The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Yeah they went for it twice but it was one of those too close to punt and too far for a FG.   Neither the passing game or the running game was especially effective all night.  I give LC's defense a lot of credit.  QB did not have near the time he usually does.

In the 2nd half the defense just flat shut them down giving us continuous field position advantage. I think we just wore them down.  Our defense rush was just relentless in the 2nd half.  We fumbled the kickoff to start the 2nd half and just pushed them backwards their entire possession. They never recovered.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Why be a douche about it?  Nac doesn’t pick their district.  They compete where they are put... and they dominate.  just say congrats and move on.  Don’t see the point in trying to lessen thei

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Posted Images

THS’s first possession, the Tigers moved the ball on LC only to have a pass intercepted in the end zone. This seemed to fire up the LC defense. Their front seven was very good. They pressured the timing of the QB, made some timely sacks, and strung out the run. That being said, the Tiger defense shut down LC. Their touchdown came on a run up the middle where the MLB was having his jersey removed as their back went by. While the missed call resulted in 7 points, I thought the game was well officiated. It had to be blatant for the flag to be thrown. They let the players decide the outcome.

• Like 1

9-5A represented well although some thought they had no chance!!

THigh and PT with a win. PT closer than I thought. I don't see THigh losing this region. 

WH loses a barn burner to Montgomery. Had the lead 31-28. Montgomery gets an INT that leads to FG. WH marches down the field next possession & gets a turnover on downs on the 35 going in with 23 seconds left!! Montgomery runs the ball and hits it 65 yards for a TD with 10 seconds left! I think they were playing for OT. Unbelievable game in the Fog Bowl. Hate that WH takes the L but lots of young WH talent. 

I can see Huntsville, THigh, PT, & Montgomery advancing to Round 3. At least 2 out of 4. 

• Like 1

Longview/Lancaster Friday 7:30 at Mesquite Memorial
Texas High/Crosby Friday 7 PM at  SFASU
Pine Tree Vs. Nederland- Saturday 2PM at SFASU

Going to try and make it to the Texas High game Fri.... and if I can talk my way out of a wedding on Saturday.... I'll go to PT's game too lmao.  

17 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Tiger fans, what was up with that T High offense in the first half?

LC was filling the gaps and bringing an extra man on the outside and up the middle.  That had the offensive line off all night and they could not locate and block the rushers.  I did not understand some of the THS play calling also.  The OL has to pick it up from here on out and there are some players that have got to keep their tempers in check.  They should have had a couple of unsportsmanlike penalties called against them that were not.  QB was definitely off with high throws and one of the wide receivers has to stop sulking when he does not get the ball because the QB had defenders in his face all night and could not go through his progressions.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JoeBurns23 said:

9-5A represented well although some thought they had no chance!!

THigh and PT with a win. PT closer than I thought. I don't see THigh losing this region. 

WH loses a barn burner to Montgomery. Had the lead 31-28. Montgomery gets an INT that leads to FG. WH marches down the field next possession & gets a turnover on downs on the 35 going in with 23 seconds left!! Montgomery runs the ball and hits it 65 yards for a TD with 10 seconds left! I think they were playing for OT. Unbelievable game in the Fog Bowl. Hate that WH takes the L but lots of young WH talent. 

I can see Huntsville, THigh, PT, & Montgomery advancing to Round 3. At least 2 out of 4. 

Agreed. 

T-High,  might’ve been ugly but still dominant from most accounts I’ve heard. Defense is llllllllegit. Think the O-Line will struggle with the more athletic D-Line’s but they got dudes everywhere. Also, nice to have the District #1 seed not pee down their leg in Bi-District. Way to represent. 

PT, couldn’t be happier for Coach Lane. Don’t personally know him, but have followed his story and and his teams. Think they have a shot at Nederland. Like a good one. 

Both 2 vs. 3 games played pretty even. Felt both 3 seeds could’ve won. Thought WH outplayed Montgomery, tough way to lose. Lots and lots of young talent in WH, they’ll be back. 

Nac hung tough, Huntsville is just the real deal. Southern does a great job there.

Good luck to all 9 and 10-5A teams left. Keep collecting gold balls. 

2 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

ART BRILES IS LEAVING MOUNT VERNON, PLEASE COME TO TYLER HIGH ART PLEASE!!

lollll

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

By the way, shocked not to see a thread for Legacy/Cedar Hill.  Lee/Legacy won their first playoff game in almost a decade last week. 

It would be kinda a waste IMO, do we really expect legacy to compete in that game? 

2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

It would be kinda a waste IMO, do we really expect legacy to compete in that game? 

They are playing 2 more games than most of us are.  

I wouldn’t be throwing rocks at them. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

They are playing 2 more games than most of us are.  

I wouldn’t be throwing rocks at them. 

Ehh. I mean I don’t know I feel Iike making it only to the first or second round is still like missing the playoffs. Idk that’s just my opinion. A lot of that has to do because 4 teams can the make the playoffs so it’s not really an accomplishment to make it in the playoffs. Unless you go 3 or more rounds.

13 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Ehh. I mean I don’t know I feel Iike making it only to the first or second round is still like missing the playoffs. Idk that’s just my opinion. A lot of that has to do because 4 teams can the make the playoffs so it’s not really an accomplishment to make it in the playoffs. Unless you go 3 or more rounds.

Nah bruh...I give them some props. Much better season than Cujo (although I know the bar was set low...lol).  

I think if Tyler High was having the season they are having, conversations would probably be alot different on this forum. 

34 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Ehh. I mean I don’t know I feel Iike making it only to the first or second round is still like missing the playoffs.

That’s crazy talk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Nah bruh...I give them some props. Much better season than Cujo (although I know the bar was set low...lol).  

I think if Tyler High was having the season they are having, conversations would probably be alot different on this forum. 

Of course better than us. But legacy acting like making to the second round is like making to state. LOL. When they don’t even realize they about to get a 50 piece handed to them on Saturday lmao. 

46 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

That’s just a sad outlook IMHO. 

If a season is only a success or only fun if you make it three or more rounds deep is setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment. 

Sure you want high expectations..... but there is also a such thing as enjoying the ride.  

But yeah.   I gotta disagree with you on this. 

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Truth. 
And if not..... shame on the fandom. 

34 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Now you know y’all would go crazy if y’all had a stretch of losing in the first or second round every year almost. That’s not a accomplishment for longview

Of course we’d go crazy. Doesn’t mean making the playoffs isn’t an accomplishment though.

We celebrated 20 years straight, this season, of making it. We still had first and second round losses thrown in there.

4 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

JT had threads all year. How many of those were a “waste”.....

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

JT had threads all year. How many of those were a “waste”.....

A lot of them trust me, everybody knows how I felt about us this season, you must haven’t been watching I post about that team LOL.