The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

2 minutes ago, JoeBurns23 said:

I think Nac at this point would love another situation to benefit getting into the playoffs. They need all the help they can get!!

I agree but 5a as whole can’t exactly look down on anyone. This district is very balanced. Texas High and Marshall seem to be the only ones many think can actually play football In December. Anything else makes the District look like an afterthought. I am not knocking them down by any means but perception goes a long way.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You want some numbers and facts??  OK.... I'll give you some numbers and facts:

Marshall has won 4 district championships just since 2015..... that's the SAME number that Whitehouse has won in their ENTIRE history.

Marshall has been to THREE region semifinals in the last decade.  FOUR since 2007.  More than 10 overall. Whitehouse has been to..... ONE.  Ever.

Marshall has been to the state semifinals 7 times.  Whitehouse has been.... NEVER.

Marshall has played in THREE state championships.  Won a state title.  Whitehouse..... NOPE.  NOT.  EVEN.  CLOSE.

Marshall has 24 district championships.  Whitehouse has...... four.

Whitehouse playoff record is (8-15).   Eight playoff wins. Ever. We’ve had more playoff wins just in the last decade or so.   But we’ve had 34 playoff wins.... in case you didn’t know.  

Marshall has 626 all time-wins. Whitehouse has 248.

How's them numbers for ya?  I can go on.  I have more.  

-------

And it's not just MY opinion about WH.  It's a roundly.... widely accepted opinion by almost anyone that has been district mates with WH for the last two decades. 

And we may....or may not be one and done again this year.  We shall see.

But I'd rather be one and done again this year.... than have the history (or lack thereof) that Whitehouse has. 

Good God.... I'd be embarrassed.   

You're history might be worse than Pine Tree's. 

Talk smack when you grow up.  Or win something. 

No response, I see. 
Numbers don’t lie. 

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I agree but 5a as whole can’t exactly look down on anyone. This district is very balanced. Texas High and Marshall seem to be the only ones many think can actually play football In December. Anything else makes the District look like an afterthought. I am not knocking them down by any means but perception goes a long way.

I would agree. Texas High and Marshall have by far the best athletes on the field. It's not even close. Pine Tree vs Marshall will speak volumes next week.

2 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

I think Nac at this point would love another situation to benefit getting into the playoffs. They need all the help they can get!!

So you’re saying we want a team to basically lay down for us to make the playoffs?? Nope I wouldn’t want that. What everyone seems to forget though during that run was that we upset Marshall at their place and we upset jax who were favored to beat the brakes off us. I believe we would have beaten WH that year regardless. 

4 hours ago, bordertown said:

Yes, it did happen. I can’t tell you the year, but it was around 2005+/-. Texas High was a beast team. If Whitehouse won there game, Texas High would be their playoff opponent. They “rested” their starters and lost .... problem solved. Whitehouse’s reputation took a big hit. I agree, it was the coaches decision and not the kids. But as long as that coach was at Whitehouse, the school had no respect on this board. I have never attended a game a Whitehouse, so I offer no opinion of their “attitude”.

This was in the day when you still had the big school/small school split in playoffs.

I think what happen is that Whitehouse had already clinched district title.  If they beat Nac, they would have been in the Big school bracket, and played Texas High in first round.  If they lost to Nac, Nac would clinch playoff spot and since they were the larger school, they would be in the Big school bracket and play Texas High.  

Either way, Whitehouse was going to win the district, so their coaches decided to tank the game to get a better playoff situation.  They went three rounds deep in small school bracket, so I guess it was smart...but I can see why people dislike the decision. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

This was in the day when you still had the big school/small school split in playoffs.

I think what happen is that Whitehouse had already clinched district title.  If they beat Nac, they would have been in the Big school bracket, and played Texas High in first round.  If they lost to Nac, Nac would clinch playoff spot and since they were the larger school, they would be in the Big school bracket and play Texas High.  

Either way, Whitehouse was going to win the district, so their coaches decided to tank the game to get a better playoff situation.  They went three rounds deep in small school bracket, so I guess it was smart...but I can see why people dislike the decision. 

Schools do it all the time. Hell professional teams do it all the time. Especially football. 

34 minutes ago, VonG said:

Schools do it all the time. Hell professional teams do it all the time. Especially football. 

yep. I don't have a problem with it, but I understand those who do.

The distaste of the WH program by seemingly everyone in the district last season had nothing to do with 2006, purposely blown games, or the former coach. 

There is something that every school in this district has in common that Whitehouse and one other school doesn’t have.   And the fans of those schools discussed it widely, openly, and candidly on this... and other forums. 

At least they were consistent to everyone.  But it’s shameful IMHO.  Especially given the makeup of their team... if not their student body.  But when fans of MP, Jax, Nac, PT, and Marshall all confirm it.....  

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... 🦆 

What’s funny..... This isn’t Highland Park in Dallas.  It’s not Westlake in Austin.  It’s not Hunters Creek in Houston.  Lake Travis?  SLC?  

Nope. It’s a town with a Dairy Queen in East freaking Texas.  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

But when fans of MP, Jax, Nac, PT, and Marshall all confirm it..... 

We didn't have that experience in football, but we certainly got it in our volleyball playoff meeting back in 2015.

Completely agree with everything you're saying.

