The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

3 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm hoping for a somewhat regular season.   Back with teams I know something about and we do have more returning talent that the last few years.  I'm hopefully optimistic which is something I haven't been in about 5 years.   Hope what I see as potential pans out.  I was more than a little surprised last year. If we hadn't lost QB for several games it would have looked much better on paper.

Some people I work with in Texarkana are also quietly optimistic about this team and the drop.  Someone told me that the best thing that happened was the Lufkin win...not because you won a playoff game, but because the good kids are not transferring out and it has a big shot in the arm to the players and coaches.  I can't wait to see what they field this year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

-----

I'm optimistic about the 2020 season too for Marshall.  We have tons coming back. 

Our defense should be nasty good.  

Offense has tons of talent back.  Should have a great backfield.... and a strong corps of WR's returning.

Just that one question mark to fill..... which I hear is going to be a fierce competition.  

Great news.

Excited about the season!

I honestly am happy about Griedl....I think he is bringing a championship atmosphere to Marshall.  I hope for a good game with Longview this year.  It would be great for your program and be another test for Longview early in the season.  I think the new oline and QB need to face as many tough tests as they can.  It would be good for the players and the fans.

4 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I honestly am happy about Griedl....I think he is bringing a championship atmosphere to Marshall.  I hope for a good game with Longview this year.  It would be great for your program and be another test for Longview early in the season.  I think the new oline and QB need to face as many tough tests as they can.  It would be good for the players and the fans.

We're going to be tested early.

Open with New Caney...who was (10-1) last season. 

Then Longview...who was (11-1)

Then defending State Champion Carthage (16-0).

(37-2) combined. 

Not sure anyone in 5A Div II can claim a lineup like that to open the season.

And I agree..... i think Griedl has assembled a fantastic staff.  And what he's helped get done in the matter of facilities is nothing short of miraculous.

Time to take the next step on the field.  

We're going to be tested early.

Open with New Caney...who was (10-1) last season. 

Then Longview...who was (11-1)

Then defending State Champion Carthage (16-0).

(37-2) combined. 

Not sure anyone in 5A Div II can claim a lineup like that to open the season.

And I agree..... i think Griedl has assembled a fantastic staff.  And what he's helped get done in the matter of facilities is nothing short of miraculous.

Time to take the next step on the field.  

When he weathered the storm last year after the QB left the team, and still made big changes, I knew the guy was something special...I have never met him but the way people talk about him reminds me of how Jeff Traylor, Andy Evans and a few others changed the hearts and minds of the community...going to take some time but you guys are on the right track

8 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Going to be a GREAT facility for JT!!!🦁🦁🦁

I took some pictures of the field house. But, for whatever reason I can't upload them. They got a lot more work done for the athletic complex. It looks like it is going to be 100 yards long. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, VonG said:

I took some pictures of the field house. But, for whatever reason I can't upload them. They got a lot more work done for the athletic complex. It looks like it is going to be 100 yards long. 

Go to images and see if that works. BTW, JT has 53 players on varsity this year. 4 freshman will be on varsity and good move-in from Lubbock. 

15 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Go to images and see if that works. BTW, JT has 53 players on varsity this year. 4 freshman will be on varsity and good move-in from Lubbock. 

Somebody from Lubbock moved to Tyler? 

38 minutes ago, VonG said:

Somebody from Lubbock moved to Tyler? 

54 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

What position? 

5ad2-618142214.webp

Already discussed but a nice FYI look from DCTF.

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I think his dad is a new coach at JT. 

Wanna say Eaton started LB as a freshman on that New Deal team that played in the state game back in '18. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Wanna say Eaton started LB as a freshman on that New Deal team that played in the state game back in '18. 

ok cool. So that means he has a couple of yrs left.  JT has to replace all of the LBs from last yr...so hopefully he can fill the void. 

21 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

I'm guessing Woods little brother and the RB from Moore are two of them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I'm guessing Woods little brother and the RB from Moore are two of them.

Jace is another one. I forgot who Cujonation83 said was the other one.

Supposedly the qb from Moore is not at Whitehouse anymore. I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, VonG said:

Jace is another one. I forgot who Cujonation83 said was the other one.

Supposedly the qb from Moore is not at Whitehouse anymore. I'll leave it at that.

wow!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VonG said:

Supposedly the qb from Moore is not at Whitehouse anymore.

Breaks my heart. 🙄🙄🙄😂😂😂😂

Coach G getting some love 

Coach G getting some love 

As well as East Texas. 

• Like 1