2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

2 hours ago, bordertown said:

Mavchamp .. it goes without saying, we appreciate the effort you put in to make this an informative thread.

Thank you!  
I enjoy it!  
Hope everyone else does 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Look man, it’s a lot of losing I know. I’m sorry. 😂

We just lost to Pine Tree.  I can’t talk. 

It was time for one of their generational teams.  Lucky us. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Great stuff, Mav! Amazing year 2004.

Hey Matt, I've been following some middle school football this yr because of family. Why hasn't Jacksonville 8th grade team played this yr? Well they didn't play a couple weeks ago against Boulter.

Great work Mavchamp, but a couple of the 8-5A-2 games have been shuffled around. The changed games are now North Forney at Sulphur Springs, and Royse City at Ennis.  The other two games (Greenville at Corsicana, and Forney at Crandall) are unaffected.

23 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Hey Matt, I've been following some middle school football this yr because of family. Why hasn't Jacksonville 8th grade team played this yr? Well they didn't play a couple weeks ago against Boulter.

Hey, we got quarantined. First games are tonight. 

• Like 1

I've tried to keep my mouth shut but really can't....what in the world happened to Marshall???  Please don't beat me up because I am a Longview homer but man, I know Pine Tree is improved but Marshall is a MUCH better team than what showed up at that game...overconfidence, maybe????

14 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I've tried to keep my mouth shut but really can't....what in the world happened to Marshall???  Please don't beat me up because I am a Longview homer but man, I know Pine Tree is improved but Marshall is a MUCH better team than what showed up at that game...overconfidence, maybe????

Pine Tree needs the credit for punching Marshall in the mouth, no matter what we think Marshall should be. Pine Tree has been improving for the last 5 years and is full of seniors. Probably the best PT team in the last 20 years, couple that with Marshall not being the Marshall form the last 5 years. 

A mix of Pine Tree having a once in a 20 year team and Marshall losing tons of talent from graduation over the past few years. I don't remember the last time we've had 6 or so former players playing D1 football at the same time. 

Marshalls offense didn't show up and PT was playing like it was their super bowl. I'm surprised we held that offense to only 24 points as bad as the offense played.

I think we will see a more motivated and physical team the rest of the season. We all need a good punch in the mouth from time to time. We werent even practicing with pads until after the PT loss. 

4 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Pine Tree needs the credit for punching Marshall in the mouth, no matter what we think Marshall should be. Pine Tree has been improving for the last 5 years and is full of seniors. Probably the best PT team in the last 20 years, couple that with Marshall not being the Marshall form the last 5 years. 

This could be the best PT team in the last 40 years but was really surprised by the 7 point total from Marshall...I am sure they rebound and fix those mistakes but was very surprised.  

25 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

This could be the best PT team in the last 40 years but was really surprised by the 7 point total from Marshall...I am sure they rebound and fix those mistakes but was very surprised.  

Remember seeing PT's SR group as freshmen vs Longview back in 2017....scrimmage.

Longview's freshmen dominated but you could tell PT was on to something. DJ Freeeman was a talent at QB I'd never seen take snaps for a PT team. 

Come to think about it...I actually witnessed PTMS beat crosstown Judson MS the year before when they were in 8th. This was a Judson team that had the likes of Meredith/CJ Hopkins.

Literally the only reason Freeman isnt getting the looks he deserves is because he isnt 6'0. But I'm not sure that there's currently a QB in ETX better than him. 

41 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Complete hear say, I wasn't at the game, but I have spoke to those that went and the 24-7 was closer than the game actually was. The PT defense was a big surprise to most.

• Like 1

North Forney Vs. Ennis-Ennis in a close one
Greenville vs. Corsicana-Greenville
Sulphur Springs Vs Royse City-Royse City
Forney Vs. Crandall-Crandall

Hallsville Vs Texas High-Texas High
Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree-Nac-cant pick against my team!!
Marshall Vs. Jacksonville-Marshall
Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse-MP

Longview Vs. Wylie East-Longview
McKinney North Vs. West Mesquite-North
Sherman Vs. Highland Park-HP

New Caney Vs. Lufkin-Toss up??
Magnolia West Vs. Waller-MW
Magnolia Vs. Caney Creek-Magnolia
Porter Vs. Cleveland-Porter

PT deserves all the credit they get from the game. They beat our tails. 

Did we blow some chances?  Absolutely.  

We allowed 2 turnovers to cost us 14 points.   The bad punt snap gifted PT a touchdown.  Just those 3 poor plays cost us 14 points and handed them 7.   That would made the game 21-17 Marshall.   Woulda been a great game story.  But not reality of what really happened. 

But TBH..... the game wasn’t defined about how great PTs offense was.  Holding them to just 24 points is usually good news for opponents.  

The real difference maker was a combination of PT’s defense getting after it and Marshall’s complete malaise or confusion on offense.   Guess we thought they were going to roll over.  Maybe we WERE confused.  Maybe lazy. Maybe undisciplined.  PT had none of those problems. 

I could have stomached the loss if it had been an inspired game.  A hard fought game lost to a better team.  But what we got was an uninspired butt whipping. 

I expect a new attitude this week. 

