No Fall Football

Panther89

4 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

Whats going to happen when some kid on a team catches the Chinese Flu?  That will happen.  Will they shut down just that team?  Any team that they played?  The whole district?  The whole state?  

There needs to be parameters in place to determine what will be protocol when that happens because it will happen.  Having scared of their shadow administrators and politicians making knee jerk decisions clearly is not working.  At this point they need to say play ball regardless of what may happen or pull the plug completely by June 1st.  Shutting down a season after 3 games would be more devastating then no season at all for the kids.  

Kids get sick all of the time.  As an athletic trainer, I would send them home, have parents monitor them.  If it gets bad go to the hospital... you know, the same as any other illness.

which is what we should have done with this crap from the start.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Kids get sick all of the time.  As an athletic trainer, I would send them home, have parents monitor them.  If it gets bad go to the hospital... you know, the same as any other illness.

which is what we should have done with this ####.

AMEN. 

• Like 1

Kids aren't getting this ####. Even if they do it's not a death sentence. 98.5% of evbody recovers. People have over reacted with this big time. But it's an election year so it happens all the time. No way a political person is gonna gamble with loss of any life. No win situation. With that being said I expect ftball to be played in Texas

• Like 1

There is no reason to not think we don't start improving here in the U.S., just like they are in all the other Countries.  As the 2nd largest populated state in the U.S. with 29M people, Texas has never been higher than #10 on the list for COVID 19 cases, Houston area has been the big hotspot.   I agree that things are different, they will be continue to be different in many ways in the future.  I think we will have some form of a football season and as soon as our restrictions are modified, then the economy will come back by the end of the year.  Just need to get the healthy people back to work and those who have an immunity to this virus.  

How the State of Texas and the UIL accomplishes all of this, I do not know.  I agree with MavChamp, unless there is a  2nd wave in the fall, there should be a season, people need to get back to work , of course using good sense precautions.   He may correct me on this, but I've read that 98% of the cases are mild, so the more people who get the immunity the better.  

State of Texas has plenty of money set aside in their Rainy-day Fund,  the schools will be able to operate normally for at least this next year.  They saved a bunch of money being closed these past few weeks.    In Angelina County, we have only had 27 cases and no deaths, so far, out of a population of almost 88,000.  No way to know about the mild cases that may have occurred. unless those folks were tested.  We have been fortunate.

Lots of unanswered questions on where and what direction to go.  Thankfully, we don't need to make those decisions and the experts will hopefully advise what is best for everyone.  Personally, I'm all for moving forward and facing whatever is in our future. We can't stay cooped up, it doesn't do anyone any good long term.  Getting out, and getting on with life and allowing business to move back toward something that looks normal, is the best thing right now.  Hot spots are still the exception, Texas is not a hot spot.  NY, NJ and much of the NE is the hot spot.  Texas High school football will help everyone start feeling normal again., we all need it to happen.

13 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Kids aren't getting this ####. Even if they do it's not a death sentence. 98.5% of evbody recovers. People have over reacted with this big time. But it's an election year so it happens all the time. No way a political person is gonna gamble with loss of any life. No win situation. With that being said I expect ftball to be played in Texas

I think the worst move was to close the schools. The population needed the kids to spread the germs around and weaken the virus. Like you said, the kids haven't seemed to react as bad as the adults to this virus. Kids could have brought it home and the parents could have been exposed to a weaker strain.  

1 hour ago, DeBerryJacket said:

I think the worst move was to close the schools. The population needed the kids to spread the germs around and weaken the virus. Like you said, the kids haven't seemed to react as bad as the adults to this virus. Kids could have brought it home and the parents could have been exposed to a weaker strain.  

I am telling you right now, if the virus survives the summer and fall without a cure, it is going to hit us like a ton of bricks because we hid from it next winter.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

which is what we should have done with this #### from the start.

BUT...this isn't the same as any other illness. People were going to hospitals but the hospitals were getting overwhelmed. And usually by the time someone needs to go to a hospital, they probably need a ventilator, and there ain't enough.    There.have been as many deaths with COVID in 2 months than with the flu in a yr

I know several people who have gotten this illness and even a few that died. And the survivors have told me this is nothing like they have experienced before.

