Greatest EAST Texas Rivalry?

ericflair

Guest Tiger03lb

Malakoff and Kerens used to have a good rivalry. We haven't played in years. Teague and Malakoff is about the only one we got now. These two aren't compared to some of the others but Teague/koff have had some heated games before and best game being in 16', imo. One of the best I've seen in person for a 3a regular season game. 

10 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Malakoff and Kerens used to have a good rivalry. We haven't played in years. Teague and Malakoff is about the only one we got now. These two aren't compared to some of the others but Teague/koff have had some heated games before and best game being in 16', imo. One of the best I've seen in person for a 3a regular season game. 

T03, I agree. Everyone is all good with each other until they turn on those lights and then it’s on. I agree on the 2016 game as much as it pains me. Y’all deserved that one. Held Teague on four downs inside the 10 with less than two minutes to play. Then drove 99 yards and 35 inches to score with seconds left. The results changed the path to the playoffs for both teams and y’all took advantage of it. 

On 4/22/2020 at 10:47 PM, trueblue82 said:

Joaquin/ Tenaha has been a much better rivalry the last few years than has Joaquin/ Shelbyville. Sadly, we don’t play the Tigers in ‘20 or ‘21. I don’t know when the last season was that we didn’t play them. I can’t find anyone who remembers. 

1942 & 1943 during WWII

19 minutes ago, Grayghost said:

1942 & 1943 during WWII

I’ll have to take your word for it, but that sounds accurate to me. I hate it. 2 senior classes from each school will miss out on the rivalry their last two years. 

On 4/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, Bock said:

Pittsburg & Mt Pleasant - only series I know of that was discontinued due to shots fired

They need to restart this rivalry that was a long time ago.  Gilmer vs Gladewater will be a good one this year.  I would like to see the Morris county showdown.

Guest Tiger03lb
4 hours ago, player73 said:

T03, I agree. Everyone is all good with each other until they turn on those lights and then it’s on. I agree on the 2016 game as much as it pains me. Y’all deserved that one. Held Teague on four downs inside the 10 with less than two minutes to play. Then drove 99 yards and 35 inches to score with seconds left. The results changed the path to the playoffs for both teams and y’all took advantage of it. 

Yep, I couldn't agree more. A lot of good moments in 16' for for both teams. You guys got your payback in 17', just straight up ran on us. Still can't believe we had a 3 way tie that year. Y'alls O-line 16' and 17' was a beast. 17' I think was the better one with that rb. What was his name? That kid was a beast. I'm glad that we are back in the same district again, should be fun. 

7 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Yep, I couldn't agree more. A lot of good moments in 16' for for both teams. You guys got your payback in 17', just straight up ran on us. Still can't believe we had a 3 way tie that year. Y'alls O-line 16' and 17' was a beast. 17' I think was the better one with that rb. What was his name? That kid was a beast. I'm glad that we are back in the same district again, should be fun. 

Quentin Coleman, he is playing for Tarleton State. We are going through some lean times right now. Coach Osborn coaching ability is keep us afloat right now.We just don’t have the horses we once had but lookout in a couple years. 

On 4/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, ericflair said:

I know this happens every few years so why not start it now? What is the best high schools rivalry in East Texas? 
Here are a few that come to mind

Lufkin vs Nac 

Unfortunately, this game is played every year but it isn't a rivalry for football. Both teams have to win games for it to be a rivalry!!!

Men's basketball yes still a rivalry!!

On 4/22/2020 at 10:14 PM, Matt said:

JAX: Palestine.... yeah.... kind of died down after Pal went 4A after AD graduated in 2004. I don’t ever recall CH as a rival. Henderson was a big rival in the 70s but not so much since then. So many of the old district rivals went 4A. Yeah, Kilgore in the early 2000s was big..... WH in mid-2000s when they were turning it around. But we dont really have any “rival” like LV/Lufkin or Gilmer /Gladewater. 

