2020-21 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall will scrimmage Frisco Wakeland in Athens 

They will scrimmage JT in Marshall. 

Not sure of the order, dates, or times.  

TBD 

so with no sping ball this yr, will everyone have 2 scrimmage games this yr?

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Woooow.  
wasn’t crazy about some of the black helmets from the past.  But these are sharp! 

i usually like the all black look but i like the white helmets better for some reason. yall always have some good looks.

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

wow.   JT has been around 130-140 range.  

That's one of the main reasons why I don't have JT winning state in the near future. You can win with those numbers in 4a and below. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

That's one of the main reasons why I don't have JT winning state in the near future. You can win with those numbers in 4a and below. 

Generally speaking, low numbers are bad.  However,  JT usually has historically low numbers.  They have been to the 4th round or better 6 time in past 11 seasons (3 of those were semi finals) with a roster of 45 to 55 kids.    Despite the low numbers, JT has always had alot of talent.  Just look at number of Div.1 players produced at the school. 

If you add it up, its normally about 50 fresh, another 40 or so on JV and about 50 on varsity.  Having about 140 kids is normal.  Besides, its the summer and Coach has said he is expecting more kids...but I doubt JT ever has more than about 160-170 kids. 

If JT doesn't win state, it will have more to do with other factors, not the numbers. 

3 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

wow.   JT has been around 130-140 range.  

Good grief. Wonder what Lee's numbers have been like...

Longview had 300+ this week according to LNJ.

46 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Generally speaking, low numbers are bad.  However,  JT usually has historically low numbers.  They have been to the 4th round or better 6 time in past 11 seasons (3 of those were semi finals) with a roster of 45 to 55 kids.    Despite the low numbers, JT has always had alot of talent.  Just look at number of Div.1 players produced at the school. 

If you add it up, its normally about 50 fresh, another 40 or so on JV and about 50 on varsity.  Having about 140 kids is normal.  Besides, its the summer and Coach has said he is expecting more kids...but I doubt JT ever has more than about 160-170 kids. 

If JT doesn't win state, it will have more to do with other factors, not the numbers. 

JT propably has between 150 to 160 kids between the 3 levels. We'll have about 45 to 50 on varsity, 40 on JV, and around 60 freshman. There are alot of reasons for this. 

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT had 35 this past season. They didn't have a bunch of Fred Ross, Greg Ward, Bryson Smith, and etc. caliber players either. Even with those types of players they still didn't win. You have to have depth. You can't keep playing guys both ways in 5a division 1 and expect to win. There are other factors why they haven't won. I don't want to get into all of that. But not having the numbers is one of them. All the top programs in the state don't fall off like JT did because they have the numbers. Name me a top program that went 10-4 the previous season and then went 3-8 the next season. It just doesn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, VonG said:

JT had 35 this past season. They didn't have a bunch of Fred Ross, Greg Ward, Bryson Smith, and etc. caliber players either. Even with those types of players they still didn't win. You have to have depth. You can't keep playing guys both ways in 5a division 1 and expect to win. There are other factors why they haven't won. I don't want to get into all of that. But not having the numbers is one of them. All the top programs in the state don't fall off like JT did because they have the numbers. Name me a top program that went 10-4 the previous season and that went 3-8 the next season. It just doesn't happen. 

A lot of truth here

I thought 234 seemed a little low for us.  I was expecting more. 

But after hearing some other 5A schools numbers, I’m feeling better about it. 

Would never expect Longview numbers. They have 700 more students than us.  

But seems above average from what I’m hearing for our district mates. 

3 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Mark this down: Pine Tree and Mt. Pleasant will finished in top 3 of district. GET READY!! Huge CHANGE

Pine Tree I won’t argue. I expect them to compete with Marshall and Texas High. 

Hard pass on MP for me.  They have a serious numbers problem.  Defensive issues galore. That’s hard to correct overnight. 

jmho. 

26 minutes ago, VonG said:

JT had 35 this past season. They didn't have a bunch of Fred Ross, Greg Ward, Bryson Smith, and etc. caliber players either. Even with those types of players they still didn't win. You have to have depth. You can't keep playing guys both ways in 5a division 1 and expect to win. There are other factors why they haven't won. I don't want to get into all of that. But not having the numbers is one of them. All the top programs in the state don't fall off like JT did because they have the numbers. Name me a top program that went 10-4 the previous season and that went 3-8 the next season. It just doesn't happen. 

I do agree that low numbers probably affect them being contenders every yr, but there are lots of schools with better numbers than JT that have had less success.  What good is numbers if you don't have talent.

JT wasn't good last yr because the talent was way down, and didn't help that the schedule was a little tough. The Ford situation didn't help either. 

The numbers aren't going to change at JT. They been like this since the 90s and JT has probably produced just as many div.1 players, if not more than many of the top schools in Texas 

All Im saying is that they could have won in 2010 and 2012 with 45-55 kids and they have other deep runs too.. And they moved up to 6a and won the district.  But when Toke, Bryson Smith, Greg Ward, and etc is walking through the door, that helps.  Its going to be good yrs and bad yrs, but on the good yrs, JT can make deep runs and contend.  I think there are other factors that could be done to make JT a better program, but I ain't diving into that. 

