2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Longview Vs. Beaumont Westbrook- Longview

Tyler Legacy Vs. Pulaski Academy (Ark)-  IMHO... the Red Raiders were headed to their second straight loss with Allen, but now I think they get a comfortable win.

Magnolia Vs. Lufkin*-  I Keep going back and fourth on this one.  Lufkin winning wouldn't shock me... but neither would Magnolia winning.  LP seems to have some injury troubles and some defensive woes.  Going with Magnolia.... hoping the Panthers prove me wrong.

Greenville Vs. Ennis*- Ennis..... by a lot.

Highland Park Vs. Rockwall- Rockwall's offense has been lighting it up.... but their defense is suspect.  HP is HP.... not much more to say.  Going with the Yellowjackets in a barnburner.

Sulphur Springs Vs. Crandall*- Crandall wins by a couple of scores.

Corsicana Vs. Royse City*- Going with Corsicana.....but not excited about it.

North Forney Vs. Forney*- North Forney beats up on older brother.

McKinney North Vs. Rockwall Heath- Heath has scored 72, 57, and 39 points in their three games.... and North has some defensive issues.  Hawks should win....but North will get some points too.

Tyler Vs. Mesquite Horn-  Tough pick.  Tyler is struggling to find their offensive identity.  Horn has been inconsistent.  This could go either way IMHO.  The week off could hurt the Lions, while Horn has been consistent on their schedule.  Taking Horn in a close one.

Sherman Vs. McKinney- I'm not sure how you come back from a 62-0 loss to Saginaw.... McKinney has played well enough.  I'll take the Lions.

Magnolia West Vs. Cleveland*- West by as many as they want.  Cleveland can't get off the struggle bus.

Waller Vs. Caney Creek*-  Neither of them are doing much to impress.  But I'm going to take Waller

Porter Vs. College Station*- College Station with ease.

New Caney- Bye.  I'm interested to see how NC does the remainder of the season after out close game with them.  They have some athletes.... and easily could have won the game between us.  

Unfortunately we wont know how the matchup would have gone. I think the Nac/Tyler game was going to be closer than it has been recently. Not sure how we would have matched up with LP, but if the Lufkin people are saying their defense is the problem then it would have been a better game than any have been since 2013-2014. Nac's defense has been good except for the 6 minute stretch in the second quarter this last Friday. Special teams actually cost them 14 of the 28 straight points rudder scored at the end of the 2nd qtr. 

I'm still trying to gague everyone in 9-5A.  It's tough, IMHO.

Texas High is off to a 3-0 start.... and they have looked impressive thus far.  They are making it look easy. Defensively they are stingy... and offensively it sounds like they found their man at QB.  The team to beat IMHO.

WH is 3-0... but their schedule has been against less competition than I think they will see in 9-5A.  Hard to tell.... the Corsi win raises my eyebrows a little, but the Tigers may be rebuilding in 2020.  Just not sure about WH just yet.

PT is 2-0-1 and also has played some questionable competition.... still giving up a lot on defense.  No question they are going to get some points... but what about when they play a better defense?  And bigger question... will THEY play defense in 2020?

Marshall looked horrible Vs. you know who; beat a McKinney North team handily, and beat a New Caney team in a barnburner; both are predicted playoff contenders....but only time will tell.  Not too high... or too low on the Mavs right now.  But I'm happy with where we are.  I think we're a contender.

Nacogdoches- we just haven't seen enough of them to know much.  They blew out a weak team... then got blown out by Rudder, which isn't a great team.  Nac needs some more snaps before we can know who they are and what they bring to the table.

Mount Pleasant-  They were off to a fantastic start... but it looks like things fell apart last week... in a game I honestly thought they would win comfortably.  Hard to know which MP team is the one we will see in district play.  

Hallsville- Like Nac.... Hallsville just hasn't had enough snaps.  And that's not good for a team that was looking to rebuild... and learn new systems for a new coach.  I'm thinking this is going to be a tough season for the Bobcats.......

Jacksonville-  Their struggles have shocked me TBH... and the game on Saturday wasn't as close as the score showed.  Gonna be another tough year for the indians it appears.  

