2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

19 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

22 year playoff streak. We last missed the post season in 1997. Outlaws second season in Lufkin. 

Nonetheless, we have our work cut out for us. There were some positive signs last night. I figured we would lose to magnolia by 2+ scores honestly. Defense put on its best show by far. Offensively, green just continues to kill us with his play calling. If Lufkin had Caleb Berry back last night, we win that game. My honest opinion. We lost one of our top targets by moving him to RB to help the run game with Berry out. #11 Sam Flack the TE. My opinion is, we win out from here. IF we stay healthy. Yeah, even college station. But it doesn’t matter if we go 10-0, 9-1, 8-2, 7-3, 6-4, or 5-5. We all know how Lufkins season ends in the playoffs 90% of the time. I don’t see the big deal. So what we’re off to a 1-3 start. We will most likely go as far as we do when we start out 4-0 lol 

I still have no idea why y'all didn't go for it on 4th and 1 or whatever it was. Kept Magnolia with momentum.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I still have no idea why y'all didn't go for it on 4th and 1 or whatever it was. Kept Magnolia with momentum.

Man, that was a gutless call. You’re 1-2 on the season, 0-1 in district, at home against what is probably the best team in the district with a narrow lead and shaky defense and you punt the damn ball. Unbelievable. Todd quick and Scott green folks. 

4 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Man, that was a gutless call. You’re 1-2 on the season, 0-1 in district, at home against what is probably the best team in the district with a narrow lead and shaky defense and you punt the damn ball. Unbelievable. Todd quick and Scott green folks. 

Careful what you wish for. 

Our last coach would go for it on 4th down anywhere on the field. 

We lost a playoff game in 2017 vs Mesquite Poteet 35-30.  Absolutely should have won that game. 

Then lost a region semis game in 2018 because he went for a 2 point conversion instead of kicking it and forcing OT.  It cost us a spot in the quarterfinals.

I guess both can be maddening. But IMHO his recklessness cost us several games (Shadowcreek, Corsicana to name a few others).  

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Careful what you wish for. 

Our last coach would go for it on 4th down anywhere on the field. 

We lost a playoff game in 2017 vs Mesquite Poteet 35-30.  Absolutely should have won that game. 

Then lost a region semis game in 2018 because he went for a 2 point conversion instead of kicking it and forcing OT.  It cost us a spot in the quarterfinals.

I guess both can be maddening. But IMHO his recklessness cost us several games (Shadowcreek, Corsicana to name a few others).  

It’s all situational. At that moment, being near midfield, and magnolia with the momentum late in the game, it had to be done. Lufkin never takes a chance. Quick has nuts the size of peas. I’m sure 007 could tell you how many times those gutless calls cost us opportunities to take control. 

18 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

It’s all situational. At that moment, being near midfield, and magnolia with the momentum late in the game, it had to be done. Lufkin never takes a chance. Quick has nuts the size of peas. I’m sure 007 could tell you how many times those gutless calls cost us opportunities to take control. 

I agree 💯.  There is a time and a place you go for those situations. 

Being gutless is just as frustrating as being reckless. 

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree 💯.  There is a time and a place you go for those situations. 

Being gutless is just as frustrating as being reckless. 

It’s the most frustrating thing ever. It’s tough being a Lufkin fan these days. Idk what’s going on here or in North Tyler. 

1 minute ago, LufkinPack said:

It’s the most frustrating thing ever. It’s tough being a Lufkin fan these days. Idk what’s going on here or in North Tyler. 

Well. Besides Longview.... we’ve all had tough stretches in 5A at one time or another. 

Texas High is coming out of a slump.  JT has had a slump.  Marshall had a 100 year low 7-8 years ago.  

Hopefully y’all will avoid it. I don't wish it on anyone (well. Maybe a few).   Or at least that it’s short lived. 

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Well. Besides Longview.... we’ve all had tough stretches in 5A at one time or another. 

Texas High is coming out of a slump.  JT has had a slump.  Marshall had a 100 year low 7-8 years ago.  

Hopefully y’all will avoid it. I don't wish it on anyone (well. Maybe a few).   Or at least that it’s short lived. 

Lol true. I do have a better feeling about the rest of the regular season after Friday. At least defensively. Those youngsters seem to be getting better. We’ll also have Caleb Berry back since the first half down in Nederland this coming Friday. So I can see us making it to 7-3 if we stay healthy. We definitely won’t win a playoff game but i just want to see improvement from these young guys going into next season. 

District 10-5A II  Update:
The district continues to be very strong as the teams finish non district play 20-7.

