Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums
Mavchamp

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Now that it’s official, Marshall just picked up a hell of a track coach that will also be the boys JH coordinator. 
 

JB “Doc” Haggerty

Agree.  Huuuuge hire.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Finally got Mount Pleasants schedule. Been years since they last play Arkansas High.

Screenshot_20200506-123728_Drive.jpg

Arkansas High & Texas High back-to-back.   That is kinda unusual    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Agree.  Huuuuge hire.  

He’s the last one from back in my day. Hate to see him go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Arkansas High & Texas High back-to-back.   That is kinda unusual    

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, nacdragon07 said:

I’m still not sold on Pine Tree. We gave them that ball game.

I think PT is a clear #3 with a big gap between them and Marshall and Thigh. They have some very good talent coming from Freshman team. They have very good QB/RB combo coming along with Nose Tackle that is going to go D1. 2021 they could better then they have been the last few years.  

 

Nac. will have a very good freshman team coming this year. They are big and fast, this is going to be our next big group of talent. Nac has a lot of holes to fill at the skill positions-losing starting QB, WR and most of O-Line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, THSfanatic said:

Arkansas High & Texas High back-to-back.   That is kinda unusual    

Great to see you guys back on the schedule. But hopefully we can beat THigh. Highly unlikely. But maybe the boys will come out this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MISD board of trustees approved $550,000 for a new parking lot at MHS/Maverick Stadium.  New lights will installed on the parking lot as well.

This is great news and long overdue.

The new turf at Maverick Stadium is being laid out.  It's going to look fantastic.  IMHO....it's a much better design than the last 2 turfs we've had.  I like the alternating shades of green every 10 yards.  Also happy the endzones won't be red because they fade over time.  Not to mention the new logo. 

Maverick gym renos should be starting soon.  Floor to ceiling redo.  New floor, new stands, new scorer's tables.  The new scoreboards were just installed.... 2 years ago?  Looks great.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  

The board is doing a fantastic job at chipping away all the things that need to get done without a bond.  I think they are sitting at $10-15 million in improvements over the last 2 years or so.    More coming.  Stay tuned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Great to see you guys back on the schedule. But hopefully we can beat THigh. Highly unlikely. But maybe the boys will come out this year.

I'm very happy to be in East Texas playing Marshall, Mt Pleasant, and some schools we have a history with.   Last 2 years was awful not knowing anything about the people we were playing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm very happy to be in East Texas playing Marshall, Mt Pleasant, and some schools we have a history with.   Last 2 years was awful not knowing anything about the people we were playing.

 

I agree.   Glad to see Texas High join us again. 

Although I think it would have been entertaining to see them in the district with Longview, JT, and HP.   All of which they have history with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

MISD board of trustees approved $550,000 for a new parking lot at MHS/Maverick Stadium.  New lights will installed on the parking lot as well.

This is great news and long overdue.

The new turf at Maverick Stadium is being laid out.  It's going to look fantastic.  IMHO....it's a much better design than the last 2 turfs we've had.  I like the alternating shades of green every 10 yards.  Also happy the endzones won't be red because they fade over time.  Not to mention the new logo. 

Maverick gym renos should be starting soon.  Floor to ceiling redo.  New floor, new stands, new scorer's tables.  The new scoreboards were just installed.... 2 years ago?  Looks great.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  

The board is doing a fantastic job at chipping away all the things that need to get done without a bond.  I think they are sitting at $10-15 million in improvements over the last 2 years or so.    More coming.  Stay tuned.

 

Don’t know if you saw but we are finally getting the restrooms at maverick redone too. Something that has been needed for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

Don’t know if you saw but we are finally getting the restrooms at maverick redone too. Something that has been needed for a long time. 

Really?   I didn’t see that part. Where is it posted?  

And yes.  LONG overdue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Really?   I didn’t see that part. Where is it posted?  

And yes.  LONG overdue.

They just put out requests for proposals this week. It’s on the main isd website 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mavs03 said:

They just put out requests for proposals this week. It in the main isd website 

Just saw it.  Thanks for the info.  Great to FINALLY get that done.  

The list of things to do at Maverick Stadium is getting shorter and shorter.  

Concession renovation, bleacher/chair replacement, pavement under the stands on the visitor's side, ticket booths, and new gates/fencing.

Going to be a great place again when it's all done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine sent me a pic of the new turf.  It’s not finished.  The logo isn’t down yet. And the Lettering in the end zones isn’t done. 

But the alternating green looks fantastic.  The black end zones look even better than I hoped. And the red and red and white and black trim around the sidelines is sharp. 

ill post a pic when it’s done and the stadium is open.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw them posted on social media.  So I guess it’s fine to post here.  

Turf isn’t finished yet.   Still needs Logos, yard line markers, and endzones to be done.

Request of Proposals are out for the restrooms at Maverick Stadium. 

The to-do list for the stadium is getting shorter and shorter.  

Great job by the school board getting this all done bit by bit without a bond. 

New Pressbox, New stadium lights/standards, video scoreboard, new track, new turf, restrooms to be renovated.

