2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

10 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Thanksgiving is my milestone for a deep run. Its a special thing knowing a lot of people arent playing anymore and you have to cut back on seconds to avoid the food coma because you are still in the tournament. 

I think that would be the third round most seasons. 

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

Thanksgiving is my milestone for a deep run. Its a special thing knowing a lot of people arent playing anymore and you have to cut back on seconds to avoid the food coma because you are still in the tournament. 

Personally, I shoot for that playing in December mark.

It depends on the season, tbh, and how it's going. 2016 I had no expectations and just wanted to win a playoff game vs 2017 where I thought we had the potential to make it to December vs 2018 where I expected to be in at least the Semis or at State.

Generally though, if you make it to December football, you've had an extremely memorable season that can be looked upon well 5-10-15 years down the road.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I know!! I pray to god that we get one this season cause 21’ will most likely be a state championship run. Then the QB will already be ready for the run. 

How y'all gonna say that when you haven't even been to state in 20 years, and complain constantly about Holmes? lol.

With the region we're in, I don't think any team can be making claim of a State Championship run personally. But really.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, Aledo said:

LP has championship expectations?? They have had a rough go at it if they are aiming that high. '98-'05 seems to be their prime. Making deep runs year after year. The rest of their playoff history is not great. 48-39-3 overall. 

'06- 2nd round

'07- 1st round

''08- 2nd round

'09-'11- 1st round

'12- 3rd round

'13-'16- 1st round

'17- 4th round

'18- 2nd round

'19- 1st round

For what it's worth, with the drop down in 2018 after how the '17 season ended, I fully believe most Lufkin fans had State Championship expectations. Maybe not as many in '19 after how '18 ended, but there were definitely still a good number.

Results have gone their way post season wise recently. I don't think Quick is the guy to get it done for them, but my opinion on that wasn't asked.

I do think they've more than had the talent to go much further in the post season than they have recently. Especially last season.

14 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I know!! I pray to god that we get one this season cause 21’ will most likely be a state championship run. Then the QB will already be ready for the run. 

People don't believe it, but JT has alot of potential(yeah I know how that can be) coming up. Hoping for a high school football season this fall. 

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I don't think Quick is the guy to get it done for them, but my opinion on that wasn't asked.

I do think they've more than had the talent to go much further in the post season than they have recently. Especially last season.

Unless there is a change in the LISD leadership he isn't going anywhere unless he decides to retire or take a position elsewhere. He has some higher ups in the district that defend him and will keep him in place. I think there is a fear that replacing him would actually make things worse. Right now they can point to 27 straight years of playoffs (I think that was the number I saw). Not a lot of program can say that anywhere in the state. 

46 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I was very high on Lufkin also going into the '18 season. I'd have to go back to look but I think I projected them to make state also. Just made sense. But Lufkin has let me down several times recently when I've thought they would make a good run. I just lost any trust I had in them. 

I'm beating a dead horse, but the coaching staff there just isnt consistent playoff run material...especially on the offensive side of the ball where there is no creativity whatsoever. That OL was probably the worst OL that I saw in football last year.

They seem to be lacking the two big C's: Culture and Confidence.

They've been losing in the first or second round for a while now but that loss to Texas High last year, at home has to be the lowest of lows. Talent is there, but I dont think that program ever does anything amazing again under that staff.

49 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Whats crazy is Lufkin seem to have good games with yall early in the season but then gets bounced early. 

The intensity of the rivalry.

It may be the best in the state, and Lufkin plays Longview differently from the others. 

That's why I hardly use that game to gauge how good either team is, unless its a blowout or multi score win.

11 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

How y'all gonna say that when you haven't even been to state in 20 years, and complain constantly about Holmes? lol.

With the region we're in, I don't think any team can be making claim of a State Championship run personally. But really.

Well we made “STATE” runs in previous years so that’s what I mean, not literally saying going to state lol. Come on lol. 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

They've been losing in the first or second round for a while now but that loss to Texas High last year, at home has to be the lowest of lows. Talent is there, but I dont think that program ever does anything amazing again under that staff.

I am going to say the lowest of low would have to be 2013 or 2014 losing back to back years to Nac and then also losing bi-district round as well. 2013 they went 5-6, 2014 they went 6-5

16 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I am going to say the lowest of low would have to be 2013 or 2014 losing back to back years to Nac and then also losing bi-district round as well. 2013 they went 5-6, 2014 they went 6-5

Was talking playoff wise. Losing to Nac gives people in Lufkin cardiac arrest, I know lol.

But that Texas High loss was pretty bad. They didnt have #1 seeds hosting bi district playoff games back in 13/14. And to lose like that at home, being heavy favorites. Gosh.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:25 AM, CUJONATION83 said:

Can't agree more! Believe it or not , JT would be a dangerous team with a steady qb, but I see playoffs this season. '21 JT is going to be LOADED!

It looks like it will be the freshman qb from last yr or the sr. Pinkard at qb this yr.  Don't know about Pinkard throwing skiils, but he is very mobile. Saw some flashes last yr when he was at wr/rb.  He was the qb when he was on the freshman team.

As far as the future goes, I think the talent will be better, but I need to see improvement this yr before I start thinking deep playoff runs.  Much tougher district and region. in this alignment. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Much tougher district and region. in this alignment. 

You aint freakin kidding.

Highland Park, Longview, Denton Ryan, Lone Star, Lancaster, College Station...thats six programs right there that at least made the title game the past few years. Can't totally count out a Lufkin either no matter their playoff woes. New Caney has been pretty consistent in the win column lately and Frisco Independence is on the up and up. I feel like a third out of district 7 be it Sherman or McKinney North is a sleeper.

