The Smoakhouse Forums

2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone from Whitehouse complaining about class and sportsmanship... That's irony. Sports or not.

Well "those" you spoke with really weren't paying very close attention then. While it wasn't a large score disparity it wasn't really that close of a call especially statistically.  Marshall

Longview schedules Beaumont West Brook to replace West Monroe. Game will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Lufkin.

Posted Images

This is the new white helmet.   Can’t wait to see the black helmet. 

• Like 2

The newspaper article from yesterday reported an average attendance of 234 at workouts this week.  

Not a bad start.  

JT had a long run of very good QBs from Toke to Bush to Ward to Geo to Smith and you could through Woods in there too, but now the position seems shaky with Ford leaving and the kid going to Whitehouse.   The fresh qb last yr was pretty good , so maybe he is the future. I know Cujo83 like the kid from Boulter too. 

• Like 1

Woooow.  
wasn’t crazy about some of the black helmets from the past.  But these are sharp! 

• Like 1

Marshall will scrimmage Frisco Wakeland in Athens 

They will scrimmage JT in Marshall. 

Not sure of the order, dates, or times.  

TBD 

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The newspaper article from yesterday reported an average attendance of 234 at workouts this week.  

Not a bad start.  

wow.   JT has been around 130-140 range.  

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall will scrimmage Frisco Wakeland in Athens 

They will scrimmage JT in Marshall. 

Not sure of the order, dates, or times.  

TBD 

so with no sping ball this yr, will everyone have 2 scrimmage games this yr?

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Woooow.  
wasn’t crazy about some of the black helmets from the past.  But these are sharp! 

i usually like the all black look but i like the white helmets better for some reason. yall always have some good looks.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

so with no sping ball this yr, will everyone have 2 scrimmage games this yr?

Yep.

Longview scrimmages Lufkin and Texas High.

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

That's one of the main reasons why I don't have JT winning state in the near future. You can win with those numbers in 4a and below. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

That's one of the main reasons why I don't have JT winning state in the near future. You can win with those numbers in 4a and below. 

Generally speaking, low numbers are bad.  However,  JT usually has historically low numbers.  They have been to the 4th round or better 6 time in past 11 seasons (3 of those were semi finals) with a roster of 45 to 55 kids.    Despite the low numbers, JT has always had alot of talent.  Just look at number of Div.1 players produced at the school. 

If you add it up, its normally about 50 fresh, another 40 or so on JV and about 50 on varsity.  Having about 140 kids is normal.  Besides, its the summer and Coach has said he is expecting more kids...but I doubt JT ever has more than about 160-170 kids. 

If JT doesn't win state, it will have more to do with other factors, not the numbers. 

3 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Good grief. Wonder what Lee's numbers have been like...

Longview had 300+ this week according to LNJ.

8 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Good grief. Wonder what Lee's numbers have been like...

Longview had 300+ this week according to LNJ.

I would bet close to 200 kids. They have about 230 in their program last yr. 

46 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Generally speaking, low numbers are bad.  However,  JT usually has historically low numbers.  They have been to the 4th round or better 6 time in past 11 seasons (3 of those were semi finals) with a roster of 45 to 55 kids.    Despite the low numbers, JT has always had alot of talent.  Just look at number of Div.1 players produced at the school. 

If you add it up, its normally about 50 fresh, another 40 or so on JV and about 50 on varsity.  Having about 140 kids is normal.  Besides, its the summer and Coach has said he is expecting more kids...but I doubt JT ever has more than about 160-170 kids. 

If JT doesn't win state, it will have more to do with other factors, not the numbers. 

JT propably has between 150 to 160 kids between the 3 levels. We'll have about 45 to 50 on varsity, 40 on JV, and around 60 freshman. There are alot of reasons for this. 

