2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

People were asking for him to step down too. I’m sure lobo fans like 07 remember when the Lp forum had to be shutdown after that Klein forest lost in Huntsville in the first round. Wide had to be banned. The other losses, including his last game against Westfield.....people on there were basically saying the same thing. It’s time to retire or in the next few seasons. But we definitely weren’t giving up 70 points to anyone under coach Outlaw, especially to freakin Lee, legacy or whatever. I always felt confident going into a game with him as coach too. Things were different, but it was clearly time for him to step down too based on those early playoff losses. We made it out of the first round twice over his last six seasons. Definitely time for it....but I guess in certain places that’s considered a lot...

What was Lufkin football like before Outlaw ?

11 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

What was Lufkin football like before Outlaw ?

Better question, What was Lufkin coaching like before Outlaw? How many titles did Carthage have before Surratt came to town? A very good coach can change things significantly..

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, bordertown said:

I agree with THSFanatic’s assessment of the non-rivalry between Texas High and Mt Pleasant. The only reason I can surmise is it’s the battle of the Tigers and they are our closest district opponent. I would submit the game Tiger fans look as their “District Rival” is Marshall.  I can only speak to the late 90s to current, but in most years their games have been the mostly competitive. In Texarkana travel speak, Marshall really isn’t much further than Mt Pleasant.

This "rivalry" talk got started by kids in high school in the 2000s. They might think that because Texas High's only loss one year, i think 2003 or 2004 was MP. Mallett was the QB for the Orange Tigers. My little cousin went to MP and always said Texas High was their biggest rival. I would just laugh and say ok, sure it is. They also didnt believe Sulphur Springs and Paris was MP'S rivals. But growing up in the 90s, i never considered THigh a rival. Paris, SS, Daingerfield, and Pittsburg was our rivals. We hated them and they hated us.

I see both sides of this argument TBH.... while Marshall's playoff fortunes are much richer than Nac's (just in the last 15 years alone)...... it pales in comparison to Longview.  TBH... I don't know how it compares to Lufkin... but in fairness to LP, they have been in 6A while we've been 5A.

IIRC......without looking it up......Marshall is (10-11) in the playoffs since 2007.  That includes 4 region semifinals in 2007 (lost to McKinney Boyd) , 2009 (lost to Denison), 2015 (lost to Frisco Lone Star), and 2018 (Lost to Huntsville).   Those were incredibly exciting seasons.  Very proud of those years.

But.... first round losses include 2008 (lost to Kilgore by 7), 2010 (Lost to Sherman by 7), 2013 (lost big to Wylie), 2016 (lost to big Wylie East), 2017 (lost to Mesquite Poteet by 5), 2019 (lost to Huntsville by 14).... we were one and done.  

Lost in the second round in 2014 to Dallas South Oak Cliff.

Those seasons were tougher to digest...... 

BUT.....

We may have only missed the playoffs twice in last decade and a half.... but it was devastating.  100 year low.... 2011 and 2012.  Wouldn't wish it on ANY team.  It was terrible.  (3-17).  So yeah... when we crawled back into it in 2013..... even with an ugly record.... I was thrilled.

So yeah.... I see where Nac, Hallsville, and PT are coming from.  They want to build something.  They'd love to be where Marshall is.

Just as Marshall is building .... and would love where Longview is.

We're all in different places with our program.

So I get it.....

But yeah... I'm happy to be where we are....compared to where we could be (lesser).  But.... I'm hoping for where we WANT to be....  

8 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

This "rivalry" talk got started by kids in high school in the 2000s. They might think that because Texas High's only loss one year, i think 2003 or 2004 was MP. Mallett was the QB for the Orange Tigers. My little cousin went to MP and always said Texas High was their biggest rival. I would just laugh and say ok, sure it is. They also didnt believe Sulphur Springs and Paris was MP'S rivals. But growing up in the 90s, i never considered THigh a rival. Paris, SS, Daingerfield, and Pittsburg was our rivals. We hated them and they hated us.

Actually it was 2002 with the 1 loss and Chris Marshall was the QB.  I'm pretty sure Mallett was a freshman in 2003 and couldn't have been on that team. 

46 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Magnolia West won 97-0 tonight?! What on earth....

Caney Creek is baaaaadddddd...CC managed two 1st downs. One via penalty and one on the backups. 

Everyone got in for Mag West. Coaches didn't lay off with the 4th stringers in. 

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

Texas High 42 Mount Pleasant 24.  Texas High capitalized on two turnovers which  was the difference. MP played hard. McCumby (sp?) is a dangerous WR for MP.

Texas High is as good as advertised. The DE for them is amazingly good. Double teams couldnt stop him for most of the game.

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

Texas High 42 Mount Pleasant 24.  Texas High capitalized on two turnovers which  was the difference. MP played hard. McCumby (sp?) is a dangerous WR for MP.

Kinda agree and kinda don't  🤔 

I wasn't at the game but was listenting.  You are correct about the turnovers and the WR sounded impressive. They seemed to have a lot of speed.   The score seems a little misleading.  MP had a 55 yd opening kickoff return (3pts) and a 90 yd kickoff return for a TD (7pts). They also had a last second hail Mary into the endzone. It could have easily been 42-7. There was really only 1 good drive by MP.  
Texas High is still not connecting regularly on the passing game. The game just didn't have much flow to it at all. As usual I think MP's problem is sheer numbers. They just never have the depth.

14 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

Kinda agree and kinda don't  🤔 

I wasn't at the game but was listenting.  You are correct about the turnovers and the WR sounded impressive. They seemed to have a lot of speed.   The score seems a little misleading.  MP had a 55 yd opening kickoff return (3pts) and a 90 yd kickoff return for a TD (7pts). They also had a last second hail Mary into the endzone. It could have easily been 42-7. There was really only 1 good drive by MP.  
Texas High is still not connecting regularly on the passing game. The game just didn't have much flow to it at all. As usual I think MP's problem is sheer numbers. They just never have the depth.

Ok...but if you want to talk logistics, THigh had a pick 6 after an MP Defensive stop, A fumble recovery after an MP defensive stop, Another INT after an MP defensive stop, so MP pit THigh in great field position nimerous times throughout the game. MP didnt finish 2 drives inside THighs 20. I was there, MP played very hard, but THigh made them pay for their mistakes, good teams do that. There is a reason THigh is ranked #8. Congrats to them, but stop criticizing a team for playing hard and getting beat by a team everyone else has lost to this year as well. Didnt even see the game....

1 hour ago, TigerNahum17 said:

, but stop criticizing a team for playing hard and getting beat by a team everyone else has lost to this year as well. Didnt even see the game....

You should really reread my post.  It was an opinion not being critical. Everything doesn't have to be taken personally. Texas High had turnovers too.....I didn't add points for ours and say it should have been even worse.  If you think I have a habit of knocking other teams you obviously have me confused with somebody else. I've never had any problem with Mt Pleasant. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

Mission?

Pioneer Mission.  Went 11-2 last season.   They are a distant top team compared to AMC, Huntsville, and FB Marshall.  That’s the three-headed beast