2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

Man, desperately hoping covid allows me to see a matchup this fall that I was dying to see. It wasnt even a varsity matchup either.

Longview 9th vs John Tyler 9th.

Two loaded classes. Highland Park had a good 9th group coming in too.

Longview's incoming 9th was already loaded, and has since then added pieces including a big time addition 2024 RB/S Taylor Tatum who is already 5'10 185.

This was a backfield that already had 2024 RB Willie Nelson out of Judson MS, who looks like a future P5 player himself. 

I can say with confidence, Longview was going to field the best 9th group they've fielded in a good while. Hopefully we'll still get to see it.

• Like 1
On 7/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, ANTI said:

Man, desperately hoping covid allows me to see a matchup this fall that I was dying to see. It wasnt even a varsity matchup either.

Longview 9th vs John Tyler 9th.

Two loaded classes. Highland Park had a good 9th group coming in too.

Longview's incoming 9th was already loaded, and has since then added pieces including a big time addition 2024 RB/S Taylor Tatum who is already 5'10 185.

This was a backfield that already had 2024 RB Willie Nelson out of Judson MS, who looks like a future P5 player himself. 

I can say with confidence, Longview was going to field the best 9th group they've fielded in a good while. Hopefully we'll still get to see it.

Another kid in the Longview area finding their way to Longview High...lol

JT ninth grade should be ok, but talk is that a few of them will be on varsity.  May not be the matchup we orginally thought but we will see. 

I think Lufkin has a good group coming in too. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT ninth grade should be ok, but talk is that a few of them will be on varsity.  May not be the matchup we orginally thought but we will see. 

I think Lufkin has a good group coming in too. 

Lufkin has a great group of kids moving up the next few years that will be equal to the talent we had back in the 2004-2005 era.  Probably will do it without many transfers, our geographical location doesn't lend itself to many transfers.  How they produce on the field is another story.  That is an unknown.  I've seen super talented teams all over the State never win many State crowns,.  DeSoto is a good example.  Lufkin and Longview are maybe two others.  Some JT fans may feel the same way.  

You just hope the chemistry is there when they all get together.

Hellas has started installing the turf at Rose Stadium today. I have a funny feeling that it will not include JT and Lee name. Just a hunch. I could definitely be wrong. I just think Tisd knew the names of the schools would not go away. So they were already ahead of the curve. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

Hellas has started installing the turf at Rose Stadium today. I have a funny feeling that it will not include JT and Lee name. Just a hunch. I could definitely be wrong. I just think Tisd knew the names of the schools would not go away. So they were already ahead of the curve. 

Probably should just go with Lions and Red Raiders in the End Zone and the Rose Stadium symbol in the middle of the field.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

IF, I were a season ticket holder in Marshall, I would not be happy about this decision.   Have been a season ticket holder in Lufkin for 32 years,. Fortunately,  Lufkin ISD is not taking this route.  However, it will be different too.  We will probably only be allowed 1/2 our normal ticket allotment,  seating will be spread out in different locations than normal this year, but we will have tickets somewhere in the stands.  Of course, all based on what is allowed by the State come first game in September.    Next year, like Marshall,  it will be back to our normal seating options.  No doubt your district will get some blow back on this decision.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

IF, I were a season ticket holder in Marshall, I would not be happy about this decision.   Have been a season ticket holder in Lufkin for 32 years,. Fortunately,  Lufkin ISD is not taking this route.  However, it will be different too.  We will probably only be allowed 1/2 our normal ticket allotment,  seating spread out probably in be  a different location than normal this year, but we will have tickets somewhere in the stands.  Of course, all based on what is allowed by the State come first game in September.    Next year, like Marshall,  it will be back to our normal seating options.  No doubt your district will get some blow back on this decision.

I’m getting to the point of being OK with sitting on the visitors side or on one of the light poles as long as their is a game. 

I just want to play.  No matter where I’m sitting. 

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m getting to the point of being OK with sitting on the visitors side or on one of the light poles as long as their is a game. 

I just want to play.  No matter where I’m sitting. 

Amen to that.

With some junior colleges are moving football to the winter/spring of 2021.......

Would something like this work for UIL if they had to????