I would say Nac has a better rivalry with Jax then they do LP.  Jax and Nac seem to play crazy close games and they have been deciding a playoff spot in the district the last 7-8 years. High Scoring multiple OT games. They also seem to be tied to each other for district realignment as well.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

I would say Nac has a better rivalry with Jax then they do LP.  Jax and Nac seem to play crazy close games and they have been deciding a playoff spot in the district the last 7-8 years. High Scoring multiple OT games. They also seem to be tied to each other for district realignment as well.

Good points, Nac! I agree we’ve had some amazing games. The 12 OT game in 2010 still a national “record” even though the stupid point system caused it. The 5OT game in 2013 (2012?) at TBowl was better to me because it was a legit 5 OTs.

The 2016 game at Nac was a heartbreaker for the Dragons. Y’all are playoff- bound with 2:30 left in game, y’all had us 4th and 10 at our own 20. We converted by three inches (right in front of me on sideline).  then Jax went the rest of the way with the winning score with a few seconds left.

Just some amazing games... 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Good points, Nac! I agree we’ve had some amazing games. The 12 OT game in 2010 still a national “record” even though the stupid point system caused it. The 5OT game in 2013 (2012?) at TBowl was better to me because it was a legit 5 OTs.

The 2016 game at Nac was a heartbreaker for the Dragons. Y’all are playoff- bound with 2:30 left in game, y’all had us 4th and 10 at our own 20. We converted by three inches (right in front of me on sideline).  then Jax went the rest of the way with the winning score with a few seconds left.

Just some amazing games... 

12 OT game was exhausting!! 5 OT game was fun until the 5th OT!!:) When we lost!!

The 2016 game was just another example of Nac getting to the last game of the season with a chance at the playoffs and not sealing the deal. Jax scored the game tieing TD with like 43 seconds left and then got the 2Pt conversion to win. I maybe misremembering but Nac had to win by 10 and was up 11 at the 243 mark. Gave up 14 points in the last 243. 

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
20 hours ago, player73 said:

Quentin Coleman, he is playing for Tarleton State. We are going through some lean times right now. Coach Osborn coaching ability is keep us afloat right now.We just don’t have the horses we once had but lookout in a couple years. 

Thanks. Yeah. Been hearing that, can't wait. Coach has been doing good over there. 

8 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

12 OT game was exhausting!! 5 OT game was fun until the 5th OT!!:) When we lost!!

The 2016 game was just another example of Nac getting to the last game of the season with a chance at the playoffs and not sealing the deal. Jax scored the game tieing TD with like 43 seconds left and then got the 2Pt conversion to win. I maybe misremembering but Nac had to win by 10 and was up 11 at the 243 mark. Gave up 14 points in the last 243. 

Yes, sadly for Nac.... that is correct on the points. One stop! Just one play and it’s over. 4th and 10. We get it by inches. Hence the saying.... it’s a game of inches sometimes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes, sadly for Nac.... that is correct on the points. One stop! Just one play and it’s over. 4th and 10. We get it by inches. Hence the saying.... it’s a game of inches sometimes. 

Those are the games programs have to learn how to win!! Nac has lost for so long, they have to learn to win those games!! Hoping that can change with this new group of coaches, who I am very impressed with from top to bottom! I say new, but the ones we hired last summer!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Panther89 said:

Here are two other rivalries that have always been good:

Troup vs Arp

Leverett's Chapel vs Overton

They should play that LC vs Overton game now. I know a west Texas team did that. They play 1st half 11 man football and the played the 2nd half 6 man. I think it was Winthorst as the 11 man team. Not sure who the 6 man team was 

Longview Vs Lufkin is a huge Rival game.  However, I believe taking these next two years off as a regular season game may spice up the playoffs for us, should we meet.

It has got a little tiring and we have run out of things to say, especially on the Lufkin side, since we can't seem to get a win the last few years.

Lufkin and  Nac is an old rivalry that use to mean something, in fact way back in the day, Nac got the best of Lufkin a bunch more than now.  The Lufkin kids today, know the Nac kids well but don't look at the game as a rivalry any longer.    Things can always change.

