2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

On 6/12/2020 at 8:19 PM, CUJONATION83 said:

JT propably has between 150 to 160 kids between the 3 levels. We'll have about 45 to 50 on varsity, 40 on JV, and around 60 freshman. There are alot of reasons for this. 

hearing there could be 4 to 5 freshman on varsity this yr.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

I believe that’s 6 ETx schools now. 

Only going to keep going up, I'm afraid.  This isn't going away anytime soon. 

Nothing will slow this down but herd immunity..... or a vaccine.... neither of which are on the immediate horizon.

We would still be a 6months-year from a vaccine.  Maybe longer.

Herd immunity will be longer.  60-70% of the American population needs to be infected in order for us to declare herd immunity.  We're sitting at about 5% infected right now (including those recovered).  So if it's taken 4 months to hit 5%..... do the math for 60-70% (about 4.5 years).  

And that's hoping for no mutations like we see with seasonal flu.  That will complicate both vaccination and herd immunity.

At risk needs to remain vigilant.  Low risk needs to continue being smart.

The problem with the schools that infinitesimally small percentage of low risk young people that die from Coronavirus.  It's SO UNLIKELY.  But it's not impossible...... and the more ISD's that go forward.... that improbable becomes more and more probable.  

No ISD wants that blood on their hands.  Can't imagine the backlash from the community, the state, the nation if a football/volleyball/cross country died.  "Why didn't you protect them".  It's not fair to blame the ISD... but that's where the blame would fall.  

Glad I'm not the one making decisions.  It's a lose-lose situation on both sides.

I want things to open up and move on too.  But I also want things to be smart.  It's a tough balancing act.

• Like 1

Based on what you are saying Mav, and you have the medical background. We are generally whiffing in the wind here. If this virus is not going away, and we  have no vaccine or herd immunity, and continue to follow this same protocol, then you won't start school on time, if at all . This will affect having a football and Volleyball season period. It also hampers your basketball, cross country seasons and then bleeds over to baseball , softball and soccer AGAIN.........cause your not going to have a vaccine available to the general population by January or February, or herd immunity.   That's, IF we follow this current protocol of shutting stuff down every time there is one or two cases in the group.  It's not going to work, because the whole team must get together to practice at some point and you are definitely together when you play the game on the field.  I just don't see how it will ever work under the current way of just shut it all down when someone test positive.  You will be lucky to get three games in this season with this criteria.

I want to know how many on this site have had the COVID19 virus and recovered from it, or not?  How did it affect you? How did you contract it or do you even know?  This might help our perspective moving forward.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Based on what you are saying Mav, and you have the medical background. We are generally whiffing in the wind here. If this virus is not going away, and we  have no vaccine or herd immunity, and continue to follow this same protocol, then you won't start school on time, if at all . This will affect having a football and Volleyball season period. It also hampers your basketball, cross country seasons and then bleeds over to baseball , softball and soccer AGAIN.........cause your not going to have a vaccine available to the general population by January or February, or herd immunity.   That's, IF we follow this current protocol of shutting stuff down every time there is one or two cases in the group.  It's not going to work, because the whole team must get together to practice at some point and you are definitely together when you play the game on the field.  I just don't see how it will ever work under the current way of just shut it all down when someone test positive.  You will be lucky to get three games in this season with this criteria.

I want to know how many on this site have had the COVID19 virus and recovered from it, or not?  How did it affect you? How did you contract it or do you even know?  This might help our perspective moving forward.

The truth of the matter is this.... no one knows.  Medicine is called a practice for a reason.   It's not like the laws of physics and chemistry where the expected outcome is going to happen 100% of the time EVERY TIME.  It's just not how it works.  If it were..... most of our health issues as a species would have been eradicated generations ago. 

People want to mock those that are helping form policies by calling them "the experts" like they have any way to predicting how this is going to go down.  We can't compare it to a pandemic 100 years ago... or any other outbreak since.  They are each different.   They are learning as they go.  But all these armchair doctors and political experts want to chime in with the most ignorant garbage ever seen on the internet.

