The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

So far this team is exceeding my best expectations EXCEPT in the passing game.  The strange thing is I thought that would be our biggest strength.  This is an area we absolutely must improve in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

I think what frustrates me most about our annual game with Longview isn’t losing the game. 

Its the fact that annually..... it’s generally our poorest performance of the season.   Hands down.   

Some of that is credited to Longview just being that good annually. 

But its astonishing.  Annually it’s the game we have the most penalties, most turnovers, give up the longest plays, have the worst tackling.  You can just count on it. 

We are a total disaster annually Vs them  yawn.  

Oh well..... we have a big challenge coming up.  A long road trip to McKinney to face a huge North team.  We need some serious defensive improvement. 

Good luck to the Lobos. 

On to the next. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Did read this correct...Mt Pleasant beat Sherman

Yup

7 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

So far this team is exceeding my best expectations EXCEPT in the passing game.  The strange thing is I thought that would be our biggest strength.  This is an area we absolutely must improve in.  

I agree 100%. My observation is McHenry throws a better ball and Cellers is very elusive. The receivers seem to have the dropises. The way McHenry has handled the offense, I would have him start and put Cellers as a WR. Coach Harrell has developed an offensive line that can control the line of scrimmage for both the run and pass (a weakness in recent years). While Clayton Smith gets the attention on defense, the entire defensive line causes havoc. Hopefully Stewart (RB) was not hurt too bad from his collision with the stands which appeared to me was the result of unnecessary roughness.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Oh well..... we have a big challenge coming up.  A long road trip to McKinney to face a huge North team.  We need some serious defensive improvement. 

I think North graduated a lot from last year including their QB. Their mode of operation last year seemed to be “we are going to out score you”. Get ready for a high scoring track meet.  Good luck to the Mavs.

Texas High over Denison 24-3
Longview over Marshall 53-21
Pine Tree over Crandall 63-28
Mount Pleasant over Sherman 24-7
Whitehouse over Royse City 22-20
Cleburne over Jacksonville 59-8
Nacogdoches over Boswell 26-21
Hallsville Vs. Frisco Memorial

Texas High 2-0
Pine Tree 2-0
Mount Pleasant 2-0
Whitehouse 2-0
Nacogdoches 1-0
Marshall 1-1
Hallsville 0-1
Jacksonville 0-2

-----------------------

Looking ahead:
Marshall Vs McKinney North
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Forney Vs. Texas High
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse
Hallsville Vs. Sulphur Springs
Nederland Vs. Jacksonville
Mt. Pleasant Vs. Greenville
Pine Tree- Bye (face Wyle East on the 16th)

There is a very good chance Texas High, Pine Tree, Whitehouse, and Mount Pleasant could all be (3-0) headed into district play.  Marshall will need a stellar performance to win on the road next week to enter district (2-1).

Jacksonville is struggling thus far.

Will wait to see the outcome of Nac and Hallsville tonight to see how things are going for them.

45 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Nacogdoches Vs. Boswell- Saturday

Texas High 2-0
Pine Tree 2-0
Mount Pleasant 2-0
Whitehouse 2-0
Marshall 1-1
Nacogdoches 0-0
Hallsville 0-1
Jacksonville 0-2

-----------------------

Looking ahead:
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Forney Vs. Texas High
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse

There is a very good chance Texas High, Pine Tree, Whitehouse, and Mount Pleasant could all be (3-0) headed into district play.  Marshall will need a stellar performance to win on the road next week to enter district (2-1).

Jacksonville is struggling thus far.

Will wait to see the outcome of Nac and Hallsville tonight to see how things are going for them.

Pine Tree and Mt. Pleasant shaping up to be a huge game for playoff spot. Whitehouse not impressive this year. 

7 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Pine Tree and Mt. Pleasant shaping up to be a huge game for playoff spot. Whitehouse not impressive this year. 

As of right now I have:

1. Texas High

2. Marshall/Pine Tree

3. Pine Tree/Marshall 

4. Mt. Pleasant/Nac/Whitehouse 

Race for final playoff spot will be a battle. Overall, this district is much improved over the previous couple seasons. 

7 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Whitehouse not impressive this year. 

I say this every year and every year they make the frickin playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Nacogdoches over Boswell 26-21

Texas High 2-0
Pine Tree 2-0
Mount Pleasant 2-0
Whitehouse 2-0
Nacogdoches 1-0
Marshall 1-1
Hallsville 0-1
Jacksonville 0-2

-----------------------

Looking ahead:
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Forney Vs. Texas High
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse

So glad we got to play and to pull that out after having 1 practice since September 24th. We played a scoreless first half but had opportunities to score on the first 4 drives. Dropped a few passes that would have been big gains and maybe scores. The timing was off on the passing game(understandably so). Very happy to start off the season 1-0, on to Tyler High a team we have had ZERO success against in the last 100 years.

10 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

I say this every year and every year they make the frickin playoffs. 

Consistently have a bad district has its benefits. Making the playoffs isn’t an accomplishment , winning in the playoffs is. End of day 10-1 is good as 2-9. 

• Stinks 1
3 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Consistently have a bad district has its benefits. Making the playoffs isn’t an accomplishment , winning in the playoffs is. End of day 10-1 is good as 2-9. 

