No Fall Football

Panther89

On 6/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, LOL said:

R.I.P. local newspapers. Sports coverage pays the bills. News doesn't pay squat. 

I feel really bad for newspapers, because I grew up reading them religiously, and not just for sports.  I know they've tried subscription drives in the Houston area, but I haven't seen anyone out for the past month.  They were offering some side gifts as well, much like SI did back in the day.  It's going to kill a lot of those magazines as well, because the last I heard SI was now a monthly rag, and still no 2020 swimsuit edition which was their biggest seller.  I know Dave Campbell's will probably still be around, because it's a biannual publication.  Football will always be King in Texas.  I know all we can do is take a wait and see, but I wish we could know something for sure.  

18 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I feel really bad for newspapers, because I grew up reading them religiously, and not just for sports.  I know they've tried subscription drives in the Houston area, but I haven't seen anyone out for the past month.  They were offering some side gifts as well, much like SI did back in the day.  It's going to kill a lot of those magazines as well, because the last I heard SI was now a monthly rag, and still no 2020 swimsuit edition which was their biggest seller.  I know Dave Campbell's will probably still be around, because it's a biannual publication.  Football will always be King in Texas.  I know all we can do is take a wait and see, but I wish we could know something for sure.  

There are many things that can happen in our nation and economy with all that's going on in the world at this moment in time.  It could well be possible that UIL sports and even the public school system as we know it will all change little by little from here on out.......or even perhaps totally change within a short period of time(a few years).  There is no guarantee from what I can see that anything will remain reasonably  as it has been for many years.......everything seems to be in a state of change in our society here in the USA.  This is not the kind of social order of things that will support the status quo of anything......much less school systems and UIL sports.....just sayin'.

Something I read said UIL is considering it. From the sound of it, it is to give spring sports that lost their entire seasons last year, hope to at least play some in the fall. So if things shutdown again next winter/spring, they won't miss their entire seasons again. 

So I guess that would put football/volleyball starting late winter/early spring. 

On 6/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, tomlandry said:

there will not be any 

get ready all the SMOAKY POLICE will be out on the lookout for you if you say anything you SEE OR HEAR

The smoaky police is sick to stupid ####.  Sorry for shutting down your completely false claim that a news station reported that DISD shut down football for the fall.  Comments like this get people banned from this site.  It is something we hate doing, but we refuse to be a site that spreads heinous rumors around like candy at Halloween.  Sorry your butt is on fire from me hiding a thread, then sending you a quiet warning with no penalty reminding you to be able to back up your claim.

@Stoney @LOL @WestHardinfan1 @DaveTV1 and whoever else I missed....  Can you tell him what the usual penalty is for posting false reports and why he should be thankful it was me that found it?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

This is weird. Doubt it would fly in Texas. Also would be good for the footballs that wanna graduate early. 

Here is my proposal... I may send to the UIL if I can work out some details and get some feedback from my AD:

Fall Football: 1 scrimmage, play your district or 7 game season.  Playoffs become top 3 teams in each district.  This makes a 48 team playoff.  This should allow the winners of each of the 16 districts a BYE in the 1st round.  Playoffs should last 6 weeks making this a 13 week season.  That makes football finish a month earlier.  

The tricky part:  Districts with more than 8 teams.   I don't have a solution for this other than letting district committees sort out the district schedule.
The hard part:  We are less than 2 months away from everything getting started... It takes the UIL forever to fully implement anything and teams would be scrambling for games again.

Below is what a 48 team bracket would look like below.

48 Team Bracket - Single Elimination Printable Bracket

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, tomlandry said:

there will not be any 

get ready all the SMOAKY POLICE will be out on the lookout for you if you say anything you SEE OR HEAR

Per David Smoak himself, any rumors having to deal with recruitment, UIL, and school policies posted on this site without a confirmed source are grounds for a automatic ban. The ban can only be lifted by David himself when you can prove to him the validity of your rumors. Like @MavGrad99 stated, you’re getting off light. 

@MavGrad99 @WestHardinfan1 @LOL @DaveTV1 @trueblue82 @Crawford

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

When it comes to football that is inciting fear. Punishment is banishment lol or...... social media death. 

As somebody “new” to this site, leave the modding to @MavGrad99 @WestHardinfan1 @LOL @DaveTV1 @trueblue82 @Crawford and myself. Even if you are probably speaking from prior experience. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Here is my proposal... I may send to the UIL if I can work out some details and get some feedback from my AD:

Fall Football: 1 scrimmage, play your district or 7 game season.  Playoffs become top 3 teams in each district.  This makes a 48 team playoff.  This should allow the winners of each of the 16 districts a BYE in the 1st round.  Playoffs should last 6 weeks making this a 13 week season.  That makes football finish a month earlier.  

The tricky part:  Districts with more than 8 teams.   I don't have a solution for this other than letting district committees sort out the district schedule.
The hard part:  We are less than 2 months away from everything getting started... It takes the UIL forever to fully implement anything and teams would be scrambling for games again.

Below is what a 48 team bracket would look like below.

48 Team Bracket - Single Elimination Printable Bracket

Here's my proposal ....

Play the 2020 football season in it's entirety ... no partial schedule, no weird playoff brackets, no ending the season a month early ....

Play the full season and the full playoffs .....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

This is weird. Doubt it would fly in Texas. Also would be good for the footballs that wanna graduate early. 