Trying to predict how a virus is going to behave in a population of 6 billion people is like trying to predict how your 4 month old is going to behave when they are 16.  Impossible.

I think we've reached a point where most agree we need to start getting things up and running again... but how much how quick.... is a point of debate.  

Hope for a vaccine is there.  But it's not going to be immediate. 

And herd immunity is years away....  Coronavirus could play itself out before we even get there. 

As long as UIL doesn't close it all down.......I personally think football will happen this fall.  Some ISD's will participate.... and some won't.  It's going to be a mess.

Each district will decide for themselves..... either based on legit health concerns.... some based on the political base of their constituency... and some of fear of litigation/scrutiny of a possible death.

It could be a mess.  Can you imagine district 9.... Texas High, Marshall, PT, and Nac all decide to play... but Jax, WH, Hallsville, and MP decide to sit out.  Could be a mess.

If I had to predict.... most rural ISD's will move forward with sports if given the chance.  Inner city schools will be pressured to likely sit out... and suburban schools will a mix of the two based on their political bases.  JMHO.

I'm hopeful for the season...... but I don't think it's going to be normal by any stretch of the imagination. 

I think there's a chance of no bands, pep squads, cheerleaders.  I think home season ticket holders will be scattered about on the home AND the visitors' sides.  And visiting fans will have very limited seating because their side will have so many home fans.  I hope I'm wrong on some of that....but it's things I've thought about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

We would still be a 6months-year from a vaccine.  Maybe longer.

Mav I know you are in medical profession too.  Any vaccine that shows up in 6 months I will probably not be willing to take. It takes 6-8 months to grow influenza vaccines each year & that is with a head start.   The dangers of rushing a vaccine are IMO greater than the disease (at least at this point in time)

You are exactly right in saying we are in a lose-lose situation.  There is no right or wrong thing to do at this point. 

6 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Mav I know you are in medical profession too.  Any vaccine that shows up in 6 months I will probably not be willing to take. It takes 6-8 months to grow influenza vaccines each year & that is with a head start.   The dangers of rushing a vaccine are IMO greater than the disease (at least at this point in time)

You are exactly right in saying we are in a lose-lose situation.  There is no right or wrong thing to do at this point. 

Absolutely.  6 months to a year is how long it could be before a vaccine is developed.

Distribution is a whole different story.  But still much shorter than achieving herd immunity. 

And yes.... I’d have reservations about a rushed vaccine too UNLESS this was to get exponentially worse in the coming months and we saw fatality rates skyrocketing.

My risk/reward may be too great to say no if things were to get really grim.  But as for now.... I’d have the luxury of passing on a first line vaccine due to my age and health.

Not everyone can afford that luxury. 

UIL has made a few new approvals:

Pushing the ball carrier forward is prohibited.

There will be heat time outs.  They have those in Louisiana.

Altering the targeting penalty

Change  to the touch back rule

Proposal to alter the kick off/ punt returns

Sounds like FOOTBALL for sure.

Lifting the broadcast rules for Friday Night football

Approved Streaming games for Friday Night Football for the 2020 season only.

U.I.L. has a $12.8 Million  budget for 2020-2021.

Fast Forward to the 32:40 mark to catch up on the football proposals.

• Like 2

English premier League is returning along with several other European leagues. 

NBA and NFL seem to be moving forward as scheduled. 

Only MLB seems to be flubbing this up and it has zilch to do with the pandemic. 

But I think txhsfb will be different this fall. No doubt about it. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping for a somewhat regular season.   Back with teams I know something about and we do have more returning talent that the last few years.  I'm hopefully optimistic which is something I haven't been in about 5 years.   Hope what I see as potential pans out.  I was more than a little surprised last year. If we hadn't lost QB for several games it would have looked much better on paper.

