2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Not going to pick scores for other districts teams that I don't follow.  Some though will be big winners this week like Highland Park, Longview , Crandall, Pine Tree and Ennis. 

District 8-5A DI could be an interesting and competitive race down the stretch. This is probably not the week.

New Caney Vs. Lufkin-  Lufkin  - Both need the win to keep playoff hopes alive.  I was surprised by NC losing at home to CS 49-7.  Lufkin is playing better after getting most of their injured folks back. This could be a very good game, Lufkin wins by a couple of scores. 

Magnolia West Vs. Waller-  Toss UP? - Everyone will pick MW by 30.  The intriguing game of the week in 8-5A. How good is MW, and is Waller as good as their record. Game is at Waller too. MW beat a Lufkin team with 11 players out, but I didn't think WOW watching MW play either.  They are not as good as they were two years ago, but neither is Lufkin. Waller is better than last year.

Magnolia Vs. Caney Creek-  Magnolia by as many points as they want to win it.  Magnolia is a better team than MW, let's hope we don't see another 97-0 score.

Porter Vs. Cleveland-   Porter  by 40 if they want.  Porter is a decent team.  They would beat Nacogdoches and probably give Marshall a run for their money too.  Lufkin had everyone back for the first time since Tyler Legacy game last week in their 38-23 win over Porter.  It was a Lufkin 12-0 Fourth quarter that was the difference. Cleveland is a long way from being just average.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not going to pick scores for other districts teams that I don't follow.  Some though will be big winners this week like Highland Park, Longview , Crandall, Pine Tree and Ennis. 

District 8-5A DI could be an interesting and competitive race down the stretch. This is probably not the week.

New Caney Vs. Lufkin-  Lufkin  - Both need the win to keep playoff hopes alive.  I was surprised by NC losing at home to CS 49-7.  Lufkin is playing better after getting most of their injured folks back. This could be a very good game, Lufkin wins by a couple of scores. 

Magnolia West Vs. Waller-  Toss UP? - Everyone will pick MW by 30.  The intriguing game of the week in 8-5A. How good is MW, and is Waller as good as their record. Game is at Waller too. MW beat a Lufkin team with 11 players out, but I didn't think WOW watching MW play either.  They are not as good as they were two years ago, but neither is Lufkin. Waller is better than last year.

Magnolia Vs. Caney Creek-  Magnolia by as many points as they want to win it.  Magnolia is a better team than MW, let's hope we don't see another 97-0 score.

Porter Vs. Cleveland-   Porter  by 40 if they want.  Porter is a decent team.  They would beat Nacogdoches and probably give Marshall a run for their money too.  Lufkin had everyone back for the first time since Tyler Legacy game last week in their 38-23 win over Porter.  It was a Lufkin 12-0 Fourth quarter that was the difference. Cleveland is a long way from being just average.

I am really glad to see Lufkin getting healthy.  I really hope Lufkin can at least get to 3rd in district.  A first round game against HP would not bode well for the Panthers.

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I am really glad to see Lufkin getting healthy.  I really hope Lufkin can at least get to 3rd in district.  A first round game against HP would not bode well for the Panthers.

No guarantees getting healthy will make our two district losses any better.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:22 PM, Nacwagons said:

Complete hear say, I wasn't at the game, but I have spoke to those that went and the 24-7 was closer than the game actually was. The PT defense was a big surprise to most.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then.

While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically. 

Marshall never took a snap in the Red Zone...not a single offensive snap inside PT's 20 yardline. They scored on their 2nd offensive play on a 44 yd pass then fumbled at the end of a potential scoring play that PT stripped near the goal line in the 4th quarter. That's it as the Pirate defense really shut down the Mavericks. 

PT rolled up 360 yds vs. Marshall's 175 yards of offense. Marshall went 2-11 on 3rd down and PT had a nearly 2-1 advantage in TOP.

Give credit where it's due. Because it was every bit of a 3 score defeat.

RJ

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically. 

Marshall never took a snap in the Red Zone...not a single offensive snap inside PT's 20 yardline. They scored on their 2nd offensive play on a 44 yd pass then fumbled at the end of a potential scoring play that PT stripped near the goal line in the 4th quarter. That's it as the Pirate defense really shut down the Mavericks. 

PT rolled up 360 yds vs. Marshall's 175 yards of offense. Marshall went 2-11 on 3rd down and PT had a nearly 2-1 advantage in TOP.

