districts need to be thinking it now as to how they are going to protect students and employees with similar and other underlying health conditions as your daughter.  Hope it all works out for your daughter and others.  

I agree as much as it #### for my daughter. Even with her condition she is a very active student. She is an officer on the drill team and next year will be her senior year. It worries me and while I want her to have the best senior year possible it may come with limitations. 

41 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I predict a LOT of ugly football for the first 3-4 weeks if we start back in August.  Busted plays, incomplete passes, fumbles, etc.  Defenses will give up a lot of big plays too.  But the punters are going to SHINE!

I agree for those schools with coaches who try to install most of the playbook by the first game..........Some coaches may opt for more of 1975 to 1995 type game for the first few weeks(limited number of plays from a limited set of formations), including defense, and gradually add more as the season progresses 

I don't think  this will  hurt established programs near as much as programs that are say four years  old or younger. Newton's Pee Wee football program is the same as varsity and this same system has been in Newton since 1970, I think.  I do think in smaller classifications that the better the athlete, the  more they will shine this year. Technique will be a little lacking especially in the trenches. I do think the powerhouses will get it done, they always do.

Edited by jimmyw
The word not was a brain ####.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:41 AM, Eagleborn said:

Every HS/college coaches dream, kids doing whatever they want (and not following the law while at it.......depending on how big groups are). 

Free men don't follow unconstitutional edicts from tyrants.....

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Pretty sure the only man he considers truly free resides in a bunker near Colmesneil, TX. 

Hunkering down in a bunker would be actually obeying these unconstitutional edicts....i am out and about as usual.....