2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

11 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

We’ve have hired  winning coaches before. That doesn’t impress me anymore what will though is if a coach can make this program consistent in winning. First place in this district will come down to three teams T high Marshall and pine tree. The rest I believe will be fighting for fourth. 

Just hiring a coach that won somewhere else isn't enough if there is no program base. It starts building in the middle schools and goes up. I don't mean winning in Middle School, I mean the same system and terminology at middle school through high school. Kids running the same offense and defense all the way through. This has not been the case at Nac. 3 years ago the middle school programs ran different offensive systems and different terminology. Then add the revolving door of coaches makes it worse. The athletes are here and they always have been. Harper was the last coach to have any type of system that was sustained all the way through. Then putting the players in the right spot. Our freshman team has some dynamic players at the skilled positions they just haven't played. One of the middles school programs is very talented across the board, we just need to start seeing that start to translate at the Varsity level. 

18 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

We’ve have hired  winning coaches before. That doesn’t impress me anymore what will though is if a coach can make this program consistent in winning. First place in this district will come down to three teams T high Marshall and pine tree. The rest I believe will be fighting for fourth. 

Todd dodge  couldn’t win dripping springs, or any other schools that didn’t have a southlake or a westlake 

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Just hiring a coach that won somewhere else isn't enough if there is no program base. It starts building in the middle schools and goes up. I don't mean winning in Middle School, I mean the same system and terminology at middle school through high school. Kids running the same offense and defense all the way through. This has not been the case at Nac. 3 years ago the middle school programs ran different offensive systems and different terminology. Then add the revolving door of coaches makes it worse. The athletes are here and they always have been. Harper was the last coach to have any type of system that was sustained all the way through. Then putting the players in the right spot. Our freshman team has some dynamic players at the skilled positions they just haven't played. One of the middles school programs is very talented across the board, we just need to start seeing that start to translate at the Varsity level. 

So let me ask this, how is the current coach developing players? Lane at Pine Tree has done a great job. Not sure about other coaches but he has taken us from zero to hero. 

On 10/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mavchamp said:

On the plus side.... the game is in Nac.  I know they have struggled at home of late....BUT....I don't think there's a team in East Texas that gets more home cooking than WH.  Not that I've witnessed at least.

I've heard it from MP fans, PT fans, Jax fans, Nac fans.... and the Mavs experienced it first hand and in all its glory last season.  And I'm just talking about the officiating.  I'm not talking about the extracurriculars that are also widely known and expected from them.

Best of luck to Nac Vs. WH.  I hope ya'll beat the breaks off of them.

I'm just not expecting it.

We are gonna have our hands full with Pine Tree that night.

Your Bias attitude against WH continues to amaze me. You do realize HOME teams don't hand pick the officiating crews they have? There's no such thing as home cooking in 5A football - do more homework. WH has won the last 4 games against Nac (2 Home, 2 Away). They beat Corsicana last weekend and RC (who is very impressive) at their own home turf.

WH lost 17 starters (on the only playoff winning team in the district I might add in '19) and sits at 3-0 with a Soph QB, Soph RB, and Soph #1 target WR. All while have a 3-0 JV team right now. 

Give credit with credits do!

35 minutes ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Your Bias attitude against WH continues to amaze me. You do realize HOME teams don't hand pick the officiating crews they have? There's no such thing as home cooking in 5A football - do more homework. WH has won the last 4 games against Nac (2 Home, 2 Away). They beat Corsicana last weekend and RC (who is very impressive) at their own home turf.

WH lost 17 starters (on the only playoff winning team in the district I might add in '19) and sits at 3-0 with a Soph QB, Soph RB, and Soph #1 target WR. All while have a 3-0 JV team right now. 

I remember all too well cause I played on the team. WH deliberately pulling their starters to throw a game so they could avoid T high. That to me is the reason why I’ll never respect them. 

