Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread


Recommended Posts

Football: Div I
District 7
Highland Park
Longview
McKinney North
Sherman
John Tyler
West Mesquite
Wylie East

District 8
Cleveland
College Station
Caney Creek
Lufkin
Magnolia
Magnolia West
New Caney
New Caney Porter
Waller

Football: Div II

District 9
Hallsville
Jacksonville
Pine Tree
Marshall
Mount Pleasant
Nacogdoches
Texas High
Whitehouse

Winter/Spring Sports
District 15: 
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Marshall
Mount Pleasant
Sulphur Springs
Texas High

District 16: 
Huntsville
Jacksonville
Lufkin
Nacogdoches
John Tyler
Whitehouse

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Highland Park has just had a rough 2020. First they get put in a district with Longview and JT. Then they have to drop a game lmao. 

Posted Images

Random thoughts:

District 9

Going to be a KILLER basketball district.  Sulphur Springs and MP have dominated East Texas on the court of late.  Marshall and Longview are no slouches.... and Texas High isn't an easy win either.   Should be a heck of a race.

Soccer race should be pretty good too.  MP has been one of the most successful 5A programs around.  Sulphur Springs usually isn't too far behind.  Longview is usually strong.  Should be a great three team race.  Pine Tree has history too.  Hallsville, Texas High, Marshall are all behind the 8-ball looks like.

Baseball should be an outstanding race too with Hallsville, Texas High, Marshall, and Sulphur Springs.  Pine Tree is always formidable too.  

The softball race should also be a tight one with Hallsville, Sulphur Springs, Marshall, and Texas High.

Track could be one of the best around with Longview, Marshall, Hallsville, Texas High, and Pine Tree.

Tennis between Texas High and Longview.... Pine Tree and Hallsville not too far behind.

Golf could be entertaining too with Hallsville. Longview, Marshall, Texas High, and Pine Tree.  

Volleyball should be outstanding with Hallsville, MP, Texas High, and SS.

Should be some great races in all non-football sports.

This thread is intended to keep up with all East Texas 5A from September-May.

Good luck to everyone.  Can't wait to see the football talk get started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Random thoughts:

District 9

Going to be a KILLER basketball district.  Sulphur Springs and MP have dominated East Texas on the court of late.  Marshall and Longview are no slouches.... and Texas High isn't an easy win either.   Should be a heck of a race.

Soccer race should be pretty good too.  MP has been one of the most successful 5A programs around.  Sulphur Springs usually isn't too far behind.  Longview is usually strong.  Should be a great three team race.  Pine Tree has history too.  Hallsville, Texas High, Marshall are all behind the 8-ball looks like.

For what it's worth, Longview's boys went 7-1 against both East Texas districts last season.

Soccer, I'm really disappointed our boys and girls didn't get to finish their seasons, They were two of the better teams we've had in recent years, which is saying a lot with how well we've been the last decade or longer.

We'll see how our girls basketball team will respond not having to play Horn and Rockwall. I know we lost to Mount Pleasant for the first time in our history last season. But it was an upset and down season like no other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still love seeing Highland park in a district with East Texas teams . I know it bothers them to know end. Only thing that is worse is losing to those country boys. I personally would love seeing East Texas represented well in 5a. Deep playoff runs are awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for East Texas teams, Longview will beat HP.... but JT isn’t at HP level. No disrespect to JT, just the way it is. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, Mavchamp said:

Spring Sports
District 16: 
Huntsville
Jacksonville
Lufkin
Nacogdoches
John Tyler
Whitehouse

District added Hunstsville and pulled Marshall, PT and Hallsville.

 

Nac graduated most of their B2B District Co-Championship Basketball team.

Volleyball should be Whitehouse's to lose.

Boys and Girls Basketball looks like Huntsville will be pretty good. Jax on the girls side as well!!

Girls Softball looks like Jacksonville will be the favorites.

Boys and Girls Swimming will be Nac as the favorite 

Baseball looks to be between Whitehouse, Jax and Lufkin

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Region 1 will go through WF Rider and Lubbock Cooper again. Not sure how many Cooper returns but Rider returns 9/8. Rider returns the QB along with several others and they are going to be 3 year starters. Thats a lot of experience that has been to the 5th and 4th rounds these last 2 seasons.

Region 2 will be pretty tough this coming season. Aledo is returning 4/6 but will be looking for a QB. Teams like Ennis (9/10) and Frisco (9/7) will have a lot of experience returning and are primed for strong playoff runs. Then you still have quality teams like South Oak Cliff and Corsicana that will be tough outs. This might be me being bias but I think Region 2 has the most quality depth. 

Region 3 will be wide open with Fort Bend Marshall losing a lot and Manvel moving to D1. To be honest I'm not sure how to rank the teams in Region 3. You have teams like Marshall, Crosby, Texarkana, A&M Consolidated, and Barbers Hill that I would guess are the front runners for the Region 3 title. If anyone knows how many those teams return that would be nice to know. 

Region 4 is interesting with no Calallen running things. You still have very solid programs like Brenham and Tivy to consider making a favorite but Boerne Champion had a great run last season. Liberty Hill might fly under the radar a little but I'm not ready to call them a contender just yet. 


What do yall think about each region? Who would be your region favorites and darkhorses? Which teams did I not include that should be on my radar? Who am I too high on? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, Matt said:

As for East Texas teams, Longview will beat HP.... but JT isn’t at HP level. No disrespect to JT, just the way it is. 

