2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

2 hours ago, Dubhouse92 said:

I watched MP and Lufkin on Friday.  MP has excellent guard play, but they don't have much size. (Maybe they have some still on the football field?) Lufkin has a Soph Big Man that put up 27 points on them in the paint.  They shouldn't have much trouble in District, but the lack of size may hurt their playoff run when they run up against the Dallas area schools.  Very fun team to watch!

I havent got to watch them yet. I will tonight when they take on Royce City.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That’s great, so glad for all the seniors in football, drill, cheer, and band. Tough year. 

So true.  All these kids have missed a big part of the high school experience.  Obviously some schools more than others.  It is tough thinking how this has devastated some special times and not just on an athletic level. I hope this all will some day be a distant.....but dark.....memory.

• Like 2

The new Maverick Pavilion is OPEN for business!   They held its first practice under the roof Monday & the Maverick Freshmen worked out Tuesday preparing for the final game of the season on Thursday. Such an great facility that will benefit so many of our students!

47666894-CC9E-41BB-855E-858B63E0D7E7.jpeg

6719FA85-2292-4529-8C79-B02644A46489.jpeg

D7A56DD5-942B-42FD-ABE9-08C44E6CB808.jpeg

FD6882CA-271A-4FFC-BFD7-12E099B54506.jpeg

• Like 3

Found a very detailed playoff scenario for 8-5A.  Magnolia, Lufkin, and College Station should all be favored to win, but then again, the outcome is meaningless for Magnolia and CS.  If they are resting players, then NC and MW certainly could win and will be motivated to do so.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out. 

https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighborhood/moco/sports/article/FOOTBALL-Every-playoff-scenario-for-Montgomery-15773491.php

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

Found a very detailed playoff scenario for 8-5A.  Magnolia, Lufkin, and College Station should all be favored to win, but then again, the outcome is meaningless for Magnolia and CS.  If they are resting players, then NC and MW certainly could win and will be motivated to do so.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out. 

https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighborhood/moco/sports/article/FOOTBALL-Every-playoff-scenario-for-Montgomery-15773491.php

Thank you for this! This is exactly what I've been waiting to see.

Week 11 Recap:
Texas High beat Whitehouse 51-21
Pine Tree beat Hallsville 70-35
Nacogdoches beat Marshall 28-13
Mount Pleasant beat Jacksonville 41-13
Ennis beat Greenville 56-3
North Forney beat Royse City 43-14
Corsicana beat Crandall 14-13
Sulphur Springs Vs. Forney- CANCELLED
Longview beat Tyler 58-14
Highland Park beat Wylie East 51-0
Sherman beat West Mesquite 50-36
McKinney North- BYE
College Station beat Magnolia West 70-28
Lufkin beat Waller 56-13
Magnolia beat New Caney  35-14
Cleveland beat Caney Creek 34-3
Porter- BYE

---------------

District 8-5A DIV II

ZONE A
Ennis (4-0)(7-0)
Royse City (3-1) (5-2)
Crandall (1-3) (4-4)
Forney (0-4) (0-10)

ZONE B
North Forney (3-1) (7-1)
Greenville (2-2) (4-3)
Sulphur Springs (2-2) (2-4)
Corsicana (1-3) (3-6)

The district was idle this week. 

8-5A FINAL STANDINGS 
Ennis (8-0)
North Forney (8-1)
Royse City (5-3)
Greenville (4-4)
Crandall (3-4)
Sulphur Springs (2-4)
Corsicana (3-6)
Forney (0-9)

Meaningless cross over games this week did nothing to change playoff seedings. 

District 9-5A DIV II
Texas High (10-0) (7-0)
Pine Tree (8-1-1) (6-1)
Whitehouse (8-2) (5-2)
Nacogdoches (5-4) (4-3)

Marshall (5-5) (3-4)
Mount Pleasant (4-6) (2-5)
Jacksonville (1-9) (1-6)
Hallsville (0-9) (0-7)

Texas High completed a perfect (10-0) season with a dominating win over WH.  PT closes out with a huge win over Hallsville.  Nac clinched the fourth and final playoff slot with a win over Marshall.

District 7-5A DIV I
Highland Park (8-0) (6-0)
Longview (7-2) (4-1)
Sherman (5-5) (4-1)
McKinney North (3-6) (3-3)
Tyler (2-7) (2-4)
West Mesquite (1-9) (1-5)
Wylie East (1-8) (0-6)

HP enters the playoffs as the top seed.  Longview will settle in to the #2 slot.  Sherman and McKinney North round out the playoff docket.  Tyler is out.

