Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Thank you....but a Nac fan is calling it crazy. Let Longview have the same record in the playoffs the last three seasons.........Lobo fans would be burning stuff down. So why shouldn’t we feel something similar about our program?? Really Don’t get it.

What does who I root for have anything to do with it?? Its where I live not where I am from. I root for the school where I live just like I did when I lived in Mesquite, Carthage and El Campo. Those programs have been successful as well so my opinion is not based on what Nac. does or doesn't do. 

In high school football you are not guaranteed anything at all, it is so week to week and year to year. Expecting a state run every year because of past success is a difficult expectation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, ANTI said:

Longview would be winless right now with Lufkin staff. I'm convinced.

Marshall would've found a way to lose against us if we had Quick and company, so I'd go with 1-3. But agreed with everything else you said!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Marshall sub-varsity sweeps Pine Tree. 

JV won 30-6

Freshman won 18-6. 

Continue that tonight!!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Playing devils advocate but if outlaw was still with us with the record Lufkin was has now would people be calling for his removal ?

Lufkin was on the decline even in Outlaw's final years, and who knows how much longer he would've continued to coach...he would've been 67 this season.

But they definitely would've had a better record than what Quick has produced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

 

In high school football you are not guaranteed anything at all, it is so week to week and year to year. Expecting a state run every year because of past success is a difficult expectation. 

I don't think they expect a state title every year....but they do expect to beat teams that they are clearly better than come playoff time.

A hiccup, trip up, choke job or whatever you want to call it is expected every now and then but to lose almost every year in the 1st round of the playoffs? 

Plus, Quick needing the boot is a lot deeper than playoff runs.

He's supposed to be a defensive minded coach but they havent had one special defense since he became HC. He doesnt make adjustments over the course of a game...which is part of the reason Longview made that comeback in bi-district vs Lufkin in 2014. He had no answer for the bootleg and King ate em up.

And I could write a noval on how basic that offensive scheme is. Green had success in the past but that was only because he had a Coutee, Ralph Thomas, Dez Bryant or JaBryce Taylor to bail him out. Now, this year, they took a page out of the Surratt/King note book by moving to an I/One back Ace look. But it doesn't work very well because they can't coach up an OL. Not to mentiom the play calling is still vanilla.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

What does who I root for have anything to do with it?? Its where I live not where I am from. I root for the school where I live just like I did when I lived in Mesquite, Carthage and El Campo. Those programs have been successful as well so my opinion is not based on what Nac. does or doesn't do. 

In high school football you are not guaranteed anything at all, it is so week to week and year to year. Expecting a state run every year because of past success is a difficult expectation. 

Who said anything about expecting a state run every year? And you’re used to watching mediocre football and (based on your own post) have the belief that we should be thankful for what we have. Uhhh...no. We go to the games and see what’s happening. We also know the talent level (not really talking about this season). The Pack should be doing better than losing in the first round basically every year.  But again....you believe that going to the second round 3 times in 8 years is “a lot”.....so yea. You clearly don’t understand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Playing devils advocate but if outlaw was still with us with the record Lufkin was has now would people be calling for his removal ?

People were asking for him to step down too. I’m sure lobo fans like 07 remember when the Lp forum had to be shutdown after that Klein forest lost in Huntsville in the first round. Wide had to be banned. The other losses, including his last game against Westfield.....people on there were basically saying the same thing. It’s time to retire or in the next few seasons. But we definitely weren’t giving up 70 points to anyone under coach Outlaw, especially to freakin Lee, legacy or whatever. I always felt confident going into a game with him as coach too. Things were different, but it was clearly time for him to step down too based on those early playoff losses. We made it out of the first round twice over his last six seasons. Definitely time for it....but I guess in certain places that’s considered a lot...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Porter Freshman and JV won last night over Lufkin...

Porter is making silly mistakes to keep them out of games. New Caney is not good this year and Porter should have won, but costly and timely turnovers are the different. New Caney also lost to College Station 49-7 last night. College Station beat Porter 24-14.

As for tonight? I feel like Porter rights the ship. It will be a tough one for sure, but I think Porter being at home will be the difference maker here...That said, the loser of this one can pack it up for the season...MUST win for any type of playoff hopes

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Wow.

I know Porter has a bit of a stink on them from the Reno-era, but there is talent there and the program development has been huge since Holley took over. Last year they got a win over Port Arthur Memorial and a dang good Ft. Bend Hightower team. Yeah, they are snake bit against New Caney, but they have progressively gotten better each year against everyone else. 

