The Smoakhouse Forums
Aledo

Playoff Questions

Please include which program you are posting about

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses?

2) What would you consider a deep playoff run?

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss?

4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust)

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field)

6) What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak?

7) What is your programs overall playoff record?

😎 Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes?

9) Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program?

10) Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams?

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses? I follow from start to finish-I go to as may games as I can.
2) What would you consider a deep playoff run?For Nac just making it:) Personally 3 rounds deep.
3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss? Depends on how close the game was-a close game makes it worse that it could have been us!! Blow out not so much!
4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust)
Nacogdoches Dragons-State or Bust!!!! Just Kidding-I would like to see a playoff win(don't have one since 1992) 
5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field)-I like the format we have!!
6) What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak? 2-2013&2014-Losing Bi-District both years
7) What is your programs overall playoff record? since 1982-we are 3-5-1 win in 1982-2 in 1992-Haven't won a playoff game since 1992
 Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes? follow everything
9) Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program? we are 1-1 in the old Texas Stadium
10) Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams? Yes everyone of them!!

Did not go to Nac I am a transplant.

• Like 1

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses?

I've always maintained that I make the playoffs every season....and usually to the state championship every season.  Prior to the 2019 season, the Longview Lobos were my go-to playoff team, but that has been ruined.  So I now go to whoever in East Texas is still playing late in the playoffs... OR...just an interesting statewide game (AKA SLC Vs. Allen or something like that).  I always enjoy the ride.  It's just more fun when it's my guys in red and white.

Third round or deeper.

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss?
A loss is a loss to me.  But knowing you lost to a great team makes it "better" I suppose.  We lost to Frisco Lone Star in the third round in 2015 and they advanced to the State championship (and lost).  They were a GREAT team.  

Marshall Mavericks.  We have a TON coming back on both sides of the ball.  BUUUUT.... we need a quarterback.  Not having spring ball hurt.  No 7 on 7 hurts even more.  We have a lot of of work to do when August gets here.  We should have an outstanding defense in 2020.  Most of the offense will be returning too... but we need that all important signal caller.  If we don't find it.... it could be a tough season.  If we do find it.... I'd say a season similar to 2018 (three rounds deep) or better.  Time will tell.

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field)
I use to be against the single site state title games.  But now that I've experienced it so many times.... NO DOUBT it's the best thing for the state.  I prefer Jerry's world.  But I think it's fair that Houston and San Antonio get their shot too.  Marshall had a playoff game at Reliant Stadium in Houston in 2018..... it's a barn compared to Arlington IMHO.  But I still think Houston deserves the right to host.  Seems fair.  Same with San Antonio... and after the renovations at the Alamodome are done...sounds like they too will have a better set up than Houston.  Other than state.... each team should decide where each game is played.  

Marshall is currently on a 7 year playoff streak, their longest in school history.  Has been to the playoffs 13 of the last 16 seasons.

38-31-2
I believe. 

8.) Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes?
I mostly pay attention to 5A.  But I enjoy 4A and 6A too.  

Marshall has never lost at new Pine Tree Stadium.  (6-0) there.  (2-0) in the playoffs.

I've seen several playoff games in Marshall.   

Carthage, Spring Hill, Garrison, Lindale (I think)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses?

I've always maintained that I make the playoffs every season....and usually to the state championship every season.  Prior to the 2019 season, the Longview Lobos were my go-to playoff team, but that has been ruined.  So I now go to whoever in East Texas is still playing late in the playoffs... OR...just an interesting statewide game (AKA SLC Vs. Allen or something like that).  I always enjoy the ride.  It's just more fun when it's my guys in red and white.

Third round or deeper.

A loss is a loss to me.  But knowing you lost to a great team makes it "better" I suppose.  We lost to Frisco Lone Star in the third round in 2015 and they advanced to the State championship (and lost).  They were a GREAT team.  

Marshall Mavericks.  We have a TON coming back on both sides of the ball.  BUUUUT.... we need a quarterback.  Not having spring ball hurt.  No 7 on 7 hurts even more.  We have a lot of of work to do when August gets here.  We should have an outstanding defense in 2020.  Most of the offense will be returning too... but we need that all important signal caller.  If we don't find it.... it could be a tough season.  If we do find it.... I'd say a season similar to 2018 (three rounds deep) or better.  Time will tell.

