Greatest EAST Texas Rivalry?

ericflair

44 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean I don't think there's a single Longview fan out there that isn't hoping Marshall can get up to a competitive level with us. If we're going to continue to play the game, we much rather it be against a competitive/good/somewhat elite Marshall than not.

It does us no good to continually have blow out type games.

I think my only thing with it is it's not even competitive on the sub varsity levels. Like at all. Granted the freshmen kept it close last season, but most of that was due to the time running. I think Longview had like four possessions the entire game or something insane like that.

Is what it is though. I still cheer for Marshall outside of our game with them. I want the series to end because it hasn't been fun at all for either side recently, outside of Marshall fans in 2015 with that win lol. But, administrators won't let it end so...so be it for now.

I agree 100%. 
I’d rather play a competitive game with.....anyone Vs an annual beating.

Like I said.... I’d support continuing the series even if we went 0-10 as long as it was competitive.  It’s not about win/loss.  It’s about benefitting from the game.   I don’t think it benefits either right now.  

End of the day.... Longview is elite right now and we are still trying to get to that level.  We are not there. 

Where Longview is.... is where we all want to be. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, PackAttack said:

Longview Vs Lufkin is a huge Rival game.  However, I believe taking these next two years off as a regular season game may spice up the playoffs for us, should we meet.

It has got a little tiring and we have run out of things to say, especially on the Lufkin side, since we can't seem to get a win the last few years.

Lufkin and  Nac is an old rivalry that use to mean something, in fact way back in the day, Nac got the best of Lufkin a bunch more than now.  The Lufkin kids today, know the Nac kids well but don't look at the game as a rivalry any longer.    Things can always change.

Carthage and Gilmer has to be one of the top ones too although I've never witnessed.

Longview and Marshall has been one sided a while now.  They have the longest rivalry in the State on the books I think.

I just told my daughter that the lufkin game means more to the kids from Nac then lufkin. The 13 and 14 class for Nac were the best teams Nac’s had since 92 and 06. If we had better coaches we would have one a couple of playoff games those years.

Answering the initial post, 10-15 years ago it was easily Marshall vs Longview... now that has become muddied since the #s and pure talent top to bottom aren't comparable....  but I would like to keep one of those teams in my nomination for the best current rivalry and that would be Longview vs Lufkin... still competitive... plenty of hype, plenty of trash talk... etc etc etc.

12 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I just told my daughter that the lufkin game means more to the kids from Nac then lufkin. The 13 and 14 class for Nac were the best teams Nac’s had since 92 and 06. If we had better coaches we would have one a couple of playoff games those years.

I would definitely not be sad if the LP/Nac series ended. Neither team gets anything out of it!!!  

On 5/3/2020 at 3:41 PM, BuckNut said:

What really makes a good rivalry is when the towns are close and players on the rival teams are related and fans have relatives or coworkers in the rival town.

The only rival games that have been played consistently for decades that we know for a fact will have relatives playing against each other, somethmes siblings vs each other. are the cross town rivalry games.  There only a few in East TX that fit this criteria....JT vs Lee and Texas High vs Arkansas High,.  (Maybe Pleasant Grove vs Eylau).  Kinda shocking These games aren''t mentioned much on this thread. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

The only rival games that have been played consistently for decades that we know for a fact will have relatives playing against each other, somethmes siblings vs each other. are the cross town rivalry games.  There only a few in East TX that fit this criteria....JT vs Lee and Texas High vs Arkansas High,.  (Maybe Pleasant Grove vs Eylau).  Kinda shocking These games aren''t mentioned much on this thread. 

Texas High has dominated Arkansas High for the better part of two decades...!or more. It’s in about the same boat as Lufkin/Nac and Marshall/Longview. 

The Lee/JT series is interesting.  I’m willing to bet JT dominates the overall series. But Lee... as awful as they have been for over 10+ years, has still managed to be a thorn in JT’s side. 

Definitely one of the better rivalries in East Texas. 

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High has dominated Arkansas High for the better part of two decades...!or more. It’s in about the same boat as Lufkin/Nac and Marshall/Longview. 

The Lee/JT series is interesting.  I’m willing to bet JT dominates the overall series. But Lee... as awful as they have been for over 10+ years, has still managed to be a thorn in JT’s side. 

I grew up with the Mesquite/N Mesquite Rivalry. Great rivalry back in the 80's and 90s, was the last game of the season and typically decided the playoff spot for the district. The game doesn't mean much now since the growth in that area is around Forney. I have always felt a game between the teams that share a stadium and a town can be fierce. Especially when they are both good and share a district!! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

good points.   