RJ

I took his post to mean that the game wasn't as close as the score indicates. Meaning it could have been worse. 

While I agree with that, It also was a few mistakes away from being waay closer. As long as PTs big play offense was on the field, Im very surprised PT didn't score into the 40 point range. 

The things Marshall did that helped lead to the 7 points are very fixable. While that particular game could have been way worse(based on how each team played that night) , it also could have been one of those 3 point games that seemed like it could have been a 4 score stomping. There were about 4 offensive plays(for Marshall) that were big scoring opportunities. As bad as the stats were, that's 28 points from explosive plays that were missed due to failed execution or unnecessary penalties on Marshalls part. 

PT definitely outplayed Marshall the entire game, but I really think Marshall is much better than they showed. We will see how they respond against a tougher defense (Texas High). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

RJ

I was giving credit and saying it wasn't as close as the score indicated. Outside of the one big play by Marshall, PT locked them down. Score could have been much worse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mav01 said:

I took his post to mean that the game wasn't as close as the score indicates. Meaning it could have been worse. 

While I agree with that, It also was a few mistakes away from being waay closer. As long as PTs big play offense was on the field, Im very surprised PT didn't score into the 40 point range. 

The things Marshall did that helped lead to the 7 points are very fixable. While that particular game could have been way worse(based on how each team played that night) , it also could have been one of those 3 point games that seemed like it could have been a 4 score stomping. There were about 4 offensive plays(for Marshall) that were big scoring opportunities. As bad as the stats were, that's 28 points from explosive plays that were missed due to failed execution or unnecessary penalties on Marshalls part. 

PT definitely outplayed Marshall the entire game, but I really think Marshall is much better than they showed. We will see how they respond against a tougher defense (Texas High). 

I think this is why the result of the game was PT on top, PT having big plays means that defense is on the field more...PT didn't want to get into a shoot out scoring 40 points and see which defense could make the big play in the fourth quarter, they have tried that the last three years and it does not work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonLigma said:

the top 3 teams should win this week. leaving the next two weeks very interesting. Thigh vs Marshall  next week and then pine tree vs thigh the following week. not sure how good Texas high is. teams they have faced are down this year

They're as good as advertised...They have a DE I think that is a favorite for Defensive MVP of the District and more.

1 minute ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

They're as good as advertised...They have a DE I think that is a favorite for Defensive MVP of the District and more.

He is a stud but I am anxious to see how they play against a team that can match up with them 

1 minute ago, RonLigma said:

He is a stud but I am anxious to see how they play against a team that can match up with them 

That might have to be something you see in December 😂 not sure a team in this district can match up...i agree though if it is gonna happen it will happen when they play Marshall or PT. 

PT played Marshall like it was the State game and from what I've read the Mavericks thought the PT that most everyone in East Texas Schedules on Home Coming week was gonna show up...I think Marshall is better than they looked and may have tried some things against a team they thought they could experiment against and it backfired, but I also think that everyone should see that this isn't the same PT anymore, and its not a once in a generation team. Maybe the culture that Coach Lane has been trying to bring over from his Buckeyes days has finally taken root in PT. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

That might have to be something you see in December 😂 not sure a team in this district can match up...i agree though if it is gonna happen it will happen when they play Marshall or PT. 

PT played Marshall like it was the State game and from what I've read the Mavericks thought the PT that most everyone in East Texas Schedules on Home Coming week was gonna show up...I think Marshall is better than they looked and may have tried some things against a team they thought they could experiment against and it backfired, but I also think that everyone should see that this isn't the same PT anymore, and its not a once in a generation team. Maybe the culture that Coach Lane has been trying to bring over from his Buckeyes days has finally taken root in PT. 

I’m reserving declaring PT a district power until I see how they perform without DJ Freeman next season and seasons going forward  

If they can win without him..... declare PT an annual district contender.   If they fall off a cliff without him..... status quo, really. 

But without a doubt.... the 2020 Pirates seem legit.   They have a fantastic team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m reserving declaring PT a district power until I see how they perform without DJ Freeman next season and seasons going forward  

If they can win without him..... declare PT an annual district contender.   If they fall off a cliff without him..... status quo, really. 

But without a doubt.... the 2020 Pirates seem legit.   They have a fantastic team. 

