2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

36 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Cool off dude, I did not intentionally disrespect his name.

Meant in good fun.   I knew you were not offering disrespect in any way.  In fact, I think you were responding to an earlier post that had his name wrong.  

At the end of my post, I switched gears and commented that I have to resist the temptation to be a jerk and try to correct every post that gets the name of Texas High's Stadium wrong.   Through the years, even Texas High posters have gotten the stadium name wrong by referring to is as Grimm rather than Grim.   (Officially changed a few years ago from Grim Stadium to Tiger Stadium at Grim Park).     Al Hanna, the long-time voice of the Tigers would explain it this way:  It's Grim, as in Grim Reaper, not "Grimm" as in "Grimms Fairy Tales".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Meant in good fun.   I knew you were not offering disrespect in any way.  In fact, I think you were responding to an earlier post that had his name wrong.  

At the end of my post, I switched gears and commented that I have to resist the temptation to be a jerk and try to correct every post that gets the name of Texas High's Stadium wrong.   Through the years, even Texas High posters have gotten the stadium name wrong by referring to is as Grimm rather than Grim.   (Officially changed a few years ago from Grim Stadium to Tiger Stadium at Grim Park).     Al Hanna, the long-time voice of the Tigers would explain it this way:  It's Grim, as in Grim Reaper, not "Grimm" as in "Grimms Fairy Tales".  

Ha, that's a great way to differentiate the spelling!

Question: When Jacksonville played Texas High in 2009 at SFA in bi-district, I met the radio play-by-play gentleman for Thigh in the press box. He told me it was like his 48th year of broadcasting . . . or something like that (?) Was that Al Hanna? Is he still around? Do you know how many years he did the Texas Highs games? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Question: When Jacksonville played Texas High in 2009 at SFA in bi-district, I met the radio play-by-play gentleman for Thigh in the press box. He told me it was like his 48th year of broadcasting . . . or something like that (?) Was that Al Hanna? Is he still around? Do you know how many years he did the Texas Highs games? Thanks in advance.

He passed away like six years ago. 

21 hours ago, Matt said:

Matt, Eagleborn is correct.   Al Hanna died about six years ago.   He started broadcasting Tiger games in the 1960s and continued for about 50 years.    When the stadium was upgraded several years ago and a state of the art press box was constructed, the press box was named the Al Hanna Press Box.   Wisely, the school district chose to honor him in that way before he died.   He got to broadcast games from the press box bearing his name.  What a great guy.   Still to this day I will find myself blurting out some quirky Al Hanna-ism when something happens during a game.  When an obvious penalty occurred and every official on the field would throw their flags, Al would say - "there's so much yellow cloth on the field, it looks like a whirlwind hit a quilting bee out there".   They don't make them like Al anymore.

One of the great things about East Texas football is that each town and school has colorful, devoted fans and radio guys that have been around for decades.   They are walking encyclopedias when it come to the history of their teams and they stick with their teams 100% through good years and lean years alike.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Matt, Eagleborn is correct.   Al Hanna died about six years ago.   He started broadcasting Tiger games in the 1960s and continued for about 50 years.    When the stadium was upgraded several years ago and a state of the art press box was constructed, the press box was named the Al Hanna Press Box.   Wisely, the school district chose to honor him in that way before he died.   He got to broadcast games from the press box bearing his name.  What a great guy.   Still to this day I will find myself blurting out some quirky Al Hanna-ism when something happens during a game.  When an obvious penalty occurred and every official on the field would throw their flags, Al would say - "there's so much yellow on the field, it looks like a whirlwind hit a quilting bee out there".   They don't make them like Al anymore.

One of the great things about East Texas football is that each town and school has colorful, devoted fans and radio guys that have been around for decades.   They are walking encyclopedias when it come to the history of their teams and they stick with their teams 100% through good years and lean years alike.  

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. We had a great conversation. I had been broadcasting Jax games 27 years at that time. I just finished year 39.... started in 1982 when I was 22. I know I’m no where near as witty as Al Hanna was. What a great legacy thanks, for sharing. 

• Like 1

I saw a post on another site that said that PNG exposed FB Marshall as being the product of a weak schedule.   I was really surprised that PNG almost pulled off the huge upset.

Crosby got up on Willowridge 28-0 in the first quarter and coasted to a huge win.   The Cougars might be a real challenge for the winner of the Texas High - Lake Creek game.

43 minutes ago, Ace said:

I saw a post on another site that said that PNG exposed FB Marshall as being the product of a weak schedule.   I was really surprised that PNG almost pulled off the huge upset.

Crosby got up on Willowridge 28-0 in the first quarter and coasted to a huge win.   The Cougars might be a real challenge for the winner of the Texas High - Lake Creek game.

Crosby is GOOD imho. 

44 minutes ago, Ace said:

I think PNG is just a proud program with tons of history is never an easy game no matter what their seeding is.  I’d never expect them to lay down to anyone. 

On 12/10/2020 at 10:45 AM, Ace said:

My bad, apologies and appreciate your graciousness.

9-5A goes 2-2 against 10-5A..... games were closer than I suspected.

Congrats to PT and Texas High on advancing.

Texas High wins 37-7.  They get Crosby next.
Pine Tree wins 34-28 in OT.  They get Nederland next
Nac falls to Huntsville 29-0

Montgomery got the game winning TD over Whitehouse with a 63 yard run with less than a min left in the game to win 38-31. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Montgomery got the game winning TD over Whitehouse with a 63 yard run with less than a min left in the game to win 38-31. 

Thanks for the updates

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Did you see that fog in the Whitehouse game?! Crazy stuff!

5 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

Our district put up a pretty good fight tonight.  Knew Nac was up against it. Thought Texas High would win especially being at Grim.  Thought PT and WH had a 50:50 shot.   Glad to see at least 2 advance. 

Last time two East Texas 5A Div II teams advanced was 2018 when Marshall and Lindale did.