Eh, I don't buy that one bit. Especially for teams that haven't had much success in their history. But I'd still much rather go 10-1 than 2-9 any day of the week, even if the end result is the same playoff wise.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Eh, I don't buy that one bit. Especially for teams that haven't had much success in their history. But I'd still much rather go 10-1 than 2-9 any day of the week, even if the end result is the same playoff wise.

Agree 100%.

3 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

End of day 10-1 is good as 2-9. 

Such a dumb mentality.

Glad I'm apart of a program that believes in consistency.

• Like 1

The district currently sits at 10-5 thus far.  Much improved over the last few seasons....

BUT.....

Some could question the strength of schedule (or lack thereof) for a couple of teams. 

The age-old question of having a pretty non-district record against cupcakes Vs an ugly non-district record Vs strong teams. 

Build confidence Vs learning through adversity. 

Or finding a balance between the two. 

We will know soon enough. District play is quickly approaching. 

I think all programs believe in consistency just not all can achieve it!! So much goes into building a program from top to bottom! 

Places like Carthage have forgotten this since they have had such success with Surratt. Before Surrat making the playoffs was exciting. Now they take it for granted and expect State or bust. 

I am not taking anything away from Carthage and Coach Surratt he is a great man as well as a great coach.

Places like Nac, the starting point is just winning the games to get in and see what happens. There has to be a starting point.

the problem in Nac isn’t just sports it’s district wide. Rotating door at Supt, principle, teachers and coaches makes it hard. The last 10 years we had to talk coaches out of retirement to take on the program. 

I have said it before, this staff is different, the players act different and are performing better. The results aren’t there yet but they are coming. A few years back being down 14-0 after half turns into a 30 point loss. Now we are at least fighting back to be in the game. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I think all programs believe in consistency just not all can achieve it!! So much goes into building a program from top to bottom! 

Places like Carthage have forgotten this since they have had such success with Surratt. Before Surrat making the playoffs was exciting. Now they take it for granted and expect State or bust. 

I am not taking anything away from Carthage and Coach Surratt he is a great man as well as a great coach.

Places like Nac, the starting point is just winning the games to get in and see what happens. There has to be a starting point.

the problem in Nac isn’t just sports it’s district wide. Rotating door at Supt, principle, teachers and coaches makes it hard. The last 10 years we had to talk coaches out of retirement to take on the program. 

I have said it before, this staff is different, the players act different and are performing better. The results aren’t there yet but they are coming. A few years back being down 14-0 after half turns into a 30 point loss. Now we are at least fighting back to be in the game. 

I know coaches come and go but we need this staff to stay together to build consistency with the high school and middle schools. 

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Correct but making the playoffs should be a expectation rather than a goal .

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Such a dumb mentality.

Glad I'm apart of a program that believes in consistency.

You’re not exactly expecting to make the postseason kinda of big difference so you can’t comprehend the difference.

Side note....former Mavs:

Tahj Washington had his first college TD reception last night for Memphis Vs SMU. 

Savion Williams took some snaps for TCU in their win over Texas. 

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The district currently sits at 10-5 thus far.  Much improved over the last few seasons....

BUT.....

Some could question the strength of schedule (or lack thereof) for a couple of teams. 

The age-old question of having a pretty non-district record against cupcakes Vs an ugly non-district record Vs strong teams. 

I think you have to give everyone a pass on the schedule this year with the delay of the start of the 5A season. Some matchups envisioned in February could not be played and teams had to scramble to get 10 games. Texas High actually improved their schedule dropping Arkansas High and picking up Denison. But it is sad they couple not play their rival game.

23 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I think you have to give everyone a pass on the schedule this year with the delay of the start of the 5A season. Some matchups envisioned in February could not be played and teams had to scramble to get 10 games. Texas High actually improved their schedule dropping Arkansas High and picking up Denison. But it is sad they couple not play their rival game.

Agree. 
But some district mates traded one cupcake schedule for another. 

WEEK 3:
Marshall Vs. McKinney North
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Lufkin Vs. Magnolia West
Forney Vs. Texas
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse
Tyler Legacy Vs. Longview
Mount Pleasant Vs. Greenville
Pine Tree- OFF

44 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

WEEK 3:
Marshall Vs. McKinney North
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Lufkin Vs. Magnolia
Forney Vs. Texas
Corsicana Vs. Whitehouse
Tyler Legacy Vs. Longview
Mount Pleasant Vs. Greenville
Pine Tree- OFF

Marshall at McKinney North - Bulldogs pull away in the second half
Tyler at Nacogdoches - Lions get their first win of the season, but closer than it should be
Lufkin at Magnolia West - Lufkin hasn't impressed me the first two weeks, while West has definitely impressed me. Going with the Stangs.
Forney at Texas High - Tigers continue to roll.
Corsicana at Whitehouse - Going with Cana for the W.
Hallsville at Sulphur Springs - Wildcats take out the Bobcats in a close one
Tyler Legacy at Longview - Lobos pull out the W after the game is close in the first half, Lobo defense brings home the win
Mount Pleasant at Greenville - MP rolls to a 3-0 start
Nederland at Jacksonville - Nederland almost upset Lufkin this past week, going with a huge Nederland victory at the Tomato Bowl
Pine Tree - OFF