I use to be against the single site state title games.  But now that I've experienced it so many times.... NO DOUBT it's the best thing for the state.  I prefer Jerry's world.  But I think it's fair that Houston and San Antonio get their shot too.  Marshall had a playoff game at Reliant Stadium in Houston in 2018..... it's a barn compared to Arlington IMHO.  But I still think Houston deserves the right to host.  Seems fair.  Same with San Antonio... and after the renovations at the Alamodome are done...sounds like they too will have a better set up than Houston.  Other than state.... each team should decide where each game is played.  

Marshall is currently on a 7 year playoff streak, their longest in school history.  Has been to the playoffs 13 of the last 16 seasons.

38-31-2
I believe. 

8.) Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes?
I mostly pay attention to 5A.  But I enjoy 4A and 6A too.  

Marshall has never lost at new Pine Tree Stadium.  (6-0) there.  (2-0) in the playoffs.

I've seen several playoff games in Marshall.   

Carthage, Spring Hill, Garrison, Lindale (I think)

I’m getting old.  When did Carthage play in Marshall?

2 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Early 2000s?  2005ish?  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Lost to LE there around 2006. Low scoring game. 

• Thanks 1

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses? Closely, especially 4A.

2) What would you consider a deep playoff run? Semifinals or state are deep runs.

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss? NO.

4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust) Carthage, state or bust

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field) No one gets home field and that’s only, because Carthage has gotten the short end of that stick quite a few times and the extra long drives down to Houston or Southeast Texas is getting old... ha

6) What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak? 7?

7) What is your programs overall playoff record? I do not know.

😎 Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes? Follow our classification and others

9) Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program? Corsicana and won some nail biters at The Star.

10) Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams? No.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 10:13 AM, Aledo said:

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses? From start to finish

2) What would you consider a deep playoff run? 3 rounds deeps could argue 4

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss? I'm okay with that. Since 15' koff has lost to either the state champs or runner up. I'd be more upset if we lost because we didn't play well.

4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust) Malakoff Tigers, to win the big one of course but we are proud wherever our boys end their season

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field) I would do away with home field

6) What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak? 11 seasons, current, since 2009

7.) What is your programs overall playoff record?

I believe its 20-19 overall, 16-11 since 2009

😎 Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes?

Mainly 3A, but a little bit of 4a and 2a

Minny and Tyler

I go where there are good games playoffs and regular season

• Like 1

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses? I usually keep up with 2A and 3A. 

2) What would you consider a deep playoff run? At least 3rd round. 

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss? Yes

4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust) Joaquin Rams. After two years of playing on Thanksgiving weekend, I think people would be disappointed if we didn’t get there again. But the goal is much higher. 

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field) I’d like to see the 1 and 2 seeds get to host the first round games. 

6) What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak? 8 years (‘02-‘09). 

7) What is your programs overall playoff record? 12-16-1

😎 Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes? I’ll keep up with 4A as long as Carthage 

9) Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program? After knocking off Alto at Abe Martin last year, I gotta say I like it pretty good. 

10) Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams? We don’t host. (Yet) 

• Like 1

1. How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses? It definitely falls off a little bit. I keep up with the scores and go to some games here and there. But most of my going to games is based around what teams Longview might play if we were to continue winning so yea.

2. What would you consider a deep playoff run? Once you get to December, it's a deep playoff run.

3. If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss? Depends how close it is. I can't even begin to tell you how many close games we've been apart of only to see that be the closest game the team we lose to has all playoffs, and they go onto a Semi Final or Final run. But no, not really.

4. Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust) Longview, and Regional round is expectation most years. Depends on the season and team.

5. Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field). I think the TXHSFB playoff format is the best in the entire country for High School Football tbh. I love the addition of the home field advantage in round 1.

6. What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak? 19 years consecutively.

7. What is your programs overall playoff record? 70-42-1

8. Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes? Mostly follow whichever class Longview is in, but I keep up with most scores.

9. Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program? John E Kincaide Stadium. Prior to this past November, a lucky 11-0 at Lobo Stadium West. But alas, all great streaks must come to an end.

10. Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams? If I lived in Longview still, I'd be at everyone that was there. But not lucky enough to get to most playoff games at Lobo anymore.

