2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

54 minutes ago, Aledo said:

You dont want to include Tex high?

No one in 9-5A is worthy yet imho.  

None of us have the recent playoff success of Huntsville, FBM, and AMC.  

Texas High has one playoff win in a decade.  PT hasn’t won a playoff game since Reagan was in office.  WH has only been past the 2nd round once...ever.  And Marshall just laid an egg Vs PT.  

Hard to consider any of us serious contenders when you have  the likes of the above listed.  Then you have Aledo and Ennis on the other side of the bracket.  

15 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

You should really reread my post.  It was an opinion not being critical. Everything doesn't have to be taken personally. Texas High had turnovers too.....I didn't add points for ours and say it should have been even worse.  If you think I have a habit of knocking other teams you obviously have me confused with somebody else. I've never had any problem with Mt Pleasant. 

I read it, disregarded it, and vented. I read it again,  and having read your posts in the past, know you were not being critical. Sorry for being a jerk. You didnt deserve that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TigerNahum17 said:

I read it, disregarded it, and vented. I read it again,  and having read your posts in the past, know you were not being critical. Sorry for being a jerk. You didnt deserve that.

Its all good man. If it came across as disrespectful I apologize.   Sure wasn't meant to be.   Good luck the rest of the season !

• Like 1

District 10-5A II  Update – District play begins

This weeks scores:

A&M Consolidated  56   Lamar Consolidated  0

Huntsville  36   Bryan Rudder  17

Lake Creek  39   Fulshear  7  

Current Rankings

1.  A&M Consolidated   5-0

2.  Huntsville       4-0

3.  Bryan Rudder  4-1

4.  Lake Creek   4-1 

5.  Montgomery  2-2

6.  Fulshear  4-1

7.  Lamar Consolidated  0-5

Big Games Next week:

A&M Consolidated at Huntsville  -  This should be for the district championship.  The teams have split the last 2 years.  I don’t think the outcome is that important as both teams can make deep playoff runs.

Bryan Rudder @ Lake Creek – Both teams with an excellent chance of making their first playoff appearance.  The winner here will have the inside track for the #3 seed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

I see both paths as the same in a wide open region.  Huntsville was a 4 seed last year and went further than the 1 seed.  

You can take Fulshear off.  They aren’t making it.  

Huntsville should have been the district champion.  As soon as they got their QB back.... the losses stopped.  They would have buzzed through with Southern under center.  They were a different team... as we saw when the playoffs started. 

But no doubt Huntsville and AMC are the class of the district.  We’ve seen some of their 8-2 teams go down hard in the first round (Lamar Consolidated in 2018 To Marshall, Paetow in 2019 To Whitehouse). 

Week 5 Recap:
Pine Tree  beat  Marshall 24-7
Lufkin beat Porter 38-23
Whitehouse beat Nacogdoches 35-17
Royse City Vs. Greenville- PPD
Texas High beat Mount Pleasant 42-24
Longview beat West Mesquite 49-24
McKinney North beat Tyler 34-24
Sherman beat Wylie East 45-7
Jacksonville beat Hallsville 59-44
Corsicana beat Forney 20-10
Ennis beat Mansfield Summit 63-26
Crandall Vs. North Forney- PPD
College Station beat New Caney 49-7
Magnolia West beat Caney Creek 97-0
Magnolia beat CLeveland 65-12
Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF

---------------

District 8-5A DIV II
North Forney (4-0) (1-0)
Royse City (2-1) (1-0)
Corsicana (2-3) (1-1)
Ennis (3-0) (0-0)
Greenville (2-1) (0-0)
Crandall (2-1) (0-0)
Sulphur Springs (0-2) (0-0)
Forney (0-5) (0-2)

The District Executive Committee has announced that 8-5A will move to ZONE play in order to complete a schedule due to a flurry of COVID postponements.  Still shaping up to be a fun race as Ennis has clearly exerted themselves as a state title contender.  Royse City and Corsicana are still lurking, as is Greenville.... but North Forney is ready to show they are a factor in the race too.

District 9-5A DIV II
Texas High (4-0) (1-0)
Whitehouse (4-0) (1-0)
Pine Tree (3-0-1) (1-0)
Jacksonville (1-3) (1-0)
Marshall (2-2) (0-1)
Mount Pleasant (2-2) (0-1)
Nacogdoches (1-2) (0-1)
Hallsville (0-3) (0-1)

The district title race could be a doozy as the top three teams are a combined (11-0-1) and all three came off of impressive wins.  All three will be favorites this week, which will make the next couple of weeks super exciting.  Marshall needs a win to bounce back.  Nac needs a win if they want to stay in the playoff conversation.  Jacksonville's 59 points should turn some heads.  Hallsville's woes continue.  

