San Marcos Job

Coach1990

What does everybody think about his job? They have struggled in the past with some good years sprinkled in. I know it's a great area to live in and with businesses booming in the area could bring in good talent. I heard they had a big renovation and got great facilities now. Any frontrunners?

• 3 weeks later...

Been really quiet on this one. I wonder if they have anybody in mind and if they are moving forward with interviews? I went to college back when it was Southwest Texas State and go and visit from time to time. So I have seen the tremendous change since I lived there. I coach in the Dallas Metroplex and I don't know if the Austin Area will become that massive but it is definitely growing exponentially each time I go back. This job was intriguing because of the area. Looking at the realignment they are in a tough district for the next couple of years but can definitely get in the playoffs in the 3rd spot or 4th spot. This has the potential to be a great job in the future. One horse town at least as of now. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Everide2016 said:

Could be a good job, but few in the area think much of their program at present.  When talking football in the area, I've never heard San Marcos brought up and that's having lived here for 20 years.

Agreed. I was pertaining to the growth of the city could contribute to them becoming a great job with businesses moving there. Many kids hopefully athletes would be moving into the school district with people relocating. But to keep athletes there you would have to win. I assume with good programs north and south of San Marcos, many kids or parents have chosen to play elsewhere. Definitely who ever gets the job will have their work cut out for them. 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, Coach1990 said:

Matt Stepp put out a tweet yesterday that San Marcos is hiring somebody Monday. I expect it to be a huge hire. Probably a well known coach with some state championships under his belt.

John Walsh. Really huge hire, about as good as you can get for any job. But to get someone as quality as him during this time is a fantastic hire. The next 2 years there will be some growing pains but there enrollment was  a little over 100 kids to put them over into 6a. There could be an outside shot that they can go back to 5a. Very small chance but I know they have done that at Guyer. Their district top to bottom is better for them now, than the district they were in. They have a viable shot at getting 3rd or 4th place spot. Plus, if you win, you will be able to retain athletes that chose to move to neighboring districts. Or vice- versa, you have athletes that move in to play for the program...Only time will tell. 

On 5/27/2020 at 1:00 PM, Everide2016 said:

Was there a reason Walsh left Guyer other than a new challenge?

Reading his interviews in the News he liked the fact that San Marcos was a one horse town and that it did present a new challenge. It sounded like he wanted to be at a place that needed him. He has already won a couple of state titles and going to a place where they have done it already wouldn't prove anything. But I think going to a place that hasn't and the challenge of building it into a championship team would be another accomplishment in itself. Also, facilities and him being the Athletic Director and not the Athletic coordinator was a big one, not having to answer to another AD. A lot more power and autonomy with that. I posted a link to an interview he did with Matt Stepp.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/05/18/legendary-txhsfb-coach-john-walsh-has-a-new-head-coaching-gig-here-s-where-he-s-headed?ref=article_preview_img