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High is off to a 3-0 start.... and they have looked impressive thus far.  They are making it look easy. Defensively they are stingy... and offensively it sounds like they found their man at QB.  The team to beat IMHO.

WH is 3-0... but their schedule has been against less competition than I think they will see in 9-5A.  Hard to tell.... the Corsi win raises my eyebrows a little, but the Tigers may be rebuilding in 2020.  Just not sure about WH just yet.

PT is 2-0-1 and also has played some questionable competition.... still giving up a lot on defense.  No question they are going to get some points... but what about when they play a better defense?  And bigger question... will THEY play defense in 2020?

Marshall looked horrible Vs. you know who; beat a McKinney North team handily, and beat a New Caney team in a barnburner; both are predicted playoff contenders....but only time will tell.  Not too high... or too low on the Mavs right now.  But I'm happy with where we are.  I think we're a contender.

Nacogdoches- we just haven't seen enough of them to know much.  They blew out a weak team... then got blown out by Rudder, which isn't a great team.  Nac needs some more snaps before we can know who they are and what they bring to the table.

Mount Pleasant-  They were off to a fantastic start... but it looks like things fell apart last week... in a game I honestly thought they would win comfortably.  Hard to know which MP team is the one we will see in district play.  

Hallsville- Like Nac.... Hallsville just hasn't had enough snaps.  And that's not good for a team that was looking to rebuild... and learn new systems for a new coach.  I'm thinking this is going to be a tough season for the Bobcats.......

Jacksonville-  Their struggles have shocked me TBH... and the game on Saturday wasn't as close as the score showed.  Gonna be another tough year for the indians it appears.  

I personally think Nacs season really comes down to if they can beat WH. The inability to beat Whitehouse has had the Dragons on the outside of the playoff picture for the last 3 years. We blew 4th quarter leads the last 3 years, last year we lost in the last minute of the game. 

I know this is just the first game and there is a lot of the season left but starting 0-1 with a loss to a team that figures to be in the 3rd or 4th spot will set us up to be 5th or 6th again. 

15 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I personally think Nacs season really comes down to if they can beat WH. The inability to beat Whitehouse has had the Dragons on the outside of the playoff picture for the last 3 years. We blew 4th quarter leads the last 3 years, last year we lost in the last minute of the game. 

I know this is just the first game and there is a lot of the season left but starting 0-1 with a loss to a team that figures to be in the 3rd or 4th spot will set us up to be 5th or 6th again. 

On the plus side.... the game is in Nac.  I know they have struggled at home of late....BUT....I don't think there's a team in East Texas that gets more home cooking than WH.  Not that I've witnessed at least.

I've heard it from MP fans, PT fans, Jax fans, Nac fans.... and the Mavs experienced it first hand and in all its glory last season.  And I'm just talking about the officiating.  I'm not talking about the extracurriculars that are also widely known and expected from them.

Best of luck to Nac Vs. WH.  I hope ya'll beat the breaks off of them.

I'm just not expecting it.

We are gonna have our hands full with Pine Tree that night.

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

On the plus side.... the game is in Nac.  I know they have struggled at home of late....BUT....I don't think there's a team in East Texas that gets more home cooking than WH.  Not that I've witnessed at least.

I've heard it from MP fans, PT fans, Jax fans, Nac fans.... and the Mavs experienced it first hand and in all its glory last season.  And I'm just talking about the officiating.  I'm not talking about the extracurriculars that are also widely known and expected from them.

Whoever wins between Whitehouse and Nac will square off against Mt. Pleasant for the 4 spot. 

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree with them getting home cooking for sure after the fake punt fiasco last year!! Homefield has not been an advantage but our wins the past few years have bene at home. The game will have a different feel for sure with no visiting bands in the stands. 

We are not playing a game this week so we will be taking 2 weeks to prepare for a team. This is prep time we have not had, since our games have been changing the week of the game. 

1 minute ago, tomlandry said:

Whoever wins between Whitehouse and Nac will square off against Mt. Pleasant for the 4 spot. 

I don't envy whoever gets that #4 spot.