• Like 1

MINERAL WELLS (4A D2)

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses?  I love to scoreboard watch and follow upsets.  I keep a close eye on certain schools because I have a lot of friends that are ATs in the HS setting that I can try and dream about the experience with them.

2) What would you consider a deep playoff run?  Regional Finals is "deep" if we want to generalize it.

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss?  Depends.  If you get your butt kicked then yes.  They were the way better team and deserved to win state.  If its close, "It could have been us" sticks in your head.

4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust)  Mineral Wells, we always set goals to make the playoffs.  We are not a school district with a deep football history.  However, the next 3 years we expect playoffs and continued improvement over that time.  This may be the most talent we have seen at one time (mostly sophomores and juniors) since the run 5-6 years ago.

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field)  Playoffs are fine.  I wish they would play all 1-3A D2 games on Thursday, 3A D1-5A D2 Friday, 5A D1-6A on Saturday.

6) What is your programs longest consecutive playoff streak?  3 years?

7) What is your programs overall playoff record?  No clue, probably not good.

8 ) Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes?  I follow all football, all of the time.

9) Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program?  Ram Stadium in Mineral Wells :)

10) Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams?  Yes.  Free admission and its usually the only time that I can get free to sit in our top notch press box.  We host a lot of big time games 2A-5A.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 10:13 AM, Aledo said:

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses?

I go to as many games I can, especially if a team in my area. 

Third or Fourth round.

Yes because teams that usually beats us in the playoffs at wins state or get to the championship: McKinney 1986, Stephenville 1994, Lincoln 2004, Aledo 2011 just to name a few.

Corsicana Tigers. Been a fan and a alum for more than 30 years. Most of our fans would tell you state of bust. But for me, I'd like us to play at least after Thanksgiving. We hadn't made a deep run since 2011 when we lost to Aledo in the semifinals. The last couple of years, we hadn't got out the first round.

I'd like to see the teams recuded, like it used to be. I'm very pleased that the championships are at one site.

Three

I have to do research on that one

I'll go if there are great teams playing no matter what classification it is.

There are so many place where we win some and lose some. I guess I'll go with ours (Tiger Stadium) since were are 2-1 there.

Depends on the teams. We always get first and second round lower classifications and those games are snoozers.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:13 AM, Aledo said:

1) How close do you follow the rest of the playoffs if your team loses?  All the way to the end

2) What would you consider a deep playoff run?  Quarterfinals

3) If a team beats you in the 1st or 2nd round but wins state, does that lessen the heartache of the early loss?  Just a little

4) Who is your team and what are your programs expectations going into each year? ex: (make the playoffs) (win a playoff game or two) (play Thanksgiving) (win region) (state or bust)  Grew up Texas High, but have been away too long and now live in CenTex, so follow Liberty Hill more than any other, but typically pick the best matchup within an hour during regular season.  Playoffs I tend to follow 4A and down and have a few special teams I like to follow to the end.

5) Is there anything you would like to do to the playoff format? ex: (reduce teams) (not allow anyone to play where the state game is played) (no one gets home field)  No, fine like it is.  I might consider a first round bye for anyone that would have to play a team with less than 3 or 4 wins.

😎 Do you just follow your classification in the playoffs or do you pay attention to other classes?  I watch all classes, but tend to stay with 2A - 4A the most.

9) Which stadium during the playoffs seems lucky to your program?  Judson

10) Do you watch playoff games at your home field between other teams?  No

1> I follow all the playoffs.

2> The playoffs are only six rounds. So at least four rounds would have to be "deep."

3> Nope. 

4> If you just want to play football, you and your buddies can find a vacant lot and get together whenever you want and play however you feel like playing, and not worry about running drills or working out or getting yelled at by coaches or having to keep your grades up. 

If you choose to put in the work to earn the right to lace up your cleats, strap on your helmet, and put that Yoemen jersey on on Friday nights, the whole purpose of taking that first step onto the practice field in August is to take your last step off the field at Cowboys Stadium in December. 

5> We need to go back to the way it was - District champ gets a first-round bye 

6> Not even sure. We rarely miss the playoffs. 

7> Not sure offhand. 

8> I follow all the playoffs. 

9> Waco ISD Stadium! LOL!

11> if I can. Wish we hosted more.