• Like 1
Just now, LoboFan07 said:

We didn't have that experience in football, but we certainly got it in our volleyball playoff meeting back in 2015.

Completely agree with everything you're saying.

The on-field shenanigans last year were unlike anything I’ve ever seen on a football field.  

WH had more personal fouls called against them than I’ve ever seen in a game.  And they didn’t get as many as they deserved.  It was almost like that was their game plan.  See if we can get some of the opposition’s players ejected. Then maybe we can win.  

Now.... you wanna talk basketball, Baseball, and softball.... the shenanigans weren’t on the courts or the fields.... but in the stands by the student section.  

It’s clearly systemic. 

And it’s not a figment of people’s imagination.  And it’s not being dramatic... or overly sensitive.  It’s real. Very real.

I’ve  seen it.  I’ve heard it.  And apparently..... fans of lots of other schools have too.

Sorry if that bothers some folks. Truth hurts. 

• Thanks 1

Any how.... back to football. 

Go Mavs!!!  Beat Pine Tree!!!

• Like 1

Lufkin just gave up one of the best punt returns I've ever seen, thanks in part to a lot of missed tackles.

Pack led 17-7 at halftime. Magnolia now leads 20-17 with under 8 to go in the 4th.

17 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lufkin just gave up one of the best punt returns I've ever seen, thanks in part to a lot of missed tackles.

Pack led 17-7 at halftime. Magnolia now leads 20-17 with under 8 to go in the 4th.

Final.

Magnolia wins 26-24. Lufkin 0-2 in district.

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The on-field shenanigans last year were unlike anything I’ve ever seen on a football field.  

WH had more personal fouls called against them than I’ve ever seen in a game.  And they didn’t get as many as they deserved.  It was almost like that was their game plan.  See if we can get some of the opposition’s players ejected. Then maybe we can win.  

Now.... you wanna talk basketball, Baseball, and softball.... the shenanigans weren’t on the courts or the fields.... but in the stands by the student section.  

It’s clearly systemic. 

And it’s not a figment of people’s imagination.  And it’s not being dramatic... or overly sensitive.  It’s real. Very real.

I’ve  seen it.  I’ve heard it.  And apparently..... fans of lots of other schools have too.

Sorry if that bothers some folks. Truth hurts. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, VonG said:

It's time to clean house in lufkin whether they want to admit it or not. They a need voice in their locker room. 

The fans have more than preaching it, for sure.

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The distaste of the WH program by seemingly everyone in the district last season had nothing to do with 2006, purposely blown games, or the former coach. 

There is something that every school in this district has in common that Whitehouse and one other school doesn’t have.   And the fans of those schools discussed it widely, openly, and candidly on this... and other forums. 

At least they were consistent to everyone.  But it’s shameful IMHO.  Especially given the makeup of their team... if not their student body.  But when fans of MP, Jax, Nac, PT, and Marshall all confirm it.....  

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... 🦆 

What’s funny..... This isn’t Highland Park in Dallas.  It’s not Westlake in Austin.  It’s not Hunters Creek in Houston.  Lake Travis?  SLC?  

Nope. It’s a town with a Dairy Queen in East freaking Texas.  

THIS.

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Final.

Magnolia wins 26-24. Lufkin 0-2 in district.

10 hours ago, VonG said:

It's time to clean house in lufkin whether they want to admit it or not. They a need voice in their locker room. 

The Lufkin 28 year playoff streak is in serious jeopardy!!!  I work in Lufkin and I am already hearing it in town this morning!! 

As far as my feelings against Whitehouse, I just have not been impressed with any of their teams since Mahomes left. They have found ways to win and make the playoffs and that is great for them. They have slipped by Nac the last 3 or 4 years overcoming 4th Qtr deficits and that game in particular has cost Nac a playoff spot. 

We will see how this shakes out this year, Nac starts their district schedule with Whitehouse and Pine Tree, an 0-2 start will pretty much end their chances this year. A 1-1 start has them in the conversation and a 2-0 start will have them in the driver seat for the 3 or 4 spot. We will find out a lot about Nac this Friday in how they start district. Really hard to tell what we are at this point we have had zero preparation time for the teams we have played so far. While both teams have 2 weeks to prepare for each other this week, Nac finally getting to prep for an opponent should definilty help see thier identity this year. 

Just looking for baby steps!!  

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

The Lufkin 28 year playoff streak is in serious jeopardy!!!  I work in Lufkin and I am already hearing it in town this morning!! 

Very tough district.  Lufkin’s path to the playoffs is beating the two New Caney schools.  

11 hours ago, mav01 said:

I'll be interested in the LP VS New Caney match up. 

Yuuup. I think LP takes it.  But.... 2020.  

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Yuuup. I think LP takes it.  But.... 2020.  

If they struggle against Porter this week, I just don't see it.

I think the only wins for sure they have left on their schedule are Cleveland and Conroe Caney Creek. The rest are all legit threats to win.

at Porter, vs New Caney, at College Station, vs Waller. They need to win at least two of these games.

For some reason everyone is just pushing Waller aside and saying they're not good. They had chances to beat both Bryan and Tomball in their two losses this year (two teams with a combined one loss). They dominated Cleveland 50-6 and Caney Creek 56-6. We'll know more about them this week when they take on Magnolia West.