2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Still looking to confirm this....but I've heard it from multiple people that Coach CJ Lottinger will be returning to Marshall as an offensive line coach.

If this is true.... this is absolutely HUGE.  He was instrumental in our district/playoff success in his first stint with the Mavs.

The O-line was without a doubt Marshall's achilles heel in 2019 and 2020... more of a liability than an asset for sure.

He had great success in Longview as well.

This could be Coach G's best hire in his short tenure.  

Welcome back, Coach Lott!!!!

EAST TEXAS 5A BOYS AREA SCORES
Huntsville beat North Forney 91-85
Midlothian beat Sulphur Springs 44-36
Mount Pleasant beat Waco University 67-33
Highland Park beat Longview 57-52

Mount Pleasant will be the lone school of East Texas (sorry Huntsville) to advance to the third round of the playoffs thanks to their dominating performance over a chippy Waco University team.  The Tigers are now 26-0 and will face Huntsville on Saturday with details TBA.  Meanwhile Sulphur Springs saw a 14 point halftime lead evaporate against Midlothian in an 8 point loss.  Longview overcame a big deficit  to HP, but the Scots managed to hang on for the win.

Congrats to MP and their win..... good luck Saturday!
------------------------------------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A BOYS SOCCER
Longview 5-0
Mount Pleasant 5-1
Pine Tree 3-2
Sulphur Springs 3-3
Hallsville 3-3
Marshall 1-5
Texas High 0-6

Game 7 Thurs Feb 25
Sulphur Springs beat Hallsville 5-0
Longview Vs. Pine Tree- PPD till Friday (Lightning)
Mount Pleasant beat Marshall 3-0 (FINAL?)
Texas High- OFF

Longview and MP are clearly the two top teams in the district and the finish for the district championship could be a great one with the rematch coming up next week (Longview won the first game in a shootout).  The race for the final two spots could be a good one between PT, SS, and Hallsville who could find themselves in a three-way tie should PT lose to Longview on Friday.  

-----------------------------------------------------

DISTRICT 16-5A BOYS SOCCER
Tyler 2-0-1
Whitehouse 4-1
Lufkin 3-1
Nacogdoches 2-2-1
Huntsville 0-3-1
Jacksonville 0-4-1

GAME 5
Whitehouse beat Huntsville 3-1
Nacogdoches beat Jacksonville 4-0
Lufkin Vs. Tyler ?????

The standings are a little deceiving without Tyler's score Vs. LP tonight and the Lion's pending make-up game Vs. Huntsville, which will be played in a few weeks.  It appears Huntsville and Jacksonville are on the outside looking in as far as the post season goes.  However, Tyler, WH, Lufkin, and Nac are tightly contesting the finish for 1-4.  

DISTRICT 15-5A GIRLS SOCCER
Longview 5-0
Hallsville 3-1-1
Sulphur Springs 3-2
Mount Pleasant 3-2-1
Pine Tree 2-3
Texas High 2-4
Marshall 0-6

Game 7 Thurs Feb 25
Sulphur Springs Vs Hallsville ????
Longview Vs. Pine Tree- PPD (lighting)- 2PM tomorrow at Lobo Stadium
Mount Pleasant beat Marshall 11-0
Texas High- OFF

Several games missing tonight.  I'll update the standings tomorrow evening after a few more scores are posted.   Back in action on Saturday in more make-up games.

DISTRICT 16-5A GIRLS SOCCER
Jacksonville 3-0-1
Huntsville 2-2-1
Nacogdoches 2-2
Whitehouse 2-3
Tyler 1-2-1
Lufkin 1-2-1

Game 5
Whitehouse beat Huntsville 2-0
Tyler Vs. Lufkin ????
Nacogdoches Vs. Jacksonville ????

Another tight race.  Scores from Thursday could make things VERY interesting.  More action on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Small correction, since it does matter in the point standings etc, the Longview win over Mount Pleasant was in overtime. Planning on attending next Friday’s game in Mount Pleasantx

Longview/Pine Tree kick off at Pine Tree at 12:30 today.

Lobo baseball improved to 4-0 today, with a 5-4 win over Kilgore and a 4-3 win over Bullard. Both wins were walk off victories.

The win over Bullard marked the first time the Lobos had defeated Bullard in baseball (in the 5th meeting).

50 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lobo baseball improved to 4-0 today, with a 5-4 win over Kilgore and a 4-3 win over Bullard. Both wins were walk off victories.

The win over Bullard marked the first time the Lobos had defeated Bullard in baseball (in the 5th meeting).

The thing I've always told people about the baseball program, there's talent. We send kids to college and even the pro level. We just never really put it together for some odd reason.

District will be a totally different animal with the likes of Hallsville and T-High awaiting but...still nice to see them with this hot start. Kilgore is usually pretty good in baseball. 

EAST TEXAS 5A BOYS REGION QUARTERFINAL
Mount Pleasant Vs. Huntsville SAT 5PM- ATHENS

------------------------------------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A BOYS SOCCER
Longview 5-0-1
Mount Pleasant 5-1
Pine Tree 3-2-1
Sulphur Springs 3-3
Hallsville 3-3
Marshall 1-5
Texas High 0-6

Game 7 Make-up
Longview Vs. Pine Tree- TIE 1-1.  PT won the shoot-out 4-3

Game 8 Sat Feb 27
Sulphur Springs Vs. Longview
Pine Tree Vs. Mt. Pleasant
Texas High Vs. Marshall
Hallsville- OFF

Pretty big games Saturday.  SS in desperate need of a win to keep themselves in the playoff chase.  A loss would put them on the outside looking in.  Longview needs a win to keep themselves in sole possession of first place over MP.  MP needs a win over PT to keep pace with Longview.... PT needs a win to keep pace with MP and Longview.  