Their reward will likely be a road game to either Huntsville or A&M Consolidated.

Neither sounds fun.  

Just now, Nacwagons said:

I agree with them getting home cooking for sure after the fake punt fiasco last year!! Homefield has not been an advantage but our wins the past few years have bene at home. The game will have a different feel for sure with no visiting bands in the stands. 

We are not playing a game this week so we will be taking 2 weeks to prepare for a team. This is prep time we have not had, since our games have been changing the week of the game. 

Is Whitehouse just well coached or do they have some athletes? 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

This is not a rebuilding year for us. We had returning starters back on both sides of the ball. WH just punched us in the mouth. Plain and simple. And with our starting quarterback out 2-3 weeks, its going to be a tough out going into district play this week.

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Their reward will likely be a road game to either Huntsville or A&M Consolidated.

Neither sounds fun.  

Getting in, is getting in and right now I don't care who we would play if we could start making the playoffs. 

14 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Is Whitehouse just well coached or do they have some athletes? 

IDK, I know I have come into each of the last 3-4 years not seeing anything special from Whitehouse. Even after our losses to them, I was still wondering how in the world they seem to sneak by with wins in some of the district games. I am not using the word "sneak" in an insulting way. They have been finding ways to win games!!

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Neither sounds fun.  

Mavchamp, I enjoy reading your insights.   One of the fascinating things for us Texas High fans is that we are back in an East Texas district after a couple of years matched up with teams from the east side of the Metroplex.   It's good to be back where we belong.   But this is the first time T-High has ever been in Region 3.   In the playoffs our district will match up with teams from just north of Houston.   You mentioned Huntsville and A&M Consolidated.   I see that 4 or 5 teams from that district remain undefeated.   How would you rank the strength of the teams in 10-5A (Div 2)? 

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Mavchamp, I enjoy reading your insights.   One of the fascinating things for us Texas High fans is that we are back in an East Texas district after a couple of years matched up with teams from the east side of the Metroplex.   It's good to be back where we belong.   But this is the first time T-High has ever been in Region 3.   In the playoffs our district will match up with teams from just north of Houston.   You mentioned Huntsville and A&M Consolidated.   I see that 4 or 5 teams from that district remain undefeated.   How would you rank the strength of the teams in 10-5A (Div 2)? 

Huntsville and A&M consolidated have been outstanding. 

FB Marshall has been a beast too. 

Cant forget Manvel, which I’m not even certain if they are D2 this go around. 

40 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Huntsville and A&M consolidated have been outstanding. 

FB Marshall has been a beast too. 

Cant forget Manvel, which I’m not even certain if they are D2 this go around. 

Manvel went up to D1 ....10-5A D-1 with the Fort Bend D-1 schools......

All schools in Greenville ISD are being closed through the end of the week for Covid. Greenville vs Ennis might not be happening.

Edit: They have since clarified, they will still allow outdoor activities, so the game is still on.  Such as it is, anyway, we're still playing Ennis.

Mavchamp has done such a great job on 9-5A, I'll take a stab at 10-5A II.  

The 3 returning playoff teams from this district were all hit hard by graduation.  The district is wide open and all teams have a playoff shot.

A&M Consolidated – Last year, 10-0 Regular season and lost a close one in the 2nd round to FB Marshall.  The Tigers lost a lot of talent, especially at the offensive skill positions.  4 guys from last years team are now playing at Power 5 schools.  A&M returns 6 starters, mainly on the OL and DL.  The defense is expected to be pretty salty and they have a great coach, Lee Fedora, who is 30-6 in his 3 seasons.  No doubt this program reloads.  The Tigers have started the season 3-0.

Huntsville – The Hornets have turned the corner in the last 3 years.  They went 4th round in 2018 and 3rd round last year.  Both years taken out by FB Marshall.  Graduation losses were also heavy as only 4 starters return.  The D-Line is the strength of the team and will wreck major havoc on opposing offenses.  The offense is talented but lacks experience.  Huntsville has dominated their first 2 games against 6A schools and has a tough one against another 6A team CE King this week.

