2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

9-5A going 1-3 is the first round is a very real possibility. 

Texas High is the lone possibility of a win it seems.  And I don’t think they coast. 

PT, WH, and Marshall/Nac are all underdogs in their matchups. 

JMHO. 

have to disagree, don’t think district 10 is as strong as years past

23 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

The Lobos host Tyler Legacy tomorrow at Lobo Coliseum. Longview has won the last 8 meetings against the Red Raiders.

Lobos blow a 14-point second half lead to fall to the Red Raiders, 59-56. Lobos drop to 2-2. Frustrating late 3rd/4th quarter.

Legacy improves to 4-0.

Week 10 Recap:
Pine Tree beat Mount Pleasant 45-23
Whitehouse beat Jacksonville 42-14
Texas High beat Nacogdoches
Marshall beat Hallsville 2-0 COVID FORFEIT
Highland Park beat West Mesquite 49-14
Sherman beat Tyler 30-9
Longview beat McKinney North 55-10
Lufkin beat Caney Creek 58-0
New Caney beat Magnolia West 55-48
Magnolia beat Porter 41-6
College Station beat Waller 61-21
Cleveland- OFF
Wylie East- OFF

---------------

District 8-5A DIV II

ZONE A
Ennis (4-0)(7-0)
Royse City (3-1) (5-2)
Crandall (1-3) (4-4)
Forney (0-4) (0-10)

ZONE B
North Forney (3-1) (7-1)
Greenville (2-2) (4-3)
Sulphur Springs (2-2) (2-4)
Corsicana (1-3) (3-6)

The district was idle this week. 

8-5A FINAL STANDINGS 
Ennis
North Forney
Royse City
Greenville
Sulphur Springs
Crandall
Corsicana
Forney

District 9-5A DIV II
Texas High (9-0) (6-0)
Pine Tree (7-1-1) (5-1)
Whitehouse (8-1) (5-1)
Marshall (5-4) (3-3)
Nacogdoches (4-4) (3-3)
Mount Pleasant (3-6) (1-5)
Jacksonville (1-8) (1-5)
Hallsville (0-8) (0-6)

Texas High clinched no less than a tie for the district title with their win over Nacogdoches.  Pine Tree earned their first 7-win season since 1983 and is on the cusp of hosting a playoff game with a win over Hallsville next week.  Marshall and Nac are tied for the fourth and final playoff spot.  The showdown is set.  

District 7-5A DIV I
Highland Park (7-0) (5-0)
Longview (6-2) (3-1)
Sherman (4-5) (3-1)
McKinney North (3-6) (3-3)
Tyler (2-6) (2-3)
West Mesquite (1-8) (1-4)
Wylie East (1-7) (0-6)

Highland Park remains at the top of the district with Longview and Sherman knotted up in second place.  McNorth has contro of the final playoff slot. 

District 8-5A DIV I
Magnolia (8-1) (7-0)
College Station (8-1) (6-1)
New Caney (5-4) (4-3)
Lufkin (5-4) (4-3)
Magnolia West (5-4) (4-3)
Porter (6-4) (4-4)
Waller (3-6) (3-4)
Cleveland (1-8) (0-7)
Caney Creek (0-9) (0-7)

Magnolia remains on top of the district with College Station in line to host a playoff game.  A three way tie for third exists between Lufkin, Mag West and New Caney.... making the final week very interesting.  

------------------

Week 11 Games:

8-5A- DIV I
Magnolia West Vs College Station
Waller Vs Lufkin
Magnolia Vs New Caney
Caney Creek Vs Cleveland
Porter- OFF

Barring upsets by New Caney or Mag West.... Lufkin will clinch a playoff spot with a win over Waller.  Earning them the right to travel to Longview for a first round game Vs the Lobos.  

Unless Waller upsets LP, New Caney should settle into the #4 spot to take on Highland Park.

There are numerous scenarios that are UNLIKELY to happen.... 

Looks like Magnolia will host McKinney North and College Station will host Sherman.  

---

8-5A DIV II
Greenville Vs Ennis
North Forney Vs Royse City 
Sulphur Springs Vs Forney
Corsicana Vs Crandall

Meaningless cross-over games.  The playoff teams are set. 

Ennis, North Forney, Royse City, and Greenville. 

Ennis will likely host Frisco Liberty. North Forney will likely host Denison

Royse City will travel to Frisco and Greenville will go to Lovejoy. 

---

9-5A DIV II
Nacogdoches Vs Marshall
Whitehouse Vs Texas High
Hallsville Vs Pine Tree
Mt Pleasant Vs Jacksonville

The winner of the Marshall/Nac game will be headed to the playoffs.  The Mavs are looking to make the playoffs for the 8th season in a row and the 14th time in 17 seasons.  The winner will travel to Huntsville for a first round game.