You have rivalries because of proximity like Lufkin vs Nac

You have others because they are current or former district opponents that are always playing for something significant like district champ or they meet nearly annually in playoffs or in preaseason like .Longview vs Lufkin

But then you have JT vs Lee.  This rivalry kinda mirrors social,  demographic, and economic issues in America.  Honestly the game is secondary. Beating Lee to most JT fans is more than just winning on the scoreboard.  That why i think its an underrated rivalry. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

good points.   

You have rivalries because of proximity like Lufkin vs Nac

You have others because they are current or former district opponents that are always playing for something significant like district champ or they meet nearly annually in playoffs or in preaseason like .Longview vs Lufkin

But then you have JT vs Lee.  This rivalry kinda mirrors social,  demographic, and economic issues in America.  Honestly the game is secondary. Beating Lee to most JT fans is more than just winning on the scoreboard.  That why i think its an underrated rivalry. 

Lee social status is not what it use to be. Tisd for that matter. 

On 5/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, Mavchamp said:

For what it's worth, JT only leads REL 33-30-1. It's crazy to me how close that series is with how bad Lee has been through out its history and how good JT has been in that same time frame.

Series was dead even at 5-5 in the 2010s, which is just absolutely ridiculous to me.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

For what it's worth, JT only leads REL 33-30-1. It's crazy to me how close that series is with how bad Lee has been through out its history and how good JT has been in that same time frame.

Series was dead even at 5-5 in the 2010s, which is just absolutely ridiculous to me.

That shocks me.

I knew Lee had been a thorn in their side for the last decade and a half or so... but I figured JT dominated otherwise.

Interesting  

It’s been said the lufkin Nac game is only played because of distance. It’s close for both teams. I’m pretty sure both teams can find another opponent. I remember back in the day when we used to play Bryant and Beaumont Westbrook. Not saying it has to be one of those but I’m sure we could find another game. 

23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

That shocks me.

I knew Lee had been a thorn in their side for the last decade and a half or so... but I figured JT dominated otherwise.

Interesting  

When you have a crosstown rivalry, you can throw everything out the window.  Many of these kids are relatives or good friends and have been playing against each other since they were little kids.  Because of that you get to know the each other tendencies.   

However, the only thing that is crazy about this rivalry is that other than 2013, I can't think of another time in the past 20 years that JT was the underdog and they beat Lee.  

On 5/17/2020 at 4:20 PM, LoboFan07 said:

JT and lee have had times where they both had dominated the series. JT in the 90’s and after 98 JT didn’t beat Lee again until 2010. In those years Lee was able to close the gap. That was the year that Lee would have pulled even with JT. 

4 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

JT and lee have had times where they both had dominated the series. JT in the 90’s and after 98 JT didn’t beat Lee again until 2010. In those years Lee was able to close the gap. That was the year that Lee would have pulled even with JT. 

after 98, JT next win against LEE was in 2005, then again in 2010

On 4/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, Eagle8 said:

Tatum and SH were rivals in the 90s. Not so much now. We ain't really had a rival since the 2000s. We had a nice little rivalry going with Carthage before Surratt showed up lol. Before we got turf they came and painted a red CHS on our 50 and spread bird seeds all over the home bleachers. Then we beat them 17-0 with Stephen Hodge. We traded wins for a bit for about 6 or so games. But now, we don't exactly have a rival anymore. 

Spring Hill and Tatum have had a rivalry that goes back to the 70's and 80's! 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 7:44 AM, blackflag79 said:

I certainly miss those days when everybody was good, and the winner would most likely be in the finals, if not a state champion.  Every game was a sell out, and it was what Friday Nights in East Texas was all about.  I wish we could get that mojo back.

What years are you thinking of?

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:42 PM, Mavchamp said:

I'm a Texas High grad from long ago and have been away from there since shortly after high school.  The rivalry with Arkansas High was about as big as one could imagine at that time.  I'd be interested in hearing from someone still in that area... do the T-High folks still think of this like they did in days gone by, or has it lost its luster with how lopsided it is?

4 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

I'm a Texas High grad from long ago and have been away from there since shortly after high school.  The rivalry with Arkansas High was about as big as one could imagine at that time.  I'd be interested in hearing from someone still in that area... do the T-High folks still think of this like they did in days gone by, or has it lost its luster with how lopsided it is?

I would say it has lost it's luster.  The size disparity between the two schools is quite large right now.  Texas High should never really lose to Arkansas High any more with the number of athletes the two schools have to choose from.  It's still a big game and well supported but nothing near like it was when the schools were close to the same size.