Arlington ISD to play at Globe Life Park, ditching UTA

Mavchamp

Arlington ISD and Texas Rangers reached an agreement for AISD to play football games at Globe Life Park. 

Globe Life Park will become the home stadium for Arlington and Arlington Martin, replacing UT-Arlington’s Maverick Stadium. AISD will not play games at UTA next season. AISD will continue to hold games at Cravens Field and Wilemon Field as well. AISD will be building a new stadium on Martin’s campus, and Cravens and Wilemon will undergo renovations down the road. Globe Life Park will give AISD a third stadium for its schools to share until all of that is complete.

https://cbsloc.al/34IadrM

870EBA42-CC9B-4537-8D3A-EEFA1AE3DBE2.jpeg

I wonder if the number of fans will be enough to cover the costs.  If so, then why build a new stadium.  In my opinion Globe Life Park is still in great shape.  I still don't know why the Rangers demanded a new stadium.  They still use Independence Stadium for high school football games, and I didn't realize that stadium is almost 100 years old in 4 years.  I thought it was built in the 50's.  

UTA's stadium must be in rough shape.  I've never been there so, I don't know.  But with no college team there... and now their two high school tenants leaving, that pretty much leaves the place abandoned.  

Can't blame them for wanting to switch.  Globe life is a great facility.  

While Globe life doesn't have great sight lines for football for a capacity crowd..... it has great views for 25-30,000... which is more than most HS games would bring.

Great to see more uses being found for the old Ballpark.  Apparently they are really going to push it as an outdoor concert venue.  

Side note:  STILL boggles my mind that a school the size of UTA doesn't have a football program.... even if it was Div II.  

18 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I wonder if the number of fans will be enough to cover the costs.  If so, then why build a new stadium.  In my opinion Globe Life Park is still in great shape.  I still don't know why the Rangers demanded a new stadium.  They still use Independence Stadium for high school football games, and I didn't realize that stadium is almost 100 years old in 4 years.  I thought it was built in the 50's.  

They didn’t actually build it for AISD. The Dallas Renegades played there and it was converted for them. I know UTA has been going up drastically in rent for AISD and the stadium over the last few years. Globe Life was probably cheaper for AISD. UTA’s stadium will now be the largest track venue around since UTA hasn’t played football in years.

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

UTA's stadium must be in rough shape.  I've never been there so, I don't know.  But with no college team there... and now their two high school tenants leaving, that pretty much leaves the place abandoned.  

Can't blame them for wanting to switch.  Globe life is a great facility.  

While Globe life doesn't have great sight lines for football for a capacity crowd..... it has great views for 25-30,000... which is more than most HS games would bring.

Great to see more uses being found for the old Ballpark.  Apparently they are really going to push it as an outdoor concert venue.  

Side note:  STILL boggles my mind that a school the size of UTA doesn't have a football program.... even if it was Div II.  

UTA is a Div.I FCS school and member of the SunBelt conference. It’s actually in pretty good shape. Field turf was installed in 08, the old AstroTurf before then was like playing on cement.

7 minutes ago, randomuser said:

They didn’t actually build it for AISD. The Dallas Renegades played there and it was converted for them. I know UTA has been going up drastically in rent for the stadium over the last few years. Globe Life was probably cheaper for AISD. UTA’s stadium will now be the largest track venue around since UTA hasn’t played football in years.

The built it in 1994 when it had the retarded name of The Ball Park at Arlington or as the Hardline would call it The Temple.  I've been to more baseball games at that park than probably any other.  

3 minutes ago, randomuser said:

UTA is a Div.I FCS school and member of the SunBelt conference. It’s actually in pretty good shape. Field turf was installed in 08, the old AstroTurf before then was like playing on cement.

Where did you get this information ?  I'd love to read the article.  Globe Life Park has always had turf as far back as 1994.  In the 1999 season they actually had black dirt for the infield and warning track.  I thought that was cool, because when I was a kid my Dad said you know you're in Dallas when you start seeing the black dirt.  He "said" it was because of all of the oil in the ground.  

1 minute ago, randomuser said:

Seems like they could strike up a nice rivalry with North Texas.

Texas State and UT San Antonio could be good in-state rivals too.

After they got established they could maybe get SMU and TCU to schedule them for a powder puff September game game that would put some $$$ in their pockets.

I don't see how it would be a negative thing for the school to get back into the football business.  

I didn't realize Snyder was using AISD facilities too.  I looked up their stadium and it's old (1950's) and really small (about 5,500).  Guess that's why they use the bigger venues in Arlington.

