The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

In Team Tennis News, Texas High defeated a good Longview team 10-4 to win their umpty umpteenth district title. Best of luck to both the Tigers and the Lobos in the playoffs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Posted Images

Pine Tree Vs. Marshall-  I'm taking Marshall.  I think we've had a tougher schedule than PT.   I think we have a better defense than PT.  I think the first 3.5 quarters of last year's game was more indicative of the series than the last 6 mins that made a close game.   Unless they try onside kicks and fake punts all night trying to steal possessions, I think our offense will keep their offense sitting on the sidelines.  2020 Mav offense is better than 2019 offense. 

Lufkin Vs. Porter-  Going to take LP, but if they stumble this week.... the Panthers may be in for a long season.  This SHOULD start a nice little win streak for Lufkin.  But they still have some tough games on their schedule... including College Station, Waller, and maybe Caney Creek.  If they struggle this week..... or worse, if they lose.... where do they from there?  (0-3) is tough to overcome.

Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches- I REALLY WANT NAC TO WIN.  But I'm taking WH.  The Wildcats have had a more "normal" practice and weekly game schedule (in 2020 terms of normal) than NAC has.  WH seems to know who they are offensively and defensively.... I think Nac is still getting their ducks in a row.  All that, IMHO, lends itself to a comfy WH win.

Royse City Vs. Greenville- Greenville is MUCH improved.... but RC seems to be a few steps ahead of them.  I'm taking RC in a good game.

Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High should win this easily.  But this is a semi-rivalry game..... so there's always room for an upset.  But not this season.  Orange Tigers beat the Yellow Tigers by several scores.

West Mesquite Vs. Longview-Longview can name their score.

Tyler Vs. McKinney North- I'm taking JT.  But their defense better be ready.  While North's defense is weak..... their offense can make up for some of their defensive shortcomings.  If JT's offense comes out flat..... North could bury them quickly.   North has the better offense of the two IMHO.  JT has the better defense of the two.  Something will have to give.  

Wylie East Vs Sherman-Sherman..... because someone has to win.

Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville- This will be EACH team's best chance for a district win until one of them can show something different.  Jax has struggled offensively and defensively.  Hallsville has had their own struggles too.... but they have been much more competitive in their games.  Taking the Bobcats since they are playing at home. 

Forney Vs. Corsicana-  Corsicana gets back on the winning side of things.  Forney is brutal.

Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs- Ennis will run them out of the stadium.

Crandall Vs. North Forney-North Forney has really looked good...... Crandall.... not so much.

College Station Vs. New Caney-  College Station should win this easy.  BUT.... they cannot look past New Caney... they have a very good offense.  Questionable defense.... but their Offense can keep them in some games.

Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West- Magnolia West should win this.  They are flying high with their win over Lufkin last week.  A loss to CC would all but erase their feat from last week..... a win will keep them in the midst of the district championship.

Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High should win this easily.  But this is a semi-rivalry game..... so there's always room for an upset.  But not this season.  Orange Tigers beat the Yellow Tigers by several scores.

I've never quite figured out why people think this is a rivalry game.  Somebody from MP mentioned this a few years ago and honestly I had no idea they felt that way.  I don't know anybody here that thinks it is.   Other than Arkansas High nobody else has that feel.    And the Arkansas rivalry is only a shell of what it once was.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I've never quite figured out why people think this is a rivalry game.  Somebody from MP mentioned this a few years ago and honestly I had no idea they felt that way.  I don't know anybody here that thinks it is.   Other than Arkansas High nobody else has that feel.    And the Arkansas rivalry is only a shell of what it once was.

Seems like in the 90s when MP was Annually really good..... and THS was building a winner... I recall the early message boards (PigskinPrep, ETSupersite) lightning up between these two.  

I could totally be wrong.  Was always my perception.  At least until MP fell off the map. 

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Ennis vs SS has been canceled. That district is moving to zones now 

Someone tell me what exactly the zone concept is, I have seen this a few times and I am not sure what it means.

I agree with THSFanatic’s assessment of the non-rivalry between Texas High and Mt Pleasant. The only reason I can surmise is it’s the battle of the Tigers and they are our closest district opponent. I would submit the game Tiger fans look as their “District Rival” is Marshall.  I can only speak to the late 90s to current, but in most years their games have been the mostly competitive. In Texarkana travel speak, Marshall really isn’t much further than Mt Pleasant.

3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Someone tell me what exactly the zone concept is, I have seen this a few times and I am not sure what it means.

District will be split in half. Top 2 from each zone will go to playoffs. Then those 4 teams will have cross over games to determine seeding. 