2 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm hoping for a somewhat regular season.   Back with teams I know something about and we do have more returning talent that the last few years.  I'm hopefully optimistic which is something I haven't been in about 5 years.   Hope what I see as potential pans out.  I was more than a little surprised last year. If we hadn't lost QB for several games it would have looked much better on paper.

I can't imagine the complete disconnect Texas High fans had with all those DFW schools/fans while they were Division I. 

Not only do you have ZERO history with them.... but the long drives would squash attendance for home and away games.  

Just seems.....blahhhhhhh to me.

I really enjoy the bigger crowds and the atmosphere of playing teams we have history with.... and relatively short drives.

Welcome back to the flock....glad to have ya'll.  Just don't get too bossy about taking over the district LOL.  

------

I'm optimistic about the 2020 season too for Marshall.  We have tons coming back. 

Our defense should be nasty good.  

Offense has tons of talent back.  Should have a great backfield.... and a strong corps of WR's returning.

Just that one question mark to fill..... which I hear is going to be a fierce competition.  

Great news.

Excited about the season!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Some people I work with in Texarkana are also quietly optimistic about this team and the drop.  Someone told me that the best thing that happened was the Lufkin win...not because you won a playoff game, but because the good kids are not transferring out and it has a big shot in the arm to the players and coaches.  I can't wait to see what they field this year.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

-----

I'm optimistic about the 2020 season too for Marshall.  We have tons coming back. 

Our defense should be nasty good.  

Offense has tons of talent back.  Should have a great backfield.... and a strong corps of WR's returning.

Just that one question mark to fill..... which I hear is going to be a fierce competition.  

Great news.

Excited about the season!

I honestly am happy about Griedl....I think he is bringing a championship atmosphere to Marshall.  I hope for a good game with Longview this year.  It would be great for your program and be another test for Longview early in the season.  I think the new oline and QB need to face as many tough tests as they can.  It would be good for the players and the fans.

4 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I honestly am happy about Griedl....I think he is bringing a championship atmosphere to Marshall.  I hope for a good game with Longview this year.  It would be great for your program and be another test for Longview early in the season.  I think the new oline and QB need to face as many tough tests as they can.  It would be good for the players and the fans.

We're going to be tested early.

Open with New Caney...who was (10-1) last season. 

Then Longview...who was (11-1)

Then defending State Champion Carthage (16-0).

(37-2) combined. 

Not sure anyone in 5A Div II can claim a lineup like that to open the season.

And I agree..... i think Griedl has assembled a fantastic staff.  And what he's helped get done in the matter of facilities is nothing short of miraculous.

Time to take the next step on the field.  

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

We're going to be tested early.

Open with New Caney...who was (10-1) last season. 

Then Longview...who was (11-1)

Then defending State Champion Carthage (16-0).

(37-2) combined. 

Not sure anyone in 5A Div II can claim a lineup like that to open the season.

And I agree..... i think Griedl has assembled a fantastic staff.  And what he's helped get done in the matter of facilities is nothing short of miraculous.

Time to take the next step on the field.  

When he weathered the storm last year after the QB left the team, and still made big changes, I knew the guy was something special...I have never met him but the way people talk about him reminds me of how Jeff Traylor, Andy Evans and a few others changed the hearts and minds of the community...going to take some time but you guys are on the right track

8 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Going to be a GREAT facility for JT!!!🦁🦁🦁

I took some pictures of the field house. But, for whatever reason I can't upload them. They got a lot more work done for the athletic complex. It looks like it is going to be 100 yards long. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VonG said:

I took some pictures of the field house. But, for whatever reason I can't upload them. They got a lot more work done for the athletic complex. It looks like it is going to be 100 yards long. 

Go to images and see if that works. BTW, JT has 53 players on varsity this year. 4 freshman will be on varsity and good move-in from Lubbock. 

15 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Go to images and see if that works. BTW, JT has 53 players on varsity this year. 4 freshman will be on varsity and good move-in from Lubbock. 

Somebody from Lubbock moved to Tyler? 

38 minutes ago, VonG said:

Somebody from Lubbock moved to Tyler? 

54 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

What position?