Gladewater

dillonpanthers

12 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Just curious but why would that make them less successful?

Imagine you are a 35 year old OC or DC at a 4A school with 3 kids and a wife that makes $12 an hour......You are being paid $75,000 at your school. 
You are offered $85,000 to be an AD/HF at  a 3A school.  You probably consider going. 
You are offered $65,000 to be HF only.  You probably aren’t going.  
Just examples on money, not saying they are exact by any means. 
Separating the AD and HF job does not mean you can’t be successful.  It just limits your choices. Gladewater may be extremely successful if they split the job. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Just curious but why would that make them less successful?

You tell me.  I am just watching what happens.  If you have counter examples where in a small school the head football coach wasn't the AD and they had a ton of success, i'd love to know.

7 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

You tell me.  I am just watching what happens.  If you have counter examples where in a small school the head football coach wasn't the AD and they had a ton of success, i'd love to know.

You aren't just watching. You made the statement, not me. I never said they would be. Your burden of proof not mine. I simply asked a question.

10 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Imagine you are a 35 year old OC or DC at a 4A school with 3 kids and a wife that makes $12 an hour......You are being paid $75,000 at your school. 
You are offered $85,000 to be an AD/HF at  a 3A school.  You probably consider going. 
Separating the AD and HF job does not mean you can’t be successful.  It just limits your choices. Gladewater may be extremely successful if they split the job. 

If you are going to be a first time head coach not being the AD can be a good thing.  If you want to get experience at being a head coach you're going to take what is offered.  

14 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

You aren't just watching. You made the statement, not me. I never said they would be. Your burden of proof not mine. I simply asked a question.

It's a chat room not a court room.  It's my observation being in the profession Ms. GNut.  I don't know of any small schools that have taken this path and had consistent success. 

10 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Probably not. Depends on how old my kids are and how much my wife loved her job.

Same as above, but depending if I would want both duties or not. If not, I might would consider, especially if I had never been a HC.

I think it's absolutely possible in our situation. Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

It's a chat room not a court room.  It's my observation being in the profession Mr. GNut.  I don't know of any small schools that have taken this path and had consistent success. 

You told me to tell you, in response to my question. If I wasn't interested in a legitimate answer I wouldn't have asked the question. 

Everyone else has actually given me answers to my question. You, on the other hand, have only said you know of no small schools that have had success. My question wasn't, "what schools have had success separating, but why"? I'm not a coach and since you are in the profession, I would think you would know "why".

27 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Very accurate examples.  Gladewater already has a program established and in place and if they keep things with the two roles split but hired in house as they are with the interim status, then I doubt very much change would actually take place.  If all work along then great, but when you start having to fight for when your kids can become better athletes (weight, agility, etc.) that's where you start having problems at the small school.

1 minute ago, Golfingnut said:

You told me to tell you, in response to my question. If I wasn't interested in a legitimate answer I wouldn't have asked the question. 

Everyone else has actually given me answers to my question. You, on the other hand, have only said you know of no small schools that have had success. My question wasn't, "what schools have had success separating, but why"? I'm not a coach and since you are in the profession, I would think you would know "why".

I can tell you aren't a coach.  No clarification needed.

4 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

I can tell you aren't a coach.  No clarification needed.

Oh, so since I'm not a coach I have no right or voice in the discussion? Or maybe since you've found out I'm not a man you think I have no business in the discussion. 

I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually in the profession since you continue not answering the question. 

No biggie. I'm looking forward to the year to see if my Bears can break your trends. Of course, now the question would be, what is your definition of success? We might want to answer that before we can say whether a team is successful at splitting the positions.

5 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Oh, so since I'm not a coach I have no right or voice in the discussion? Or maybe since you've found out I'm not a man you think I have no business in the discussion. 

I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually in the profession since you continue not answering the question. 

No biggie. I'm looking forward to the year to see if my Bears can break your trends. Of course, now the question would be, what is your definition of success? We might want to answer that before we can say whether a team is successful at splitting the positions.

I didn't say any of those things.  Thanks for assuming though.  Have a great day. 

The Bears won't be breaking any trends because there is already a successful program established.  I don't see the interim moves (if kept permanent) making tons of changes to the program, so there should be continued success for now. 

Well if you're strictly talking about a particular sports success it would be things such as improvement and straight up wins and losses.  W's pretty much the ultimate indicator in a programs success.

Now individually, as a coach, and I think most of us that are doing this for the right reasons, as the ultimate reflection of you as a coach is what kind of impact you can have on the lives of the young people you have the privilege to work with.  Helping to produce quality adult citizens ultimately is what I want to be measured by as a successful coach.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

I didn't say any of those things.  Thanks for assuming though.  Have a great day. 

The Bears won't be breaking any trends because there is already a successful program established.  I don't see the interim moves (if kept permanent) making tons of changes to the program, so there should be continued success for now. 

You said you can tell I'm not a coach and that no clarification is needed. Since I wasn't clarifying anything, just sounded like you were shrugging me off, especially since you still didn't answer my question. My bad if I took what you said wrong.

If your last paragraph is true and that's what you believe, then why your initial comment? My initial question was to find out why teams normally aren't successful separating the positions. I have heard it said before and I've always been curious as to why the trends say that. Because I'm not a coach I don't have all the insider experience and info. I love the game, my Bears and have always had an unquenchable thirst for more knowledge. 

15 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

Well if you're strictly talking about a particular sports success it would be things such as improvement and straight up wins and losses.  W's pretty much the ultimate indicator in a programs success.

Now individually, as a coach, and I think most of us that are doing this for the right reasons, as the ultimate reflection of you as a coach is what kind of impact you can have on the lives of the young people you have the privilege to work with.  Helping to produce quality adult citizens ultimately is what I want to be measured by as a successful coach.

I've known a lot of coaches that ultimately believe as you do that it's about the kids. That's the greatest success, but you are right success is measured in wins and losses. For some schools success is making the playoffs. For others it's making a deep playoff run and for some they only think they have been successful if they win a state championship.

10 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

This got interesting. 

Cut some slack for the back to back district co champs. 

It's always interesting when you are on a website with the Tatum 3. I like all 3 of you but y'all can be awfully aggravating. If we determined success by whose the most irritating Tatum 3 would be state champs. 😂😂😂

Y'all are great guys though. Hope to see y'all this season at Jack Murphy.

19 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

This got interesting. 

Cut some slack for the back to back district co champs. 

You guys went back to back on something for the first time in a while....Having the same coach 😂

Sorry I couldn’t resist. And I hope we aren’t in yalls shoes in the next few years 😐

21 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

You guys went back to back on something for the first time in a while....Having the same coach 😂

Sorry I couldn’t resist. And I hope we aren’t in yalls shoes in the next few years 😐

Second year in a row we’ve had the same coach. Things are looking up. 

• LOL! 1

27 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

It's always interesting when you are on a website with the Tatum 3. I like all 3 of you but y'all can be awfully aggravating. If we determined success by whose the most irritating Tatum 3 would be state champs. 😂😂😂

If you knew what I knew you’d be really aggravated. You think last night was rough on you. Wow. 

• LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

If you knew what I knew you’d be really aggravated. You think last night was rough on you. Wow. 

You do know I don't believe even half of what you say and the half I do believe is questionable. 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Golfingnut said:

Watching a fan base run a good coach off is aggravating. 👀