2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Hope y’all get a game scheduled! 

I know you had some interest in the Marshall/NC game.   I think y’all should be able to beat them.  All boils down to stopping their running attack.   They aren’t flashy.

Good luck to y’all this season. 

Lufkin  is going to be fine.  Those two RBs over at Tyler Legacy are legit, Donnell and Miller will be hard to stop this year. Someone may stop one, but won't stop both.

Marshall has a good test at home this week with Longview.   Best of luck to the Mavs.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin  is going to be fine.  Those two RBs over at Tyler Legacy are legit, Donnell and Miller will be hard to stop this year. Someone may stop one, but won't stop both.

Marshall has a good test at home this week with Longview.   Best of luck to the Mavs.

Y’all will still win your district.

Denison will be a good test for Texas High. We obviously don’t hear the chatter about the Yellow Jackets, but hear the pundits extolling the strengths of the Tigers. Based on Denison’s trashing of Sherman, I expect a close game. I am going for Texas High for two reasons. The first is Denison has a 2:40 bus ride and second I am a homer.

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Y’all will still win your district.

I honestly don’t see it right now. The district may be better this season with some of our additions from the offseason and we clearly aren’t as good as the last two seasons. College station should probably be the favorite right now unless something happens with the experience they have coming back. But i have to watch the New Caney schools to see who’s better. I don’t trust magnolia or MW. They definitely talk a lot but haven’t been able to back it up. I guess the same can be said about CS, but I’ve seen their talent that they have coming up, which most are playing on varsity now. It may be their year to win district. 

Sounds like Lufkin picked up a game this week Vs Nederland. 

Wonder if it’s at Abe or Ned. 

RABID fan base.  Saw them in full force in 2018 when we played them at Relient Stadium. 

I have no idea how good they are this season, but I think they are traditionally tough... esp at home.  

37 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Sounds like Lufkin picked up a game this week Vs Nederland. 

Wonder if it’s at Abe or Ned. 

RABID fan base.  Saw them in full force in 2018 when we played them at Relient Stadium. 

I have no idea how good they are this season, but I think they are traditionally tough... esp at home.  

It’s on the road for lufkin.

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Biggest surprise for 9-5A last week?

Biggest disappointment? 

Biggest head scratcher?

surprise-  MP.  Are they that much improved.... or is Wylie East that bad??  Marshall’s win over New Caney is a close second.  Not many outside of Marshall picked it.  

Disappointment- Nac not playing football.  Hallsville’s continued tumble is a close second.  

Head Scratcher-  PT giving up 30 to Princeton. 

11 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yea...road game. 

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

surprise-  MP.  Are they that much improved.... or is Wylie East that bad??  Marshall’s win over New Caney is a close second.  Not many outside of Marshall picked it.  

Disappointment- Nac not playing football.  Hallsville’s continued tumble is a close second.  

I knew Marshall would win. I didn’t know it would be as close as it was. 

hallsville is in the same boat as nacogdoches right now. The only difference is they’ve had more playoff success then us. 

time will tell down the road about how Good MP is 

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Wylie East is just that bad.

3 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Wylie East is just that bad.

That’s crazy to me. They were really good when we played them in the playoffs in 2016.  

Of course they had Eno Benjamin running the ball for them.   He’s on the Arizona Cardinals roster now at 21.  

We always get the unluckiest draws in the playoffs lmao. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

That’s crazy to me. They were really good when we played them in the playoffs in 2016.  

Of course they had Eno Benjamin running the ball for them.   He’s on the Arizona Cardinals roster now at 21.  

We always get the unluckiest draws in the playoffs lmao. 

Most of if not all of the good players in Wylie are at Wylie high.

• Like 1

Surprise: Texas High destroying JT. I know JT is down, but the 41-21 score doesn’t really reflect how THigh really dominated that game. I watched it and THigh looks really good. 

Disappointment: Jax gave up two safeties in a 3 min span after leading 12-0 that just took the wind out of our sails. Jax can score, just have to cut out those pieces of the game that costs them wins. Beating yourself happens just as much as someone beating you. 

Head Scratcher: Anyone surprised by Marshall beating New Caney like that. 9-5A D2 is going to be much improved this year. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Head Scratcher: Anyone surprised by Marshall beating New Caney like that. 9-5A D2 is going to be much improved this year. 

Meh.... NC coming off of a 10-0 season with a very good defense coming back. 

Marshall searching for a QB. 

Marshall with a history of slow starts to a season the last 4-5 years.  

I wasn’t going to be shocked if we lost.  But I’m thrilled we not only won, but beat what I think is a pretty dang good (but not great) team. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, Mavchamp said:

Not that Hallsville has ever been a power in football but under Plunk they were competitive in most games.

His successor really depleted the enthusiasm to even suit up as the numbers really dropped. The 3 years under this coach were horrible.

A new coach is now in place and the numbers are back up. There are multiple starters that have not played football in 2 to 4 years because of the previous regime.

What little I have seen and heard of the new coach is much more promising.