Whitehouse is looking to force a possible three way tie for the district title with a win over Texarkana.  The Tigers can win the title outright with a win.  If the Tigers win, they will host Lake Creek in the first round.   That would send WH on the road to Montgomery for the first round.  

Barring a WH upset of THS.....a PT win clinches a home playoff game for the Pirates.   They would host A&M Consolidated. 

Now... if WH was to beat THS by 13 or more....  the Wildcats would host Lake Creek and Texas High would host AMC and PT would go to Montgomery.   

If WH beats THS by 12 or less.... the Tigers host Lake Creek, PT would host AMC and WH goes to Montgomery.

Got all that???  Hope my calculations and scenarios are all correct.

---

7-5A Div I
Longview Vs Tyler
Highland Park Vs Wylie East
Sherman Vs. West Mesquite
McKinney North- OFF

HP, Longview, and Sherman are all heavy favorites for their games.

HP is looking to host New Caney in the first round. Longview should host Lufkin.  Sherman will travel to College Station while Magnolia would host McNorth.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

8-5A- DIV I
Waller Vs Lufkin
Magnolia Vs New Caney
Caney Creek Vs Cleveland
Porter- OFF

Barring upsets by New Caney or Mag West.... Lufkin will clinch a playoff spot with a win over Waller.  Earning them the right to travel to Longview for a first round game Vs the Lobos.  

Unless Waller upsets LP, New Caney should settle into the #4 spot to take on Highland Park.

Looks like Magnolia will host McKinney North and College Station will host Sherman.   

I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Waller beats Lufkin, and the other results go the way they’re suppose to, and we get that 5 way tie for third place.

Thatd be the most 2020 thing to happen, especially with the way Lufkin’s season has gone.

Just now, EazyMoney said:

I wonder what the district rules are for handling a 5 way tie.  Not sure I’ve seen that before.  

Surely it comes down to point differentials till it creates a ahead to head between two remaining teams. 

But I think some districts have some strange rules. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Week 10 Recap:
Pine Tree beat Mount Pleasant 45-23
Whitehouse beat Jacksonville 42-14
Texas High beat Nacogdoches
Marshall beat Hallsville 2-0 COVID FORFEIT
Highland Park beat West Mesquite 49-14
Sherman beat Tyler 30-9
Longview beat McKinney North 55-10
Lufkin beat Caney Creek 58-0
New Caney beat Magnolia West 55-48
Magnolia beat Porter 41-6
College Station beat Waller 61-21
Cleveland- OFF
Wylie East- OFF

---------------

District 8-5A DIV II

ZONE A
Ennis (4-0)(7-0)
Royse City (3-1) (5-2)
Crandall (1-3) (4-4)
Forney (0-4) (0-10)

ZONE B
North Forney (3-1) (7-1)
Greenville (2-2) (4-3)
Sulphur Springs (2-2) (2-4)
Corsicana (1-3) (3-6)

The district was idle this week. 

8-5A FINAL STANDINGS 
Ennis
North Forney
Royse City
Greenville
Sulphur Springs
Crandall
Corsicana
Forney

District 9-5A DIV II

Texas High (9-0) (6-0)
Pine Tree (7-1-1) (5-1)
Whitehouse (8-1) (5-1)
Marshall (5-4) (3-3)
Nacogdoches (4-4) (3-3)
Mount Pleasant (3-6) (1-5)
Jacksonville (1-8) (1-5)
Hallsville (0-8) (0-6)

Texas High clinched no less than a tie for the district title with their win over Nacogdoches.  Pine Tree earned their first 7-win season since 1983 and is on the cusp of hosting a playoff game with a win over Hallsville next week.  Marshall and Nac are tied for the fourth and final playoff spot.  The showdown is set.  

District 7-5A DIV I
Highland Park (7-0) (5-0)
Longview (6-2) (3-1)
Sherman (4-5) (3-1)
McKinney North (3-6) (3-3)
Tyler (2-6) (2-3)
West Mesquite (1-8) (1-4)
Wylie East (1-7) (0-6)

Highland Park remains at the top of the district with Longview and Sherman knotted up in second place.  McNorth has contro of the final playoff slot. 

District 8-5A DIV I

Magnolia (8-1) (7-0)
College Station (8-1) (6-1)
New Caney (5-4) (4-3)
Lufkin (5-4) (4-3)
Magnolia West (5-4) (4-3)
Porter (6-4) (4-4)
Waller (3-6) (3-4)
Cleveland (1-8) (0-7)
Caney Creek (0-9) (0-7)

Magnolia remains on top of the district with College Station in line to host a playoff game.  A three way tie for third exists between Lufkin, Mag West and New Caney.... making the final week very interesting.  