Carthage and Gilmer has to be one of the top ones too although I've never witnessed.

Longview and Marshall has been one sided a while now.  They have the longest rivalry in the State on the books I think.

• Like 1

I know most Longview and Marshall fans would probably be fine if the Mav-Lobo series ended.  Myself included.......

BUT.....

IF the game was to actually become competitive on an annual basis..... EVEN if Longview continued to dominate....I'd be OK with it continuing it.  But 40 point bashings serve neither team in a positive manner other than the sellout crowds they produce IMHO.

IF the game was consistently a close game headed into the 4th quarter....and ended in a 7-10 point game most years, sure....let's keep it going.

It would be a good dress rehearsal for district.  Unfortunately though..... Longview is at an elite level right now and we are not.  Is what it is.  I'm hoping for continued improvement going forward.

Of course....... consistent close games with Marshall might get any Lobo coach run out of town on a rail LMAO.

Lopsided games do neither any good. 

But if it were to become an annually competitive game.... even if we went 0-10 in a decade, I'd be in full support of it continuing.   It's just not there right now.

Maybe one day.

FWIW........Texas High is always a great rival in every sport though.  Looking forward to reuniting with them again. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Henderson Kilgore and Carthage vs Gilmer always seemed like a pretty good game. I know Gilmer playing  Henderson and Carthage. Kilgore would be nice as well. 

Those old “Disrict Of Doom” games were always exciting..😋

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, CarthDawg77 said:

Those old “Disrict Of Doom” games were always exciting..😋

I certainly miss those days when everybody was good, and the winner would most likely be in the finals, if not a state champion.  Every game was a sell out, and it was what Friday Nights in East Texas was all about.  I wish we could get that mojo back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I certainly miss those days when everybody was good, and the winner would most likely be in the finals, if not a state champion.  Every game was a sell out, and it was what Friday Nights in East Texas was all about.  I wish we could get that mojo back.

Absolutely agree!🏈🏆

On 5/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, PackAttack said:

Longview and Marshall has been one sided a while now.  They have the longest rivalry in the State on the books I think.

Tied for third longest.

Sherman and Denison is at 121. Bay City/El Campo is at 116. Longview/Marshall & Cuero/Yoakum are tied at 109.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, Mavchamp said:

I know most Longview and Marshall fans would probably be fine if the Mav-Lobo series ended.  Myself included.......

BUT.....

IF the game was to actually become competitive on an annual basis..... EVEN if Longview continued to dominate....I'd be OK with it continuing it.  But 40 point bashings serve neither team in a positive manner other than the sellout crowds they produce IMHO.

IF the game was consistently a close game headed into the 4th quarter....and ended in a 7-10 point game most years, sure....let's keep it going.

It would be a good dress rehearsal for district.  Unfortunately though..... Longview is at an elite level right now and we are not.  Is what it is.  I'm hoping for continued improvement going forward.

Of course....... consistent close games with Marshall might get any Lobo coach run out of town on a rail LMAO.

Lopsided games do neither any good. 

But if it were to become an annually competitive game.... even if we went 0-10 in a decade, I'd be in full support of it continuing.   It's just not there right now.

Maybe one day.

FWIW........Texas High is always a great rival in every sport though.  Looking forward to reuniting with them again.

I mean I don't think there's a single Longview fan out there that isn't hoping Marshall can get up to a competitive level with us. If we're going to continue to play the game, we much rather it be against a competitive/good/somewhat elite Marshall than not.

It does us no good to continually have blow out type games.

I think my only thing with it is it's not even competitive on the sub varsity levels. Like at all. Granted the freshmen kept it close last season, but most of that was due to the time running. I think Longview had like four possessions the entire game or something insane like that.

Is what it is though. I still cheer for Marshall outside of our game with them. I want the series to end because it hasn't been fun at all for either side recently, outside of Marshall fans in 2015 with that win lol. But, administrators won't let it end so...so be it for now.