39 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Where did you get this information ?  I'd love to read the article.  Globe Life Park has always had turf as far back as 1994.  In the 1999 season they actually had black dirt for the infield and warning track.  I thought that was cool, because when I was a kid my Dad said you know you're in Dallas when you start seeing the black dirt.  He "said" it was because of all of the oil in the ground.  

It’s not an article it’s from personal coaching on the field. I’m talking about UTA’s field not The Temple.

• Like 1

I grew up pre-1990 when fields could be used for any sport.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a-look-at-historic-mlb-and-nfl-multi-purpose-stadiums-as-they-are-set-to-become-a-thing-of-the-past/ .  Of course my favorite stadium will always be the Astrodome.   My second Busch Stadium in St. Louis.  I tried looking for a video of the St. Louis arch in this video, and it was great to see over the stadium.  You can see the seems on  the field where they attempted to make the field playable.  One thing I never heard of in the 70's was turf toe.  It's amazing to me that more injuries didn't happen back in the day, when the NFL was rougher and tougher than today.  

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Football on baseball field. Meh. 🙄

16 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

They wanted a new stadium because nobody goes to Sunday afternoon games in July and August because its 153 degrees outside.  Plus the Texas heat is a disadvantage to your team having to play in it all summer.

16 hours ago, randomuser said:

Sun Belt is FBS Div. 1 not FCS. Southland Conference is FCS.

1 hour ago, ChynaStopper said:

UTA does not play football...lots of wrong info on this thread 

I don’t think they have played football since the mid to late 80s. 

i think they have tried to bring it back a few times but the students have consistently voted it down because of the fee increases they would incur to enroll each semester. 

Ive heard UT-Dallas has discussed adding football.  They are NCAA D-3 and in the same conference as ETBU in Marshall and Leterneau in Longview (no football there though).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

They wanted a new stadium because nobody goes to Sunday afternoon games in July and August because its 153 degrees outside.  Plus the Texas heat is a disadvantage to your team having to play in it all summer.

I attended many, and it was just fine.  Rarely did they play day games in July and August, but you could count me in if I had the day off.  My job used to provide free tickets to Rangers games back in the day.  I'd also buy the package deal coupons or buy tickets cheap through a broker if someone had already requested tickets.  

The Rangers have annually had the least number of day games in MLB by far for decades.  It’s a trend I’m sure they’d like to see change.  

Night games are tough on school nights in April May, part of August, and September. 

Having attended more than my fair share of afternoon games in Arlington since I was a kid.... I’m thrilled to see a roof.  Some of those games were brutal.  

End of the day.... the Tax Payers embraced the idea of the stadium or my guess is that the Rangers would have built in Dallas, or Frisco area, or even Fort Worth.  

I think Arlington has a pretty good thing going with AT&T, Globe life, and Globe Park.   Sounds like all three will remain busy.  AND from what I understand.... the tax debt on all of them has/will be forgiven much sooner than expected because of the strong economies they have built.  

jMHO. 

28 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The Rangers have annually had the least number of day games in MLB by far for decades.  It’s a trend I’m sure they’d like to see change.  

Night games are tough on school nights in April May, part of August, and September. 

Having attended more than my fair share of afternoon games in Arlington since I was a kid.... I’m thrilled to see a roof.  Some of those games were brutal.  

End of the day.... the Tax Payers embraced the idea of the stadium or my guess is that the Rangers would have built in Dallas, or Frisco area, or even Fort Worth.  

I think Arlington has a pretty good thing going with AT&T, Globe life, and Globe Park.   Sounds like all three will remain busy.  AND from what I understand.... the tax debt on all of them has/will be forgiven much sooner than expected because of the strong economies they have built.  

jMHO. 

Day games are tough to go to though, unless you have the day off.   Who knows when baseball will start up or football for that matter.  I just wish I could go back in time.  I used to buy a season pass to Six Flags go there during the day,  park at the far end of the parking lot, and walk to The Ball Park for the night game.  The thing I hated was if I had tickets, and got off early from work to go to a game, traffic on I 30 the old DFW Tollway now Tom Landry Freeway was a jam.   Sometimes we wouldn't make it inside until the 3rd inning.  

7 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Didn’t realize this many people cared about the rangers lol

I’ve been a Rangers fan longer than I’ve been a football fan. Technically.  

Although.....I was going to Marshall football games before I could walk.   I enjoyed baseball before I enjoyed football.

But since High school... football is my passion. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChynaStopper said:

Correct.  Ya I was referring to someone saying they were FCS and Sunbelt. Both false. Also the Sunbelt is not FCS. They are in the sunbelt for b-ball though. 

I know they don’t play football as I coached half a mile down the street at Arlington High but all other sports are Sun Belt.