------------------

Week 11 Games:

8-5A- DIV I
Waller Vs Lufkin
Magnolia Vs New Caney
Caney Creek Vs Cleveland
Porter- OFF

---

8-5A DIV II
Greenville Vs Ennis
North Forney Vs Royse City 
Sulphur Springs Vs Forney
Corsicana Vs Crandall

Meaningless cross-over games.  The playoff teams are set. 

Ennis, North Forney, Royse City, and Greenville. 

Ennis will likely host Frisco Liberty. North Forney will likely host Denison

Royse City will travel to Frisco and Greenville will go to Lovejoy. 

---

9-5A DIV II
Nacogdoches Vs Marshall
Whitehouse Vs Texas High
Hallsville Vs Pine Tree
Mt Pleasant Vs Jacksonville

The winner of the Marshall/Nac game will be headed to the playoffs.  The Mavs are looking to make the playoffs for the 8th season in a row and the 14th time in 17 seasons.  The winner will travel to Huntsville for a first round game.

Whitehouse is looking to force a possible three way tie for the district title with a win over Texarkana.  The Tigers can win the title outright with a win.  If the Tigers win, they will host Lake Creek in the first round.   That would send WH on the road to Montgomery for the first round.  

Barring a WH upset of THS.....a PT win clinches a home playoff game for the Pirates.   They would host A&M Consolidated. 

Now... if WH was to beat THS by 13 or more....  the Wildcats would host Lake Creek and Texas High would host AMC and PT would go to Montgomery.   

If WH beats THS by 12 or less.... the Tigers host Lake Creek, PT would host AMC and WH goes to Montgomery.

Got all that???  Hope my calculations and scenarios are all correct.

---

7-5A Div I
Longview Vs Tyler
Highland Park Vs Wylie East
Sherman Vs. West Mesquite
McKinney North- OFF

HP, Longview, and Sherman are all heavy favorites for their games.

HP is looking to host New Caney in the first round. Longview should host Lufkin.  Sherman will travel to College Station while Magnolia would host McNorth.  

Awesome analysis, @Mavchamp, as always. My head hurts.

District 10-5A II  Update –

This weeks scores:

Huntsville 23  Montgomery 15   

Fulshear 29   Lamar Consolidated  28   

A&M Consolidated 24  Bryan Rudder 21

It was close game week in the District.  The big game of the week saw Huntsville defeat Montgomery for the District championship.  Montgomery is a very good team and moved the ball well.  The Hornet defense stepped up when they needed to.  Huntsville is the 1 seed.  The first round game will not be in Huntsville as the SHSU stadium is being renovated.  Not sure where it will be, but the last 2 home games for Huntsville were scheduled in Madisonville.    

Current Rankings

1.  Huntsville       8-0,  5-0

2.  Montgomery   6-3,  4-1     

3.  A&M Consolidated   8-2,  4-2 

4.  Lake Creek    6-3,  3-2 

--------------------------------------

5.  Bryan Rudder  5-4,  1-4  

6.  Fulshear     5-4,  1-4

7.  Lamar Consolidated  0-9,  0-5

Big Game This week:

Montgomery @ Lake Creek – While the seeding would appear to be set, Lake Creek has an opportunity to force a 3 way tie for 2nd place in the Montgomery ISD bowl and they are capable of doing that.  They won this matchup last year.  If this District is using the ridiculous positive point tiebreaker like last year, that result would likely knock Montgomery out of the 2 seed and would depend on how many points LC scores.  If so, could LC grab a 2 seed by scoring over 42 points and possibly stick A&M with a 4 seed?  It's nice to be the last 2 teams playing to decide that.  I doubt anybody wants a 4.5 hour ride to Texarkana.         

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Surely it comes down to point differentials till it creates a ahead to head between two remaining teams. 

But I think some districts have some strange rules. 

Correct. It would come down to points, then head to head with the final two standing.

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Waller beats Lufkin, and the other results go the way they’re suppose to, and we get that 5 way tie for third place.

Thatd be the most 2020 thing to happen, especially with the way Lufkin’s season has gone.

Lufkin has only played two home games this year, where they are 1-1, losing to Magnolia 26-24 and OT 13-7 win over New Caney. Six road games and a home forfeit by Cleveland.  It is what it is, it has been a crazy year, but those kids have been road tested.  Lufkin is an early 21 point favorite for this Friday.  Guess we will find out soon enough, nothing has been normal for Lufkin this year.

Marshall is going to have a difficult task with Nac's defense.  Nac's front seven are big and active and their secondary is very good and experienced.  For Marshall to have chance, they must be able to run the football and the Mav's head coach and staff must put their players in position to be successful.  I still can't understand why he milked the clock against TH the whole first half with NO lead or points on the scoreboard.  Poor job...to say the least.  Go Mav's!