District 8-5A DIV I
Magnolia (9-1) (8-0)
College Station (9-1) (7-1)
Lufkin (6-4) (5-3)
New Caney (5-5) (4-4)
Magnolia West (5-5) (4-4)

Porter (6-4) (4-4)
Waller (3-7) (3-5)
Cleveland (2-8) (1-7)
Caney Creek (0-10) (0-8)

Magnolia wins the district championship with College Station taking the #2 slot.  LP moved up to the #3 slot with their win.  The fourth and final playoff slot went to New Caney since they beat Porter and Mag West head to head.

------------------

Bi-District Playoff Games:

DIV II
Lake Creek (6-4) Vs. Texas High (10-0)
A&M Consolidated (8-2) Vs. Pine Tree (8-1-1)
Whitehouse (8-2) Vs. Montgomery (7-3)

Nacogdoches (5-4) Vs. Huntsville (9-0)

Frisco (6-1) Liberty Vs. Ennis (8-0)
Denison (7-3) Vs. North Forney (8-1)
Royse City (5-3) Vs. Frisco (6-1)
Greenville (4-4) Vs. Lovejoy (10-0)

DIV I
New Caney (5-5) Vs. Highland Park (8-0)
Lufkin (6-4) Vs. Longview (7-2)
Sherman (5-4) Vs. College Station (9-1)
McKinney North(3-6) Vs. Magnolia (9-1)

19 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Week 11 Recap:
Texas High beat Whitehouse 51-21
Pine Tree beat Hallsville 70-35
Nacogdoches beat Marshall 28-13
Mount Pleasant beat Jacksonville 41-13
Ennis beat Greenville 56-3
North Forney beat Royse City 43-14
Corsicana beat Crandall 14-13
Sulphur Springs Vs. Forney- CANCELLED
Longview beat Tyler 58-14
Highland Park beat Wylie East 51-0
Sherman beat West Mesquite 50-36
McKinney North- BYE
College Station beat Magnolia West 70-28
Lufkin beat Waller 56-13
Magnolia beat New Caney  35-14
Cleveland beat Caney Creek 34-3
Porter- BYE

---------------

District 8-5A DIV II

ZONE A
Ennis (4-0)(7-0)
Royse City (3-1) (5-2)
Crandall (1-3) (4-4)
Forney (0-4) (0-10)

ZONE B
North Forney (3-1) (7-1)
Greenville (2-2) (4-3)
Sulphur Springs (2-2) (2-4)
Corsicana (1-3) (3-6)

The district was idle this week. 

8-5A FINAL STANDINGS 
Ennis (8-0)
North Forney (8-1)
Royse City (5-3)
Greenville (4-4)
Crandall (3-4)
Sulphur Springs (2-4)
Corsicana (3-6)
Forney (0-9)

Meaningless cross over games this week did nothing to change playoff seedings. 

District 9-5A DIV II
Texas High (10-0) (7-0)
Pine Tree (8-1-1) (6-1)
Whitehouse (8-2) (5-2)
Nacogdoches (5-4) (4-3)

Marshall (5-5) (3-4)
Mount Pleasant (4-6) (2-5)
Jacksonville (1-9) (1-6)
Hallsville (0-9) (0-7)

Texas High completed a perfect (10-0) season with a dominating win over WH.  PT closes out with a huge win over Hallsville.  Nac clinched the fourth and final playoff slot with a win over Marshall.

District 7-5A DIV I
Highland Park (8-0) (6-0)
Longview (7-2) (4-1)
Sherman (5-5) (4-1)
McKinney North (3-6) (3-3)
Tyler (2-7) (2-4)
West Mesquite (1-9) (1-5)
Wylie East (1-8) (0-6)

HP enters the playoffs as the top seed.  Longview will settle in to the #2 slot.  Sherman and McKinney North round out the playoff docket.  Tyler is out.

District 8-5A DIV I
Magnolia (9-1) (8-0)
College Station (9-1) (7-1)
Lufkin (6-4) (5-3)
New Caney (5-5) (4-4)
Magnolia West (5-5) (4-4)

Porter (6-4) (4-4)
Waller (3-7) (3-5)
Cleveland (2-8) (1-7)
Caney Creek (0-10) (0-8)

Magnolia wins the district championship with College Station taking the #2 slot.  LP moved up to the #3 slot with their win.  The fourth and final playoff slot went to New Caney since they beat Porter and Mag West head to head.

------------------

Bi-District Playoff Games:

DIV II
Lake Creek (6-4) Vs. Texas High (10-0)
A&M Consolidated (8-2) Vs. Pine Tree (8-1-1)
Whitehouse (8-2) Vs. Montgomery (7-3)

Nacogdoches (5-4) Vs. Huntsville (9-0)

This is a tough draw for every single team in 9-5A with the exception of Texas High.  The Tigers should roll easy Vs. Lake Creek.  Texarkana is clicking on all cylinders right now it appears.