Bryan Rudder – The Rangers have never been to the playoffs and haven’t had a winning season in a decade.  2020 looks promising as they have one of the top QB/WR combos in the district and a defense returning 9 starters.  The ascension of Bryan Rudder is evident and I expect them to be 4-0 after this weekend.  They do have the talent on both sides of the ball and I expect their first ever playoff appearance.

Montgomery – The Bears return 15 starters from 2019.  They had a lot of on/off field issues last year with a hazing scandal and look to bounce back in 2020.  The coach’s son is a 3 year starter at QB and the Bears also have an excellent QB/WR combo.  The offense can put up points.  The defense and special teams are still suspect and I would expect some shoot-outs this season.  Montgomery has started 1-2.  The two losses were to Porter and Crosby by a combined 4 points.

Lamar Consolidated – New coach at Lamar who will have to replace a core of skill players including the QB and an all-state RB who is now at Baylor.  The Mustangs do have 10 starters returning including a veteran O-Line.  Lamar certainly has the speed and athleticism for a 3rd straight playoff appearance.  Lamar has started 0-3 this year as they try and find their identity.  I will forecast that they miss the playoffs.

Lake Creek – The Lions have never been to the playoffs but are very close to a breakout year.  Both sides of the ball have most of their starters returning.  The QB, an ATM baseball commit, is 6’6” and is back after an injury in 2019.  The secondary looks to be a strength of the team.  The Lions only loss this season is to Porter and they should be 3-1 after this weekend.  Lake Creek has an excellent shot at the playoffs.

Fulshear – The Chargers make the jump from 4A to 5A but they have their work cut out for them.  Fulshear has also never been to the playoffs and still may be a year or two away.  They have a talented sophomore class and their freshman class has had success.  Fulshear has started 3-0 against weaker competition and I believe they will not be playoff bound in 2020.

4 hours ago, Aledo said:

Here was my updated best guess

w9 Texarkana / f10 Fulshear
r12 Barbers Hill / t11 Houston Sterling
w10 A&M Consolidated / f9 Whitehouse
r11 Fort Bend Willowridge / t12 Port Neches-Groves
w11 Fort Bend Marshall / f12 Kingwood Park
r10 Huntsville / t9 Longview Pine Tree
w12 Crosby / f11 Houston Waltrip
r9 Marshall / t10 Bryan Rudder

That’s a pretty solid assessment IMHO. 

1st: Rudder

2nd: Crosby

3rd: FB Marshall/Huntsville 

4th:  Texas High/AMC

5th: Boerne Champion/Mission

6th:  Aledo/Ennis/Frisco/WF Rider

Wowzers. That’s a tough road by anyone’s measuring stick. 

On 10/13/2020 at 8:29 AM, Nacwagons said:

IDK, I know I have come into each of the last 3-4 years not seeing anything special from Whitehouse. Even after our losses to them, I was still wondering how in the world they seem to sneak by with wins in some of the district games. I am not using the word "sneak" in an insulting way. They have been finding ways to win games!!

The trouble for Nac is not taking care of schools like Whitehouse and Mount Pleasant. They have the same problem as Mount Pleasant. I think Mount Pleasant is going to shock some teams this year. Pine Tree and Texas High will decide who wins district. Whitehouse doesn't seem like a threat to me to finish fourth. I think it's Mount Pleasant. Nac reminds me of Greenville. For years, Greenville lacked coaching. Greenville now has a great coaching staff. It remains to be seen about Nac and their coach 

1 hour ago, tomlandry said:

The trouble for Nac is not taking care of schools like Whitehouse and Mount Pleasant. They have the same problem as Mount Pleasant. I think Mount Pleasant is going to shock some teams this year. Pine Tree and Texas High will decide who wins district. Whitehouse doesn't seem like a threat to me to finish fourth. I think it's Mount Pleasant. Nac reminds me of Greenville. For years, Greenville lacked coaching. Greenville now has a great coaching staff. It remains to be seen about Nac and their coach 

We’ve have hired  winning coaches before. That doesn’t impress me anymore what will though is if a coach can make this program consistent in winning. First place in this district will come down to three teams T high Marshall and pine tree. The rest I believe will be fighting for fourth.