Lufkin is still Lufkin. They are always going to trot out some tremendous athletes and talented players. Definitely won't be an easy win for the Spartans...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

People were asking for him to step down too. I’m sure lobo fans like 07 remember when the Lp forum had to be shutdown after that Klein forest lost in Huntsville in the first round. Wide had to be banned. The other losses, including his last game against Westfield.....people on there were basically saying the same thing. It’s time to retire or in the next few seasons. But we definitely weren’t giving up 70 points to anyone under coach Outlaw, especially to freakin Lee, legacy or whatever. I always felt confident going into a game with him as coach too. Things were different, but it was clearly time for him to step down too based on those early playoff losses. We made it out of the first round twice over his last six seasons. Definitely time for it....but I guess in certain places that’s considered a lot...

What was Lufkin football like before Outlaw ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

What was Lufkin football like before Outlaw ?

Better question, What was Lufkin coaching like before Outlaw? How many titles did Carthage have before Surratt came to town? A very good coach can change things significantly..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Better question, What was Lufkin coaching like before Outlaw? How many titles did Carthage have before Surratt came to town? A very good coach can change things significantly..

Ain’t that the truth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, bordertown said:

I agree with THSFanatic’s assessment of the non-rivalry between Texas High and Mt Pleasant. The only reason I can surmise is it’s the battle of the Tigers and they are our closest district opponent. I would submit the game Tiger fans look as their “District Rival” is Marshall.  I can only speak to the late 90s to current, but in most years their games have been the mostly competitive. In Texarkana travel speak, Marshall really isn’t much further than Mt Pleasant.

This "rivalry" talk got started by kids in high school in the 2000s. They might think that because Texas High's only loss one year, i think 2003 or 2004 was MP. Mallett was the QB for the Orange Tigers. My little cousin went to MP and always said Texas High was their biggest rival. I would just laugh and say ok, sure it is. They also didnt believe Sulphur Springs and Paris was MP'S rivals. But growing up in the 90s, i never considered THigh a rival. Paris, SS, Daingerfield, and Pittsburg was our rivals. We hated them and they hated us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see both sides of this argument TBH.... while Marshall's playoff fortunes are much richer than Nac's (just in the last 15 years alone)...... it pales in comparison to Longview.  TBH... I don't know how it compares to Lufkin... but in fairness to LP, they have been in 6A while we've been 5A.

IIRC......without looking it up......Marshall is (10-11) in the playoffs since 2007.  That includes 4 region semifinals in 2007 (lost to McKinney Boyd) , 2009 (lost to Denison), 2015 (lost to Frisco Lone Star), and 2018 (Lost to Huntsville).   Those were incredibly exciting seasons.  Very proud of those years.

But.... first round losses include 2008 (lost to Kilgore by 7), 2010 (Lost to Sherman by 7), 2013 (lost big to Wylie), 2016 (lost to big Wylie East), 2017 (lost to Mesquite Poteet by 5), 2019 (lost to Huntsville by 14).... we were one and done.  

Lost in the second round in 2014 to Dallas South Oak Cliff.

Those seasons were tougher to digest...... 

BUT.....

We may have only missed the playoffs twice in last decade and a half.... but it was devastating.  100 year low.... 2011 and 2012.  Wouldn't wish it on ANY team.  It was terrible.  (3-17).  So yeah... when we crawled back into it in 2013..... even with an ugly record.... I was thrilled.

So yeah.... I see where Nac, Hallsville, and PT are coming from.  They want to build something.  They'd love to be where Marshall is.

Just as Marshall is building .... and would love where Longview is.

We're all in different places with our program.

So I get it.....

But yeah... I'm happy to be where we are....compared to where we could be (lesser).  But.... I'm hoping for where we WANT to be....  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnolia West won 97-0 tonight?! What on earth....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

This "rivalry" talk got started by kids in high school in the 2000s. They might think that because Texas High's only loss one year, i think 2003 or 2004 was MP. Mallett was the QB for the Orange Tigers. My little cousin went to MP and always said Texas High was their biggest rival. I would just laugh and say ok, sure it is. They also didnt believe Sulphur Springs and Paris was MP'S rivals. But growing up in the 90s, i never considered THigh a rival. Paris, SS, Daingerfield, and Pittsburg was our rivals. We hated them and they hated us.

Actually it was 2002 with the 1 loss and Chris Marshall was the QB.  I'm pretty sure Mallett was a freshman in 2003 and couldn't have been on that team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...