Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Why be a douche about it?  Nac doesn’t pick their district.  They compete where they are put... and they dominate.  just say congrats and move on.  Don’t see the point in trying to lessen thei

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Posted Images

5 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

The girls were supposed to start district last week. The boys begin district next week. First district game is Longview.

Yeah.... the MP ladies are missing all three distinct games so far.

Might just be a coincidence that MPs games are the three missing. But it makes me wonder if they haven’t played.   Guess we’ll know soon enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

DISTRICT 15-5A BOYS BASKETBALL
Sulphur Springs 2-0
Hallsville 2-0
Mount Pleasant 1-0
Texas High 1-1
Pine Tree 0-1
Marshall 0-2
Longview 0-2

Game 2- Jan 2
Sulphur Springs beat Marshall 68-48
Mount Pleasant beat Longview 63-50
Hallsville beat Texas High 52-50
Pine Tree- OFF

Sulphur Springs and Hallsville are knotted up at the top of the district at (2-0) as the Wildcats continue their annual romp through district play.  The Bobcats are proving to possibly be the most improved team from last season.  MP, the defending district champion improved to (10-0) on the season with their big win over Longview.  Pine Tree was idle in district play (playing White Oak).  Marshall and Longview are struggling and winless early on in district play.

District play will resume on Tuesday.

-----------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A GIRLS BASKETBALL
Hallsville 4-0
Texas High 3-1
Marshall 2-1
Sulphur Springs 1-2
Mt. Pleasant 0-0
Longview 0-2
Pine Tree 0-3

Ladies were idle over the weekend.  They will resume on Tuesday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16-5A Basketball

Girls

Huntsville 8-6

Lufkin 6-7

Jacksonville 6-7

Nacogdoches 4-8-Enters District on a 3 game winning streak

Whitehouse 3-5-Coming off 2 week quarantine. 

Tyler 2-5

 

District Starts tonight 1/5/2021

Tyler @ Huntsville

Nacogdoches @ Whitehouse

Jacksonville @ Lufkin 

Jacksonville and Lufkin battled for the top spot a year ago. 

 

Boys

Whitehouse 7-3

Lufkin 10-5

Tyler 6-5

Jacksonville 4-4

Nacogdoches 6-8

Huntsville 0-0-Not showing any games played or even being scheduled until District starts-Max Preps or District website

Tonight 

Whitehouse @ Mineola

Sulphur Springs @ Nacogdoches

Carthage @ Jacksonville

Nacogdoches has been the Co-District Champs the last 2 years. Huntsville went to the regional finals last year. Lufkin and Whitehouse look like they have started the year off strong while Nac. has been very inconsistent. Nac is replacing 3 starters that are playing college basketball this year. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

 

Wow, the Lady Lobos....I remember back in the day with Tommy Aldridge as the coach they were unbeatable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DISTRICT 15-5A BOYS BASKETBALL
Hallsville 3-0
Sulphur Springs 2-0
Mount Pleasant 2-0
Texas High 1-2
Longview 1-2
Pine Tree 0-2
Marshall 0-3
 

Game 3- Jan 5
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 78-73
Mount Pleasant beat Texas High 59-45
Longview beat Marshall 75-56
Sulphur Springs - OFF 
 

Hallsville took sole possession of first place with their third district win, while SS was idle from district play.  Defending district champion MP continues to pile on the wins (11-0)?  Longview got their first district win, while Marshall and PT remain winless.

-----------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A GIRLS BASKETBALL
Hallsville 5-0
Mount Pleasant 1-0
Marshall 3-1
Texas High 3-2
Sulphur Springs 1-2
Longview 0-3
Pine Tree 0-4

Game 5- Jan 5
Marshall beat Longview 48-14
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 62-19
Mt. Pleasant beat Texas High- 50-46
Sulphur Springs- OFF

Hallsville continues to dominate as they remain all alone in first place.  Marshall and Texas High are tied for second place with SS sitting in fourth place.  Longview and Pine Tree are both still looking for their first wins in district play.  For the fifth game in a row... no MP score is being found or reported.  I'm guessing MP isn't playing right now.  Possibly COVID?  No idea...but they have NO district games reported.  

----------------

DISTRICT 16-5A GIRLS BASKETBALL
Lufkin 1-0
Huntsville 1-0
Nacogdoches 1-0
Whitehouse 0-1 
Tyler 0-1
Jacksonville 0-1

Game 1- Jan 5
Lufkin beat Jax 32-22
Huntsville beat Tyler 53-38
Nac beat Whitehouse- 31-28

The district championship has gone between Jacksonville and Lufkin lately.... but now there is a new threat thanks to Huntsville, who is coming off of a regional tourney appearance last season.  This could be a fun race for the top 3 slots.  

 

District 16 Boys start loop play on Jan 12th
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

What is the deal with Longview Basketball?

You would think they would not be struggling so much dropping down a classification.

Are you talking about girls hoops, because I think the boys won last night. 

I do know that several b-ball starters have been playing football, so my expectation is that they'll start to turn things around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LOL said:

Are you talking about girls hoops, because I think the boys won last night. 

I do know that several b-ball starters have been playing football, so my expectation is that they'll start to turn things around. 

I was asking about both teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 12:12 AM, Mavchamp said:

 

Had no clue he was an alum. He is one of my favorite twitter follows currently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

What is the deal with Longview Basketball?