More to come 🤘🏼

 

 

2BD3098B-A01D-4AAE-92EB-7E85150A3756.jpeg

42C2BC08-9A4A-43CF-909A-11DBBC628F05.jpeg

81877AF8-10E6-4434-99C3-CB2AE13F40B8.jpeg

7AF0DE5C-960A-489C-8EBF-BCDB1B484CAA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove by the stadium today. Field looks awesome even without the logos. Looks like they put up new field goal post or finally repainted them but they went with white instead of the funky lime green we had. Stadium is looking better and better with every project they get done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mavchamp  got a question for you. If I remember correctly didn’t the new pressbox project pictures have letters of either Mavericks or Marshall Mavericks on it?? Just thought it was nice looking when they showed that design but I’ve noticed they have never actually done that to the new pressbox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

@Mavchamp  got a question for you. If I remember correctly didn’t the new pressbox project pictures have letters of either Mavericks or Marshall Mavericks on it?? Just thought it was nice looking when they showed that design but I’ve noticed they have never actually done that to the new pressbox. 

You are correct.  It wasn’t an actual photo though. Just a Computer generated image. 
 


 

 

432ED671-2A80-4EF7-AF27-30565373AF04.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You are correct.  It wasn’t an actual photo though. Just a Computer generated image. 

 

Hopefully they’ll eventually do this to the pressbox. IMO it looks great and gives it more character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

Hopefully they’ll eventually do this to the pressbox. IMO it looks great and gives it more character. 

agree..... It would look great.

The MISD school board and Dr. Gibson have done an outstanding job of upgrading the athletic facilities without a bond the last couple of years.  

The Wish List for Maverick Stadium is getting shorter and shorter.  They have addressed just about all of the biggest issues now minus the concessions area.   There are a few things I'd selfishly like to see....

Red Stadium chairs on the home side for reserved seating. 
New Bleachers for the rest of the stadium.
East wall behind the endzone painted white.... or bright red (it's kinda faded into a maroon color)
New entryways/ticket booths for Home and visitor's sides
Permanent Booster club spot

When this is all done....it's going to be a place the team and the community can be proud of.

And I can't wait to see the new gym....  it's going to look fantastic.   

More to come!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lufkin is in the current construction phase of a nice addition right behind the Abe Martin scoreboard.  A new 65,800 sq ft Multi Purpose Facility , $13.6M.  It will have new dressing rooms available for basketball/football, coaches offices for basketball and volleyball,  new training rooms, a new 2200 seat basketball area, a second gym with portable seating for practice and tournament games.  A new video scoreboard control room for football is suppose to be an addition too.  Added parking areas and roadway lighting.  Behind the gym and across the creek construction is ongoing on the new baseball/softball complex, with turf fields and LED lighting, new coaches offices, dressing rooms, batting cages and training rooms, $5.25M  Also they will have an expansion of the existing tennis complex adding 6 new courts for a total of 12 courts in the same area as the baseball/softball complex.   New parking lots, driveways and entry roadways will be added to all the new sites and around the football stadium.   Also, a new $60M Middle School is in the contract stages to begin this summer.  There is nothing on the horizon for football stadium improvements, unless they do it without bond money.

87288548_2765162670248404_2129828789792800768_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin is in the current construction phase of a nice addition right behind the Abe Martin scoreboard.  A new 65,800 sq ft Multi Purpose Facility , $13.6M.  It will have new dressing rooms available for basketball/football, coaches offices for basketball and volleyball,  new training rooms, a new 2200 seat basketball area, a second gym with portable seating for practice and tournament games.  A new video scoreboard control room for football is suppose to be an addition too.  Added parking areas and roadway lighting.  Behind the gym and across the creek construction is ongoing on the new baseball/softball complex, with turf fields and LED lighting, new coaches offices, dressing rooms, batting cages and training rooms, $5.25M  Also they will have an expansion of the existing tennis complex adding 6 new courts for a total of 12 courts in the same area as the baseball/softball complex.   New parking lots, driveways and entry roadways will be added to all the new sites and around the football stadium.   Also, a new $60M Middle School is in the contract stages to begin this summer.  There is nothing on the horizon for football stadium improvements, unless they do it without bond money.

87288548_2765162670248404_2129828789792800768_o.jpg

Great news for LiSD.   Can’t wait to see that gym.

Bonds are hard sales in East Texas. No matter how badly they are needed for some schools.  So glad MISD took care of that back in 2016.  Now every student in MISD is in a brand new school K-8th.  Not many districts can say that. 

MHS has gotten about $15M in renovations (Non athletic)... another $15M is probably needed.  They are smartly doing it without bonds. 

All the athletic improvements have come without bonds too.  Stadium, softball, baseball, tennis, gym.  It’s exciting to see us with first rate facilities again. I think The gym is going to to be spectacular when it’s finished this summer.  

Lots of good things happening. More coming in the horizon.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JeffWrong said:

Is there a video of the proposed multi-purpose facility?

We have not seen an interor design of any kind as yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...