DISTRICT 16-5A BOYS SOCCER
Lufkin 5-1
Whitehouse 4-2
Tyler 2-1-2
Nacogdoches 2-2-2
Jacksonville 1-4-1
Huntsville 0-3-1

GAME 5
Lufkin beat Tyler 4-2

Game 6
Lufkin beat Huntsville 5-0
Jacksonville beat Whitehouse 2-0
Nacogdoches and Tyler tied 2-2

Last place Jacksonville got the upset of the season with their 2-0 win over first place Whitehouse.  The loss dropped the Wildcats down to second place.  The win kept the Tribe's dire playoff hopes alive.  LP's win over Huntsville coupled with WH's loss lifted the Panthers to the top of the district standings.  Tyler and Nac battled to a tie.  The Lions still have a make-up game with Huntsville pending.

DISTRICT 15-5A GIRLS SOCCER
Longview 6-0
Hallsville 4-1-1
Mount Pleasant 3-1-2
Sulphur Springs 2-3-1
Pine Tree 2-4
Texas High 2-4
Marshall 0-6

Game 7
Hallsville beat Sulphur Springs 4-3
Longview beat Pine Tree 6-0
Mount Pleasant beat Marshall 11-0
Texas High- OFF

Game 8- SATURDAY
Sulphur Springs Vs. Longview
Pine Tree Vs. Mt. Pleasant
Texas High Vs. Marshall
Hallsville- OFF

DISTRICT 16-5A GIRLS SOCCER
Jacksonville 5-0-1
Lufkin 2-2-2
Huntsville 2-2-2
Nacogdoches 2-3
Whitehouse 2-4
Tyler 1-3-1

Game 5
Whitehouse beat Huntsville 2-0
Lufkin beat Tyler 3-0
Jacksonville beat Nacogdoches

Game 6
Lufkin tied Huntsville 0-0, LP won the shoot out 4-3
Jacksonville beat Whitehouse 1-0
Nacogdoches Vs. Tyler ????

19 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lady Lobos defeat Pine Tree, 6-0.

Longview improves to 6-0 in district play. Lady Lobos have won their last 3 games by a combined 30-0.

Lady Lobos defeat Sulphur Springs, 3-1, this morning. 7-0 in district play.

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MP beat Huntsville 64-61 in OT. 

Tigers headed to the regional tourney. 

Will face #1 Lancaster next 

MP and Sulphur Springs are showing Big school East TX that if you get a very good coach and invest in the Basketball program, you can win and make deep playoff runs.    Rooting for all the non-metro area large schools. I think Beaumont United has a very good chance to win it this yr too. 

Good Luck MP.  

55 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

MP and Sulphur Springs are showing Big school East TX that if you get a very good coach and invest in the Basketball program, you can win and make deep playoff runs.    Rooting for all the non-metro area large schools. I think Beaumont United has a very good chance to win it this yr too. 

Good Luck MP.  

So far, MP has beaten:

Lufkin (non metro), Waco University (non metro), and Huntsville (non metro). Let's see what they do against Lancaster. 

The only other decent/good big school basketball teams that were in ETX this year were SS and Longview.

Well, SS loss to Midlothian (metro) in the 2nd round...and Longview loss to Highland Park (metro) in the 2nd round....a game that I was just happy to see us keep close. 

If United can run the table, they'll be the first non burb/city state basketball champion, in the top two classifications, to win it in 20 years. Funny enough, the last one to do it was Beaumont Ozen in 2001. For those that don't know, Ozen and Central combined to create Beaumont United. East Texas hasn't seen a champion in the top two classifications since Longview won it in 1992, almost 30 years ago. That's how rare this stuff is. 

The landscape of basketball in the top two classes just doesn't favor non metro schools. It goes beyond population trends, growth, coaching or demo. The rise of AAU the past 15-20 years was a gut punch to the non metros. It allowed for a lot more training and reps for the metro school athletes, and dare I say it, it also allowed for a lot of undercover/loophole recruiting to go on too. I mean sure you may get a kid or two or three at Longview that does AAU over the summer, but meanwhile, over at Lancaster, Desoto, Duncanville or Yates, they have 8 or 9 that not only did AAU, they played on very good AAU teams and have been every summer since probably the age of 8-10. Then there's the undercover/loophole recruiting at AAU circuits. I'll use Yates as example because I'm pretty familiar with them (two of my best friends went to Yates and gave me the whole spill). You'd be shocked at the number of Yates players that don't actually come from 3rd Ward. Every HISD HS specializes in an area of education, math, science, something. Well, Yates specialization is communication (I believe). And as long as you go to Yates to specialize in communication, you can live anywhere and attend the school. Aha, loophole. So and so (could be a parent, volunteer coach...whoever) sees kid at AAU circuit, like what he sees, convinces his parent(s) to send him to Yates to do communications. 

Crazy stuff...and why I'm never optimistic about non metro big schools winning titles. Longview has a ton of young upcoming talent, I think in 2022, it may be the best basketball team we've had in a while...but its only so far I'll expect them to go. Just the reality of the situation. Newton is a good coach, so coaching won't be the issue. The talent will be there....but the metro area is an entirely different animal. And they prove it every single year.