Pine Tree might be hosting the best #3 seed in the state Friday night.  Their only losses were to Huntsville and Montgomery.  AMC has a TON of playoff pedigree, while PT has none.  This is a killer draw for any hosting team.  Pirates will have their hands full.

Whitehouse has a tough game too.  They will be a long way from home when they travel to Montgomery.  The Bears gave Huntsville all they wanted for a while....it will be a tough uphill battle for the Wildcats who have some serious defensive issues.

Nac will likely play Huntsville in Madisonville since SHSU's stadium is under construction.  The Dragons are facing a Hornets team that has been at the top of region III for a nice long time.... hard to fathom Nac getting this upset.  Huntsville is undefeated and appears primed for another matchup with Fort Bend Marshall.

(1-3) is a distinct possibility for 9-5A. 

Anyone but TxH winning would be an upset IMHO.

Good luck to Texas High, PT, and Nac! 

Pulling for ya'll!

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm still in shock with how Magnolia West ended the season. Completely fell off a cliff after losing to Magnolia.

Yea, I’m shocked about that too.  I didn’t see their path to missing the playoffs.  Maybe the football gods were paying them back for the 97-0 game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyMoney said:

Yea, I’m shocked about that too.  I didn’t see their path to missing the playoffs.  Maybe the football gods were paying them back for the 97-0 game. 

Yep.  Payback come with doing that stuff.  I know someone who was at that game and said they were driving, and ran out of time trying to break 100 and were disappointed they didn't.  College Station 72-0, Lufkin 58-0 and Magnolia 56-0 .  At some point you just need to run the clock out in a game like that and go home.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Please someone explain to me what happen to Marshall, thought they had great potential this year. Was it injuries?

Interested to get Mav fans thoughts, but it appeared to be line play. For about 5 years, that was the problem at Texas High. 

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Please someone explain to me what happen to Marshall, thought they had great potential this year. Was it injuries?

I was looking forward to another Huntsville-Marshall matchup.  I am also surprised they didn’t even make playoffs after winning district last year.  

The one criticism, I have of the Tigers is they have a tendency to play to their “perceived” level of their opponents. If I were Jerry Sanford, I would relive 2019 when a 4th seed traveled to the home stadium of a state ranked team and came home with a win. Stay focused and play like they are playing Ennis.

33 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

1.  Offensive line was putrid.

I'm pretty sure we got worse as the season progressed.  Some of that is on the kids... some of that on the staff IMHO.  If the kids aren't going to put the work in.... then other kids should get the shot.  The JV OL couldn't have done much worse..... 

To me it was laziness.  No hustle at all.

2.  Lack of mobility at QB.

Our QB had a great arm.... he finished the season with 1600-ish yards passing, but he was strictly a pocket passer.  That's bad when you have the problem listed in #1.  He just didn't have the skill set to tuck and run like we've seen in past Marshall QB's.  We've always had mobile QB's and it was a dagger in a lot of defenses we played.  We simply didn't have it in 2020.

3.  Vanilla/predictable play-calling

When #1 and #2 are a problem... it makes you pretty predictable and too easy to defend.  Most defenses were in our backfield before the handoffs were being made.... or the QB was having to run for his life.

4.  Texas High drops to Div II

Lucky us.... best team THS has had in a decade and they drop to Div II.  Wish they had been in Div I with Longview and HP this season.  lmao.  Woulda been fun to watch.

5.  Pine Tree has a generational team

Might not be a program in the region more deserving of finally having a great season than PT.  It's been a long.... long....LOOOOOOOONG time coming.  Not sure it will continue with what they will lose after this season....but they were overdue.... and they were simply better than us.

All of that (and more) added up to a wildly disappointing (5-5) season.

It's pretty frustrating that we beat New Caney AND McKinney North.... who are both in the Div I playoffs in their districts..... and we can't even finish in the top 4 in our Div II district.  

We got some work to do this offseason.

17 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Possible playoff roads for 9-5A:

Mavchamp,  quick question from a Texas High fan.  You show Nederland as likely second round foe.  Did Nederland’s victory over Crosby last night change that?  I think Nederland got #1 seed and Crosby the #2

16 minutes ago, Ace said:

Mavchamp,  quick question from a Texas High fan.  You show Nederland as likely second round foe.  Did Nederland’s victory over Crosby last night change that?  I think Nederland got #1 seed and Crosby the #2

Indeed it did.