21 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Week 5 Games:
Pine Tree Vs. Marshall-I take Marshall in a shoot out
Lufkin Vs. Porter-Taking Porter after they stayed pretty close to New Caney And College St. Panthers are a mess!!
Whitehouse Vs. Nacogdoches-NAC!!!! Home Opener and Homecoming
Royse City Vs. Greenville-Toss Up Game-Greenville Close
Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant-Texas High Big!!!
West Mesquite Vs. Longview-Longview Big!!!
Tyler Vs. McKinney North-Taking North
Wylie East Vs Sherman-Sherman
Jacksonville Vs. Hallsville-Hallsville-Going with home team
Forney Vs. Corsicana-Cana-Forney is bad!!!
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs-Ennis Big!!!
Crandall Vs. North Forney-North Forney Big-welcome to 5a Crandall
College Station Vs. New Caney-College St
Caney Creek Vs. Magnolia West-Magnolia West
Highland Park- OFF
Waller- OFF
Cleveland-OFF
Magnolia - OFF

I mean yeah. Porter stayed close to them, but magnolia beat college station and we dam near beat magnolia. So not sure all that logic matters. Matchups differ. I think we win this week by 2 scores. If it’s a game long struggle just to grind out a 3 point win, Lufkin might as well give up. I also think people are over hyping college station. Just a bit. 

17 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

So not sure all that logic matters. 

Well I haven't seen them all play so I went with previous matchups to make my picks. I also used the opinions of ones that have been to an LP game this year. 

1 minute ago, Nacwagons said:

Well I haven't seen them all play so I went with previous matchups to make my picks. I also used the opinions of ones that have been to an LP game this year. 

Well people are used to seeing Lufkin beat people by 30+. So naturally, we look bad. Which we are compared to our usual 9-1 teams we field. However, I thought we made some progress from 2-3 weeks ago last week against the best team in the district. Porter isn’t as good as magnolia. But if the youth and mistakes follow us down to porter tomorrow, I’m sure it’ll be a struggle. If we put together as good a game as last week, we win. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Well people are used to seeing Lufkin beat people by 30+. So naturally, we look bad. Which we are compared to our usual 9-1 teams we field. However, I thought we made some progress from 2-3 weeks ago last week against the best team in the district. Porter isn’t as good as magnolia. But if the youth and mistakes follow us down to porter tomorrow, I’m sure it’ll be a struggle. If we put together as good a game as last week, we win. 

Which is what I think is crazy when I hear people in town talk about replacing Quick. He has helped extend the 22 year playoff streak. Gone multiple rounds deep in a lot of those years, their loses have come to some really good teams. There are a lot of programs in the state that would kill to have that much success.

27 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Which is what I think is crazy when I hear people in town talk about replacing Quick. He has helped extend the 22 year playoff streak. Gone multiple rounds deep in a lot of those years, their loses have come to some really good teams. There are a lot of programs in the state that would kill to have that much success.

True. Just shows you how spoilt the fan base is. A lot of it though comes down to watching teams with less talent succeed more than you. And that’s on coaching. There’s no doubt they aren’t the worst coaching staff you’ll find, but I think they’ve gotten complacent here since they’ve been here so long. Sometimes you just need new faces. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this year, since they seem to have a plan in the long run by playing 10 sophomores, but another season of this and it should be adios. Heck, losing to Nac in 2013 & 2014 should’ve been enough.

39 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

It’s not that crazy when you have high expectations, which is what Outlaw wanted at one time here. When you’ve never won anything and miss the playoffs basically every year like the folks in Nac...of course it may seem crazy, but definitely not for us. We expect more and want more. 

We’ve gone multiple rounds i believe three times in the 8 years he has been the HC. Maybe by Nacogdoches standards that’s considered “a lot”....but definitely not for me. I wouldn’t say coaching was the main reason for that success in the playoffs either. But I’m not going to take credit away from the man. I believe he’s a good coach. It’s just....we expect more, especially with the 2018-2019 teams, after the year we had in 2017 and dropping to 5A. Losing the 28 point lead in 2014 to a rival in the playoffs was on the coaching staff too, not just the players. Quick is also a defensive minded coach. But......let’s be honest. The defenses under him have mostly struggled. I don’t even have to mention the other seasons. Giving up 70 to Legacy in the first game this season when they didn’t even have a freakin scrimmage and having those people up there in Tyler thinking they actually had a good team. Really? But I’m the crazy one. 

Also....let’s talk about Coach Green. Why that man is still allowed to call plays I’ll never understand. He shouldn’t even be allowed to do it for our 7 on 7 squad. Talent is the main reason we have put up so many points over the years, not that basic scheme we’ve been running since he became OC about 16 seasons ago. Say what you want, but it’s true. And you can call me crazy all you want. But i don’t like the direction that our football program is headed right now and if we continue to struggle like this, then we should make a change. Period

58 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

True. Just shows you how spoilt the fan base is. A lot of it though comes down to watching teams with less talent succeed more than you. And that’s on coaching. There’s no doubt they aren’t the worst coaching staff you’ll find, but I think they’ve gotten complacent here since they’ve been here so long. Sometimes you just need new faces. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this year, since they seem to have a plan in the long run by playing 10 sophomores, but another season of this and it should be adios. Heck, losing to Nac in 2013 & 2014 should’ve been enough.

I get the split and if he hadn't just taken over the program in 2013 & 2014 the losses to Nac would have been a bigger deal maybe, I wonder if him making the playoffs those years saved him.

