2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

With the 50% capacity rule...... getting tickets to some road game could be a challenge for Mav fans.

Luckily ..........we have six home games this season thanks to New Caney moving the game to Marshall in lieu of the kickoff classic game next season down there.

I don't think McKinney North will be much trouble.  Large stadium.... and a long drive.  There should be plenty of seats.

Whitehouse and Jacksonville could be troublesome...... especially if the MHS band travels to those games.... which counts as part of a visiting teams 50% allotment.  MHS band will take up 200 seats.  Add in football and band parents..... and only a couple hundred seats will be left for general admission.  Both games are just a little over an hour drive.... so that's not too far.  Could make things interesting for GA fans.

Hallsville game will be the toughest.  Small visitor's side coupled with the short 10 min drive for Marshall fans.  Could be only a handful available. 

Sounds like some folks will be watching games though some chain-link fences. 

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

With the 50% capacity rule...... getting tickets to some road game could be a challenge for Mav fans.

Luckily ..........we have six home games this season thanks to New Caney moving the game to Marshall in lieu of the kickoff classic game next season down there.

I don't think McKinney North will be much trouble.  Large stadium.... and a long drive.  There should be plenty of seats.

Whitehouse and Jacksonville could be troublesome...... especially if the MHS band travels to those games.... which counts as part of a visiting teams 50% allotment.  MHS band will take up 200 seats.  Add in football and band parents..... and only a couple hundred seats will be left for general admission.  Both games are just a little over an hour drive.... so that's not too far.  Could make things interesting for GA fans.

Hallsville game will be the toughest.  Small visitor's side coupled with the short 10 min drive for Marshall fans.  Could be only a handful available. 

Sounds like some folks will be watching games though some chain-link fences. 

Well it’s a good thing that the games will be online for those whom can’t make it to the game.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, tomlandry said:

Mavchamp....what did you think about DCTF rankings for the district? 

DCTF:
Marshall
Texas High
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
Nacogdoches
Mount Pleasant
Jacksonville
Hallsville

Honestly.... I think they nailed it other than flipping Texas High and Marshall for the district championship.

Don't get me wrong.... I think Marshall is more than capable of winning the district title, but I personally give the nod to Texas High because of their returning QB and that huge program win they got in Lufkin last season.  

I think Marshall's defense might be one of the best we've had....but until we are settled on the QB position.... I gotta give Texarkana the upper hand.  I could change my mind depending on how the season unfolds for each of us.

Pine Tree I think is a great pick for #3.  It's all going to come down to their defense on their ability to challenge Marshall and THS for the title.  If their defense continues their trend over the last few years..... #3 is their lot.  If it improves.... they could slip into that #2 slot.... maybe even be in the district title talk.

WH is a little shaky for me...but I give them a nod for #4 based on their consistency of making the playoffs.  BUT.... they lost a lot from last season.  Most of their offense graduated.... and their defense was shaky for years.  Going to test the coaching staff this season with all the new faces.

Nac could steal that #4 slot if WH stumbles.  But they have their own holes to fill.

MP needs depth.  Without it.... I think their struggles continue.  Playing both ways makes it hard on defense.  If they can get some depth... I think they can push WH and Nac for a playoff spot.

Jacksonville is hard to gauge.  They have athletes....but it just doesn't seem to be coming together for the Tribe yet.   Hoping to see them back to their winning ways soon enough.

Hallsville seems to have an uphill job ahead of them.  New system.... again.  More turnover.  Numbers are down in football from what I'm hearing.  From the outside looking in it appears the AD has accepted the mantra that HHS is a baseball school... and other sports are getting more love than football.  Hope I'm wrong.  I think the Bobcats are in for a long season.

Guess we will see how it pans out.  I've been wrong plenty of times before.  Been right a few times too.

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

DCTF:
Marshall
Texas High
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
Nacogdoches
Mount Pleasant
Jacksonville
Hallsville

Honestly.... I think they nailed it other than flipping Texas High and Marshall for the district championship.

Don't get me wrong.... I think Marshall is more than capable of winning the district title, but I personally give the nod to Texas High because of their returning QB and that huge program win they got in Lufkin last season.  

I think Marshall's defense might be one of the best we've had....but until we are settled on the QB position.... I gotta give Texarkana the upper hand.  I could change my mind depending on how the season unfolds for each of us.

Pine Tree I think is a great pick for #3.  It's all going to come down to their defense on their ability to challenge Marshall and THS for the title.  If their defense continues their trend over the last few years..... #3 is their lot.  If it improves.... they could slip into that #2 slot.... maybe even be in the district title talk.

WH is a little shaky for me...but I give them a nod for #4 based on their consistency of making the playoffs.  BUT.... they lost a lot from last season.  Most of their offense graduated.... and their defense was shaky for years.  Going to test the coaching staff this season with all the new faces.

Nac could steal that #4 slot if WH stumbles.  But they have their own holes to fill.

MP needs depth.  Without it.... I think their struggles continue.  Playing both ways makes it hard on defense.  If they can get some depth... I think they can push WH and Nac for a playoff spot.

Jacksonville is hard to gauge.  They have athletes....but it just doesn't seem to be coming together for the Tribe yet.   Hoping to see them back to their winning ways soon enough.

Hallsville seems to have an uphill job ahead of them.  New system.... again.  More turnover.  Numbers are down in football from what I'm hearing.  From the outside looking in it appears the AD has accepted the mantra that HHS is a baseball school... and other sports are getting more love than football.  Hope I'm wrong.  I think the Bobcats are in for a long season.

Guess we will see how it pans out.  I've been wrong plenty of times before.  Been right a few times too.

Tyler high is scrimmaging Pine Tree on September 18th. Looking forward to see our new qb in action. Tyler High has some SOLID players that people will see in do time definitely in the next 2 to 3 years.

31 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Tyler high is scrimmaging Pine Tree on September 18th. Looking forward to see our new qb in action. Tyler High has some SOLID players that people will see in do time definitely in the next 2 to 3 years.

Hoping so! A good JT makes everyone in the district better.

Errr a good Tyler High.

1 hour ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Right! Qb is still an unknown IMO. I expect Tyler high to compete very well mostly throughout the season. 

Seeing that we didn’t get the chance to see him this summer in 7on7 because of all of the lovelyness going around. I may have to drive down to Longview for the scrimmage.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, CUJONATION83 said:

Right! Qb is still an unknown IMO. I expect Tyler high to compete very well mostly throughout the season. 

And as in competing well do you see a second round playoff Exit? I think that would awesome considering we don’t know much about this team. But that’s only if Sanchez isn’t the QB, if he is the QB this will be a copy of last year and we will probably win about 2-3 games again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MJHS has their 7th and 8th grade schedules posted for both red and white teams. 

Four teams at the JH.  Assuming there will be two freshman teams again this year too. 

Excellent numbers. 

why the middle schools aren’t playing the same district schedule?