1 hour ago, DeBerryJacket said:

That isn't exactly how viruses work.  A virus mutates.  Until they find a vaccine or some antibody treatments, it ain't going away unless you quaratine. 

If we actually do a real quaratine for a month instead of what we are doing now, we could actually stop the spread of the disease and get back to normal much quicker.

7 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

BUT...this isn't the same as any other illness. People were going to hospitals but the hospitals were getting overwhelmed. And usually by the time someone needs to go to a hospital, they probably need a respirator, and there ain't enough.    There.have been as many deaths with COVID in 2 months than with the flu in a yr

I know several people who have gotten this illness and even a few that died. And the survivors have told me this is nothing like they have experienced before.

The number of deaths aren’t exactly accurate from what I’ve heard. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

The number of deaths aren’t exactly accurate from what I’ve heard. 

True, most of what I read says that they think the death totals are higher. But lack of testing has made it difficult to make an accurate count.  

i was a skeptic at first too. I also thought it was probably just like the flu and we need to be exposed to beat it.  But I live in an area where the COVID cases are very high and I know several people who got it (including a few close friends) and even a few that have died.  It ain't no joke.  One person I know was on a ventilator for 16 days, but she made it. 

I think we can beat it, but the one thing I agree with Mav99 about this, is that if we don't find a vaccine soon, it will hit us hard in the fall and winter. 

I'm amazed how a subscription to a sports forum automatically qualifies everyone to know more about a pathogen that the world's leading immunologists admit they still have not fully figured out.

I certainly don't have a crystal ball to forecast if high school sports return in any form next year.  My only hope is this: If they do, and the threat of COVID-19 remains high, I'd like to see the UIL loosen restrictions on live streaming of events.  I love watching HS sports, but I'm in that most vulnerable group and I'm not willing to risk a horrible death anchored to a ventilator to pack into a stadium or gym. 

Oddly enough, that shouldn't affect soccer matches, where it's easy to practice social distancing (from a spectator viewpoint) in near-empty football stadiums.  No knock on soccer, but I speak from personal experience. That's the last HS spectator sport that I saw in person (back on March 6) and I felt totally safe.

4 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

True, most of what I read says that they think the death totals are higher. But lack of testing has made it difficult to make an accurate count.  

i was a skeptic at first too. I also thought it was probably just like the flu and we need to be exposed to beat it.  But I live in an area where the COVID cases are very high and I know several people who got it (including a few close friends) and even a few that have died.  It ain't no joke.  One person I know was on a respirator for 16 days, but she made it. 

I think we can beat it, but the one thing I agree with Mav99 about this, is that if we don't find a vaccine soon, it will hit us hard in the fall and winter. 

I think it’s the other way around. I think more people have been infected than have been accounted for and there have been less deaths than are being reported. My daughter has a friend in Global Statistics that says if a person dies in a car wreck and gets an autopsy and tests positive for the Chinese virus, the are marked as a Covid-19 death. I’m sure several people are contracting it and toughing it out at home and never get tested. I also have 2 family members that are nurses and both say that their hospitals are overwhelmed. Other friends have told me the same. Bottom line is that it’s too hard to believe anything your hear anymore. I’m not gonna spend a second of my time worrying about it. I trust God and he’s given me the know how to survive even in the event that we went back to the caveman days with no electricity. A country boy can survive. 

1 minute ago, DeBerryJacket said:

They have also come out and said it was here long before Patient 1. Patient 1 wasn't actually Patient 1. Not everyone gets the same symptoms. Just like the flu, some people get hit harder than others. The hospitals are also chalking everything up to COVID-19 which skew the numbers the other way.  I agree that viruses mutate, but the longer they are out and spread around they weaken. Reports are coming out everyday where doctors and researchers believe more people have had and recovered from COVID-19. Sitting in the house and staying isolated leads to depression. It also weakens the immune system.

I’ve talked to several people that believe they had this virus well before this thing blew up, one being my wife. 