Nac has the best secondary in the district. Two of those guys have been starting since they were freshman I believe. I just don’t see Marshall throwing on them at all especially with Nac front. But I also don’t see Nac doing much offensively against Marshall’s speed on defense. It’ll come down to what it always seems to come down to.... the band’s performance at the half. Seriously. It’ll be turnovers, as always, and who scores off of them with the stolen possession. 

A peek at the 5A Division II Region III bracket

Lake Creek Vs. Texas High
Fort Bend Willowridge or Galena Park Vs. Nederland
Marshall or Nacogdoches Vs. Huntsville
Barber's Hill Vs. Fort Bend Willowridge or Galena Park
Port Neches-Groves Vs. Fort Bend Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Montgomery
Houston Sterling Vs. Crosby
A&M Consolidated Vs. Pine Tree

The winner of the FB WIllowridge Vs. Galena Park game will host Barber's Hill in the first round.... while the loser will have to travel to Nederland.  So that's a HUGE game.  Nederland is not an easy place to win.

The winner of the Nac/Marshall game will will get to Travel to Huntsville to take on the Hornets (game will likely be in Madisonville).

PNG will take on FB Marshall..... talk about a tough first round draw.

Whitehouse has a tough task ahead of them going to Montgomery to take on a Bears team that gave Huntsville all they wanted.

Pine Tree will likely be hosting A&M Consolidated.... who might be the best third place team in the state at (8-2).

Tough playoff rowing ahead for 9-5A. 

TBH..... all of them will probably be underdogs with the exception of Texarkana.... and I don't think Lake Creek is an easy out.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:55 PM, Matt said:

Nac has the best secondary in the district. Two of those guys have been starting since they were freshman I believe. I just don’t see Marshall throwing on them at all especially with Nac front. But I also don’t see Nac doing much offensively against Marshall’s speed on defense. It’ll come down to what it always seems to come down to.... the band’s performance at the half. Seriously. It’ll be turnovers, as always, and who scores off of them with the stolen possession. 

Well I guess we lose since the visiting bands aren't traveling!!:)

We moved our secondary around for TH game, One of the Jones brothers moved from Safety to Corner for the TH game and went one on one most of the night and played well. This game will come down to which offense can execute and not put the defense in a bad position. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

A peek at the 5A Division II Region III bracket

Lake Creek Vs. Texas High
Fort Bend Willowridge or Galena Park Vs. Nederland
Marshall or Nacogdoches Vs. Huntsville
Barber's Hill Vs. Fort Bend Willowridge or Galena Park
Port Neches-Groves Vs. Fort Bend Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Montgomery
Houston Sterling Vs. Crosby
A&M Consolidated Vs. Pine Tree

The winner of the FB WIllowridge Vs. Galena Park game will host Barber's Hill in the first round.... while the loser will have to travel to Nederland.  So that's a HUGE game.  Nederland is not an easy place to win.

The winner of the Nac/Marshall game will will get to Travel to Huntsville to take on the Hornets (game will likely be in Madisonville).

PNG will take on FB Marshall..... talk about a tough first round draw.

Whitehouse has a tough task ahead of them going to Montgomery to take on a Bears team that gave Huntsville all they wanted.

Pine Tree will likely be hosting A&M Consolidated.... who might be the best third place team in the state at (8-2).

Tough playoff rowing ahead for 9-5A. 

TBH..... all of them will probably be underdogs with the exception of Texarkana.... and I don't think Lake Creek is an easy out.

Why in madisonville? 

3 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Why in madisonville? 

Huntsville plays their home games at SHSU and the stadium is currently being renovated.  The last 2 home games have been in Madisonville.  Not sure where the playoff game will be, but it won’t be in Huntsville. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

Nice turf field that isn't far and since Madisonville is 4A, they are done for the season. Next closest turf field would be Willis (I think) and they are playoff bound...

I’ve been to madisonville for a playoff game and showed mav years ago some of their facilities. The gym looks really nice.

I was just confused why the game was in madisonville. I didn’t know until Eazymoney said something about the renovations at Sam.

14 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Mount Pleasant basketball is now 2-0 after a win over Lufkin. They were ranked #14 in 5A before the game.

If anyone wants to watch any games. It is on Mount Pleasant basketball youtube page. 

They play Royce City tomorrow.

I watched MP and Lufkin on Friday.  MP has excellent guard play, but they don't have much size. (Maybe they have some still on the football field?) Lufkin has a Soph Big Man that put up 27 points on them in the paint.  They shouldn't have much trouble in District, but the lack of size may hurt their playoff run when they run up against the Dallas area schools.  Very fun team to watch!