Greatest EAST Texas Rivalry?

ericflair

I know this happens every few years so why not start it now? What is the best high schools rivalry in East Texas? 
Here are a few that come to mind

Timpson vs Garrison

Shelbyville vs Joaquin

Waskom vs Ef

Carthage vs Gilmer 

Kilgore vs Henderson 

Gilmer vs Gladewater 

PG vs LE

Pewitt vs Daingerfield 

Longview vs Lufkin 

Lufkin vs Nac 

Marshall vs Longview 

Tatum vs ????? Not sure who Tatum rivalry is with? At one time it was Spring Hill right? 

Oh yeah Spring Hill vs White Oak

I haven't attended all of the ones listed above....but of the ones I've witnessed personally:

1.  Gilmer Vs. Gladewater
2.  Longview Vs. Lufkin
3.  Kilgore Vs. Henderson
4.  Elysian Fields Vs. Waskom
5.  JT Vs. Tyler Lee

A few I want to list....but....they need some spice before I'd add them to the above list

JT Vs. Lufkin
Marshall Vs. Longview
Henderson Vs. Carthage
Longview Vs. JT
Marshall Vs. Pine Tree

just my opinion.  

2 hours ago, ericflair said:

I know this happens every few years so why not start it now? What is the best high schools rivalry in East Texas? 

Timpson vs Garrison

Shelbyville vs Joaquin

Waskom vs Ef

Carthage vs Gilmer 

Kilgore vs Henderson 

Gilmer vs Gladewater 

PG vs LE

Pewitt vs Daingerfield 

Longview vs Lufkin 

Lufkin vs Nac 

Marshall vs Longview 

Tatum vs ????? Not sure who Tatum rivalry is with? At one time it was Spring Hill right? 

Henderson and Kilgore get my nod for East Texas. 

17 minutes ago, ericflair said:

I forgot about JT and Lee. Who is Jax rivalry with? Did they ever have something with Palestine? And yes Kilgore Henderson is hard to beat

Jax used to have a pretty good rivalry with Kilgore. 

11 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

If GW started winning more then yes I would agree. ARP vs Troup is a decent one not mentioned.

You might be surprised at how many Gladewater has won in all the years they have played.

41 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

If GW started winning more then yes I would agree. ARP vs Troup is a decent one not mentioned.

You’ve obviously been to one of these games. It is an intense rivalry regardless of who wins. Both teams leave feeling like they been in a fight. Neither team wants to lose to the other and even in down years either team has a chance. 

Hard for anyone to understand Gilmer/Gladewater if you aren't part of the fan bases. 

I can only comment on rivalries I've experienced. That's why I said "my favorite". As far as taking a break. The last 2 years have been a long enough break for these 2 teams and their fans. We're ready to line up against each other again. Hopefully, if this virus cooperates it'll be Week 1 of the season. Can't wait!

3 hours ago, ericflair said:

I forgot about JT and Lee. Who is Jax rivalry with? Did they ever have something with Palestine? And yes Kilgore Henderson is hard to beat

JAX: Palestine.... yeah.... kind of died down after Pal went 4A after AD graduated in 2004. I don’t ever recall CH as a rival. Henderson was a big rival in the 70s but not so much since then. So many of the old district rivals went 4A. Yeah, Kilgore in the early 2000s was big..... WH in mid-2000s when they were turning it around. But we dont really have any “rival” like LV/Lufkin or Gilmer /Gladewater. 

7 hours ago, ericflair said:

Timpson vs Garrison

Shelbyville vs Joaquin

Waskom vs Ef

Carthage vs Gilmer 

Kilgore vs Henderson 

Gilmer vs Gladewater 

PG vs LE

Pewitt vs Daingerfield 

Longview vs Lufkin 

Lufkin vs Nac 

Marshall vs Longview 

Joaquin/ Tenaha has been a much better rivalry the last few years than has Joaquin/ Shelbyville. Sadly, we don’t play the Tigers in ‘20 or ‘21. I don’t know when the last season was that we didn’t play them. I can’t find anyone who remembers. 

10 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

Every game is like that. Neither side has an empty seat. That game was epic because it was 3rd round and it seemed that all of East Texas was there. 

Judging by the two games that followed that, I have no doubt whatsoever that had Gladewater won, they would've had their first state championship.  I think the same could be said for that '84 team that tied Daingerfield.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

43 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Judging by the two games that followed that, I have no doubt whatsoever that had Gladewater won, they would've had their first state championship.  I think the same could be said for that '84 team that tied Daingerfield.

I sure hope we get to play this year. I know you guys return a good group. We have a solid core returning and it should make for a great matchup. 

59 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Marshall vs PT has been as recently. The rest are fun games but one team has their number. 

Yeah.  Marshall is (16-2) Vs PT since 2002.  We’ve dominated.

But a couple of the games have been competitive.  

2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

I agree. Either year would have been great. Both those games are my top 2 games I've ever attended. Priceless

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Yeah.  Marshall is (16-2) Vs PT since 2002.  We’ve dominated.

But a couple of the games have been competitive.  

In the last 20 years the Marshall - PT rivalry has been in the same boat as the Longview - Marshall rivalry...…..too one sided to really count as a true rivalry. Marshall - PT has had a few more competitive games.....but not many more.