Your saying it like as if we didn’t go toe to toe with the state champion when we played 🤣🤣. But to each it’s own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Your saying it like as if we didn’t go toe to toe with the state champion when we played 🤣🤣. But to each it’s own. 

He's saying it like he's talking about a team that went (3-8) last season.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

He's saying it like he's talking about a team that went (3-8) last season.

 

Exactly the task seems like an obvious mismatch. Team changes year to year but 3-8 can’t instill a bunch of confidence against a Traditionally Great program .

 When scheduling was made you know only one that was taken notice was Longview. Respect does that . I am pulling for JT to change that perception.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Exactly the task seems like an obvious mismatch. Team changes year to year but 3-8 can’t instill a bunch of confidence against a Traditionally Great program .

 When scheduling was made you know only one that was taken notice was Longview. Respect does that . I am pulling for JT to change that perception.

I think football is better when ETX has LV, JT, and Lufkin all rolling but to he honest I kinda like JT going 3-8 from time to time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I think football is better when ETX has LV, JT, and Lufkin all rolling but to he honest I kinda like JT going 3-8 from time to time.  

Agree those three are pretty much the front runners for D1 so it is a must those are successful. In D2 is basically Marshall used to be Texas High years ago that had a pulse in 5a. The rest are decent or not good. Put this way Longview and LP has State Championship expectations. The rest are thrilled with a regional appearance. Marshall is carrying the weight  and when they’re down ,then the District is down. Jacksonville Mount pleasant need to get back to their winning days early 2000s . I am not saying a District of Doom but competitive district changes the perception of lackluster East Texas play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Agree those three are pretty much the front runners for D1 so it is a must those are successful. In D2 is basically Marshall used to be Texas High years ago that had a pulse in 5a. The rest are decent or not good. Put this way Longview and LP has State Championship expectations. The rest are thrilled with a regional appearance. Marshall is carrying the weight  and when they’re down ,then the District is down. Jacksonville Mount pleasant need to get back to their winning days early 2000s . I am not saying a District of Doom but competitive district changes the perception.

LP has championship expectations?? They have had a rough go at it if they are aiming that high. '98-'05 seems to be their prime. Making deep runs year after year. The rest of their playoff history is not great. 48-39-3 overall. 

'06- 2nd round

'07- 1st round

''08- 2nd round

'09-'11- 1st round

'12- 3rd round

'13-'16- 1st round

'17- 4th round

'18- 2nd round

'19- 1st round

Edited by Aledo
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aledo said:

LP has championship expectations?? They have had a rough go at it if they are aiming that high. '98-'05 seems to be their prime. Making deep runs year after year. The rest of their playoff history is not great. 48-39-3 overall. 

'06- 2nd round

'07- 1st round

''08- 2nd round

'09-'11- 1st round

'12- 3rd round

'13-'16- 1st round

'17- 4th round

'18- 2nd round

'19- 1st round

Dropping classification tends to heighten the expectations. JT going 3-8 is ridiculous. I didn’t say they achieve said goals. No one would be shocked if Lp won State . Heck even Marshall wouldn’t be a wow factor. The rest would be shocking to a extreme. Half of them are excited about just   making the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Dropping classification tends to heighten the expectations. JT going 3-8 is ridiculous. I didn’t say they achieve said goals. No one would be shocked if Lp won State . Heck even Marshall wouldn’t be a wow factor. The rest would be shocking to a extreme. Half of them are excited about just   making the playoffs.

I think a lot of people would be shocked if LP or Marshall won state. They just havent had the recent playoff results. Once the season starts and games are played then yeah, those teams can earn their way onto the short list of potential champs. But right now they are region contenders at best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I think a lot of people would be shocked if LP or Marshall won state. They just havent had the recent playoff results. Once the season starts and games are played then yeah, those teams can earn their way onto the short list of potential champs. But right now they are region contenders at best. 

I agree at least those three have some pedigree . Contenders until proven otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think just making the playoffs satisfies Marshall.... or Lufkin... or...or JT... Texas High.

I think we all have higher expectations than just making it to the playoffs.  

Sure.... there are some programs that are just happy to qualify in the district.  And others that don’t even have that expectation yet. 

Bar is set higher for others.  Just like I think we all long to be at HP’s and Longview’s level.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t think just making the playoffs satisfies Marshall.... or Lufkin... or...or JT... Texas High.

I think we all have higher expectations than just making it to the playoffs.  

Sure.... there are some programs that are just happy to qualify in the district.  And others that don’t even have that expectation yet. 

Bar is set higher for others.  Just like I think we all long to be at HP’s and Longview’s level.  

 

Thats the way it should be. Programs should always strive to get better and consistently make the next level. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Wouldnt be surprised if Texas High is the team to beat in R3.

I think you or someone else said it before but any idea how many they return? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

He's saying it like he's talking about a team that went (3-8) last season.

 

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Last season was last season... but when was the last time HP went 3-8? Look, I’m for ET, I hope JT beats them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Dropping classification tends to heighten the expectations. JT going 3-8 is ridiculous. I didn’t say they achieve said goals. No one would be shocked if Lp won State . Heck even Marshall wouldn’t be a wow factor. The rest would be shocking to a extreme. Half of them are excited about just   making the playoffs.

I agree. Dropping helps. Schools like Henderson had to drop to finally win a title. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...