Outlaw was 72-27 in his first 9 years-with a great run from 2001-2006 some really great teams

Quick is 64-30 in his first 9 years. 2017 & 2018 were his two best.

Again a lot of places would kill for just half of that success, and it doesn't have anything to do with what Nac does or doesn't do.

8 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

This is from KSST, a Sulphur Springs radio station. It explains the zones pretty well.    https://www.ksstradio.com/2020/10/wildcats-football-coach-greg-owens-discusses-new-zone-competition-concept-in-district/

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

It’s not that crazy when you have high expectations, which is what Outlaw wanted at one time here. When you’ve never won anything and miss the playoffs basically every year like the folks in Nac...of course it may seem crazy, but definitely not for us. We expect more and want more. 

We’ve gone multiple rounds i believe three times in the 8 years he has been the HC. Maybe by Nacogdoches standards that’s considered “a lot”....but definitely not for me. I wouldn’t say coaching was the main reason for that success in the playoffs either. But I’m not going to take credit away from the man. I believe he’s a good coach. It’s just....we expect more, especially with the 2018-2019 teams, after the year we had in 2017 and dropping to 5A. Losing the 28 point lead in 2014 to a rival in the playoffs was on the coaching staff too, not just the players. Quick is also a defensive minded coach. But......let’s be honest. The defenses under him have mostly struggled. I don’t even have to mention the other seasons. Giving up 70 to Legacy in the first game this season when they didn’t even have a freakin scrimmage and having those people up there in Tyler thinking they actually had a good team. Really? But I’m the crazy one. 

Also....let’s talk about Coach Green. Why that man is still allowed to call plays I’ll never understand. He shouldn’t even be allowed to do it for our 7 on 7 squad. Talent is the main reason we have put up so many points over the years, not that basic scheme we’ve been running since he became OC about 16 seasons ago. Say what you want, but it’s true. And you can call me crazy all you want. But i don’t like the direction that our football program is headed right now and if we continue to struggle like this, then we should make a change. Period

007 says the things I don’t feel like typing lol Well said bro 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

I get the split and if he hadn't just taken over the program in 2013 & 2014 the losses to Nac would have been a bigger deal maybe, I wonder if him making the playoffs those years saved him.

Outlaw was 72-27 in his first 9 years-with a great run from 2001-2006 some really great teams

Quick is 64-30 in his first 9 years. 2017 & 2018 were his two best.

Again a lot of places would kill for just half of that success, and it doesn't have anything to do with what Nac does or doesn't do.

64-30 with only 5 playoff wins is horrible 

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

64-30 with only 5 playoff wins is horrible 

The reality is that in East Texas, maybe Longview produces the same type and amount of talent as Lufkin per capita....For Lufkin to have that record with that talent with that few playoff wins is inexcusable...I guarantee that if the school board makes the change and opens it up, they will pull top coaching talent from across the state...THERE IS NOT EXCUSE FOR THE STATE OF LUFKIN FOOTBALL...

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

The reality is that in East Texas, maybe Longview produces the same type and amount of talent as Lufkin per capita....For Lufkin to have that record with that talent with that few playoff wins is inexcusable...I guarantee that if the school board makes the change and opens it up, they will pull top coaching talent from across the state...THERE IS NOT EXCUSE FOR THE STATE OF LUFKIN FOOTBALL...

Thank you....but a Nac fan is calling it crazy. Let Longview have the same record in the playoffs the last three seasons.........Lobo fans would be burning stuff down. So why shouldn’t we feel something similar about our program?? Really Don’t get it.

10 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Lufkin has advanced past 2nd round what...twice since 2006?

No excuse for that. Terrible coaching staff.

If they miss playoffs this year and still keep Quick....yikes.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

Thank you....but a Nac fan is calling it crazy. Let Longview have the same record in the playoffs the last three seasons.........Lobo fans would be burning stuff down. So why shouldn’t we feel something similar about our program?? Really Don’t get it.

Longview would be winless right now with Lufkin staff. I'm convinced.

And definitely wouldnt have a title among other deep runs we've had.

I've seen people try to pin Lufkin's bad play this year on the sophomores they have, I know experience plays a part in success but Longview is playing many sophomores as well and look at their record. Look at what Longview did to the very same Legacy team that put 70 on Lufkin.

2 sophomore QBs, our best 3 WRs are all sophomores...2 sophomores on the OL and one of them starts full time at RT. Another sophomore in rotation at TE. 2 more sophomores contributing in Longview's secondary.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:31 PM, THSfanatic said:

Mount beat them that one time you guys were highly ranked 10-0 lol. I believe coming off a State Championship. Geography plays a part imo. I guess that’s why most people think it a simi rivalry. You would definitely know better than the rest of us.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, Mavchamp said:

Seems like in the 90s when MP was Annually really good..... and THS was building a winner... I recall the early message boards (PigskinPrep, ETSupersite) lightning up between these two.  

I could totally be wrong.  Was always my perception.  At least until MP fell off the map. 

This is true MP used to be a consistent contender similar what happened to Jacksonville and lesser degree Hallsville.