Discontinued rivalries/series you would like to see renewed

Mavchamp

I would love to see Celina and Pilot Point renew things again. We hated each other when I was in school. We grew up learning to despise the Bearcats. Pilot Point week was intense all around, and things would get pretty nasty between us and them leading up to the game. But it was a blast. It was always the "blackout" pep rally too, and the cheerleaders/band/drill team, everybody would always go all out. Hell, to this day, I still hate the look of orange and black and refuse the combination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Carthage versus Henderson

Why’d the Lions get scared and run away from the rivalry game?!

Their ability to only score one or two offensive touchdowns total in the last 3-4 years, maybe?

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

I want see PG vs Texas High time settle things bunch talk in town for years let's put on field I think it's time we played Arkansas High and LE is in district just imagine them two play Texarkana again show up would love it Hopefully near future can happen 

14 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Carthage versus Henderson

Why’d the Lions get scared and run away from the rivalry game?!

Y’all didn’t go 0-10 or 1-9 the year before. That’s how they roll. 

• Thanks 1

San Augustine  vs Center.   Use to be a war, 18 miles apart.  Center had an upperhand in most of the football games in the 60s 70s 80s , wish they would have played each other tje last 10 years. SA would have been a good matchup vs Center. Miss them days. 

1 hour ago, JR88 said:

Kilgore - Marshall

Was brief, but intense

Was a fantastic series from 2002-2012-ish.

District titles, must-win-to-get-in games, playoff games.....

Was generally a close game more often than not.

I agree...was a great series.  Always a big crowd.

• Like 1

Marshall Vs. Monroe Neville-  Was a GREAT series.  Mucho respect for the Neville program, one of the best in Louisiana 5A.  Games were intense and a good prep for district.

Marshall Vs. Kilgore- see above post.  Was one of East Texas' most fierce rivalries from 2002-2012.  

Marshall Vs. Ouachita- I don't think the Lions are where they once were....but I think they are still respectable.  Was a fantastic series in the 90's.  Had a brief renewal in the last decade.

Marshall Vs. Lufkin-  I'm a traditionalist.  This was a fantastic rivalry in the 80's and 90's.  Haven't played since 2003.  I'd like to see if we can hang with LP.  I'd like to think we could....but considering our struggles Vs. Longview....it's a tough call.

Marshall Vs. John Tyler- Same reason I picked LP.... tradition.  JT is Marshall's second oldest rival outside of Longview.  We breifly reunited as district mates in the early 2010's....but unfortunately it was an all-time low time for the Mav program.  I'd like to see where things stand these days.  I think it would be a tight series more often than not.  

Can't think of a single "rivalry" game that Longview isn't still playing.

Obviously we've had a lot of rivalry type games through the years.

Gilmer was a very big rival in the early, early days. Kilgore and Gladewater were huge rivals in the 30s to the 50s. We still play Marshall, Lufkin, John Tyler and I guess you could throw Lee in there but they never were on the level of the other 3 aside of maybe two or three years. Pine Tree obviously has the city rivalry aspect, but it was only competitive in the 80s. The four times we've played since are been complete blow outs.

I wish we would play Texas High more, glad we still have them as a scrimmage. Have always had great battles with the Tigers, but again, it's not a huge rivalry and hasn't been in 30 something years.

We've had some great battles with Mesquite Horn and Rockwall in district, but it's still not Lufkin or John Tyler level. Evangel was a fantastic rival in the early 200s, but they're no where near what they use to be. If we played West Monroe more regularly, maybe that could turn into something...but the three games we've played since King got here have been more respectful than anything (other than the fight song and flags they wave all game long).

Depending on how long we're in a district with Highland Park with, that would no doubt have to be up there in terms in budding rivalry. But right now it's just based off names and not actual games since we haven't played since '86.

Definitely a weird things for a Lobo to have to think about, but eh.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Not competitive enough for sure. Shame but you they were probably waiting for the day where Carthage  dropped out of classification.

They? You have always boasted yourself as the "#1 fan of the Lions!"

C'mon Lion70, stop the dam lying!