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT had 35 this past season. They didn't have a bunch of Fred Ross, Greg Ward, Bryson Smith, and etc. caliber players either. Even with those types of players they still didn't win. You have to have depth. You can't keep playing guys both ways in 5a division 1 and expect to win. There are other factors why they haven't won. I don't want to get into all of that. But not having the numbers is one of them. All the top programs in the state don't fall off like JT did because they have the numbers. Name me a top program that went 10-4 the previous season and then went 3-8 the next season. It just doesn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, VonG said:

JT had 35 this past season. They didn't have a bunch of Fred Ross, Greg Ward, Bryson Smith, and etc. caliber players either. Even with those types of players they still didn't win. You have to have depth. You can't keep playing guys both ways in 5a division 1 and expect to win. There are other factors why they haven't won. I don't want to get into all of that. But not having the numbers is one of them. All the top programs in the state don't fall off like JT did because they have the numbers. Name me a top program that went 10-4 the previous season and that went 3-8 the next season. It just doesn't happen. 

A lot of truth here

I thought 234 seemed a little low for us.  I was expecting more. 

But after hearing some other 5A schools numbers, I’m feeling better about it. 

Would never expect Longview numbers. They have 700 more students than us.  

But seems above average from what I’m hearing for our district mates. 

3 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Mark this down: Pine Tree and Mt. Pleasant will finished in top 3 of district. GET READY!! Huge CHANGE

Pine Tree I won’t argue. I expect them to compete with Marshall and Texas High. 

Hard pass on MP for me.  They have a serious numbers problem.  Defensive issues galore. That’s hard to correct overnight. 

jmho. 

26 minutes ago, VonG said:

JT had 35 this past season. They didn't have a bunch of Fred Ross, Greg Ward, Bryson Smith, and etc. caliber players either. Even with those types of players they still didn't win. You have to have depth. You can't keep playing guys both ways in 5a division 1 and expect to win. There are other factors why they haven't won. I don't want to get into all of that. But not having the numbers is one of them. All the top programs in the state don't fall off like JT did because they have the numbers. Name me a top program that went 10-4 the previous season and that went 3-8 the next season. It just doesn't happen. 

I do agree that low numbers probably affect them being contenders every yr, but there are lots of schools with better numbers than JT that have had less success.  What good is numbers if you don't have talent.

JT wasn't good last yr because the talent was way down, and didn't help that the schedule was a little tough. The Ford situation didn't help either. 

The numbers aren't going to change at JT. They been like this since the 90s and JT has probably produced just as many div.1 players, if not more than many of the top schools in Texas 

All Im saying is that they could have won in 2010 and 2012 with 45-55 kids and they have other deep runs too.. And they moved up to 6a and won the district.  But when Toke, Bryson Smith, Greg Ward, and etc is walking through the door, that helps.  Its going to be good yrs and bad yrs, but on the good yrs, JT can make deep runs and contend.  I think there are other factors that could be done to make JT a better program, but I ain't diving into that. 

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I do agree that low numbers probably affect them being contenders every yr, but there are lots of schools with better numbers than JT that have had less success.  What good is numbers if you don't have talent.

JT wasn't good last yr because the talent was way down, and didn't help that the schedule was a little tough. The Ford situation didn't help either. 

The numbers aren't going to change at JT. They been like this since the 90s and JT has probably produced just as many div.1 players, if not more than many of the top schools in Texas 

All Im saying is that they could have won in 2010 and 2012 with 45-55 kids and they have other deep runs too.. And they moved up to 6a and won the district.  But when Toke, Bryson Smith, Greg Ward, and etc is walking through the door, that helps.  Its going to be good yrs and bad yrs, but on the good yrs, JT can make deep runs and contend.  I think there are other factors that could be done to make JT a better program, but I ain't diving into that. 

VERY WELL SAID! Like I have said on previous posts, JT is loaded in the sophomore and incoming freshman classes. JT'S numbers are what they are and JT will deal with it the best they can. Last year's team was talent depleted in some areas(wr core and o line). JT returns 70 to 80% of their team from last year. We will be competitive across the board IMO, but wish we were more stable at the qb position.