ESPN’s QBU Rankings (1998- today)

Stoney

802A9980-E857-442F-A714-112126A572CC.jpeg

Im a homer as much as anybody but one Heisman winner, a guy who played more WR than QB and freaking Kellen Mond ain’t enough to be a QBU. Oklahoma should have been #1. Heupel, White, Jones, Bradford, Mayfield, Murray. That’s a darn good stretch of QBs. 

5 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It is hard to see how 3 Heisman Winners and three #1 overall picks is not the best trio up there. 

That is not even including a Heisman winner and two other Heisman finalists.

I agree 100%.

Its a mystery to me how OU only has 1 national title this century. They have been near top 5 of pretty much every list of players like this you can put together. 

42 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree 100%.

Its a mystery to me how OU only has 1 national title this century. They have been near top 5 of pretty much every list of players like this you can put together. 

That is what shaped me into a pessimist.

From 2000 - 2009, they played in 4 and won 1, and honestly it really just came down to bad breaks/not performing.

2000 - upset Florida State

2003 - upset by LSU with an injured Jason White

2004 - blasted by USC

2008 - Lost a close game to a good Florida team without Demarco Murray. 

Since 2010 the issue has been defense. Of the the four playoff teams I really feel like the 2017 team who lost to Georgia was the best team that year, but we all know what happened. 

2015 and 2018 I thought Oklahoma deserved to be there, but was not good enough to win the title. 

2019 was just they had to pick 4 teams and dominoes fell right to make Oklahoma ranked #4

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I saw a talking head day OU got dinged because Baker and Kyler transferred in and weren’t groomed by OU. 

I’m not sure why that would matter. 

Which is crazy because Baker and Kyler were developed at Oklahoma. They were not grad transfers. 

The Kyler at Texas A&M was definitely not the same guy as the Kyler at Oklahoma. The same for Baker.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It is hard to see how 3 Heisman Winners and three #1 overall picks is not the best trio up there. 

That is not even including a Heisman winner and two other Heisman finalists.

Because sports figures have become celebrities, and USC is out in celebrity land. USC quarterbacks always seem to get ranked higher than deserved IMO.

15 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Which is crazy because Baker and Kyler were developed at Oklahoma. They were not grad transfers. 

The Kyler at Texas A&M was definitely not the same guy as the Kyler at Oklahoma. The same for Baker.

That, in itself, may actually be the knock against them. Once you also add Jalen Hurts to that list, the argument could be made that it's the system. For 3 QB's to go from average, to Heisman winner/finalist and #1 picks, all while transferring to the same school, could raise some doubt. 

That said, they're still listed at #2, and USC will always be considered QBU by ESPN, regardless how many of them bust in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

That, in itself, may actually be the knock against them. Once you also add Jalen Hurts to that list, the argument could be made that it's the system. For 3 QB's to go from average, to Heisman winner/finalist and #1 picks, all while transferring to the same school, could raise some doubt. 

That said, they're still listed at #2, and USC will always be considered QBU by ESPN, regardless how many of them bust in the NFL.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that Kyler and Baker transferred in did not start right away. Baker had to sit out a year and Kyler had two years in the Oklahoma program before he became the starter.

13 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I guess what I was really trying to say is that Kyler and Baker transferred in did not start right away. Baker had to sit out a year and Kyler had two years in the Oklahoma program before he became the starter.

Gotcha. Yes, being able to sit a year and learn the playbook, players, etc first is always a plus, especially for a QB. That's why I'll never understand these incoming freshman that decide to transfer because they didn't win the starting job as a freshman. Not many do. 

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Gotcha. Yes, being able to sit a year and learn the playbook, players, etc first is always a plus, especially for a QB. That's why I'll never understand these incoming freshman that decide to transfer because they didn't win the starting job as a freshman. Not many do. 

It’s a instant gratification society nowadays. These kids want to walk in day 1 starters so they can bounce in 3 years. Riding the bench and learning is the worst thing you can do them.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

It’s a instant gratification society nowadays. These kids want to walk in day 1 starters so they can bounce in 3 years. Riding the bench and learning is the worst thing you can do them.

What doesn’t make sense to me is you can still leave after 3 years regardless if you redshirt or start... these kids are doing themselves major harm by rushing their careers and leaving good situations too early. You only need one good season to be drafted high. 

If Immediate playing time is that important, stop committing to these championship caliber teams that already have a established starter or a couple of highly ranked veterans to compete with. There’s nothing more mind boggling to me than watching a Texas kid commit to Bama knowing full well there are 2-3 years worth of high ranked kids in front of you already there to compete with. Then after half a season be upset because you didn’t beat them out and end up transferring back home or to a mid major just to get playing time faster. Stop falling for the trap if playing time is that important. You’re rarely better than the same ranked kid the year before you who already has a year ahead in development... just insane decisions even for high school kids. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@WETSU lotta kids need to look at Joe Burrow.  Commits to Ohio State. Redshirts. RS freshman doesn’t play. RS Sophomore doesn’t play. Not on the NFL’s radar at all. Grad transfers to LSU. RS Junior is good but not exactly tearing up the NFL Draft boards. RS Senior leads his team to a Natty, Heisman Winner and possible #1 pick in draft. Faster ain’t always better. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@WETSU lotta kids need to look at Joe Burrow.  Commits to Ohio State. Redshirts. RS freshman doesn’t play. RS Sophomore doesn’t play. Not on the NFL’s radar at all. Grad transfers to LSU. RS Junior is good but not exactly tearing up the NFL Draft boards. RS Senior leads his team to a Natty, Heisman Winner and possible #1 pick in draft. Faster ain’t always better. 

His Jr year was on the offensive scheme.  All 5-6 players Burrow regularly targeted played with him in 2018.  But LSU ran a lot of power formations.  2 RB 1 TE 2WR stuff.  1 RB 2 TE crap.  New offense, 4-5 WRs every play and he is all of a sudden has the best season we have ever seen passing?  That’s on Ed O and the OC in 2018.  Kudos to them in 2019 which is why anyone who voted for anyone other than Ed O for CotY in 2019 needs to be beaten until they can’t stand anymore.

• Like 2