2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

43 minutes ago, TigerNahum17 said:

I guess it really does not matter what some schools do to better their facilities, people are always going to have negative reactions and comments. For those questioning WHY? MP is going to turf for their baseball and softball fields, here are some of my thoughts and observations:

1. MP is in East Texas where the weather goes from snow, to rain to hail to 100 degrees ALL IN THE SAME WEEK!

Good Luck getting early season games in before district starts, and if the season is like 2021, good luck getting games in during a "monsoon" week if you are on a grass field.

2. MP has ONLY one softball field and one baseball field to practice and play on, therefore the surfaces have no recovery time.

I would contend most schools around us only have one field each as well, but playing and practicing on the same field day after day with 3 teams puts a strain on the playing surfaces.

3.  Upkeep and maintenance will be less time consuming/costly.

Coaches are mostly responsible for the upkeep/maintenance on our grass fields.

4. If you build it, they will come! - This is just a BONUS in my opinion.

MP is in a great median location for neutral games. i.e. playoffs, etc. New surfaces mean more availability.

(Just ask Marshall about having new facilities.)

5. Good schools with up-to-date facilities in an advantages location means greater availability for industry to move in. Things industry looks at is 1. solid place for growth, 2. easy access (roads, railroads, Interstates) 3. school systems with good facilities. (attractive qualities bring more looks)

For all the schools updating their facilities, I applaud you and the foresight to take care of your schools and athletic programs!

Trust me... with Turf... you can have a damned Monsoon until 3:00PM, and play at 4:00.  It will be money well spent in the end.

1 hour ago, TigerNahum17 said:

MP is in a great median location for neutral games. i.e. playoffs, etc. New surfaces mean more availability.

Ain't this the dang truth. The amount of playoff games that Longview has played in the city of Mount Pleasant across all of it's sports is unreal. MP is a great neutral spot.

Going turf makes complete sense on every level imo. No idea why someone would complain about that at all.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TigerNahum17 said:

I guess it really does not matter what some schools do to better their facilities, people are always going to have negative reactions and comments. For those questioning WHY? MP is going to turf for their baseball and softball fields, here are some of my thoughts and observations:

1. MP is in East Texas where the weather goes from snow, to rain to hail to 100 degrees ALL IN THE SAME WEEK!

Good Luck getting early season games in before district starts, and if the season is like 2021, good luck getting games in during a "monsoon" week if you are on a grass field.

2. MP has ONLY one softball field and one baseball field to practice and play on, therefore the surfaces have no recovery time.

I would contend most schools around us only have one field each as well, but playing and practicing on the same field day after day with 3 teams puts a strain on the playing surfaces.

3.  Upkeep and maintenance will be less time consuming/costly.

Coaches are mostly responsible for the upkeep/maintenance on our grass fields.

(Just ask Marshall about having new facilities.)

5. Good schools with up-to-date facilities in an advantages location means greater availability for industry to move in. Things industry looks at is 1. solid place for growth, 2. easy access (roads, railroads, Interstates) 3. school systems with good facilities. (attractive qualities bring more looks)

For all the schools updating their facilities, I applaud you and the foresight to take care of your schools and athletic programs!

People are just stupid.

Turf is such a time saver for coaches, and you always have a quality playing surface to practice and play on.