The Smoakhouse Forums

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

People better be ready for a lot of this. The archeologists will be out in full force.

I am in no way condoning racism, I am just using this example as a catalyst to make a comment about people bringing things up that happened in the past and complaining about it or applying today’s standards to it now.

If someone texted or said something to you or about you 3, 5,  10 years ago, if it was so offensive, why didn’t you say something then?

When will they stop showing old movies from the 30”s and 40”s that reflected social “norms” from that era? What about reruns of old sitcoms like In Living Color, The Dave Chappelle Show, etc. that poked fun at ALL people?

As I said in a separate post, I do not care for exploitation, exaggeration, taking things out of context, double standards, etc.

• Like 1

Bruh, they've already banned Speedy Gonzalez once, only bringing him back after protests from Mexicans, who were huge fans. A lot of old movies and cartoons have been banned. It's straight up something out of a George Orwell novel.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Bruh, they've already banned Speedy Gonzalez once, only bringing him back after protests from Mexicans, who were huge fans. A lot of old movies and cartoons have been banned. It's straight up something out of a George Orwell novel.

It’s like they want to do away with anything that shows people of different ethnicities working together not wanting to kill each other. Maybe that’s why football is on their hit list. It brings people together across all the lines they use to divide us. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

To me, its like "Banned Library Books."  While there may be some offensive material in these things, there is still a lot you can learn from them.

Seeing several schools have players test positive for COVID upon returning to campus.  Makes you wonder if the season will start on time.

15 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

To me, its like "Banned Library Books."  While there may be some offensive material in these things, there is still a lot you can learn from them.

Makes you wonder if the season will start at all particularly in this panic driven world we live in today.

20 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Makes you wonder if the season will start at all particularly in this panic driven world we live in today.

My father in law tested positive yesterday.  He thinks he contracted it a week ago.  He is still asymptotic which is the case 80% of the time.  Only 5% end in hospitalization and roughly 1% in death.  We will start on time 

18 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

My father in law tested positive yesterday.  He thinks he contracted it a week ago.  He is still asymptotic which is the case 80% of the time.  Only 5% end in hospitalization and roughly 1% in death.  We will start on time 

I am all for starting the season on time and I hope that we do but there are a lot of snowflakes out there that err on the side of extreme caution and/or "political correctness" and/or mob mentality.

34 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I am all for starting the season on time and I hope that we do but there are a lot of snowflakes out there that err on the side of extreme caution and/or "political correctness" and/or mob mentality.

Let the snowflakes cancel their season :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LOL said:

I'm encouraging people to lock down their social media feeds. There's an employee I know of who was reprimanded for liking a Tweet. 

Not posting or commenting. Just clicking "like." 

I interviewed for a job in a neighboring school district last week. One of the classes I would be teaching is Social Media Marketing. We discussed that class a lot in the interview...Actually that is the only class we discussed (The other two were Fashion Marketing and Sports & Entertainment Marketing)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

I interviewed for a job in a neighboring school district last week. One of the classes I would be teaching is Social Media Marketing. We discussed that class a lot in the interview...Actually that is the only class we discussed (The other two were Fashion Marketing and Sports & Entertainment Marketing)

When my daughter was in her senior year at UT-Austin she interned with Chuy's Restuarant's marketing department.  Part of her job was handling social media.  It is amazing how much thought and effort was put into providing the appropriate response to less than stellar comments made on social media. 

She just turned 28 last week and still is in marketing and does some social media marketing with her present position.  We were talking about social media the other day and fortunately she has enough sense to stay off of it with any social commentary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

When my daughter was in her senior year at UT-Austin she interned with Chuy's Restuarant's marketing department.  Part of her job was handling social media.  It is amazing how much thought and effort was put into providing the appropriate response to less than stellar comments made on social media. 

She just turned 28 last week and still is in marketing and does some social media marketing with her present position.  We were talking about social media the other day and fortunately she has enough sense to stay off of it with any social commentary.

It has always been crazy, but even more so now. I told the principals that I would explain the power of social media and why caution should be used before people speak on there.

They asked about the 1st amendment and I told them that I 100% support the first amendment, but also have the understanding that freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence and that would be relayed to the students early and often.

3 minutes ago, topher805 said:

It has always been crazy, but even more so now. I told the principals that I would explain the power of social media and why caution should be used before people speak on there.

They asked about the 1st amendment and I told them that I 100% support the first amendment, but also have the understanding that freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence and that would be relayed to the students early and often.

The problem with the right to free speech today is if you do not say the "right thing", be it right or wrong, and it goes against popular opinion, then you are issuing an apology, losing your job, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

The problem with the right to free speech today is if you do not say the "right thing", be it right or wrong, and it goes against popular opinion, then you are issuing an apology, losing your job, etc.

Cough*Drew Brees*Cough

I honestly thought he needed to retire...To keep things college, Dabo is catching flack right now

On 6/8/2020 at 7:41 AM, LOL said:

Lemme know if you ever need a guest speaker. I'll gladly come to your school and scare the bejesus outta your kids.   :D 

You’re not gonna do that streaker thing again are you? You should have given that up after college. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LOL said:

Nah, thanks to that annoying restraining order I'll be keeping my clothes on during public functions for the foreseeable future. 

By the growing size of the nursery at the annual SDC Admin/Mod retreat, we all may want to adopt a clothing on in private functions as well.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:34 PM, topher805 said:

Cough*Drew Brees*Cough

I honestly thought he needed to retire...To keep things college, Dabo is catching flack right now

Iowa and Kirk Ferentz will be the next ones. 

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

By the growing size of the nursery at the annual SDC Admin/Mod retreat, we all may want to adopt a clothing on in private functions as well.

Make sure Hardin gets that email. Please. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

Mav and I are just doing our part to propagate our superior genetics. You're welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Image may contain: 1 person, suit, text that says 'THE SAME PEOPLE PRAISING COLIN KAEPERNICK FOR TAKING A KNEE FOR HIS BELIEFS ARE THE SAME ONES WHO TOLD TIM TEBOW TO STOP TAKING A KNEE FOR HIS.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1