You would think they would not be struggling so much dropping down a classification.

Well, to get one thing out of the way right off the bat.....

Classification really doesnt matter much in basketball. 3A-6A, everyone has the same 13-15 players.

Yates usually will whoop anyone in the state in hoops...but isnt exactly the biggest school.

So....getting to Longview...

Girls hoops hasnt been good since Aldridge left a decade ago. He was 908-180 in his 32 years at LHS with state hardware. He was not only a good coach, but very active in the community and truly did groom the Longview ladies from youth. You can't build a house without foundation. So, Longview girls simply lack the culture and coaching.

We get to the boys....who have actually been on an upward trend in that last decade compared to the 2000s when they were bad...Longview is pretty young this year. Many Freshmen on the roster...all of which have promising futures in both football and basketball. Several guys like DK Reese, Jay Darensbourg and Chris Wilder are all already at least 6'2 and will be a problem on the football field long term as well.

Now, they just got back varsity football guys like Jalen Hale and Kybo Jackson-Jamerson...and you immediately saw the difference when they played Marshall yesterday. Hale was especially important because not only is he a major FBS recruit in football, hes also a FBS recruit in basketball as well. Reminder that he's only a sophomore. As that fresh-soph group age, Lobo basketball will get better. So will football...and heck baseball too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The girl's team is just awful. Culture and coaching no doubt have an impact, but this is next level stuff. That was just our second loss to Marshall since 1980. Program has just completely dropped off the face of the earth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

DISTRICT 15-5A BOYS BASKETBALL
Hallsville 3-0
Sulphur Springs 2-0
Mount Pleasant 2-0
Texas High 1-2
Longview 1-2
Pine Tree 0-2
Marshall 0-3
 

Game 3- Jan 5
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 78-73
Mount Pleasant beat Texas High 59-45
Longview beat Marshall 75-56
Sulphur Springs - OFF 
 

Hallsville took sole possession of first place with their third district win, while SS was idle from district play.  Defending district champion MP continues to pile on the wins (11-0)?  Longview got their first district win, while Marshall and PT remain winless.

-----------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A GIRLS BASKETBALL
Hallsville 5-0
Marshall 3-1
Texas High 3-1
Sulphur Springs 1-2
Mt. Pleasant 0-0
Longview 0-3
Pine Tree 0-4

Game 5- Jan 5
Marshall beat Longview 48-14
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 62-19
Mt. Pleasant Vs. Texas High- NO SCORE
Sulphur Springs- OFF

Hallsville continues to dominate as they remain all alone in first place.  Marshall and Texas High are tied for second place with SS sitting in fourth place.  Longview and Pine Tree are both still looking for their first wins in district play.  For the fifth game in a row... no MP score is being found or reported.  I'm guessing MP isn't playing right now.  Possibly COVID?  No idea...but they have NO district games reported.  

----------------

DISTRICT 16-5A GIRLS BASKETBALL
Lufkin 1-0
Huntsville 1-0
Nacogdoches 0-0
Whitehouse 0-0 
Tyler 0-1
Jacksonville 0-1

Game 1- Jan 5
Lufkin beat Jax 32-22
Huntsville beat Tyler 53-38
Nac Vs. Whitehouse- SCORE???

The district championship has gone between Jacksonville and Lufkin lately.... but now there is a new threat thanks to Huntsville, who is coming off of a regional tourney appearance last season.  This could be a fun race for the top 3 slots.  

 

District 16 Boys start loop play on Jan 12th
 

Nacs men defeated Sulphur Spring 58-53 in OT last night

Nacs girls defeated WH-31-28

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Well, to get one thing out of the way right off the bat.....

Classification really doesnt matter much in basketball. 3A-6A, everyone has the same 13-15 players.

Yates usually will whoop anyone in the state in hoops...but isnt exactly the biggest school.

So....getting to Longview...

Girls hoops hasnt been good since Aldridge left a decade ago. He was 908-180 in his 32 years at LHS with state hardware. He was not only a good coach, but very active in the community and truly did groom the Longview ladies from youth. You can't build a house without foundation. So, Longview girls simply lack the culture and coaching.

We get to the boys....who have actually been on an upward trend in that last decade compared to the 2000s when they were bad...Longview is pretty young this year. Many Freshmen on the roster...all of which have promising futures in both football and basketball. Several guys like DK Reese, Jay Darensbourg and Chris Wilder are all already at least 6'2 and will be a problem on the football field long term as well.

Now, they just got back varsity football guys like Jalen Hale and Kybo Jackson-Jamerson...and you immediately saw the difference when they played Marshall yesterday. Hale was especially important because not only is he a major FBS recruit in football, hes also a FBS recruit in basketball as well. Reminder that he's only a sophomore. As that fresh-soph group age, Lobo basketball will get better. So will football...and heck baseball too.

That makes sense. I'm not sure I agree about 3A though. There is a big difference between like Tatum (3A) and Harleton (3A).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That makes sense. I'm not sure I agree about 3A though. There is a big difference between like Tatum (3A) and Harleton (3A).

I'm saying I bet Tatum would beat Tyler High in basketball. 

Football is entirely different though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LOL said:

<sigh> Welp @Quick, looks like Riley's gonna sleep on yet another Lobo. 

Would be a mistake. 

To be fair though, if a certain ACC team offers, it'll be hard to top it. He named that school in the video. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...