The Smoakhouse Forums
ericflair

Greatest EAST Texas Rivalry?

I know this happens every few years so why not start it now? What is the best high schools rivalry in East Texas? 
Here are a few that come to mind

Timpson vs Garrison

Shelbyville vs Joaquin

Waskom vs Ef

Carthage vs Gilmer 

Kilgore vs Henderson 

Gilmer vs Gladewater 

PG vs LE

Pewitt vs Daingerfield 

Longview vs Lufkin 

Lufkin vs Nac 

Marshall vs Longview 

Tatum vs ????? Not sure who Tatum rivalry is with? At one time it was Spring Hill right? 

Oh yeah Spring Hill vs White Oak

I haven't attended all of the ones listed above....but of the ones I've witnessed personally:

1.  Gilmer Vs. Gladewater
2.  Longview Vs. Lufkin
3.  Kilgore Vs. Henderson
4.  Elysian Fields Vs. Waskom
5.  JT Vs. Tyler Lee

A few I want to list....but....they need some spice before I'd add them to the above list

JT Vs. Lufkin
Marshall Vs. Longview
Henderson Vs. Carthage
Longview Vs. JT
Marshall Vs. Pine Tree

just my opinion.  

Longview-Lufkin for sure.

A shame the two couldnt prioritize to get eachother on the schedule the next two years.

They'll scrimmage one another this fall.

My favorite has to be Gladewater vs Gilmer. 

Over the years I've seen some great matchups between Gladewater and other schools, but they were all short lived series, but at the time they were pretty good.

2 hours ago, ericflair said:

I know this happens every few years so why not start it now? What is the best high schools rivalry in East Texas? 

Timpson vs Garrison

Shelbyville vs Joaquin

Waskom vs Ef

Carthage vs Gilmer 

Kilgore vs Henderson 

Gilmer vs Gladewater 

PG vs LE

Pewitt vs Daingerfield 

Longview vs Lufkin 

Lufkin vs Nac 

Marshall vs Longview 

Tatum vs ????? Not sure who Tatum rivalry is with? At one time it was Spring Hill right? 

Henderson and Kilgore get my nod for East Texas. 

I forgot about JT and Lee. Who is Jax rivalry with? Did they ever have something with Palestine? And yes Kilgore Henderson is hard to beat

17 minutes ago, ericflair said:

I forgot about JT and Lee. Who is Jax rivalry with? Did they ever have something with Palestine? And yes Kilgore Henderson is hard to beat

Jax used to have a pretty good rivalry with Kilgore. 

44 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Jax used to have a pretty good rivalry with Kilgore. 

Chapel Hill back in the Day but mainly Palestine do to proximity. Kilgore and Marshall were some good ones as well. I feel only way you can justify a fierce rivalry is the competitiveness. 

2 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

My favorite has to be Gladewater vs Gilmer. 

Over the years I've seen some great matchups between Gladewater and other schools, but they were all short lived series, but at the time they were pretty good.

If GW started winning more then yes I would agree. ARP vs Troup is a decent one not mentioned.

11 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

If GW started winning more then yes I would agree. ARP vs Troup is a decent one not mentioned.

You might be surprised at how many Gladewater has won in all the years they have played.

Just now, Golfingnut said:

You might be surprised at how many Gladewater has won in all the years they have played.

I meant recently . No slight on your program. Gilmer had a strong arm there so it seems.

What I meant was a rivalry consist of all games played between 2 schools so I was referring to the rivalry not just recent years.

41 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

You’ve obviously been to one of these games. It is an intense rivalry regardless of who wins. Both teams leave feeling like they been in a fight. Neither team wants to lose to the other and even in down years either team has a chance. 

34 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

You’ve obviously been to one of these games. It is an intense rivalry regardless of who wins. Both teams leave feeling like they been in a fight. Neither team wants to lose to the other and even in down years either team has a chance. 

One at Longview was pretty awesome . 

5 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

One at Longview was pretty awesome . 

Every game is like that. Neither side has an empty seat. That game was epic because it was 3rd round and it seemed that all of East Texas was there. 

Some schools just love to dislike each other but hardly a rivalry. Nac vs Lufkin, Henderson vs Carthage, Marshall vs Longview, hallsville vs Marshall etc... Hard to beat Longview and Lufkin . The series is in Longview’s favor , but not by much. Lufkin has struggled as of late . Jmho but none of these games have trouble getting up for so they have earned the respect. A few schools would be better off taking a break.

Hard for anyone to understand Gilmer/Gladewater if you aren't part of the fan bases. 

I can only comment on rivalries I've experienced. That's why I said "my favorite". As far as taking a break. The last 2 years have been a long enough break for these 2 teams and their fans. We're ready to line up against each other again. Hopefully, if this virus cooperates it'll be Week 1 of the season. Can't wait!

3 hours ago, ericflair said:

JAX: Palestine.... yeah.... kind of died down after Pal went 4A after AD graduated in 2004. I don’t ever recall CH as a rival. Henderson was a big rival in the 70s but not so much since then. So many of the old district rivals went 4A. Yeah, Kilgore in the early 2000s was big..... WH in mid-2000s when they were turning it around. But we dont really have any “rival” like LV/Lufkin or Gilmer /Gladewater. 

7 hours ago, ericflair said:

Timpson vs Garrison

Shelbyville vs Joaquin

Waskom vs Ef

Carthage vs Gilmer 

Kilgore vs Henderson 

Gilmer vs Gladewater 

PG vs LE

Pewitt vs Daingerfield 

Longview vs Lufkin 

Lufkin vs Nac 

Marshall vs Longview 

Joaquin/ Tenaha has been a much better rivalry the last few years than has Joaquin/ Shelbyville. Sadly, we don’t play the Tigers in ‘20 or ‘21. I don’t know when the last season was that we didn’t play them. I can’t find anyone who remembers. 

Lufkin vs Nac is just historic, it’s not really considered a rivalry. We are working on another 20 year losing streak haven’t beaten them since 14. Lufkin and Longview is the real rivalry and they will tell you that. 

Posted (edited)

Garrison vs Timpson back in the day was a huge small school rivalry ... it was a must win game of epic proportions  ....

The Battle of the Attoyac .....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

10 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

Every game is like that. Neither side has an empty seat. That game was epic because it was 3rd round and it seemed that all of East Texas was there. 

Judging by the two games that followed that, I have no doubt whatsoever that had Gladewater won, they would've had their first state championship.  I think the same could be said for that '84 team that tied Daingerfield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1