The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

4 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

I agree. Dropping helps. Schools like Henderson had to drop to finally win a title. 

Yes most schools benefited from that. Henderson probably the only one who saw instant success from it. Some programs take time but get it done .

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Highland Park has just had a rough 2020. First they get put in a district with Longview and JT. Then they have to drop a game lmao. 

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Yes most schools benefited from that. Henderson probably the only one who saw instant success from it. Some programs take time but get it done .

School up the road from Henderson won it the year they dropped. 

4 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

School up the road from Henderson won it the year they dropped. 

Which one? Didn’t realize that. More often than not schools that drop find success . Doesn’t usually happen when moving up unless been in that classification before. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lindale sees significant success.Longview , Texas High  Van , Carthage well (any class lol) , West Rusk, Tenaha ect.. should be contenders. 

On 4/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, Raiderfan7000 said:

Exactly the task seems like an obvious mismatch. Team changes year to year but 3-8 can’t instill a bunch of confidence against a Traditionally Great program .

When scheduling was made you know only one that was taken notice was Longview. Respect does that . I am pulling for JT to change that perception.

Hope it happens for JT. Gotta find a QB

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Aledo said:

Thats the way it should be. Programs should always strive to get better and consistently make the next level. 

To tell you truth some JT fans are ok with being mediocre. Hinge why Holmes is still the coach.. Hince why we will barley make the playoffs again smh. 

• Thumbs Down 1
21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t think just making the playoffs satisfies Marshall.... or Lufkin... or...or JT... Texas High.

I think we all have higher expectations than just making it to the playoffs.  

Sure.... there are some programs that are just happy to qualify in the district.  And others that don’t even have that expectation yet. 

Bar is set higher for others.  Just like I think we all long to be at HP’s and Longview’s level.  

True. Anything less than a DEEP playoff run for LV, LUFKIN, MARSHALL, and a SELECT few JT fans is disappointing. 

• Thumbs Down 1
21 hours ago, Aledo said:

I think you or someone else said it before but any idea how many they return? 

4 on offense...

SR QB Rian Cellers (committed to Mississippi St for baseball), SR WR Caden Miller, SR LG Demarcus Day, SR RT Hayden Harrell

7 on defense (4-2-5)...

SR DE Jaylen Green, SR DE/OLB Clayton Smith, SR LB Jackson Halter, JR LB Javarous Tyson, SR S Caleb Arnold, JR S Darrin Finley, SR DB Lajontae Wrightner

Smith and Arnold getting the most FBS attention.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Hope it happens for JT. Gotta find a QB

Can't agree more! Believe it or not , JT would be a dangerous team with a steady qb, but I see playoffs this season. '21 JT is going to be LOADED!

18 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

True. Anything less than a DEEP playoff run for LV, LUFKIN, MARSHALL, and a SELECT few JT fans is disappointing. 

What do you consider a deep run?

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

What do you consider a deep run?

Fourth round and higher. 

7 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Can't agree more! Believe it or not , JT would be a dangerous team with a steady qb, but I see playoffs this season. '21 JT is going to be LOADED!

I know!! I pray to god that we get one this season cause 21’ will most likely be a state championship run. Then the QB will already be ready for the run. 

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 7:37 PM, Eagleborn said:

I agree. Dropping helps. Schools like Henderson had to drop to finally win a title. 

Can we drop to maybe 3A:)

I consider the third round a deep run.  That’s top 4 in your region. 

4th round is historical. 

5th is rare. 

Anything after that is once in a lifetime. 

I know how blessed we are as Maverick fans.  

Just in my lifetime I’ve seen a state championship, two state runner ups, a semifinals, couple of quarterfinals, and I’m willing to bet 5-6 region semis.  

And I refuse to belittle those first and second round losses.  Some of those seasons were amazing fun  just didn’t end how we wanted them to  

Very blessed and grateful   

And craving more!!! 

• Like 1

Thanksgiving is my milestone for a deep run. Its a special thing knowing a lot of people arent playing anymore and you have to cut back on seconds to avoid the food coma because you are still in the tournament. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Thanksgiving is my milestone for a deep run. Its a special thing knowing a lot of people arent playing anymore and you have to cut back on seconds to avoid the food coma because you are still in the tournament. 

