2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Texas High is too low. 

Im shocked we are 13.   Without a returning QB? 

We have tons coming back.  But we have some big question marks. 

Here’s to it being a fun year 

Just now, Mavchamp said:

Texas High is too low. 

Im shocked we are 13.   Without a returning QB? 

We have tons coming back.  But we have some big question marks. 

Here’s to it being a fun year 

I'm not sure I agree on Texas High..   We are being elevated by the upset of Lufkin last year.   And I think that says more about Lufkin than about us.  We have some good potential but I don't see any solid indications that should put us in the top 20.

8 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm not sure I agree on Texas High..   We are being elevated by the upset of Lufkin last year.   And I think that says more about Lufkin than about us.  We have some good potential but I don't see any solid indications that should put us in the top 20.

I have full confidence in our staff.  And the number of returning starters is encouraging. 

But like you.... top 20 is a reach until I know we are settled on QB. 

12 hours ago, PackAttack said:

In the 5A Division I bracket:

Denton Ryan picked to win State over Frisco Lone Star

Ryan over Manvel in the state title game.  They have Ryan over Lone Star in the regional final.

interesting that they don’t have Longview, HP, or Lufkin getting to regional final.  I am not sure I agree but we will see with us having a new QB

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Ryan over Manvel in the state title game.  They have Ryan over Lone Star in the regional final.

interesting that they don’t have Longview, HP, or Lufkin getting to regional final.  I am not sure I agree but we will see with us having a new QB

I can totally see this season being a "building year" (for Longview) where we *only* go three or four rounds deep...  but at the same time, I can see this squad going all the way. 

All depends on how it all comes together, and gonna need a little bit of luck along the way.

Frankly, at this point, I just hope this season happens, and goes the distance. 

4 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I really understand why they don't have Lufkin even close to a regional final.  The last two years DCTF has ranked Lufkin #1 and #7 respectively , and they have done nothing with it.  A 2nd round loss to Lone Star and getting beat in the 1st round at home by Texas High last year.   I'm more surprised by their lack of talk about Longview.  I mean, the Lobos are moving down from 6A and  have a 2018  6A DII Title under their belt.

Lufkin has the talent to play with the best around. Overall coaching questions loom.  A prime example, not able to adjust, make the right decisions and time management last year against Texas High in our own stadium.  Our game strategy didn't go as planned and they were unable to adjust.  No disrespect to Texas High, they looked very good that night.   Around the coaching circles they say when you play Lufkin's OC , "it's just doubles and trips nothing else. They just try to out athlete you" .      

In fact in the DCTF magazine write up about 5A DI in 2020, Lufkin isn't even mentioned by Greg Tepper in any of his comments.  In fact you hardly here Matt Stepp or Greg Tepper mention Lufkin in their Stepp and Tepp Podcast and that is because they have not generated good results in the playoffs.  Playoffs are where you prove your worth as a program in Texas HS football.  Lufkin has not done that well under Todd Quick.

37 minutes ago, LOL said:

I can totally see this season being a "building year" (for Longview) where we *only* go three or four rounds deep...  but at the same time, I can see this squad going all the way. 

All depends on how it all comes together, and gonna need a little bit of luck along the way.

Frankly, at this point, I just hope this season happens, and goes the distance. 

Assuming we'll have a season, I think there is a bit of 'underestimating' going on with Longview this season. Yes, we are replacing the greatest QB this program has ever seen, but honestly that position isn't what I'm most worried about. I'm only deeply concerned with CB. We have a historic backfield, WR's will be better, OL will be better...much of the firepower like Kybo Jackson-Jamerson, Shannon Jackson II, Joe Jones, Tyree Hale, Laqualon Hale etc returns from that storied defense last year (King making that home run hire of Berry as DC just for reminder)....Onofre back at K...nice young promising 2023 QB for the present and future...other additions...I'm pretty confident in a 4 rounds or better year despite region 2 being beyond loaded.

DCTF's top 20 sort of has the same prospects my top 20 has, but the order differ. They're higher on some teams that I'm not as high on, and vice versa. I think Longview and Ryan are your top 2 for one thing, very little gap between the two. 

My 5A-DI top 20:

1. Longview

2. Denton Ryan

3. Lancaster

4. Frisco Lone Star

5. Highland Park

6. Cedar Park

7. Frisco Independence 

8. Colleyville Heritage

9. Richmond Foster

10. Mansfield Summit

11. Red Oak

12. Manvel

13. Lufkin

14. Abilene Cooper

15. College Station

16. Amarillo

17. Tascosa

18. New Caney

19. FB Hightower 

20. Azle

Others that can't be slept on: Midlothian, Birdville, Sherman, McKinney North, Hendrickson

• Thanks 1

Not much respect for Highland Park @ #5.  They will be there and Longview will have trouble with them.  Simply because they do more with what they have and have a great coaching staff.  HP may not have the athletes a Longview, Lancaster or Denton Ryan but their tradition of playing high caliber football and top coaching make up that difference.  Lone Star is somewhat in that category too. Great coaching staff .

Manvel will be much better than people believe.  Lufkin should be #20, because they are not reliable come playoff time.  Longview has the attitude and desire to make playoff runs in their pro gram, that Lufkin hasn't had much luck with playoffs since 2005, with the exception of 2012 and 2017. Nine,  one and done seasons since 2005.