29 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

I think it’s the other way around. I think more people have been infected than have been accounted for and there have been less deaths than are being reported. My daughter has a friend in Global Statistics that says if a person dies in a car wreck and gets an autopsy and tests positive for the Chinese virus, the are marked as a Covid-19 death. I’m sure several people are contracting it and toughing it out at home and never get tested. I also have 2 family members that are nurses and both say that their hospitals are overwhelmed. Other friends have told me the same. Bottom line is that it’s too hard to believe anything your hear anymore. I’m not gonna spend a second of my time worrying about it. I trust God and he’s given me the know how to survive even in the event that we went back to the caveman days with no electricity. A country boy can survive. 

I'm not sure I believe that if a person dies from a car wreck, that they would test them for COVID. That makes no ssnse and would be a waste of time especially since it takes 2-5 days to get results back. But, I guess we have to agree to disagree.   

To stay on subject, I hope things will improve and I hope for the kids that we can get back to normal soon.  

I work in the ER... I haven’t personally cared for a COVID death yet, but I’ve cared for plenty of people that had it.  

The amount of misinformation on both sides of this issue is mind blowing. 

I can assure you.... no pathologist is going to risk their license to sign a death certificate that was not the KNOWN cause of death. The risk of getting sued or losing their medical practice would be too great. 

Especially if the death is in no way related to a respiratory problem.

If anything.... some respiratory deaths are simply being labeled as failure/pneumonia/ARDS when in fact it was likely COVID.   But without a positive test or an autopsy... it wouldn’t be labeled as the cause of death... even if it’s the presumptive reason. 

But people dying of strokes, heart attacks, and traumas being labeled as COVID deaths is absurd. No pathologist would sign that death certificate.  Too many things with insurances (health, death, life) could be brought to court for a false cause of death. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

BUT...this isn't the same as any other illness. People were going to hospitals but the hospitals were getting overwhelmed. And usually by the time someone needs to go to a hospital, they probably need a ventilator, and there ain't enough.    There.have been as many deaths with COVID in 2 months than with the flu in a yr

We have no natural immunity to it.  Why do you think other flus were deadly?  The Spanish flu?  Natural immunity 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I work in the ER... I haven’t personally cared for a COVID death yet, but I’ve cared for plenty of people that had it.  

The amount of misinformation on both sides of this issue is mind blowing. 

I can assure you.... no pathologist is going to risk their license to sign a death certificate that was not the KNOWN cause of death. The risk of getting sued or losing their medical practice would be too great. 

Especially if the death is in no way related to a respiratory problem.

If anything.... some respiratory deaths are simply being labeled as failure/pneumonia/ARDS when in fact it was likely COVID.   But without a positive test or an autopsy... it wouldn’t be labeled as the cause of death... even if it’s the presumptive reason. 

But people dying of strokes, heart attacks, and traumas being labeled as COVID deaths is absurd. No pathologist would sign that death certificate.  Too many things with insurances (health, death, life) could be brought to court for a false cause of death. 

100% agree.  And this virus is brutal due to our WBCs working overtime to fight it.  Throw in the pulmonary and random stomach issues that associate with the worst cases and it’s like combining the flu with the “stomach flu” with a bad cold with a touch of pneumonia.  Those cases are less than 4% of the positive tests... which lead to death in less than 1% of hospitalized cases.  

I know I am minimizing this with these percentages, but we shut down the world for 1%

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

100% agree.  And this virus is brutal due to our WBCs working overtime to fight it.  Throw in the pulmonary and random stomach issues that associate with the worst cases and it’s like combining the flu with the “stomach flu” with a bad cold with a touch of pneumonia.  Those cases are less than 4% of the positive tests... which lead to death in less than 1% of hospitalized cases.  

I know I am minimizing this with these percentages, but we shut down the world for 1%

We're gonna find out we shut down the world for much less than 1% when it's all said and done.....

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

Bill Gates never played football. This will go on until all of humanity agrees or is forced to take his vaccinations.

Well, you anti-vaxxers can refuse, but then you can never come out of your house.

And if you've already lost your house because of not being able to work, you'll be taken to the internment camps.

This is his "Revenge of the Nerds" on all jocks. 😂

< /sarcasm> (I hope)