• Like 1

Joaquin vs Logansport, LA. We’ve scrimmaged them the last several years, but a game would be much better. Not playing Tenaha for two years is gonna be lame. Shelbyville vs Tenaha deserves another look. Timpson vs Shelbyville will happen this year for the first time in years. Because Center has almost 4x the enrollment of any of the other four Shelby county schools, they don’t have a natural rival. SA is the same size as those, and for some reason, Center has never developed a rivalry with Nacogdoches. I think they’ve beaten Carthage once in the past 20 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Always thought it was odd Joaquin didn’t play logansport. Nac played center a few years ago but unfortunately I believe wasn’t much of a game. I think around mid 2000s. 

We played center a few times I know my senior year in 2006 and two more times after that.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

We played center a few times I know my senior year in 2006 and two more times after that.

Would be interesting to play Center since ex-Nac coaches are there. 

Nac holds the series lead with Center-29-1-1.

Have not played Center since 2009, That series wasn't doing anyone any good. Center has not beaten Nac since 1933.

16 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Always thought it was odd Joaquin didn’t play logansport. Nac played center a few years ago but unfortunately I believe wasn’t much of a game. I think around mid 2000s. 

We stopped playing games against them after ‘03. I’m not real clear on the reasons why. I know both current coaches well, and they would love to resume the series, but there are several things across the state line that make it difficult. To start with, their new realignment starts in odd years, ours in even. So one team would either have to settle for a nine game season or find someone willing to play only once. Also, Louisiana playoff seeding is based on power points, and they get no points for playing out of state teams. With them being 1A, it would be extremely difficult to make up for a week where they get no points. They could beat a Texas state champion by 50 and it would cost them 2-3 playoff seeds, which would mean the difference in hosting 4 playoff games or having to travel. So I guess we’ll stick to the current scrimmage format for now. 

Teague vs Fairfield have only played twice since 2003 if you don’t count scrimmages and it is finally back this year and next year hopefully it will stay for year’s to come. It was always the best week in freestone County year in and year out didn’t matter if someone was 9-0 or 0-9 the game was always good!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

We stopped playing games against them after ‘03. I’m not real clear on the reasons why. I know both current coaches well, and they would love to resume the series, but there are several things across the state line that make it difficult. To start with, their new realignment starts in odd years, ours in even. So one team would either have to settle for a nine game season or find someone willing to play only once. Also, Louisiana playoff seeding is based on power points, and they get no points for playing out of state teams. With them being 1A, it would be extremely difficult to make up for a week where they get no points. They could beat a Texas state champion by 50 and it would cost them 2-3 playoff seeds, which would mean the difference in hosting 4 playoff games or having to travel. So I guess we’ll stick to the current scrimmage format for now. 

Are you sure that's right about no points for playing out of states?

I always remember West Monroe and Evangel fans keeping up with our seasons because they needed us to do well etc. Not to mention all the times we've played Ruston, Ouachita and Neville over the years.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Are you sure that's right about no points for playing out of states?

I always remember West Monroe and Evangel fans keeping up with our seasons because they needed us to do well etc. Not to mention all the times we've played Ruston, Ouachita and Neville over the years.

The way the Logansport coach explained it to me, it hurts the 1A schools the most. The difference in realignment years is the biggest hurdle. 

On 5/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, trueblue82 said:

Joaquin vs Logansport, LA. We’ve scrimmaged them the last several years, but a game would be much better. Not playing Tenaha for two years is gonna be lame. Shelbyville vs Tenaha deserves another look. Timpson vs Shelbyville will happen this year for the first time in years. Because Center has almost 4x the enrollment of any of the other four Shelby county schools, they don’t have a natural rival. SA is the same size as those, and for some reason, Center has never developed a rivalry with Nacogdoches. I think they’ve beaten Carthage once in the past 20 years. 

Garrison played Center a lot back in the 60s with Center thrashing us most of the time.  Back in the early 2000s Garrison whipped up on them pretty good a few times.  I can't remember the last time we played, but I think Center has won the last couple of times we played ...

31 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison played Center a lot back in the 60s with Center thrashing us most of the time.  Back in the early 2000s Garrison whipped up on them pretty good a few times.  I can't remember the last time we played, but I think Center has won the last couple of times we played ...

Now that Garrison looks to be 2A for the foreseeable future, it does Center no good to play any of their.neighbors. They could beat Garrison, Timpson, Tenaha, Joaquin, Shelbyville or SA by 40. So what? You beat a school with less than 1/3 of your enrollment. What happens in a year that one of those teams is loaded and they pull the upset? Center’s coaching staff would be tarred and feathered on the courthouse square. It’s literally a nothing to gain, everything to lose scenario.