I agree and they will not be able to replace him next year, I will also agree if you want to say HE is the "once in a generation" player at PT, last one was probably a Super Bowl Champion named Chris Johnson who I think graduated in 1999. But everyone who has followed East Texas Football the last 20 years knows that PT gets scheduled for most every school's homecoming/senior night game and I don't think that is the case anymore and I don't think it will be that way once Dj is gone. There's a difference in building a program and building a team that can compete for a few years and it looks like Coach Lane has done that.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

I agree and they will not be able to replace him next year, I will also agree if you want to say HE is the "once in a generation" player at PT, last one was probably a Super Bowl Champion named Chris Johnson who I think graduated in 1999. But everyone who has followed East Texas Football the last 20 years knows that PT gets scheduled for most every school's homecoming/senior night game and I don't think that is the case anymore and I don't think it will be that way once Dj is gone. There's a difference in building a program and building a team that can compete for a few years and it looks like Coach Lane has done that.    

They do not have a QB on JV that will replace him, now I think they have a Wideout that played QB last year on JV that was pretty good. I have no idea what's on their freshman team. JV QB threw 5 passes last night with 4 Picks and an incompletion. 

On 10/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, mav01 said:

A mix of Pine Tree having a once in a 20 year team and Marshall losing tons of talent from graduation over the past few years. I don't remember the last time we've had 6 or so former players playing D1 football at the same time. 

Marshalls offense didn't show up and PT was playing like it was their super bowl. I'm surprised we held that offense to only 24 points as bad as the offense played.

I think we will see a more motivated and physical team the rest of the season. We all need a good punch in the mouth from time to time. We werent even practicing with pads until after the PT loss. 

This is really PT’s best team (potentially) in over 40 years. 1976 team went 2 deep back when 14 games won state for you. I don’t know if they have ever been 2-deep before. We were ranked #4 that year (I was a junior) and PT was #6 when we beat them 22-21 on a last second 18 yd field goal by QB Mark Beall (of the Beall’s department store family). Largest crowd ever at Tomato Bowl. Little help here from PT fans if they’ve been deeper in playoffs that what I cited. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

They do not have a QB on JV that will replace him, now I think they have a Wideout that played QB last year on JV that was pretty good. I have no idea what's on their freshman team. JV QB threw 5 passes last night with 4 Picks and an incompletion. 

If i had to guess who the starter will be next year at QB, its gotta be the backup to Dj this year, he is only a Junior and will probably see the 1st string Qb reps in Spring.

Dont get me wrong on this part, DJ is a great Qb and has done alot for that program, but lets not forget he had a couple REALLY good receivers his Sophmore & Junior years with Sparkman and Adams both are playing college ball now at Texas Tech and I believe A&M Commerce so I cant say a successor Qb will need to throw like Dj because as most of us that have seen him play know, its not the throwing that keeps Defensive Coordinators worried.

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is really PT’s best team (potentially) in over 40 years. 1976 team went 2 deep back when 14 games won state for you. I don’t know if they have ever been 2-deep before. We were ranked #4 that year (I was a junior) and PT was #6 when we beat them 22-21 on a last second 18 yd field goal by QB Mark Beall (of the Beall’s department store family). Largest crowd ever at Tomato Bowl. Little help here from PT fans if they’ve been deeper in playoffs that what I cited. 

I may be wrong but i think they went 2 games deep in 1999 and lost, again not 100% sure on that.

Nice information though I know the 2000's were not a good time for PT to play at the Tomato Bowl 😂 #McCowns 

• Like 1

LOL! Yeah, and the next gen MCCowns are here. Randy’s son Ryan is our JV QB and he threw for 348 and 4 TDs last night in a 45-38 loss to Marshall. He also had 3 TDs dropped. There are 5 more MCCowns coming after him. 

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

LOL! Yeah, and the next gen MCCowns are here. Randy’s son Ryan is our JV QB and he threw for 348 and 4 TDs last night in a 45-38 loss to Marshall. He also had 3 TDs dropped. There are 5 more MCCowns coming after him. 

Human Cheat Code Numbers!! That's awesome for Jacksonville, I'm sure their name will get them some looks and hopefully their play will get them a chance at the next level. 

• Like 1

Lufkin wins one heck of a Pillow fight in Overtime over New Caney. 13-7. 

We lost Caleb Berry for the season it looks like early 2nd qtr or late 1st. Can’t remember. Last I heard he was at hospital for X-rays on his ankle. 

Offense was atrocious without him and had 4 turnovers. Defense saved the day. But doesn’t appear to matter moving forward. Lufkin is going nowhere fast.