The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Posted Images

3 hours ago, VonG said:

Just as I figured. Lee and JT name won't be at midfield. I knew Tisd was somewhat smart. They knew the name change of Lee would not die down. The field is not done but they do have the Rose at midfield. 

What are they going to do?

On 6/15/2020 at 7:43 PM, Mavchamp said:

I have full confidence in our staff.  And the number of returning starters is encouraging. 

But like you.... top 20 is a reach until I know we are settled on QB. 

Mav, what are your thoughts on Jake Grediel staying in Marshall long term, say 5-6 more years.  Just asking, because he is working hard to build and improve facilities and such there in Marshall.

10 hours ago, VonG said:

Just as I figured. Lee and JT name won't be at midfield. I knew Tisd was somewhat smart. They knew the name change of Lee would not die down. The field is not done but they do have the Rose at midfield. 

I kinda feel like they thought the name change issue would stop when they included JT to the mix.  They didn't know that people were willing to change both.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I kinda feel like they thought the name change issue would stop when they included JT to the mix.  They didn't know that people were willing to change both.

They been having the turf sitting at Rose Stadium even before the name change came up.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Mav, what are your thoughts on Jake Grediel staying in Marshall long term, say 5-6 more years.  Just asking, because he is working hard to build and improve facilities and such there in Marshall.

I’ve learned to stop predicting these sort of things.  

i would like to think he’s building long term.  Grow us into an Aledo, Ennis, Carthage, etc etc.  Thats the dream.  

Hard to say though with 2 classifications above us now.  Division I and 6A have their advantages (and disadvantages). 

MISD is doing everything possible to make this a long term job.  The pay is there.  The athletic facilities will be 5 star across the board in less than a year.

One thing really remains:  consistent annual winning and deep playoff runs and contend for state titles.  

We’ve won 4 district titles in the last 5 years.  Had two region semi-final appearances.  Time to take the next step.

I would love to have someone build a legend here.  Like Gordon Wood. Pete Shotwell.  

But the bright lights of the big city of 6A and their wares draw them out of the piney woods it seems. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I’ve learned to stop predicting these sort of things.  

i would like to think he’s building long term.  Grow us into an Aledo, Ennis, Carthage, etc etc.  Thats the dream.  

Hard to say though with 2 classifications above us now.  Division I and 6A have their advantages (and disadvantages). 

MISD is doing everything possible to make this a long term job.  The pay is there.  The athletic facilities will be 5 star across the board in less than a year.

One thing really remains:  consistent annual winning and deep playoff runs and contend for state titles.  

We’ve won 4 district titles in the last 5 years.  Had two region semi-final appearances.  Time to take the next step.

I would love to have someone build a legend here.  Like Gordon Wood. Pete Shotwell.  

But the bright lights of the big city of 6A and their wares draw them out of the piney woods it seems. 

If he has a wife, employ her as a high paid consultant or school job and he won't go anywhere....

On 7/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, nacdragon07 said:

Nac’s week 1 is still up in the air, we lost Kilgore idk what Allman is going to do we might only have a 9 game schedule.

Nac has replaced Kilgore with Greenville, game will be at Dragon Stadium September 25th

Nac updated schedule

Week 1-September 25th-Greenville

Week 2-October [email protected]

Week 3-October 9th-John Tyler

Week 4-October 16th-BYE

Week 5-October 23rd-Whitehouse

Week 6-October [email protected] Tree

Week 7-November [email protected] Pleasant

Week 8-November 13th-Jacksonville

Week 9-November [email protected]

Week 10-November 27th-Texas High

Week 11-December [email protected]

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Nac has replaced Kilgore with Greenville, game will be at Dragon Stadium September 25th

Nac updated schedule

Week 1-September 25th-Greenville

Week 2-October [email protected]

Week 3-October 9th-John Tyler

Week 4-October 16th-BYE

Week 5-October 23rd-Whitehouse

Week 6-October [email protected] Tree

Week 7-November [email protected] Pleasant

Week 8-November 13th-Jacksonville

Week 9-November [email protected]

Week 10-November 27th-Texas High

Week 11-December [email protected]

How is Nac football looking this season?

23 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

How is Nac football looking this season?

Top 2 running backs returning, we have position battle at QB between last years back up and senior starting safety and the little brother(Junior) of last years starter. I think the senior will win the job, he has done a lot of winning in Middle school and when his group were all freshman. We have a Jones brother who should start at safety this year and one that will be a freshman. 