This weeks scores:
1.    A&M Consolidated  21   Willis  0 
2.    Huntsville  17   CE King  12
3.    Bryan Rudder  47   Lockhart  37
4.    Montgomery  38   Conroe Oak Ridge  13
5.    Lake Creek  42   Spring Legacy  7
6.    Fulshear  33   Ft. Bend Clements  7
7.    Humble  24   Lamar Consolidated  21

Non District Standings:
A&M Consolidated  4-0
Bryan Rudder    4-0
Fulshear   4-0
Huntsville   3-0
Lake Creek  3-1
Montgomery  2-2
Lamar Consolidated  0-4

Big Games Next week:
Huntsville at Bryan Rudder – Undefeated teams.  Rudder averaging 52 points per game vs. the Huntsville defense giving up 10 points per game.  What gives?
Lake Creek at Fulshear  -  Two teams hoping to finish in the top 4 and grab their first ever playoff game.  This game will be important for the pecking order.

20 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

District 10-5A II  Update:
The district continues to be very strong as the teams finish non district play 20-7.

This weeks scores:
1.    A&M Consolidated  21   Willis  0 
2.    Huntsville  17   CE King  12
3.    Bryan Rudder  47   Lockhart  37
4.    Montgomery  38   Conroe Oak Ridge  13
5.    Lake Creek  42   Spring Legacy  7
6.    Fulshear  33   Ft. Bend Clements  7
7.    Humble  24   Lamar Consolidated  21

Non District Standings:
A&M Consolidated  4-0
Bryan Rudder    4-0
Fulshear   4-0
Huntsville   3-0
Lake Creek  3-1
Montgomery  2-2
Lamar Consolidated  0-4

Big Games Next week:
Huntsville at Bryan Rudder – Undefeated teams.  Rudder averaging 52 points per game vs. the Huntsville defense giving up 10 points per game.  What gives?
Lake Creek at Fulshear  -  Two teams hoping to finish in the top 4 and grab their first ever playoff game.  This game will be important for the pecking order.

There’s no doubt AMC and Huntsville are the beasts of this district.... and region. 

I’m wondering if Rudder is really as good as they appear... or the product of a soft schedule. 

Lake Creek and Fulshear definitely seem to be beneficiaries of an easy schedule. 

Im very interested in seeing how the district shakes out.  It’ll be tough come December. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

There’s no doubt AMC and Huntsville are the beasts of this district.... and region. 

I’m wondering if Rudder is really as good as they appear... or the product of a soft schedule. 

Lake Creek and Fulshear definitely seem to be beneficiaries of an easy schedule. 

Im very interested in seeing how the district shakes out.  It’ll be tough come December. 

Rudder I believe is for real this year. They have a high powered offense

On 10/17/2020 at 11:57 AM, Mavchamp said:

Week 5 Games:
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall
Lufkin Vs. Porter
Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches
Royse City Vs. Greenville
Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant
West Mesquite Vs. Longview
Tyler Vs. McKinney North
Wylie East Vs Sherman
Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville
Forney Vs. Corsicana
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs
Crandall Vs. North Forney
College Station Vs. New Caney
Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West
Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

Week 5 Games:
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall-I take Marshall in a shoot out
Lufkin Vs. Porter-Taking Porter after they stayed pretty close to New Caney And College St. Panthers are a mess!!
Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches-NAC!!!! Home Opener and Homecoming
Royse City Vs. Greenville-Toss Up Game-Greenville Close
Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High Big!!!
West Mesquite Vs. Longview-Longview Big!!!
Tyler Vs. McKinney North-Taking North
Wylie East Vs Sherman-Sherman
Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville-Hallsville-Going with home team
Forney Vs. Corsicana-Cana-Forney is bad!!!
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs-Ennis Big!!!
Crandall Vs. North Forney-North Forney Big-welcome to 5a Crandall
College Station Vs. New Caney-College St
Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West-Magnolia West
Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

Pine Tree Vs. Marshall-  I'm taking Marshall.  I think we've had a tougher schedule than PT.   I think we have a better defense than PT.  I think the first 3.5 quarters of last year's game was more indicative of the series than the last 6 mins that made a close game.   Unless they try onside kicks and fake punts all night trying to steal possessions, I think our offense will keep their offense sitting on the sidelines.  2020 Mav offense is better than 2019 offense. 