District 7-5A DIV I
Highland Park (2-0) (0-0)
Longview (4-1) (1-0)
Sherman (2-4) (1-0)
McKinney North (1-3) (1-0)
Wylie East (1-2) (0-1)
Tyler (0-4) (0-1)
West Mesquite (0-5) (0-1)

Highland Park and Longview at the top of the standings.... no shocker there.  But that match-up is still 2 weeks away.  Sherman got a big win to put themselves in the thick of things.... while McKinney North got a huge win over Tyler to get their first W of the season.  Tyler and West Mesquite are both winless... but that will change this Friday as they face off in a must-win for both.

District 8-5A DIV I
Magnolia (4-1) (3-0)
Magnolia West (4-1) (2-0)
Waller (2-2) (2-0)
College Station (5-1) (2-1)
New Caney (2-2) (1-1)
Lufkin (2-3) (1-2)
Cleveland (1-3) (0-2)
Caney Creek (0-4) (0-2)
Porter (2-3) (0-3)

Magnolia and Magnolia West are setting a up a collision course for a monster battle.... but Waller is lurking right there with them.  However, the elephant in the room is College Station sitting in fourth place with a (5-1) record..... knowing that's not going to stick.  Lufkin got a must-win game over Porter and will have another this week Vs. Caney Creek.  They have a monster battle coming up Vs  College Station... not to mention Waller.  This could be a fun race.

------------------

Week 6 Games:
New Caney Vs. Lufkin
Magnolia West Vs. Waller
Magnolia Vs. Caney Creek
Porter Vs. Cleveland
College Station- OFF

The Magnolia schools will be favorites in their games, which barring an upset, will keep them atop the district. Waller Vs. MW is the game of the week in the district.  Lufkin looking to continue their climb back into the race with a big home game Vs. NC.  College Station is off.

---

North Forney Vs. Ennis
Greenville vs. Corsicana
Sulphur Springs Vs Royse City
Forney Vs. Crandall

A monster game this week between Ennis and North Forney.... it's the game of the week.  Greenville and Corsicana should be a good one.  Crandall looking to stay in the race, while Sulphur Springs is looking for their first win of the season after a LONG break off from COVID.  The Wildcats have not played a game since October 2nd.

---

Hallsville Vs Texas High
Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree
Marshall Vs. Jacksonville
Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse

The three undefeated teams in the district will be favorites in their games as Texas High take on Hallsville and WH hosts Mount Pleasant.  Marshall will be a favorite in Jacksonville as they look to even their district record.  Perhaps the most important game of the night is PT Vs. Nac.  A PT win will keep the Pirates in the logjam at the top.  A Nac loss will put the Dragons behind the eightball for the playoffs with Marshall and Texas High remaining on their schedule.  

---

Longview Vs. Wylie East
McKinney North Vs. West Mesquite
Sherman Vs. Highland Park
Tyler- OFF

All three games this week are shaping up to be the blowout variety.  Highland Park will likely make easy work of Sherman, as will Longview of Wylie East.   The closest game may be McK North vs. West Mesquite.  However... MC's offense looks like it may be too much for WM to overcome.  Tyler will take the week off as they are still looking for their first win of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aledo said:

Huntsville was unique because they got the 4th place spot without their QB but he came back for the playoffs. 

Yea, I’m just saying that I don’t think AMC or Huntsville is going to fear anybody in the Region.  They both know they are capable of winning it no matter what the seeds are.  Big bad FB Marshall isn’t as scary this year and if you get the 2 seed, it doesn’t matter come playoff time. 

Huntsville got the 4 seed due to a pretty dumb tiebreaker rule that I had never heard of.  It didn’t matter anyway, except to Marshall.  

11 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

Huntsville got the 4 seed due to a pretty dumb tiebreaker rule that I had never heard of.  It didn’t matter anyway, except to Marshall.  

You're absolutely right.

Marshall SHOULD have played Katy Paetow last year in the first round of the playoffs.  Whitehouse cleaned their clock (35-10)..... after we had cleaned WH's clock.

Instead we got a top 10 team in the first round with their QB back at the helm.

No excuses though.  We were terrible that night Vs. Huntsville.

But I have no doubt we would have beaten Paetow.  Even if we would have likely lost the next week.