I mean especially when you're talking intraclassification, its arguably the most loaded region in the state.

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Was talking playoff wise. Losing to Nac gives people in Lufkin cardiac arrest, I know lol.

But that Texas High loss was pretty bad. They didnt have #1 seeds hosting bi district playoff games back in 13/14. And to lose like that at home, being heavy favorites. Gosh.

Oh I agree the loss to T High wasn't good. This town came unglued!!!! I work in Lufkin so I heard it for a month!!

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

You aint freakin kidding.

Highland Park, Longview, Denton Ryan, Lone Star, Lancaster, College Station...thats six programs right there that at least made the title game the past few years. Can't totally count out a Lufkin either no matter their playoff woes. New Caney has been pretty consistent in the win column lately and Frisco Independence is on the up and up. I feel like a third out of district 7 be it Sherman or McKinney North is a sleeper.

I mean especially when you're talking intraclassification, its arguably the most loaded region in the state.

agree

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Oh I agree the loss to T High wasn't good. This town came unglued!!!! I work in Lufkin so I heard it for a month!!

Thigh improved last yr.They improved each game and by the end of the season they were rolling.  They lost their qb for a few games, but when he came back, that made a big difference because their defense was solid.

Thought I would jump in here since there are a bunch of folks in here speaking about Lufkin and Lufkin fans and coaching.  I live here in Lufkin and have been fairly close to many of these situations the past 25 years are more.  I will attempt to be quick in my answers.  No, we don't like losing, especially to Nacogdoches.  We have more than paid Nac back since those loses.   Playoff losses.  Well we have had some tough ones and unexplainable ones. Lufkin lost two different games to Longview and one to JT in the 1st or second round in the last few seasons that were by 1 point.  Not bad competition there. If we had been able to get by Longview or JT those years, who knows, not looking for a moral victory. The expectations in 2018 were high, played Lone Star with a third string QB, 2nd string was on suspension and Starter was hurt, tried to go very early and could not go after turning the ball over twice.  In 2019,  Texas High was a much better team with their starting QB than without him.  He had been out against key games with JT, McKinney North and Poteet. The Panthers could not compensate for the loss of 1000 yard WR JaLynn Polk. More on this later.    Lufkin losing at home was a bad loss, no other way to put it.  

Coaching is a big topic here.  Lack of playoff success when there is credible talent on board.  Todd Quick will not go anywhere until he decides to go or retire.  He is 66-31 at Lufkin in 8 seasons, but only 6-8 in playoffs.  Yes, most Lufkin fans are not happy with our lack of consistent playoff success the past 14 years.  Someone mentioned culture and confidence.  You hit the nail on the head.  There is not much of a playoff culture here any longer and it doesn't seem to be a huge concern from the higher ups on the matter. 

Lufkin will have another fine group of athletes this year. Many fans don't believe the current system allows them to fully excel under the boundary of certain coaches.  To most fans knowledge, we are not sure any school has ever offered OC Green a HC position elsewhere, and it makes you think.  A good OC, would have offers to move up, maybe he has never been interested in going anywhere else. I really don't know.  Goes back  to my point. It seems when Green faces a very capable DC, we see his limitations.  He must have the superior talent to lean on to be successful.  When a key component is lost, he has had trouble, mainly in playoff games against better competition..

Several other assistant coaches have left Lufkin for better coaching jobs elsewhere through the years.  Quick and Green are the only two left from the day John Outlaw started at Lufkin in 1995.   Coach Cook the OL coach has been on the coaching staff in some capacity since 2002.   

The Lufkin fans are restless, it has shown in less home attendance and road games in the last 3 or 4 years.  The fan interest and playoff expectation are flat , losing in the 1st or 2nd round does that to a community.  Lufkin has lost in the 1st round,  9 of the last 14 years. Things are nothing like they are in Longview or Aledo these days, with huge fan expectations, confidence and looking to the future.  Everything here is done on the low key, you just don't get a feel of what's going on within the program. There are still a few old heads like me who stick it out but even we are fading fast.  Don't have the first answer for anyone, some folks who are way above my pay grade in the administration would need to make those decisions and demands for better results.      

15 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

It looks like it will be the freshman qb from last yr or the sr. Pinkard at qb this yr.  Don't know about Pinkard throwing skiils, but he is very mobile. Saw some flashes last yr when he was at wr/rb.  He was the qb when he was on the freshman team.

As far as the future goes, I think the talent will be better, but I need to see improvement this yr before I start thinking deep playoff runs.  Much tougher district and region. in this alignment. 

As of right now, I'm hearing Pinkard at the starting qb spot. Either way, qb play will be a question mark until proven otherwise. The Pinkard does have mobility like you said. 

11 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

But can he throw though

I haven't seen him throw since his Fresh yr.  Ford became starting QB when they were on JV.

But he is a much better runner than any of the qb's last yr.  I would say he is probably near the level of Woods on running 

59 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I haven't seen him throw since his Fresh yr.  Ford became starting QB when they were on JV.

But he is a much better runner than any of the qb's last yr.  I would say he is probably near the level of Woods on running 

Well we might have a good one if he can throw

19 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Well we might have a good one if he can throw

go check out his highlights on JT hudl page. He scored a few tds last yr. The one thing I don't understand is why they didn't use him at QB last yr if he is going to play it this yr.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

My thoughts EXACTLY 

I assume it was probably because they were thin at WR/RB last yr.  But I probably would have gave him a shot when they got down to third string at QB