Coronavirus Impact on Football for 2020 in all Classifications

Coach Rab

8 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

How will this impact the 2021 recruiting class if most aren’t able to take the ACT and SAT? Will the NCAA exempt them or just lower the score? This will have a huge impact on not just athletes but kids getting into college.

Gonna be interesting with that plus available roster spots next few years. 

On 4/10/2020 at 9:41 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

I predict a LOT of ugly football for the first 3-4 weeks if we start back in August.  Busted plays, incomplete passes, fumbles, etc.  Defenses will give up a lot of big plays too.  But the punters are going to SHINE!

Some punters may shine while others of us have forgotten what a punt even is....Haha

On 4/10/2020 at 9:41 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

Defenses will give up a lot of big plays too.  But the punters are going to SHINE!

You are both right and wrong. With "social distancing" guidelines in effect, the offenses should be able to score on every play. But no one will ever have to punt. 😉

On 4/9/2020 at 3:50 PM, MavGrad99 said:

These are just a few thoughts and a nice topic of discussion for all classifications.

1) I believe these huge layoffs will benefit schools with heavy Senior classes.  Without the 4 weeks of being able to touch the football during the spring for lower classifications and the inability of spring games for 5 and 6A this will look to benefit experience.  Throw in the idea that this could last through all of June, we are also missing out on reps for younger kids in hours allowed each week during the summer, meaning you are leaning on experience and maturity.

2) How will this affect the level of play that we are used to seeing?  I feel that we are going to have a solid 50% of the kids coming in out of shape and unprepared for the 2020 season.  

3) Towns with "at-home resources" will thrive.  At home gyms and naturally athletic families will shine in 2020, especially early.  Watch for the kids who worked out at home with dad and uncle etc to be your All-State early front runners.

4)  How is technology playing a role?  We are using Hudl to work offense and defensive installs with our staff and kids.  These are mental reps, but how much will these resources impact week 1?

Now for you East and Central Texas folks, what schools do you see separating from the pack due to these weird unconventional times?

Feel free to take this topic anywhere.

Sadly there will be no nothing this yr due to this.

9 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Carthage has been doing that for years . I bet the punter doesn’t even know he is the punter.

In all honesty, we probably had one of the best pure punters in the area in 2019 and he never got to punt a single ball in a game.  He boomed 50+ yard spirals in pregame warmups that would turn over in flight just like they are supposed to.  Beautiful.  Fortunately (and unfortunately for him) the only punts we had in season were pooch punts by the QB.

If schools are allowed to go back into session in May, anyone know what plans their schools have in place?  I’ve only seen proposals around here, but they are all over the place and nothing formal yet

26 minutes ago, Aledo said:

At least she would have a senior year. Think of all the seniors who only play spring sports! I feel really bad for them!

No doubt. I know kids who it affected. Not just on the high school level but the college level. It’s very unfortunate.  

What happens when somebody gets the virus and are traced back to having either attended a game or played in one.  Based on what happened in March they will shut it down.  Of all the people who will attend or play in a game somebody is going to get it.  Just like somebody always gets the flu out of any given crowd.

8 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

That is very possible but I sure hope you are wrong. 

I do too!!! There’s a lot of bodily fluids involved in the game of football. But the way they’re talking about NFL games being in bubble cities with no fans makes me think there’s no way for college o HS football. My wife’s school district sent out an email that stated to be prepared for fall online classes to start the school year in DFW.

I can see us social security veterans being banned from games and all that purchase tickets or players (any UIL participate ) having to have a vaccination and proof of it to be able to attend or participate in any games. It want be long before people exercising will be doing alone for fear of the virus.