Basketball- January to March (shorten the non-district portion of the schedule.  Jump in to district pla quick)
Volleyball- Jan to March
Football- Feb to May
Soccer- April to June
Baseball/Softball- May to July

---------------

The biggest problem with any form of football in the spring is how it impacts the fall of 2021.....

Could be a really short turn around for teams that play late into the playoffs.  Would only give a few months off between the two seasons...... that could be an issue for some. 

But other than that..... seems odd...but workable

Thoughts.....

• Thanks 1

I posted this on another thread.... what do ya'll think?

It could buy us some more time perhaps.

Who says we have to be done before christmas????  NFL and NCAA play through the holidays.

Week 1: October 9th
Week 11: Dec 18 (end of regular season)
BYE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS
Bi-District: Jan 2 (everyone must play on Saturday)
Area: Jan 7-9
Region Semis: Jan 14-16
Quarterfinals: Jan 21-23
Semifinals: Jan 28-30
State Championships: Feb 3-6

thoughts?  

18 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Does anyone have the football schedules for Texas High  and Liberty Eylau?

5A - 9   Texarkana Texas (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/27  at Tyler John Tyler (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  vs Arkansas High, AR   (0-0) 7:30 PM
9/11  vs Forney (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
9/18  Open      
9/25  at Mount Pleasant (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/2  at Hallsville (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/9  at Marshall (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/16  vs Longview Pine Tree (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/23  at Jacksonville (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/30  at Nacogdoches (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
11/6 

vs Whitehouse (0-0)*  

(0-0)

7:30 PM

19 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Does anyone have the football schedules for Texas High  and Liberty Eylau?

4A - 8   Texarkana Liberty-Eylau  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/27  vs Longview Pine Tree (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  Open      
9/11  at Jefferson (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
9/18  vs Atlanta (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
9/25  vs Waxahachie Life (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/2  at Van (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/9  at Paris North Lamar (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/16  vs Longview Spring Hill (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/23  at Gilmer (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
10/30  at Texarkana Pleasant Grove (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
11/6  vs Pittsburg (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:30 PM
On 7/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, Mavchamp said:

Who says we have to be done before christmas????  NFL and NCAA play through the holidays.

BYE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS

thoughts?  

Excellent! Absolutely would work! 

On 7/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, Mavchamp said:

BYE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS

thoughts?  

What is the soccer season? Stadium might be in use is only issue. I don’t follow soccer  other than that this would be a great idea.

1 hour ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

What is the soccer season? Stadium might be in use is only issue. I don’t follow soccer  other than that this would be a great idea.

Soccer could start immediately after the regular season ended. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe in Marshall. But Texas High will be playing a Bi-District playoff game that week at Grim Stadium!! Soccer have to wait a week in Texarkana!!🤣😂

On 7/13/2020 at 10:34 AM, JTFAN99 said:

I cant even lie, that group is blessed.

Grant is going to end up possibly having more talent around him than Haynes did, and that says alot.

• Like 1

I’m hoping for the new bleachers to be red.  But either way... it’s going to be fantastic.  

If rumors are true for that front wall are true.... wowzers.   Can’t wait to see it.  

Going to be a phenomenal facility when it’s all done.  

11 hours ago, HKS85 said:

Maybe in Marshall. But Texas High will be playing a Bi-District playoff game that week at Grim Stadium!! Soccer have to wait a week in Texarkana!!🤣😂

Lmao.   We plan to be hosting too.  

Soccer can play Thursday or Saturday. 

On 7/17/2020 at 5:48 PM, Mavchamp said:

With some junior colleges are moving football to the winter/spring of 2021.......

Would something like this work for UIL if they had to????

Basketball- January to March (shorten the non-district portion of the schedule.  Jump in to district pla quick)
Volleyball- Jan to March
Football- Feb to May
Soccer- April to June
Baseball/Softball- May to July

---------------

The biggest problem with any form of football in the spring is how it impacts the fall of 2021.....

Could be a really short turn around for teams that play late into the playoffs.  Would only give a few months off between the two seasons...... that could be an issue for some. 

But other than that..... seems odd...but workable

Thoughts.....

This would work.  One of the best solutions I've seen. Texas winters can be cold in spurts, maybe a few days at a time.  Soccer could still play on Tuesdays and Friday's, other dates that interfere with football could be worked out with some Saturday and Wednesday games.   Not a problem in Lufkin, they have their own soccer stadium, Jase Magers Field.