2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

30 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The biggest gap between the metros and the outliers will show in 5A soccer.  6A is almost exclusively metros and 4A is almost exclusively outside of metros.  5A has such a big mix of schools and at some point someone is going to run into one of the schools where their entire soccer team plays on a nationally ranked club team in DFW... there is just more of an opportunity to really build those soccer skills that any great football or basketball player can’t step off the court/out of pads and do.  

I agree. Also, what I see is schools can be classified as 5A and be playing with 3A-4A numbers, especially on the girls side. Example being Mount Pleasant. Many of the girls who play soccer also play other sports. Difficult for girls to work on a particular sport year around when they are playing different sports in different seasons. 

1 hour ago, TigerNahum17 said:

I agree. Also, what I see is schools can be classified as 5A and be playing with 3A-4A numbers, especially on the girls side. Example being Mount Pleasant. Many of the girls who play soccer also play other sports. Difficult for girls to work on a particular sport year around when they are playing different sports in different seasons. 

Yep.  That is where our girls soccer team in Mineral Wells will see a huge drop off next year.  Our best players will also be playing basketball and do not play soccer outside of what they get at the school.  The boys will be average next year and see a HUGE uptick from the freshman class... possibly a state title in the next 5 years in Mineral Wells if they project the way I think they should.  But most of the boys out here only play soccer and compete in Aledo, Weatherford, and Ft. Worth.  

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The biggest gap between the metros and the outliers will show in 5A soccer.  6A is almost exclusively metros and 4A is almost exclusively outside of metros.  5A has such a big mix of schools and at some point someone is going to run into one of the schools where their entire soccer team plays on a nationally ranked club team in DFW... there is just more of an opportunity to really build those soccer skills that any great football or basketball player can’t step off the court/out of pads and do.  

Very good point about 5A being the one with the most metro/non-metro mix. 

6A is absolutely mostly suburban.  4A is mostly rural. 

5A is the middle child.  Sadly ETX 5A  soccer is fashioned more like 4A and less like 6A. 

Until that changes.... it is what it is.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Very good point about 5A being the one with the most metro/non-metro mix. 

6A is absolutely mostly suburban.  4A is mostly rural. 

5A is the middle child.  Sadly ETX 5A  soccer is fashioned more like 4A and less like 6A. 

Until that changes.... it is what it is.  

Mind you, 2 years ago MP girls and boys both played at the Regional tournament. Jacksonville was also there for the boys. 

32 minutes ago, TigerNahum17 said:

Mind you, 2 years ago MP girls and boys both played at the Regional tournament. Jacksonville was also there for the boys. 

We’ve definitely improved.  Lufkin won state a couple of years ago. 

But overall.... it appears we still lag behind. 

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

We’ve definitely improved.  Lufkin won state a couple of years ago. 

But overall.... it appears we still lag behind. 

We do for sure, but a lot of the problem, at least for MP is sheer numbers. You have said it many times before, depth always seems to get us (MP) in the end. So many of our students, district wide I would probably think also, do not participate in sports, for whatever reason.  Sports are such a vital part to a school, the kids and their community; they give the people a common goal to rally behind. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TigerNahum17 said:

We do for sure, but a lot of the problem, at least for MP is sheer numbers. You have said it many times before, depth always seems to get us (MP) in the end. So many of our students, district wide I would probably think also, do not participate in sports, for whatever reason.  Sports are such a vital part to a school, the kids and their community; they give the people a common goal to rally behind. 

I find this pretty remarkable/interesting. It’s not lot MP doesn’t have history of good teams either. Hopefully that somehow changes.

23 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Drake Lets Go GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Man. You would’ve lost it with us.

I had just said we’ve dominated all game, they’re gonna get one chance..and they did with 3 minutes to go. Was great to see our boys not give up like we’ve seen some Lobo teams in the past. 1:50 to go in the game and Johnny puts that free kick home. Insanity. Then we finally pot some of the chances we had been getting in extra time.

I do want to commend the Cats on their crowd and bringing their cheerleaders. Wish our cheerleaders showed even half of the energy they did tonight. We can barely get them to perform at football games.

12 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Man. You would’ve lost it with us.

I had just said we’ve dominated all game, they’re gonna get one chance..and they did with 3 minutes to go. Was great to see our boys not give up like we’ve seen some Lobo teams in the past. 1:50 to go in the game and Johnny puts that free kick home. Insanity. Then we finally pot some of the chances we had been getting in extra time.

I do want to commend the Cats on their crowd and bringing their cheerleaders. Wish our cheerleaders showed even half of the energy they did tonight. We can barely get them to perform at football games.

I'll try to catch the next one with y'all...govt is stingy with the off days at the moment.

Got off days approved for spring ball though 😊

• Like 1

Lufkin won 10-3 over Jacksonville on Thursday night, sweeping the season series 3-0.  Lufkin pitching gave up 1 hit in 14 innings this week, a few too many walks in the 3rd last night, otherwise pitching depth is a strong position for Lufkin. 

Whitehouse won over Nacogdoches 6-4 to sweep their series with the Dragons.  This leaves Lufkin and Whitehouse tied for the district lead at 6-1.   

