2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

On 5/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, ANTI said:

Congrats to the Lobo baseball team on a fine season, more than exceeded expectations.

I can't lie though, I'm pretty damn excited to get key football pieces back for spring ball from both baseball and track.

Completely agree on both fronts.

Sorry for the late post, have been in San Antonio this weekend.

Big congrats to our boys in baseball. What a fantastic season for them. One of our best ever, record wise. Nothing but pride should be coming from them all.

Knowing what we have returning on all fronts (football, basketball, soccer, baseball) makes me extremely excited for next year.

Time for our favorite sport to get going. Ready for 7v7, not to mention the spring game.

Congrats to Nac and best of luck next round.

• Like 1

20-5A Bi-District Recap...Lake Creek came up big in their first playoff appearance in school history. Perfect game in their first playoff game, and bounced back from a Game 2 loss to win their first playoff series...Kingwood Park was a victim of the weather. Season finale against Porter was pushed back, moving their seeding game with Lake Creek to Monday. Pitching wasn't able to rebound as they were quickly swept by a very good College Station team...Porter jumped on a VERY talented Brenham game one. Brenham fired right back in game 2. Porter led 6-0 going into the 7th of Game 3, only to watch Brenham make things interesting, putting the winning run at the plate with two outs. Porter gets the win and moves on...Montgomery shocked a lot of people, but the Bears are getting healthy at the right time. Swept Magnolia and are two wins from a possible district rematch against Lake Creek...

20-5A Area Matchups

(W20) Lake Creek vs. (R17) Austin McCallum

G1: Thursday, Lake Creek HS, 6:30
G2: Friday, Nelson Field (Austin), 5:00
G3 (If needed): 30 minutes following Game 2

(F20) Montgomery vs. (R18) Elgin

G1: Thursday, Nutrabolt Stadium (Bryan), 4:30
G2: Friday, Nubrabolt Stadium, 6:00
G3 (If needed): Saturday, Nutrabolt Stadium, 1:00

(W18) Pflugerville Hendrickson vs. (T20) Porter

G1: Thursday, Mumford HS, 7:30
G2: Friday, Fireman's Park (Brenham), 5:00
G3 (If needed): 30 minutes following Game 2

UIL 5A Region 2 Quarterfinals

Lady Hornets Vs Sulphur Springs Wildcats on Wednesday night at 6:30 pm at Whitehouse High School softball complex.

GAME 2 will be played at Rusk High School Softball Complex on Friday, May 14th @ 6:00 pm.

GAME 3 if necessary will be played on Saturday, May 15th @ 2:00 pm – Whitehouse High School Softball Field.

12 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Lots of soph/fresh on varsity last yr. Wanting to see who will start in many positions. 

I'm interested too, especially that WR y'all had on JV last year. QB is interesting too.

Ours is Monday. 

King has really dipped into that talented 2024 class. Longview will start 3 sophomores in the secondary for the first time that I can remember. Another could start at DE. MAYBE C too but at worst, he will be 2nd string C as sophomore.

Then of course, there's 2024 RB Taylor Tatum who is projected to be amongst the top 2024 RBs in the state, maybe nation. 

So, up to 6 sophomores could start for Longview this fall.

The crazy thing is the JV will still be solid. That's how loaded that class is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

I'm interested too, especially that WR y'all had on JV last year. QB is interesting too.

Ours is Monday. 

King has really dipped into that talented 2024 class. Longview will start 3 sophomores in the secondary for the first time that I can remember. Another could start at DE. MAYBE C too but at worst, he will be 2nd string C as sophomore.

Then of course, there's 2024 RB Taylor Tatum who is projected to be amongst the top 2024 RBs in the state, maybe nation. 

So, up to 6 sophomores could start for Longview this fall.

The crazy thing is the JV will still be solid. That's how loaded that class is.

yea, he is a very good kid.  Wondering what coach Holmes does with him.

King going young.  Got to put the best kids on the field regardless of grade.

6 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Got to put the best kids on the field regardless of grade.

Yep. Been waiting on him to do it.

Don't get me wrong, he's started sophomores before but no more than 1 or 2 on a squad.

But there have been years where I thought more youth couldve started, 2016 definitely being at the top of that list.

• Like 1

AREA ROUND BASEBALL PLAYOFF MATCH-UPS

Hallsville (24-7) Vs. Joshua (14-14-1)
Game 1: Thursday 7:30 at Mike Carter Field, Tyler
Game 2: Friday 7:30 at Mike Carter Field, Tyler
Game 3: Saturday 2PM at South Grand Prairie HS if needed
SERIES TIED  (0-0)

Marshall (16-13) Vs. Highland Park (21-12)
Game 1:  Thursday 7:30 at Marshall
Game 2:  Friday 7:30 at Highland Park (NO FAN ATTENDANCE ALLOWED; ONLINE ONLY)
Game 3:  Saturday 1PM at Marshall if needed
SERIES TIED (0-0)

Nacogdoches (24-8) Vs. Corsicana (24-8)
Game 1:  Thursday 7PM at Nac
Game 2:  Saturday 1PM at Corsicana
Game 3:  30 mins after game 2 if needed
SERIES TIED (0-0)

Texas (17-7-1) Vs.  Ennis (17-12-2)
Game 1: Thursday 7PM at Midlothian  
Game 2:  Friday 7PM at Texas Hogh
Game 3: Saturday 12PM at Royse City if needed

SERIES TIED (0-0)

--------------------------------------------

REGIONAL QUARTER FINAL SOFTBALL PLAYOFF MATCH-UPS

Sulphur Springs (26-3) Vs. Huntsville (28-5)
Game 1: Sulphur Springs wins 1-0
Game 2: Friday 6pm At Rusk HS
Game 3: Saturday 2PM at Whitehouse HS if needed
SERIES LEADS SERIES (1-0)

Hallsville (19-6-1) Vs. Royse CIty (28-2)
Game 1: Hallsville wins  3-2
Game 2: Friday 7PM at Royse CIty
Game 3:  Saturday 3PM at Grand Saline HS
HALLSVILLE LEADS SERIES (1-0)

The Hallsville Bobcats should be a heavy favorite over Joshua.  The Bobcats have the acumen to be a deep playoff team most seasons.  Their late season stumbles to Sulphur Springs, Marshall, and Longview could be concerning... .but it's hard to bet against the Bobcats in crunch time.  I think they take it in two.

The Marshall/HP series seems intriguing.  It appears Marshall has found their groove, going 7-1 their last 8 games.... including wins over state ranked Hallsville, Texas High (who is still playing) and state ranked Whitehouse.  However... Highland Park has a reputation of being well-coached, disciplined, and full of athletes.  Don't expect a lot of mistakes by the Scots.  My brain is saying HP in 3.  My heart/homer pick takes the Mavs in 3.  

The Nac/Corsicana match-up might be the most interesting.  Both have had solid seasons. Both are rich in baseball tradition.  This could really go either way as both of them are 24-win clubs.  This should be a great series.  It;s truly a draw.  I think either could win in 3 games.

Texas High/Ennis also looks great on paper.  The Tigers are very sound.  Not flashy.  Don't make many mistakes.  They just beat a state ranked Lufkin team with tons of history. But the Tigers have lots of history too.  I'm taking them in 3.  But Ennis could make this interesting.