Lufkin Vs. Porter-  Going to take LP, but if they stumble this week.... the Panthers may be in for a long season.  This SHOULD start a nice little win streak for Lufkin.  But they still have some tough games on their schedule... including College Station, Waller, and maybe Caney Creek.  If they struggle this week..... or worse, if they lose.... where do they from there?  (0-3) is tough to overcome.

Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches- I REALLY WANT NAC TO WIN.  But I'm taking WH.  The Wildcats have had a more "normal" practice and weekly game schedule (in 2020 terms of normal) than NAC has.  WH seems to know who they are offensively and defensively.... I think Nac is still getting their ducks in a row.  All that, IMHO, lends itself to a comfy WH win.

Royse City Vs. Greenville- Greenville is MUCH improved.... but RC seems to be a few steps ahead of them.  I'm taking RC in a good game.

Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High should win this easily.  But this is a semi-rivalry game..... so there's always room for an upset.  But not this season.  Orange Tigers beat the Yellow Tigers by several scores.

West Mesquite Vs. Longview-Longview can name their score.

Tyler Vs. McKinney North- I'm taking JT.  But their defense better be ready.  While North's defense is weak..... their offense can make up for some of their defensive shortcomings.  If JT's offense comes out flat..... North could bury them quickly.   North has the better offense of the two IMHO.  JT has the better defense of the two.  Something will have to give.  

Wylie East Vs Sherman-Sherman..... because someone has to win.

Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville- This will be EACH team's best chance for a district win until one of them can show something different.  Jax has struggled offensively and defensively.  Hallsville has had their own struggles too.... but they have been much more competitive in their games.  Taking the Bobcats since they are playing at home. 

Forney Vs. Corsicana-  Corsicana gets back on the winning side of things.  Forney is brutal.

Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs- Ennis will run them out of the stadium.

Crandall Vs. North Forney-North Forney has really looked good...... Crandall.... not so much.

College Station Vs. New Caney-  College Station should win this easy.  BUT.... they cannot look past New Caney... they have a very good offense.  Questionable defense.... but their Offense can keep them in some games.

Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West- Magnolia West should win this.  They are flying high with their win over Lufkin last week.  A loss to CC would all but erase their feat from last week..... a win will keep them in the midst of the district championship.

Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High should win this easily.  But this is a semi-rivalry game..... so there's always room for an upset.  But not this season.  Orange Tigers beat the Yellow Tigers by several scores.

I've never quite figured out why people think this is a rivalry game.  Somebody from MP mentioned this a few years ago and honestly I had no idea they felt that way.  I don't know anybody here that thinks it is.   Other than Arkansas High nobody else has that feel.    And the Arkansas rivalry is only a shell of what it once was.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I've never quite figured out why people think this is a rivalry game.  Somebody from MP mentioned this a few years ago and honestly I had no idea they felt that way.  I don't know anybody here that thinks it is.   Other than Arkansas High nobody else has that feel.    And the Arkansas rivalry is only a shell of what it once was.

Seems like in the 90s when MP was Annually really good..... and THS was building a winner... I recall the early message boards (PigskinPrep, ETSupersite) lightning up between these two.  

I could totally be wrong.  Was always my perception.  At least until MP fell off the map. 

I agree with THSFanatic’s assessment of the non-rivalry between Texas High and Mt Pleasant. The only reason I can surmise is it’s the battle of the Tigers and they are our closest district opponent. I would submit the game Tiger fans look as their “District Rival” is Marshall.  I can only speak to the late 90s to current, but in most years their games have been the mostly competitive. In Texarkana travel speak, Marshall really isn’t much further than Mt Pleasant.

21 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Week 5 Games:
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall-I take Marshall in a shoot out
Lufkin Vs. Porter-Taking Porter after they stayed pretty close to New Caney And College St. Panthers are a mess!!
Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches-NAC!!!! Home Opener and Homecoming
Royse City Vs. Greenville-Toss Up Game-Greenville Close
Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High Big!!!
West Mesquite Vs. Longview-Longview Big!!!
Tyler Vs. McKinney North-Taking North
Wylie East Vs Sherman-Sherman
Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville-Hallsville-Going with home team
Forney Vs. Corsicana-Cana-Forney is bad!!!
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs-Ennis Big!!!
Crandall Vs. North Forney-North Forney Big-welcome to 5a Crandall
College Station Vs. New Caney-College St
Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West-Magnolia West
Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

I mean yeah. Porter stayed close to them, but magnolia beat college station and we dam near beat magnolia. So not sure all that logic matters. Matchups differ. I think we win this week by 2 scores. If it’s a game long struggle just to grind out a 3 point win, Lufkin might as well give up. I also think people are over hyping college station. Just a bit.