48 minutes ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Your Bias attitude towards WH continues to amaze me. You do realize HOME teams don't hand pick the officiating crews they have? There's no such thing as home cooking in 5A football - do more homework. WH has won the last 4 games against Nac (2 Home, 2 Away). They beat Corsicana last weekend and RC (who is very impressive) at their own home turf.

I’m not biased against WH. I just don’t like playing them. I don’t like how they play.  And it’s universally discussed by almost all of their district rivals. So.... there must be something to it.  Fans from Nac, PT, MP, Jax, and Marshall... discussed it Ad Nauseam last season.   Everyone’s experience was basically the same.   Hate that fact bothers you.  

And if you think home teams don’t get benefit of the doubt in some calls you are out of your mind  I’ve seen it from every team... including my Mavs.  It happens.  It just seems to happen more in some places than others.  Hate that fact bothers you

If WH does something impressive this season, Ill congratulate them. But I don’t think the rest of the district feels any inclination to be their cheerleaders.  Hate that fact bothers you. 

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m not biased against WH. I just don’t like playing them. I don’t like how they play.  And it’s universally discussed by almost all of their district rivals. So.... there must be something to it.  Fans from Nac, PT, MP, Jax, and Marshall... discussed it Ad Nauseam last season.   Everyone’s experience was basically the same.   Hate that fact bothers you.  

And if you think home teams don’t get benefit of the doubt in some calls you are out of your mind  I’ve seen it from every team... including my Mavs.  It happens.  It just seems to happen more in some places than others.  Hate that fact bothers you

If WH does something impressive this season, Ill congratulate them. But I don’t think the rest of the district feels any inclination to be their cheerleaders.  Hate that fact bothers you. 

Whitehouse and their constant elitism is what bothers me the most. Going to a game there you get judge for what you do, judge for who you are, and it's more about what cars we drive than the football game. I couldn't care less about the district itself. It's an average white flight school in my opinion. I wish them nothing but the best but that doesn't take away from how they treat people

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomlandry said:

So let me ask this, how is the current coach developing players? Lane at Pine Tree has done a great job. Not sure about other coaches but he has taken us from zero to hero. 

First installing the system at both middle schools. It is this staffs 2nd year, was hired late in the spring his first year and missed this past spring and summer practice so they are not as far as they would be. They also planned on playing 7 on 7 for the first time this past year before that was canceled. They are installing a good base, just have to let things sink in. I fully expect good things from Nac, just trying to patient for it to take shape. I like what I am seeing after year 1 and 2 games this year. 

5 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I remember all too well cause I played on the team. WH deliberately pulling their starters to throw a game so they could avoid T high. That to me is the reason why I’ll never respect them. 

You never respect them? How does that even make sense. What year did that even happen? Should I never respect the Cowboys because I hated Barry Switzer? Should I never go to a McD’s because one time they got my order wrong? 
New coaches, new players, new many things happen.. but one thing that happens in 1987 is their identity forever? Interesting concept.
Would you like WH to deliberately pull out their starters next Friday if they go up 40?

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Uhh is it just me or did I actually list numbers and factual information while you continued to express your opinion. “I don’t like how they play”.. “but my best friend said they were mean too”.. “I’m having universal round table discussions” haha. What a joke. 

MavsChamp but Mavs Choke. 1 and Done again this year. You heard it first. HATE THAT FACT BOTHERS YOU. 

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m not biased against WH. I just don’t like playing them.

I mean, that fact alone makes your biased against them lol. But you're not wrong. They're awful to play against.

Not many teams I can remember having hatred for from over a decade ago, with only one meeting plus it being a 52-9 final.

Didn't they throw a game that y'all would've made the playoffs or something?

1 hour ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Uhh is it just me or did I actually list numbers and factual information while you continued to express your opinion. “I don’t like how they play”.. “but my best friend said they were mean too”.. “I’m having universal round table discussions” haha. What a joke. 

MavsChamp but Mavs Choke. 1 and Done again this year. You heard it first. HATE THAT FACT BOTHERS YOU. 