Most predictions I have seen have us finishing 5th, so we should compete for the 4th playoff spot. Turnovers just killed us last year, so fixing that would have changed the outcome to 4-5 games last year. It wasn't just the fact that we turned it over it was when!! 

Our freshman team is going to be STACKED!!! One of the middle schools had a great 8th grade team last year and the top players from the other middle school should mix well for a very good fish squad. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Top 2 running backs returning, we have position battle at QB between last years back up and senior starting safety and the little brother(Junior) of last years starter. I think the senior will win the job, he has done a lot of winning in Middle school and when his group were all freshman. We have a Jones brother who should start at safety this year and one that will be a freshman. 

Most predictions I have seen have us finishing 5th, so we should compete for the 4th playoff spot. Turnovers just killed us last year, so fixing that would have changed the outcome to 4-5 games last year. It wasn't just the fact that we turned it over it was when!! 

Our freshman team is going to be STACKED!!! One of the middle schools had a great 8th grade team last year and the top players from the other middle school should mix well for a very good fish squad. 

Nac had a good freshman group 3 years ago but it didn't materialize like I thought it would. I'm going to try and make it when JT goes down there this season. 

48 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Nac had a good freshman group 3 years ago but it didn't materialize like I thought it would. I'm going to try and make it when JT goes down there this season. 

I can’t remember the Last time we beat Cujo

1 hour ago, CUJONATION83 said:

That group made the playoffs as Sophomores and then last year fell off a bit. 

15 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

I can’t remember the Last time we beat Cujo

Its only happened 5 times since 1914, we are 5-43-4 lifetime against CUJO.

1989 was our last win 17-10 even our 1992 team couldn't beat them,They tied 10-10 that year. 

3 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

That group made the playoffs as Sophomores and then last year fell off a bit. 

Know the feeling. Between graduation and other issues, JT had a huge falling off in 2019. I could see us being better if the qb situation was better. JT has some VERY promising underclassmen. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Its only happened 5 times since 1914, we are 5-43-4 lifetime against CUJO.

1989 was our last win 17-10 even our 1992 team couldn't beat them,They tied 10-10 that year. 

That old 12-5A district was brutal. We wouldn’t even sniff the playoffs if that was our current district. JT,Longview,Lufkin,Tyler Lee and Marshall. I hope we do better this year and make the playoffs and win a game or two. It would go a long way for Allman.

25 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

That old 12-5A district was brutal. We wouldn’t even sniff the playoffs if that was our current district. JT,Longview,Lufkin,Tyler Lee and Marshall. I hope we do better this year and make the playoffs and win a game or two. It would go a long way for Allman.

REL is the only one we have had any success against. We are still under .500 against them but not near as lopsided as we are vs the rest of them. 

Well to make the playoff we have to figure out how to beat WH and MP-we have lost 4 straight to WH. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

REL is the only one we have had any success against. We are still under .500 against them but not near as lopsided as we are vs the rest of them. 

Well to make the playoff we have to figure out how to beat WH and MP-we have lost 4 straight to WH. 

Didn’t realize that. I believe the MP loss last year was the first one. 

37 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Didn’t realize that. I believe the MP loss last year was the first one. 

We have found ways to lose to WH the last 4 years, blowing leads late that have cost us playoff spots.

The loss to MP last year was our first loss to them since 1977, of course we have only played them 6 times since then.  1998,1999,2008,2009,2018 and 2019. MP is one of the few schools we have a winning record against. We are 10-5 lifetime against MP.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

We have found ways to lose to WH the last 4 years, blowing leads late that have cost us playoff spots.

The loss to MP last year was our first loss to them since 1977, of course we have only played them 6 times since then.  1998,1999,2008,2009,2018 and 2019. MP is one of the few schools we have a winning record against. We are 10-5 lifetime against MP.

That WH game this past year was stolen from us. If we were home that would have been a win. They know they got away with one.

WH needs to build more seats in that stadium.

8 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

That WH game this past year was stolen from us. If we were home that would have been a win. They know they got away with one.

We wouldn't have gotten that call at home either:)

7 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Maybe the 500 million dollar man from KC will give them more money.

I thought I read they are redoing the visitor side this summer. 

10 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Maybe the 500 million dollar man from KC will give them more money.

I’m sure they already have the money there to add more seats if they wanted to.