Who knows, but I can't say it won't fly in Texas.  I loved watching the U.S.F.L. back in the day and enjoyed the XFL this past year.  We thought things were getting back to normal a little bit, and then bam back to square two.  Only time will tell what will happen with any sport.  I heard people complaining today about Tom Brady and his receivers corp practicing.  Sports broadcasters on two different stations were calling for them to be fined or suspended for games.  People are acting like even healthy people shouldn't congregate together.  This whole thing is weird.  

4 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Who knows, but I can't say it won't fly in Texas.  I loved watching the U.S.F.L. back in the day and enjoyed the XFL this past year.  We thought things were getting back to normal a little bit, and then bam back to square two.  Only time will tell what will happen with any sport.  I heard people complaining today about Tom Brady and his receivers corp practicing.  Sports broadcasters on two different stations were calling for them to be fined or suspended for games.  People are acting like even healthy people shouldn't congregate together.  This whole thing is weird.  

Yea you’re talking about professionals. Slightly different. 

What’s unfair is high school coaches not being able to be with their kids but there’s still baseball tournaments, soccer, basketball...... 7on7.... camps. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Yea you’re talking about professionals. Slightly different. 

What’s unfair is high school coaches not being able to be with their kids but there’s still baseball tournaments, soccer, basketball...... 7on7.... camps. 

Do any of us know what even tomorrow will bring ?  We're all in a state of flux at the current time.  LOL, it's not just high school coaches, but it goes down the line to everyone.  So we're all in speculation on what will happen.  We can only guess, assume, speculate, hope, pray, and trust in God that everything will be all right.  I can't do that right now, can you ?  I want to go eat lunch somewhere tomorrow, but do I even know if they are open ?  Do I know if certain items will be on the shelves tomorrow if I go to the grocery store to purchase them.  I've heard of mass hoarding again.  I do know that I where I work was even slower than normal, and the weekend has been the slowest day of the week in my area, because people are afraid of crowds even with social distancing and added steps for protection against spreading the Wuhan.  I heard Friday on "The Blitz" that A.J.'s little league season is over so are they really having these tournaments that you speak of ?  I'm not involved personally with them, and I accept what he stated as fact.  I'm out and about in the world, but I am staying safe so I don't hear or read as much news as I used to on a local level.  I read it on newsfeeds from my sources, and is that the honest to goodness news ?  I don't know.  It's that way for all of us, and I don't like it.  You want me to set a goal for the next 5 years of my life ?  I can't even set a goal for the next day, except I hope to wake up and somewhat live a normal life with restrictions.  I can't say that will happen. I wish I could say it, but with everything going on, who knows.  I could wake up tomorrow and the world no longer exists, except me, and then I'd have a field day.   

8 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Do any of us know what even tomorrow will bring ?  We're all in a state of flux at the current time.  LOL, it's not just high school coaches, but it goes down the line to everyone.  So we're all in speculation on what will happen.  We can only guess, assume, speculate, hope, pray, and trust in God that everything will be all right.  I can't do that right now, can you ?  I want to go eat lunch somewhere tomorrow, but do I even know if they are open ?  Do I know if certain items will be on the shelves tomorrow if I go to the grocery store to purchase them.  I've heard of mass hoarding again.  I do know that I where I work was even slower than normal, and the weekend has been the slowest day of the week in my area, because people are afraid of crowds even with social distancing and added steps for protection against spreading the Wuhan.  I heard Friday on "The Blitz" that A.J.'s little league season is over so are they really having these tournaments that you speak of ?  I'm not involved personally with them, and I accept what he stated as fact.  I'm out and about in the world, but I am staying safe so I don't hear or read as much news as I used to on a local level.  I read it on newsfeeds from my sources, and is that the honest to goodness news ?  I don't know.  It's that way for all of us, and I don't like it.  You want me to set a goal for the next 5 years of my life ?  I can't even set a goal for the next day, except I hope to wake up and somewhat live a normal life with restrictions.  I can't say that will happen. I wish I could say it, but with everything going on, who knows.  I could wake up tomorrow and the world no longer exists, except me, and then I'd have a field day.   

Eh........ I’ll be honest. I quit reading that halfway through. But I am sorry about AJ and his little league season. 

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The smoaky police is sick to stupid ####.  Sorry for shutting down your completely false claim that a news station reported that DISD shut down football for the fall.  Comments like this get people banned from this site.  It is something we hate doing, but we refuse to be a site that spreads heinous rumors around like candy at Halloween.  Sorry your butt is on fire from me hiding a thread, then sending you a quiet warning with no penalty reminding you to be able to back up your claim.

@Stoney @LOL @WestHardinfan1 @DaveTV1 and whoever else I missed....  Can you tell him what the usual penalty is for posting false reports and why he should be thankful it was me that found it?

Total ban.....he got lucky he caught you on a lenient day.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Here's my proposal ....

Play the 2020 football season in it's entirety ... no partial schedule, no weird playoff brackets, no ending the season a month early ....

Play the full season and the full playoffs .....

I agree with you.  My proposal would be simply for the idea of if they think they are going to have to shut it down in October or November .

45 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Will there be a shortage of face shields this fall?  If you want one better get one.  Might be like the great toilet paper shortage of March & April.

Face shields? ...We don't need no stinking face shields! ....

• LOL! 1