14 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

North Forney Vs. Ennis-Ennis in a close one
Greenville vs. Corsicana-Greenville
Sulphur Springs Vs Royse City-Royse City
Forney Vs. Crandall-Crandall

Hallsville Vs Texas High-Texas High
Nacogdoches Vs. Pine Tree-Nac-cant pick against my team!!
Marshall Vs. Jacksonville-Marshall
Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse-MP

Longview Vs. Wylie East-Longview
McKinney North Vs. West Mesquite-North
Sherman Vs. Highland Park-HP

New Caney Vs. Lufkin-Toss up??

North Forney at Ennis - Ennis pulls away in the fourth
Greenville at Corsicana - Corsicana in a close one
Sulphur Springs at Royse City - Royse City blow out
Forney at Crandall - Crandall blow out

Hallsville at Texas High - Texas High blow out
Nacogdoches at Pine Tree - Pine Tree pulls away in the second half
Marshall at Jacksonville - Marshall blow out
Mount Pleasant at Whitehouse - Hoping for Mount Pleasant, but Whitehouse escapes

Longview at Wylie East - Longview, big.
McKinney North at West Mesquite - Most interesting game in the district this week, going with West by 1
Sherman at Highland Park - Highland Park blow out

New Caney at Lufkin - Lufkin by a score
Magnolia West at Waller - Magnolia West in a closer than expected game
Magnolia at Conroe Caney Creek - Magnolia big
Porter at Cleveland - Porter

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

PT deserves all the credit they get from the game. They beat our tails. 

Did we blow some chances?  Absolutely.  

We allowed 2 turnovers to cost us 14 points.   The bad punt snap gifted PT a touchdown.  Just those 3 poor plays cost us 14 points and handed them 7.   That would made the game 21-17 Marshall.   Woulda been a great game story.  But not reality of what really happened. 

But TBH..... the game wasn’t defined about how great PTs offense was.  Holding them to just 24 points is usually good news for opponents.  

The real difference maker was a combination of PT’s defense getting after it and Marshall’s complete malaise or confusion on offense.   Guess we thought they were going to roll over.  Maybe we WERE confused.  Maybe lazy. Maybe undisciplined.  PT had none of those problems. 

I could have stomached the loss if it had been an inspired game.  A hard fought game lost to a better team.  But what we got was an uninspired butt whipping. 

I expect a new attitude this week. 

I know the programs are in different places, but I feel the same way with Nac. If we were losing games playing our best and just getting beat I wouldn't have any problems. The fact that we find new ways to lose games each week is the hardest part. That why I am not ready to give in and stop believing we still have it in us to become a consistent winning program. We have the talent and have for a while, I still believe in the coaching staff, now we just have to do it. 

North Forney at Ennis - Ennis wins easy.  NF is good...but they are not Ennis' level yet.
Greenville at Corsicana - Honestly I think this could go either way. Going with Corsicana on history alone.
Sulphur Springs at Royse City - Still hard to fathom how far SS has fallen off.  RC in blowout fashion.
Forney at Crandall - Crandall by a lot.

Hallsville at Texas High - Hallsville let their best chance at a win slip by last week.  This gets UGLY .
Nacogdoches at Pine Tree - Selfishly pulling for Nac.  But I think PT wins this pretty easily.  DJ goes BEASTMODE.
Marshall at Jacksonville - Marshall by a lot.   If not.....  things could get antsy in M-town.
Mount Pleasant at Whitehouse - Sadly I think WH wins comfortably.  But I'm sure pulling for the Tigers.

Longview at Wylie East - Longview by as many as they want.
McKinney North at West Mesquite - Interesting game.  Taking North in a close one.
Sherman at Highland Park - Highland Park will run them out of the city.

New Caney at Lufkin - Picking Lufkin.  But wouldn't be shocked to see NC get the win.
Magnolia West at Waller - Magnolia West comfortably.  
Magnolia at Conroe Caney Creek - Magnolia gonna run wild.
Porter at Cleveland - Someone has to win.  Going with Porter.

3 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

Cleveland by a score?  Someone has to win?  Folks, this is a no contest. Porter by 30+

Usually don't keep up, but with New Caney and Lufkin in the district, ive been score watching. Id say Porter is a big favorite as well. Cleveland seems down right terrible and Porter is an above average team based on inconsistencies from week to week. 

New Caney Vs. Lufkin-Lufkin

Feel for the Porter kids. Started the year with two good wins over Montgomery and Lake Creek. Then the New Caney game happened. Six turnovers will kill any hope of winning, but to turn it over 6 times and lose by two is brutal. Things have unraveled since. Played CS close (24-14). Berry returns for Lufkin and helps the Pack pull away late in a game the Spartans were pretty competitive in for the first 3 quarters. 

Porter will bounce back big. Cleveland is not good yet. Fiacco will get them there, but they have a ways to go. 

This district is a different beast than they are used to. MUCH more competitive and not much wiggle room for a bad game.

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Remember seeing PT's SR group as freshmen vs Longview back in 2017....scrimmage.

Longview's freshmen dominated but you could tell PT was on to something. DJ Freeeman was a talent at QB I'd never seen take snaps for a PT team. 

Come to think about it...I actually witnessed PTMS beat crosstown Judson MS the year before when they were in 8th. This was a Judson team that had the likes of Meredith/CJ Hopkins.

Literally the only reason Freeman isnt getting the looks he deserves is because he isnt 6'0. But I'm not sure that there's currently a QB in ETX better than him. 

thats high praise coming from you...I haven't watched him play but may have to catch one if they are still undefeated going into the WH or TH game.