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I do agree that low numbers probably affect them being contenders every yr, but there are lots of schools with better numbers than JT that have had less success.  What good is numbers if you don't have talent.

JT wasn't good last yr because the talent was way down, and didn't help that the schedule was a little tough. The Ford situation didn't help either. 

The numbers aren't going to change at JT. They been like this since the 90s and JT has probably produced just as many div.1 players, if not more than many of the top schools in Texas 

All Im saying is that they could have won in 2010 and 2012 with 45-55 kids and they have other deep runs too.. And they moved up to 6a and won the district.  But when Toke, Bryson Smith, Greg Ward, and etc is walking through the door, that helps.  Its going to be good yrs and bad yrs, but on the good yrs, JT can make deep runs and contend.  I think there are other factors that could be done to make JT a better program, but I ain't diving into that. 

VERY WELL SAID! Like I have said on previous posts, JT is loaded in the sophomore and incoming freshman classes. JT'S numbers are what they are and JT will deal with it the best they can. Last year's team was talent depleted in some areas(wr core and o line). JT returns 70 to 80% of their team from last year. We will be competitive across the board IMO, but wish we were more stable at the qb position. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

That's my point exactly. Toke, Bush, Ward, Geo, and Smith not walking through the doors every single year. But when you have the numbers you can still be good. Those guys I listed make you great. 

28 minutes ago, VonG said:

That's my point exactly. Toke, Bush, Ward, Geo, and Smith not walking through the doors every single year. But when you have the numbers you can still be good. Those guys I listed make you great. 

great point.   

JT has been fortunate to have so many great players walk through the door despite the low numbers.

1 hour ago, CUJONATION83 said:

VERY WELL SAID! Like I have said on previous posts, JT is loaded in the sophomore and incoming freshman classes. JT'S numbers are what they are and JT will deal with it the best they can. Last year's team was talent depleted in some areas(wr core and o line). JT returns 70 to 80% of their team from last year. We will be competitive across the board IMO, but wish we were more stable at the qb position. 

I truly believe talent can overcome depth issues. I know its not idea for players to play both ways, but even at schools with lots of depth, there will always be 2 or 3 kids you want on the field at all times...like Kitan Crawford. 

With that said, got big holes at LB this yr to fill but with a stable qb situation, they can win some games.  

I'm not debating about the number the players, because I do believe the more the better.

But serious question....How many kids actually get on the field on a Friday?   The NFL has a 53 man roster, with only 46 active each game and not every player plays.

35 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I'm not debating about the number the players, because I do believe the more the better.

But serious question....How many kids actually get on the field on a Friday?   The NFL has a 53 man roster, with only 46 active each game and not every player plays.

Those are the best of the best. You don't have that luxury at your local high school. 

On 6/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

I thought 234 seemed a little low for us.  I was expecting more. 

But after hearing some other 5A schools numbers, I’m feeling better about it. 

Would never expect Longview numbers. They have 700 more students than us.  

But seems above average from what I’m hearing for our district mates. 

Some 5a schools have around 18 players.

• Like 1

Dave Campbell's 2020 Texas Football Rankings for 5A Division I  

1. Denton Ryan

2. Frisco Lone Star

3. Longview

4. Highland Park

5. Lancaster

6. Manvel

7. Richmond Foster

8. Cedar Park

9. Red Oak

10. Amarillo Tascosa

11. Lufkin

12. Frisco Independence

13. Colleyville Heritage

14. Abilene Cooper

15. CC Veterans Memorial

16. College Station

17. CC Flour Bluff

18. FB Hightower

19. Weslaco East

20. Friendswood

21. Dripping Springs

22. Azle

23. Mansfield Summit

24. Amarillo

25. Lubbock Coronado

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Dave Campbell's 2020 Texas Football Rankings for 5A Division I  

1. Denton Ryan

2. Frisco Lone Star

3. Longview

4. Highland Park

5. Lancaster

6. Manvel

7. Richmond Foster

8. Cedar Park

9. Red Oak

10. Amarillo Tascosa

11. Lufkin

12. Frisco Independence

13. Colleyville Heritage

14. Abilene Cooper

15. CC Veterans Memorial

16. College Station

17. CC Flour Bluff

18. FB Hightower

19. Weslaco East

20. Friendswood

21. Dripping Springs

22. Azle

23. Mansfield Summit

24. Amarillo

25. Lubbock Coronado

Interested in seeing Div II. 

Texas High is a certainty I’m sure. 

Outside of them.... anything would be pleasant surprise.  

We have a couple of big questions to answer before we can be listed.  Namely at QB.  

QB Burris might be one of the hardest working kids in Marshall.  Should be a fun competition to see who grabs the position. 

2020 5A Division II  DCTF

1. Ennis

2. Aledo

3. Lubbock Cooper

4. FB Marshall

5. A&M Consolidated

6. Wichita Falls Rider

7. Mansfield Timberview

8. Frisco

9. Barbers Hill

10. Crosby

11. Boerne Champion