Wow this post smh. Whitehouse’s football history isn’t even close to Marshall’s 

2 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

You never respect them? How does that even make sense. What year did that even happen? Should I never respect the Cowboys because I hated Barry Switzer? Should I never go to a McD’s because one time they got my order wrong? 
New coaches, new players, new many things happen.. but one thing that happens in 1987 is their identity forever? Interesting concept.
Would you like WH to deliberately pull out their starters next Friday if they go up 40?

2006 is when it Happened. What message does that send to kids ? Taking the easy way out, even though we would have won the game regardless. It always rubbed me the wrong way. They have a reputation and it’s not a great one. Oh and the up by 40 part. That’s comparing apples to oranges. It’s one thing to pull your starters after the game is in hand it’s another when you do it to try and lose a ball game to avoid a tougher opponent in the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

Uhh is it just me or did I actually list numbers and factual information while you continued to express your opinion

MavsChamp but Mavs Choke. 1 and Done 

You want some numbers and facts??  OK.... I'll give you some numbers and facts:

Marshall has won 4 district championships just since 2015..... that's the SAME number that Whitehouse has won in their ENTIRE history.

Marshall has been to THREE region semifinals in the last decade.  FOUR since 2007.  More than 10 overall. Whitehouse has been to..... ONE.  Ever.

Marshall has been to the state semifinals 7 times.  Whitehouse has been.... NEVER.

Marshall has played in THREE state championships.  Won a state title.  Whitehouse..... NOPE.  NOT.  EVEN.  CLOSE.

Marshall has 24 district championships.  Whitehouse has...... four.

Whitehouse playoff record is (8-15).   Eight playoff wins. Ever. We’ve had more playoff wins just in the last decade or so.   But we’ve had 34 playoff wins.... in case you didn’t know.  

Marshall has 626 all time-wins. Whitehouse has 248.

How's them numbers for ya?  I can go on.  I have more.  

-------

And it's not just MY opinion about WH.  It's a roundly.... widely accepted opinion by almost anyone that has been district mates with WH for the last two decades. 

And we may....or may not be one and done again this year.  We shall see.

But I'd rather be one and done again this year.... than have the history (or lack thereof) that Whitehouse has. 

Good God.... I'd be embarrassed.   

You're history might be worse than Pine Tree's. 

Talk smack when you grow up.  Or win something. 

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

9 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

What year did that even happen? 

Yes, it did happen. I can’t tell you the year, but it was around 2005+/-. Texas High was a beast team. If Whitehouse won there game, Texas High would be their playoff opponent. They “rested” their starters and lost .... problem solved. Whitehouse’s reputation took a big hit. I agree, it was the coaches decision and not the kids. But as long as that coach was at Whitehouse, the school had no respect on this board. I have never attended a game a Whitehouse, so I offer no opinion of their “attitude”.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Didn’t y’all benefit from them for first playoff spot since early 90s or was that Marshall who got the short end of the stick? I wasn’t sure but remember what 💩 thing to do. 

I think Nac at this point would love another situation to benefit getting into the playoffs. They need all the help they can get!!

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You want some numbers and facts??  OK.... I'll give you some numbers and facts:

Marshall has won 4 district championships just since 2015..... that's the SAME number that Whitehouse has won in their ENTIRE history.

Marshall has been to THREE region semifinals in the last decade.  FOUR since 2007.  More than 10 overall. Whitehouse has been to..... ONE.  Ever.

Marshall has been to the state semifinals 7 times.  Whitehouse has been.... NEVER.

Marshall has played in THREE state championships.  Won a state title.  Whitehouse..... NOPE.  NOT.  EVEN.  CLOSE.

Marshall has 24 district championships.  Whitehouse has...... four.

Whitehouse playoff record is (8-15).   Eight playoff wins. Ever. We’ve had more playoff wins just in the last decade or so.   But we’ve had 34 playoff wins.... in case you didn’t know.  

