2020 NCAA Football

9 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Florida has given up 600 yds to Bama.  That’s not good.  I thought the sec was the best defenses? 

Gotta go with facts:  SEC is a defensive league.  The BIG12 is offense only.  PAC12 always chokes.  B10 only runs the ball.  And the only reason Clemson wins the ACC is because the rest of the conference is so bad 

• Grumpy 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Gotta go with facts:  SEC is a defensive league.  The BIG12 is offense only.  PAC12 always chokes.  B10 only runs the ball.  And the only reason Clemson wins the ACC is because the rest of the conference is so bad 

Sec is known for defense because for years the offenses were simplistic and predictable.  Offensive minded coaches started winning the league with regularity starting with spurrier.  Look at the running national titles from about 06 to 14.  All had dynamic offenses except Bama a couple of times.  They had unbelievable defenses though.  The defenses are starting to get gutted weekly now that the spread has infiltrated the league so bad.  When your championship has 100 pts and 1300 yds combined it isn’t due to great defenses.  

13 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Sec is known for defense because for years the offenses were simplistic and predictable.  Offensive minded coaches started winning the league with regularity starting with spurrier.  Look at the running national titles from about 06 to 14.  All had dynamic offenses except Bama a couple of times.  They had unbelievable defenses though.  The defenses are starting to get gutted weekly now that the spread has infiltrated the league so bad.  When your championship has 100 pts and 1300 yds combined it isn’t due to great defenses.  

I agree with this. Nick Saban has essentially said “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.” He hired Lane Kiffin in 2014 to transition his offense to keep up with changes in the game. He’s also on record as saying that it takes more than a great defense to win a championship now. Oddly, he credits Gus Malzahn with exposing the rules changes that made the RPO almost impossible to defend. Part of it is rules changes, a large part of it is offensive innovation by people like Lincoln Riley, Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin, and Gus. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree with this. Nick Saban has essentially said “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.” He hired Lane Kiffin in 2014 to transition his offense to keep up with changes in the game. He’s also on record as saying that it takes more than a great defense to win a championship now. Oddly, he credits Gus Malzahn with exposing the rules changes that made the RPO almost impossible to defend. Part of it is rules changes, a large part of it is offensive innovation by people like Lincoln Riley, Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin, and Gus. 

Kirby smart better smarten on up.  He’s getting left behind but lucky for him he’s in the east.  He can still play smash mouth and beat most teams in that division.  

4 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Agree if they stick to blue blood programs. Still the Irish have no business being in the top four. The loss is “ good” meaning Clemson but the margin not so much. Will be interesting in knowing. This proves that we should expand the playoff. Imagine if the pac and big 12 were undefeated yikes. Cincinnati and too a lesser extent coastal Carolina have a similar gripe. 

There is no point to expand. 

We all know who the top 2 teams are. We don’t need to see Alabama/Clemson blow out Ohio State/Notre Dame/Texas A&M.

Just let Alabama and Clemson play and be done with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There is no point to expand. 

We all know who the top 2 teams are. We don’t need to see Alabama/Clemson blow out Ohio State/Notre Dame/Texas A&M.

Just let Alabama and Clemson play and be done with it.

You know I've always thought the playoff is fine at 4 teams. They just need to change the way they are selected. Get rid of the committee and go back to the bcs computer formula. Numbers don't lie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Yeah I can. This will be our 7th playoff. How many times has there really been an “upset”.

The first year. Other than that it is pretty much chalk. 

I believe there are two instances of a semifinal being won by a #4 seed (2014-15 Ohio State and 2017-18 Alabama). Both of those teams went on to win the national championship. That’s two out of six years. The other four 1 vs 4 semifinals have been pretty lopsided in favor of the #1 seed. I believe there’s only one instance of a 3 seed winning a semifinal, that being Georgia in 2017, who knocked off oklahoma in OT before going on to lose to Alabama in OT. In the six years since the playoff was created, the #1 seed has only won it once (2019 LSU) while the #2 seed has won it three times (2015 BAMA and Clemson in 16 and 18.) The #3 seed has never won it. 

8 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I believe there are two instances of a semifinal being won by a #4 seed (2014-15 Ohio State and 2017-18 Alabama). Both of those teams went on to win the national championship. That’s two out of six years. The other four 1 vs 4 semifinals have been pretty lopsided in favor of the #1 seed. I believe there’s only one instance of a 3 seed winning a semifinal, that being Georgia in 2017, who knocked off oklahoma in OT before going on to lose to Alabama in OT. In the six years since the playoff was created, the #1 seed has only won it once (2019 LSU) while the #2 seed has won it three times (2015 BAMA and Clemson in 16 and 18.) The #3 seed has never won it. 

I don’t count Alabama winning as an upset. Shocker the most talented team won.

6 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Kirby smart better smarten on up.  He’s getting left behind but lucky for him he’s in the east.  He can still play smash mouth and beat most teams in that division.  

The crazy thing is, Kirby has had the personnel to change his offense. Justin Fields was originally a Bulldog.