2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Just now, LoboFan07 said:

We didn't have that experience in football, but we certainly got it in our volleyball playoff meeting back in 2015.

Completely agree with everything you're saying.

The on-field shenanigans last year were unlike anything I’ve ever seen on a football field.  

WH had more personal fouls called against them than I’ve ever seen in a game.  And they didn’t get as many as they deserved.  It was almost like that was their game plan.  See if we can get some of the opposition’s players ejected. Then maybe we can win.  

Now.... you wanna talk basketball, Baseball, and softball.... the shenanigans weren’t on the courts or the fields.... but in the stands by the student section.  

It’s clearly systemic. 

And it’s not a figment of people’s imagination.  And it’s not being dramatic... or overly sensitive.  It’s real. Very real.

I’ve  seen it.  I’ve heard it.  And apparently..... fans of lots of other schools have too.

Sorry if that bothers some folks. Truth hurts. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lufkin just gave up one of the best punt returns I've ever seen, thanks in part to a lot of missed tackles.

Pack led 17-7 at halftime. Magnolia now leads 20-17 with under 8 to go in the 4th.

Final.

Magnolia wins 26-24. Lufkin 0-2 in district.

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The on-field shenanigans last year were unlike anything I’ve ever seen on a football field.  

WH had more personal fouls called against them than I’ve ever seen in a game.  And they didn’t get as many as they deserved.  It was almost like that was their game plan.  See if we can get some of the opposition’s players ejected. Then maybe we can win.  

Now.... you wanna talk basketball, Baseball, and softball.... the shenanigans weren’t on the courts or the fields.... but in the stands by the student section.  

It’s clearly systemic. 

And it’s not a figment of people’s imagination.  And it’s not being dramatic... or overly sensitive.  It’s real. Very real.

I’ve  seen it.  I’ve heard it.  And apparently..... fans of lots of other schools have too.

Sorry if that bothers some folks. Truth hurts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The distaste of the WH program by seemingly everyone in the district last season had nothing to do with 2006, purposely blown games, or the former coach. 

There is something that every school in this district has in common that Whitehouse and one other school doesn’t have.   And the fans of those schools discussed it widely, openly, and candidly on this... and other forums. 

At least they were consistent to everyone.  But it’s shameful IMHO.  Especially given the makeup of their team... if not their student body.  But when fans of MP, Jax, Nac, PT, and Marshall all confirm it.....  

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... 🦆 

What’s funny..... This isn’t Highland Park in Dallas.  It’s not Westlake in Austin.  It’s not Hunters Creek in Houston.  Lake Travis?  SLC?  

Nope. It’s a town with a Dairy Queen in East freaking Texas.  

THIS.

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Final.

Magnolia wins 26-24. Lufkin 0-2 in district.

10 hours ago, VonG said:

It's time to clean house in lufkin whether they want to admit it or not. They a need voice in their locker room. 

The Lufkin 28 year playoff streak is in serious jeopardy!!!  I work in Lufkin and I am already hearing it in town this morning!! 

As far as my feelings against Whitehouse, I just have not been impressed with any of their teams since Mahomes left. They have found ways to win and make the playoffs and that is great for them. They have slipped by Nac the last 3 or 4 years overcoming 4th Qtr deficits and that game in particular has cost Nac a playoff spot. 

We will see how this shakes out this year, Nac starts their district schedule with Whitehouse and Pine Tree, an 0-2 start will pretty much end their chances this year. A 1-1 start has them in the conversation and a 2-0 start will have them in the driver seat for the 3 or 4 spot. We will find out a lot about Nac this Friday in how they start district. Really hard to tell what we are at this point we have had zero preparation time for the teams we have played so far. While both teams have 2 weeks to prepare for each other this week, Nac finally getting to prep for an opponent should definilty help see thier identity this year. 

Just looking for baby steps!!  

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

The Lufkin 28 year playoff streak is in serious jeopardy!!!  I work in Lufkin and I am already hearing it in town this morning!! 

Very tough district.  Lufkin’s path to the playoffs is beating the two New Caney schools.  

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Yuuup. I think LP takes it.  But.... 2020.  

If they struggle against Porter this week, I just don't see it.

I think the only wins for sure they have left on their schedule are Cleveland and Conroe Caney Creek. The rest are all legit threats to win.

at Porter, vs New Caney, at College Station, vs Waller. They need to win at least two of these games.

For some reason everyone is just pushing Waller aside and saying they're not good. They had chances to beat both Bryan and Tomball in their two losses this year (two teams with a combined one loss). They dominated Cleveland 50-6 and Caney Creek 56-6. We'll know more about them this week when they take on Magnolia West.

12 hours ago, mav01 said:

I'll be interested in the LP VS New Caney match up. 

Yep.

New Caney have a few back that didnt play earlier in the season....we'll know for sure what they're about Thursday against College Station.

