A Carthage Dawg Fan.

As a Dawg fan I wanted to see how the Dawg teams of the past from 2008 until now, stacked up against each other. 
I have watched every video I could find on Kgas, MaxPreps, Dave Campbell, and others. 
it was fun watching but it was really amazing to see how different they were and yet the same. 
2008 will always be special because it started the run of championships. 
2016 maybe my all time favorite because they were the cardiac kids. 
2017 in my mind was the best, after going back and watching all those teams. The talent on that team was amazing. The linebackers, wide receivers, running back, Oline, Dline, and secondary as a group was the perfect storm. 
2019 in my opinion had the best O line and that includes 5A. 
I went back and watched all the 4A and 5A state championship games that I have recorded and that Dawg O line was as good or better than the teams I watched. 
I could write 10 pages on what I watched these past weeks. 
It was well worth the time and gave me a new respect for the hard work the coaches and players and sacrifices they have made to be the best. 
Let’s Go Dawgs!!!!!!! and !

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aledo said:

Hudl is a good source to watch highlights. 

I watched the Hudl highlights, but I got a lot more from watching full games. 
it gave me a chance to watch each player in each position. I wanted to see where each teams strengths were and what made each team good enough to win a state championship. 

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

Disowning 2014?? 

Disowning is a strong word.  Outside of the 2016 season, 2014 may have been Surratt’s best coaching job since arriving in Carthage.  We lost so many to graduation from the 2013 state championship team, then were decimated with injuries to a point our starting RB was a freshman.  We were fortunate to win 6 games and make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

There will be a lot that argue, but 2017 was the best small school team I have ever seen. They played a couple of close games, but I don’t think we will see another team like that in a long time. That team was full of 3 year starters, plus a lot of sophomores who would go on to only lose 1 game in their HS careers. Crazy thing is Kelvontay got hurt early in the season, and didn’t even play. That was a D1 player, who wasn’t even on the field. Gates and Brown is one of the best HS LB tandems I have seen at any level. Both 230 lbs and could run sideline to sideline. Both had a mean streak. That was a fun team. When they turned it on, it was something else. What the offense did to Silsbee should be illegal. Best offensive performance I have seen. And that was in the 3rd round of the playoffs. That team just had another gear. Carthage fans like to talk about what teams could do at the higher levels, but that team was one that really could’ve competed in a division higher than them. 

• Thanks 1

I have 2017 1st and then 2008, 2019, 2013, and 2010 are all right there bunched up. I would have to give it to the 2019 team just based on them going 16-0, and their performance against LV in the state championship game. A lot of people said they were underdogs in that game. Dominated the 2nd half and put up 42 on the defending state champs. 

Carthage is kind of at the beginning of a new era. It’s time to see what the next groups can accomplish. 2016 - 2019 was a fun 4 year run where Carthage lost 3 games and won 3 state titles. Included a 40 game win streak. Think about the teams Carthage beat in that 4 year period. Undefeated against LV, PG, Gilmer, MH and Marshall. Dominated Henderson and Kilgore. Played in some of the best HS FB games you will see. Best 4 year stretch in Carthage history. 

26 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Carthage is kind of at the beginning of a new era. It’s time to see what the next groups can accomplish. 2016 - 2019 was a fun 4 year run where Carthage lost 3 games and won 3 state titles. Included a 40 game win streak. Think about the teams Carthage beat in that 4 year period. Undefeated against LV, PG, Gilmer, MH and Marshall. Dominated Henderson and Kilgore. Played in some of the best HS FB games you will see. Best 4 year stretch in Carthage history. 

The incoming Jr’s have not lost a football game since starting organized ball in 7th grade.  😳 Only problem is that just a small handful of them got varsity snaps last year because the Sr class had 33 and the Jr class had 35.  It’s going to take them a few games to get the feel of the game but when they do look out.  I expect the incoming Sr’s will be able to carry the team while they adjust.  Dropping down to 4A D2 will help.

21 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Must be nice being a Dawg fan . Impressive program and best  AD around. Alabama of High school Football. I wonder how many championships  will happen. 

There you go again Lion. The best football coach yes. The best AD would probably go to Argyle's AD.

Pleasant Grove program is obviously on a mission from God to dominate 4AD2 (and D1 if they ever move up) for as long as Gibson is there.

Something's gotta give.

At this point, I think you have to say the Hawks have the Buckeyes' number.

But it remains to be seen if they can take down Carthage year after year the way they've been doing to Gilmer.

18 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It’s been one heck of a ride. I’d probably rank them like this:

1. 2017

2. 2008

3. 2013

4. 2010

5. 2019

6. 2009

7. 2016

8. 2018 (lost in semifinals)

9. 2015 (lost in semifinals)

I tend to agree this is pretty spot on.  Only team I'm not sure where to rank is the 2009 team.  Incredible defense and offense was out right donkey stomping teams in the playoffs until the 13-12 title game against graham.  I think mexia may have been the only other team in the playoffs that kept it fairly close that year.  Think the Dawgs beat them by around 10 points.

20 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

He is the Athletic Director and head coach . Honestly I figured you would see that . I didn’t mean to get you upset. 

You did say he was the best AD around. Some would argue that and have a valid point. 

HC is a different story. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Agree 100%, it’s been amazing to watch.

19 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I'd be worried about Mart too! I heard they have a good number returning and if they win then they will be at #9. Once Aledo splits then we will be done. 

Indeed! Mart is always up there, great program.

So, is this possible split expected soon? Both schools would be 5A?

23 hours ago, Aledo said:

You think Carthage can overtake the rest of the state and at some point be in the lead of state titles? 

It depends entirely on whether Surratt, Preston & Company stay together as a team at Carthage. 

If they stay put, the sky is the limit!😜👌

• Like 1