I think that would be the third round most seasons. 

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

Personally, I shoot for that playing in December mark.

It depends on the season, tbh, and how it's going. 2016 I had no expectations and just wanted to win a playoff game vs 2017 where I thought we had the potential to make it to December vs 2018 where I expected to be in at least the Semis or at State.

Generally though, if you make it to December football, you've had an extremely memorable season that can be looked upon well 5-10-15 years down the road.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I know!! I pray to god that we get one this season cause 21’ will most likely be a state championship run. Then the QB will already be ready for the run. 

How y'all gonna say that when you haven't even been to state in 20 years, and complain constantly about Holmes? lol.

With the region we're in, I don't think any team can be making claim of a State Championship run personally. But really.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, Aledo said:

LP has championship expectations?? They have had a rough go at it if they are aiming that high. '98-'05 seems to be their prime. Making deep runs year after year. The rest of their playoff history is not great. 48-39-3 overall. 

'06- 2nd round

'07- 1st round

''08- 2nd round

'09-'11- 1st round

'12- 3rd round

'13-'16- 1st round

'17- 4th round

'18- 2nd round

'19- 1st round

For what it's worth, with the drop down in 2018 after how the '17 season ended, I fully believe most Lufkin fans had State Championship expectations. Maybe not as many in '19 after how '18 ended, but there were definitely still a good number.

Results have gone their way post season wise recently. I don't think Quick is the guy to get it done for them, but my opinion on that wasn't asked.

I do think they've more than had the talent to go much further in the post season than they have recently. Especially last season.

14 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

People don't believe it, but JT has alot of potential(yeah I know how that can be) coming up. Hoping for a high school football season this fall. 

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I don't think Quick is the guy to get it done for them, but my opinion on that wasn't asked.

I do think they've more than had the talent to go much further in the post season than they have recently. Especially last season.

Unless there is a change in the LISD leadership he isn't going anywhere unless he decides to retire or take a position elsewhere. He has some higher ups in the district that defend him and will keep him in place. I think there is a fear that replacing him would actually make things worse. Right now they can point to 27 straight years of playoffs (I think that was the number I saw). Not a lot of program can say that anywhere in the state. 

New turf should be completed in about 3 weeks or so. 

The floor to ceiling renovation of Mav gym will be underway soon.  

Stay tuned! 

AC294BCF-E12F-40CA-8B43-C64771084972.jpeg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

For what it's worth, with the drop down in 2018 after how the '17 season ended, I fully believe most Lufkin fans had State Championship expectations. Maybe not as many in '19 after how '18 ended, but there were definitely still a good number.

Results have gone their way post season wise recently. I don't think Quick is the guy to get it done for them, but my opinion on that wasn't asked.

I was very high on Lufkin also going into the '18 season. I'd have to go back to look but I think I projected them to make state also. Just made sense. But Lufkin has let me down several times recently when I've thought they would make a good run. I just lost any trust I had in them. 

46 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I was very high on Lufkin also going into the '18 season. I'd have to go back to look but I think I projected them to make state also. Just made sense. But Lufkin has let me down several times recently when I've thought they would make a good run. I just lost any trust I had in them. 

I'm beating a dead horse, but the coaching staff there just isnt consistent playoff run material...especially on the offensive side of the ball where there is no creativity whatsoever. That OL was probably the worst OL that I saw in football last year.

They seem to be lacking the two big C's: Culture and Confidence.

They've been losing in the first or second round for a while now but that loss to Texas High last year, at home has to be the lowest of lows. Talent is there, but I dont think that program ever does anything amazing again under that staff.

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

I'm beating a dead horse, but the coaching staff there just isnt consistent playoff run material...especially on the offensive side of the ball where there is no creativity whatsoever. 

They seem to be lacking the two big C's: Culture and Confidence.

They've been losing in the first or second round for a while now but that loss to Texas High last year, at home has to be the lowest of lows. I dont think that program ever does anything amazing again under that staff.

Whats crazy is Lufkin seem to have good games with yall early in the season but then gets bounced early.