Week 4 Recap:

Longview beat Westbrook 51-28
Magnolia beat Lufkin 26-24
North Forney beat Forney 61-21
Mesquite Horn beat Tyler 41-27
Greenville Vs. Ennis- PPD
Sulphur Springs Vs. Crandall- PPD
Royse City beat Corsicana 41-28
Rockwall Heath beat McKinney North 56-14
Highland Park beat Rockwall 46-18
Timber Creek beat West Mesquite 27-7
McKinney beat Sherman 24-14
College Station beat Porter 24-14
Magnolia West beat Cleveland 49-8
Waller beat Caney Creek 56-6
New Caney- OFF
Wylie East- OFF
Marshall, Pine Tree, Hallsville, Mount Pleasant, Texas High, Jacksonville, Nacogdoches, Whitehouse- OFF

---------------

District 8-5A DIV II
North Forney (4-0) (1-0)
Royse City (2-1) (1-0)
Ennis (2-0) (0-0)
Greenville (2-1) (0-0)
Crandall (2-1) (0-0)
Sulphur Springs (0-2) (0-0)
Corsicana (1-3) (0-1)
Forney (0-4) (0-1)

A couple of postponements make the standings a little convoluted early on with four teams sitting at (0-0).  However, Royse City and North Forney have flexed their way to the top of the district in the first week.  Corsicana's struggles are surprising.   District favorite Ennis was idle... as was Greenville, Crandall, and Sulphur Springs.  No make-updates have been announced yet.  Looking to be a good race thus far.

District 9-5A DIV II
Texas High (3-0)
Whitehouse (3-0)
Pine Tree (2-0-1)
Marshall (2-1)
Mount Pleasant (2-1)
Nacogdoches (1-1)
Hallsville (0-2)
Jacksonville (0-3)

Everyone was idle this passed week.  Obviously the biggest game this week is the Pine Tree Vs. Marshall game, followed by the Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches game.  The PT/Marshall winner will be setting up a showdown Vs. Texas High.... the WH/Nac loser is putting themselves in an early hole in the district race.  Texas High should be a heavy favorite over MP.  Someone will have to win between Jax/Hallsville.

District 7-5A DIV I
Highland Park (2-0)
Longview (3-1)
Wylie East (1-1)
Sherman (1-4)
McKinney North (0-3)
Tyler (0-3)
West Mesquite (0-4)

Outside of HP and Longview, this district has been unimpressive thus far this season.  HP and Longview are coming off impressive wins this passed week.  Everyone else struggled to large losses.  The race for the district title looks to be exciting...but the rest looks pretty muddy.

District 8-5A DIV I
Magnolia (3-1) (2-0)
Magnolia West (3-1) (2-0)
Waller (2-2) (2-0)
New Caney (2-1) (1-0)
College Station (4-1) (1-1)
Porter (2-2) (0-2)
Lufkin (1-3) (0-2)
Cleveland (1-3) (0-2)
Caney Creek (0-3) (0-1)

Lufkin in  7th place?  That's not a typo.  The panthers are off to their slowest start since 2013 when they started (1-5) before winning four straight to get into the playoffs.  Their 28 year playoff streak is in danger with a tough district line-up.  College Station is still widely regarded as the class of the district, but Magnolia and Magnolia West are making a statement.  Waller is lurking in the water too, as is New Caney.  Looks to be a fantastic race down the stretch.

------------------

Week 5 Games:
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall
Lufkin Vs. Porter
Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches
Royse City Vs. Greenville
Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant
West Mesquite Vs. Longview
Tyler Vs. McKinney North
Wylie East Vs Sherman
Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville
Forney Vs. Corsicana
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs
Crandall Vs. North Forney
College Station Vs. New Caney
Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West
Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

22 year playoff streak. We last missed the post season in 1997. Outlaws second season in Lufkin. 

Nonetheless, we have our work cut out for us. There were some positive signs last night. I figured we would lose to magnolia by 2+ scores honestly. Defense put on its best show by far. Offensively, green just continues to kill us with his play calling. If Lufkin had Caleb Berry back last night, we win that game. My honest opinion. We lost one of our top targets by moving him to RB to help the run game with Berry out. #11 Sam Flack the TE. My opinion is, we win out from here. IF we stay healthy. Yeah, even college station. But it doesn’t matter if we go 10-0, 9-1, 8-2, 7-3, 6-4, or 5-5. We all know how Lufkins season ends in the playoffs 90% of the time. I don’t see the big deal. So what we’re off to a 1-3 start. We will most likely go as far as we do when we start out 4-0 lol 

14 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

22 year playoff streak. We last missed the post season in 1997. Outlaws second season in Lufkin. 

Yeah my 21 looked like a 27:) on my hand written notes then I added last years , but your right it is 22. that's what I get for handwriting stuff instead of typing it!!

Pine Tree could test Marshall's district winning streak this Friday.

The Mavericks are currently in the midst of their longest district winning streak in program history.  They currently have a 25 game district winning streak dating back to 2016.

Marshall is (31-2) in district play since 2015.  They are (35-5) since 2014. 

During this streak, the Mavs have won three consecutive district championships and four in the last five seasons.

Last year's team shattered the streak held by the 1987-1990 Mavs that won 18 consecutive district games and three consecutive titles.  

The Mavs have been to the playoffs 7 consecutive seasons and 13 of the last 16 seasons.

Marshall leads the overall series (29-9-1). 

The Mavs have won 8 consecutive games Vs. PT and 16 of 18 since dropping classification in 2002.

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Just now, Mavchamp said:

Pine Tree could test Marshall's district winning streak this Friday.

The Mavericks are currently in the midst of their longest district winning streak in program history.  They currently have a 25 game district winning streak dating back to 2016.

Marshall is (31-2) in district play since 2015.  They are (35-5) since 2014. 

During this streak, the Mavs have won three consecutive district championships and four in the last five seasons.

Last year's team shattered the streak held by the 1987-1990 Mavs that won 18 consecutive district games and three consecutive titles.  

The Mavs have been to the playoffs 7 consecutive seasons and 13 of the last 16 seasons.

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

if they don't challenge it Texas High certainly will:)