52 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Assuming we'll have a season, I think there is a bit of 'underestimating' going on with Longview this season. Yes, we are replacing the greatest QB this program has ever seen, but honestly that position isn't what I'm most worried about. I'm only deeply concerned with CB. We have a historic backfield, WR's will be better, OL will be better...much of the firepower like Kybo Jackson-Jamerson, Shannon Jackson II, Joe Jones, Tyree Hale, Laqualon Hale etc returns from that storied defense last year (King making that home run hire of Berry as DC just for reminder)....Onofre back at K...nice young promising 2023 QB for the present and future...other additions...I'm pretty confident in a 4 rounds or better year despite region 2 being beyond loaded.

Well, I think you know at this point that I'm gonna poor-mouth the defense every pre-season. We could be returning the All-Madden defense and I'd still be "worried." That's just a ledge I'm gonna walk out on every Spring.  ;) 

That said, you're right on every point. The loss of Haynes won't be as acutely felt as some may think. Sure, it'll probably tighten up the playbook somewhat (going from 3-year starter to a relative newcomer), but the passing game is still gonna be legit. Opposing defenses load the box to their peril. O-line is gonna be solid. A lotta talented WRs, and Longview gonna Longview at RB. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Not much respect for Highland Park @ #5.  They will be there and Longview will have trouble with them.  

A lot of respect for HP...heck a lot of respect for that top 15. Especially Manvel and up. It'll be a battle at Lobo when HP comes to town.

But when you look at what Lancaster and Lone Star has returning, not sure how you can put HP over them.

Lancaster will choke as always, there whole offense went thru one player last year and he is gone so I don’t understand there ranking so someone enlighten me. Also They can’t get past the discipline/ Mental barrier. They just a good regular season team in a bad district most of the time. 

38 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Red Oak needs to be top 10. 

Would have easily been in my top 10 had they not loss Coach Ross this off-season who was a very good coach. His first season there, they went 9-2. They averaged 3 wins a season before that.

Weapons everywhere for sure. QB Josh Ervin is one of the most dynamic signal callers in the state. Put up 3,000 yards last year and has many of his targets back like WR Raymond Gay. Strong 2022 class, 3 returning on the OL, solid front 7 with a deep LB unit led by Jackson Bailey who won LB MVP honor at NLA combine back in Janurary. 

This is a team with 11 all district players back. So the talent is there....just not sure the coaching is.

52 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Also CH needs to be around 13 

If CH isn't in your top 10....you're in for a surprise.

First off, look at who they hired as HC in the off-season. Kirk Martin, super huge hire and even an upgrade from what they had. This dude is fresh from Syracuse where he was the QBs coach, but before that he went 108-25 as HC at Manvel in 10 seasons, and played for multiple state titles. So, coaching ✅ 

Now lets talk about the talent. There's a reason folks said Joe Willis was a little crazy for leaving CH for Tyler Lee at this particular time because he had a helluva team coming back. 7 back on offense, 6 back on defense. QB AJ Smith has numerous offers, RB Braxton Ash returns ....SB Isaac Shabay, WR Hogan Wasson and D1 TE Jaggar Hebeison all retusn as targets. 2 returning on the OL. DE Taylor Steele and DL Ian Scott returning on that odd man front, Luke Lingard back at LB....Hogan Wasson, Joshua Dobbins and Dylahn McKinney back in the secondary. So, talent also ✅ 

Top 10 team for me and early favorite for R1 in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

A Longview fan putting them at #1, shocker!

Look at what they return.

If you put Ryan above LV, cool. Like I said, there's not much gap between the two. I gave LV the edge because of coaching + the ability to run the ball at will, having one of the best backs in the state in Kaden Meredith + another promising defense. But, not sure how you can put anyone else over LV at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Lancaster will choke as always, there whole offense went thru one player last year and he is gone so I don’t understand there ranking so someone enlighten me. Also They can’t get past the discipline/ Mental barrier. They just a good regular season team in a bad district most of the time. 

Lancaster is loaded. Not sure what one player you are referring to, but QB Glenn Rice Jr is back. He won district newcomer of the year last year as a sophomore, but probably would have won overall MVP had he not been in the same district with HP's Chandler Morris.

Rice put up 3100 total yards and 34 total TDs in 2019 AS A SOPHOMORE. Has a whole bunch around him too and will have one of the best OLs in 5A in front of him. 

Now, its a stacked region. So of course they could lose well before state but it wont mean they were a bad team.

47 minutes ago, ANTI said:

If you put Ryan above LV, cool. Like I said, there's not much gap between the two. I gave LV the edge because of coaching + the ability to run the ball at will, having one of the best backs in the state in Kaden Meredith + another promising defense. But, not sure how you can put anyone else over LV at this point.

A healthy Kaden + solid defense = legit State run. 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

A healthy Kaden + solid defense = legit State run. 

He wont even have to handle all of the load either. Markevion Haynes (5'10 200) to me is one of the best kept secrets on offense. A bomb waiting to blow.

He's a 3 year varsity player like Meredith but injuries havent allowed Lobo fans to truly see his talents. But that 50 yard TD run he had against Lufkin Week 1 in '19 is very much the caliber of player that he is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VonG said:

The new goal posts have been installed at Rose Stadium. They are white. Can't wait to see how the new turf will look. It will probably be the same design as usual. 

cool.  I wonder why they changed the goal post.