THIRD ROUND SOCCER PLAYOFF SCORES
Longview beat Sulphur Springs 3-1 IN OT
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin- 6:30 Friday night in Lufkin

FOURTH ROUND SOCCER MATCHUPS
Longview Vs. Frisco/Frisco Centennial Winner
Nacogdoches/Lufkin winner Vs. Frisco Wakeland/ R L Turner winner
-----------------------------------------------------

DISTRICT 15-5A SOFTBALL
Hallsville (7-1) (14-5-1)
Sulphur Springs (6-1), (15-3)
Mount Pleasant (6-2) (14-6)
Marshall (3-5), (9-7-1)
Texas High (3-4), (9-8)
Longview (2-6), (10-7)
Pine Tree (0-8) (1-17)

Game 9
Sulphur Springs beat Hallsville 3-0
Longview beat Pine Tree 12-1
Mount Pleasant beat Marshall 13-4
Texas High- OFF

The Ladycats of Sulphur Springs exacted some revenge on Hallsville with their 3-0 win over HallsvilleThursday night.  It handed Hallsville their first district loss of the season and keeps SS hot on their heels for the district championship.  They have split their games....setting up a fantastic finish to the end.  MP has continued to quietly put together an outstanding season as well as they have a three game lead over Marshall and THS for the #3 spot.  The fourth place slot seems to be the only one in question now....and it will come down to Texarkana, Marshall, and Longview.

DISTRICT 16-5A SOFTBALL
Huntsville (5-0), (19-3)
Whitehouse (4-1), (10-6-1)
Jacksonville (3-2), (8-11)
Nacogdoches (1-3), (1-11)
Lufkin (1-3), (10-8)
Tyler (0-5), (1-7-2)

Game 5
Huntsville beat Jacksonville 12-0
Whitehouse beat Tyler 21-0
Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches- PPD to Tuesday at 6PM

The Lady Hornets remain all alone in first place with their dominating win over Jacksonville; the Maidens drop into third place with the loss.  Whitehouse blew out Tyler to remain just one game behind Huntsville.  The Nac/Lufkin game, which is a CRUCIAL early game for the fourth and final playoff spot, was postponed until Tuesday.

DISTRICT 15-5A BASEBALL
Hallsville (6-0), (17-4)
Sulphur Springs (4-2), (7-12)
Texas High (4-2), (10-4-1)
Longview (4-2), (15-5-1)
Marshall (2-4), (8-11)
Mount Pleasant (1-5), (6-10)
Pine Tree (0-6), (3-14)

GAME 7
Hallsville beat Sulphur Springs 8-1
Marshall beat Mount Pleasant 5-4
Longview beat Pine Tree 7-0
Texas High- OFF

The Bobcat's win over Sulphur Springs Thursday night sent the message that Hallsville is dominate team in 15-5A as they hold a 2 game lead for the district championship.  The Wildcats now find themselves in a three way tie for second place with Texas High and Longview.   Marshall kept their dim playoff hopes alive with a walkoff win over MP.  Pine Tree remains winless.

DISTRICT 16-5A BASEBALL

Whitehouse (6-1), (17-4)
Lufkin (6-1), (17-4-1)
Nacogdoches (4-3), (16-6)
Huntsville (4-3), (11-12)
Jacksonville (1-6),  (9-12)
Tyler (0-7), (8-15)

Games 7
Whitehouse beat Nacogdoches 6-4
Huntsville beat Tyler 11-0
Lufkin beat Jacksonville 10-3

16-5A has three very good baseball teams in Whitehouse, Lufkin, and Nacogdoches.  The race to the finish should be a good one.  WH beat Nac to knock the dragons down to third place tie with Huntsville.  Lufkin remains tied with the Wildcats with their win over Jacksonville, both are (6-1) in loop play.  Huntsville is hanging tough for a playoff slot.

9 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Haven’t seen a Wakeland/Turner score but in Region II Semis we have..

Longview vs Frisco
Nacogdoches vs Frisco Wakeland/Carrollton RL Turner

Locations and dates tbd

Wakeland tied up with Turner at 2-2. Turner’s had 2 1-goal leads but couldn’t keep them.

15-5A MENS TRACK FINAL STANDINGS
1.  Longview 123
2.  Pine Tree 121
3.  Mount Pleasant 119
4.  Marshall 93
5.  Texas High 69
6.  Hallsville 50
7.  Sulphur Springs 45

I honestly don't recall a district race being this close between the top 3 teams...... 4 points separating first place from third place.  Wowzers.  Great day of competition......

The track events were intense between Longview, PT, and Marshall.  Some incredible races.  No doubt those are the three speed schools in the district.  

Fun day.

--------------

15-5A WOMENS TRACK FINAL STANDINGS
1.  Longview 172
2.  Hallsville 113
3.  Texas High 101
4.  Marshall 95
5.  Pine Tree 65
6.  Sulphur Springs 65
7.  Mount Pleasant 8

Total domination by Longview. The race was for 2-4..... which easily could have ended in any order between Halls, THS, and Marshall.  Field events were the difference maker.  But the Lady Lobos left no doubt they were the best team there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

The LOBOSSSS are headed to the Region II Final!!!!!

That’s amazing! I am so proud of what those guys have accomplished.

Incredible test coming up in region finals but definitely not going to doubt them.

• Like 1