Marshall has 626 all time-wins. Whitehouse has 248.

How's them numbers for ya?  I can go on.  I have more.  

-------

And it's not just MY opinion about WH.  It's a roundly.... widely accepted opinion by almost anyone that has been district mates with WH for the last two decades. 

And we may....or may not be one and done again this year.  We shall see.

But I'd rather be one and done again this year.... than have the history (or lack thereof) that Whitehouse has. 

Good God.... I'd be embarrassed.   

You're history might be worse than Pine Tree's. 

Talk smack when you grow up.  Or win something. 

No response, I see. 
Numbers don’t lie. 

• LOL! 2

18 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I agree but 5a as whole can’t exactly look down on anyone. This district is very balanced. Texas High and Marshall seem to be the only ones many think can actually play football In December. Anything else makes the District look like an afterthought. I am not knocking them down by any means but perception goes a long way.

I would agree. Texas High and Marshall have by far the best athletes on the field. It's not even close. Pine Tree vs Marshall will speak volumes next week.

2 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

I think Nac at this point would love another situation to benefit getting into the playoffs. They need all the help they can get!!

So you’re saying we want a team to basically lay down for us to make the playoffs?? Nope I wouldn’t want that. What everyone seems to forget though during that run was that we upset Marshall at their place and we upset jax who were favored to beat the brakes off us. I believe we would have beaten WH that year regardless. 

4 hours ago, bordertown said:

Yes, it did happen. I can’t tell you the year, but it was around 2005+/-. Texas High was a beast team. If Whitehouse won there game, Texas High would be their playoff opponent. They “rested” their starters and lost .... problem solved. Whitehouse’s reputation took a big hit. I agree, it was the coaches decision and not the kids. But as long as that coach was at Whitehouse, the school had no respect on this board. I have never attended a game a Whitehouse, so I offer no opinion of their “attitude”.

This was in the day when you still had the big school/small school split in playoffs.

I think what happen is that Whitehouse had already clinched district title.  If they beat Nac, they would have been in the Big school bracket, and played Texas High in first round.  If they lost to Nac, Nac would clinch playoff spot and since they were the larger school, they would be in the Big school bracket and play Texas High.  

Either way, Whitehouse was going to win the district, so their coaches decided to tank the game to get a better playoff situation.  They went three rounds deep in small school bracket, so I guess it was smart...but I can see why people dislike the decision. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

This was in the day when you still had the big school/small school split in playoffs.

I think what happen is that Whitehouse had already clinched district title.  If they beat Nac, they would have been in the Big school bracket, and played Texas High in first round.  If they lost to Nac, Nac would clinch playoff spot and since they were the larger school, they would be in the Big school bracket and play Texas High.  

Either way, Whitehouse was going to win the district, so their coaches decided to tank the game to get a better playoff situation.  They went three rounds deep in small school bracket, so I guess it was smart...but I can see why people dislike the decision. 

Schools do it all the time. Hell professional teams do it all the time. Especially football. 

The distaste of the WH program by seemingly everyone in the district last season had nothing to do with 2006, purposely blown games, or the former coach. 

There is something that every school in this district has in common that Whitehouse and one other school doesn’t have.   And the fans of those schools discussed it widely, openly, and candidly on this... and other forums. 

At least they were consistent to everyone.  But it’s shameful IMHO.  Especially given the makeup of their team... if not their student body.  But when fans of MP, Jax, Nac, PT, and Marshall all confirm it.....  

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... 🦆 

What’s funny..... This isn’t Highland Park in Dallas.  It’s not Westlake in Austin.  It’s not Hunters Creek in Houston.  Lake Travis?  SLC?  

Nope. It’s a town with a Dairy Queen in East freaking Texas.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

But when fans of MP, Jax, Nac, PT, and Marshall all confirm it..... 

We didn't have that experience in football, but we certainly got it in our volleyball playoff meeting back in 2015.

Completely agree with everything you're saying.

• Like 1